Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/19/2019 12:22 pm  #11

Re: Name Suggestions/Critiques

Darknes wrote:

So I'm looking to make my own Hockey Alt-History where it's America's Past time instead of baseball which would lead to the larger amount of teams and the locations used. Please ask any questions about the team names or if you'd like to suggest something different for one of the cities.

I planned on having a Chicago Zephyrs for my baseball league(s), you don't mind sharing the name do ya?

5/19/2019 12:45 pm  #12

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Darknes wrote:

So I'm looking to make my own Hockey Alt-History where it's America's Past time instead of baseball which would lead to the larger amount of teams and the locations used. Please ask any questions about the team names or if you'd like to suggest something different for one of the cities.

I planned on having a Chicago Zephyrs for my baseball league(s), you don't mind sharing the name do ya?

Nope, not at all. I just used Zephyrs one as a railway reference plus it fit with the backstory of the original owner being an art mogul and he wanted an Artsy term for Wind for his team.

5/19/2019 1:02 pm  #13

Darknes wrote:

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Darknes wrote:

Nope, not at all. I just used Zephyrs one as a railway reference plus it fit with the backstory of the original owner being an art mogul and he wanted an Artsy term for Wind for his team.

Windy City and Zephyrs go hand and hand imo

5/19/2019 2:36 pm  #14

FC Macbeth wrote:

3. Tallinn Songsters
In 1987, a number of Baltic states organised a revolution against the USSR to restore freedom to Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia (we're focusing on this country). How do they do it, you say? By literally singing. I'm not kidding, this is what they actually did to achieve independence! Even Soviet tanks can't stop them from constantly belting out patriotic folk songs. No bloodshed, no violence, none of that Tiananmen Square-style sh*t. Just purely singing from their own hearts until the Soviets give them independence, even it takes 4 years before finally giving in.

If the KHL is to expand the league to the Baltic regions, Tallinn, Estonia could potentially house a hockey team there. If Latvia has one (Dinamo Riga), why not Estonia?

I'd suggest "Tallinn Neelab HL". "Neelab" is Estonian for "swallow" (national bird of Estonia), and "HL" is "Hokiklubi" or "hockey club".

5/19/2019 5:59 pm  #15

CCLXXXVII wrote:

FC Macbeth wrote:

3. Tallinn Songsters
In 1987, a number of Baltic states organised a revolution against the USSR to restore freedom to Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia (we're focusing on this country). How do they do it, you say? By literally singing. I'm not kidding, this is what they actually did to achieve independence! Even Soviet tanks can't stop them from constantly belting out patriotic folk songs. No bloodshed, no violence, none of that Tiananmen Square-style sh*t. Just purely singing from their own hearts until the Soviets give them independence, even it takes 4 years before finally giving in.

If the KHL is to expand the league to the Baltic regions, Tallinn, Estonia could potentially house a hockey team there. If Latvia has one (Dinamo Riga), why not Estonia?

I'd suggest "Tallinn Neelab HL". "Neelab" is Estonian for "swallow" (national bird of Estonia), and "HL" is "Hokiklubi" or "hockey club".

Yeah, that could work too.

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

5/22/2019 10:32 pm  #16

Now I'm starting to think about an European American Football League..I might use that Talinn idea in some form.

7/02/2019 3:06 pm  #17

I'm struggling for a Boston team name from just after WWII for a football team. I've considered Shamrocks, but discarded because of the Celtics. The Unicorns, which was a contender for the the NBA team before Celtics was chosen. And the Riders, which I really like, but I already have a team named the Lancers, and both logos would likely look very similar as a man riding a horse, and I don't know what to name Detroit if I get rid of the Lancers.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

7/02/2019 8:12 pm  #18

Dan O'Mac wrote:

I'm struggling for a Boston team name from just after WWII for a football team. I've considered Shamrocks, but discarded because of the Celtics. The Unicorns, which was a contender for the the NBA team before Celtics was chosen. And the Riders, which I really like, but I already have a team named the Lancers, and both logos would likely look very similar as a man riding a horse, and I don't know what to name Detroit if I get rid of the Lancers.

For which sport, Dan? I like Riders too, but I can see the issue with Lancers. Lancers is a great Detroit name, though I'm biased since I used that for my old hockey league, the UHA.

Possibles: Messengers, Clovers, Tricorns, Rebels, Bluecoats, Anchors or anything else nautical.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

7/03/2019 9:01 am  #19

Steelman wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

For which sport, Dan? I like Riders too, but I can see the issue with Lancers. Lancers is a great Detroit name, though I'm biased since I used that for my old hockey league, the UHA.

Possibles: Messengers, Clovers, Tricorns, Rebels, Bluecoats, Anchors or anything else nautical.

To clarify, the football I mentioned is American Football. But thank you, I definitely need to kick a few of these around and see what I can get.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

7/03/2019 11:59 pm  #20

Dan O'Mac wrote:

If you want an interesting story for a generic name, I'd go with Dragons for Boston. It's a revolutionary war reference to the Green Dragon Tavern where Paul Revere's ride began and was a meeting place for many of the revolutionary groups.

Board footera