Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/21/2019 2:32 am  #11

Re: Torland Hockey League: THL 2.0

Section30 wrote:

Port Alrene looks great! I do have a couple questions though. I noticed that they have two different pairs of breezers. I just was curious about that because at this time teams usually only had one pair and it was usually a block color. I will also suggest maybe darkening the shade of red to more of a maroon, right now it is like a brick red that I think looks kinda strange.
Overall, this is a great start and I look forward to seeing whats next!

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Although a pretty good start, I think I will sideline until all four are presented. I am awfully curious about the color set for a costal team, and I am surprised that there isn't some type of uniform or logo explanation section in your post given the deep history of Torland. I am not sold on this one because of the shade of red. I would either darken it to go in the direction of brown, like a ship, or just go with a truer red color, which would make a classic maroon/red and gold/athletic gold look. Either way, I think if there was a tweak put it into the story naturally. Have the raw creation you have set up used until it is time for an update and base the newer uniforms and logos off of constructive criticism down the line. No team is perfect and that is a part of history, but when it is right the fans adore them for years until they screw up again and have to do it all over (like the Sabers or the Canucks). I can't wait.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the great feedback! Good catch on the pants, they were just supposed to have red pants. The 1960 Bruins actually had two pairs, black and yellow, but while I experimented, I ultimately decided on just one color for the Anchors. I'll make that adjustment as soon as a primary color is settled. So I definitely dropped the ball on identity explanations, I'm gonna go back and redo all the posts to include more about them. Thanks for mentioning that. Meanwhile, I'll touch on some historical elements here.

So the brick is actually a feature unique to Port Alrene because the western side of the harbor is actually called the Bricktown Wharves, and most of the older parts of the city in Oldtown and the harbor areas features lots of brick structures and infrastructure. The original Anchors team played in an old rink in Bricktown, even though the newer Harbor Dome is on the east side now. The anchor has been a Port Alrene symbol since the early 1800's when it was just a deep harbor stopping point for larger vessels needing safety, since the harbor is on the leeward side of the island, it was a natural shelter from the vicious Arctic storms coming in from the North Pacific and the Bering Sea. So with that being said, what do y'all think about a darker brick color such as the one below? I like the original color but I'm open to suggestions and y'alls C&C is always fantastic.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

6/21/2019 5:50 pm  #12

I think that the darker shade looks great, it is brick enough to fit in with the history of the city but dark enough to look good with the gold.

6/21/2019 5:54 pm  #13

I prefer this brick too but suggest sticking with your original colors for a few years before adjusting the uniform to a cleaner/better looking color. Teams don’t make tweaks to the uniform the day they come out after fans pass judgement because they have usually produced stuff for that look. It just seems more realistic to me.

6/21/2019 9:40 pm  #14

I'm really happy to know Torland has a hockey league! I was a close lurker of the baseball league, and huge fan of Engor. Eager to support a team in my favorite sport as well

6/22/2019 11:47 pm  #15

Section30 wrote:

I think that the darker shade looks great, it is brick enough to fit in with the history of the city but dark enough to look good with the gold.

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

I prefer this brick too but suggest sticking with your original colors for a few years before adjusting the uniform to a cleaner/better looking color. Teams don’t make tweaks to the uniform the day they come out after fans pass judgement because they have usually produced stuff for that look. It just seems more realistic to me.

I've updated the original post. I believe I'll keep the original color for a season or two before changing to an updated color. Thanks for the C&C!

Nark24 wrote:

I'm really happy to know Torland has a hockey league! I was a close lurker of the baseball league, and huge fan of Engor. Eager to support a team in my favorite sport as well

Thanks man! Stoked to see who you end up casting your allegiance with!

6/23/2019 3:11 am  #16

PORTARRA WHALES

- #9 D Anton O'Reilly / #35 G Maxwell Blunt

Quick Facts:

• City: Portarra, Galapetra
  • Nickname: Whales
  • Owner: Seymour Duval
  • Head Coach: Cyrus Street
  • Home Ice: Market Marina Center

About the City:

Portarra is a seaport on the northern mainlaind of Torland, situated in a natural cove in Cooley Bay along the mouth of the Gavas River. The original settlement in Torland, the old Fort Tor, once existed in the general location of the eventual city center of the most continuously inhabited city in Torland. The original Market Marina became a thriving place to buy and sell fish and seafood and many fisherman soon called it home. Portarra grew rapidly and is a sprawling, somewhat unorganized city, but still a thriving port, fishing, and factory town. The emergence of whales in the bay caused an influx of whalers to the area before ordinances were placed against fishing them in the bay. Louie the Whale, with a massive scar from a harpoon, was a frequent visitor and eventually inspired the widely popular Torland seafood chain Honey Whale. The people of Portarra are hardworking, if a bit eccentric and aloof toward other cities. Portarra is very diverse though, as people from all over the world found it to be a place to build a name for themselves. The aura of the city, nicknamed the Foggy City, only enhances the unique and unusual vibes of the city. Their natural rivalry with Port Alrene has engulfed into flame in recent years with both cities looking to establish dominance on the economic sector along with the advent of more organized sports. Owner Seymour Duval made his money in collecting taxes on several harbor wharves that he owns and in the box factory business.

About the Identity:

Portarra drew on their local lore with Louie the Whale in choosing a simple navy-white scheme and a circular whale-tail logo. The late 50's brought on renewed public outcry against hunting whales and instead embracing the whales that naturally migrated through Cooley Bay. Duval looked to capitalize on the public feeling and focused the brand toward the actual whale and not the despised whalers. It worked, as the city immediately embraced it. The uniforms are clean and simple, featured a thin double-stripe near the wrists and classic hem striping. When questioned about the plain white socks, Duval was rumored to have barked, "I'll give 'em some stripes when they win something." The angular numbers were borrowed from the numerals used to number the wharves in Gavas Harbor.

About the Team:

The new Whales club in Portarra began having weekly scrimmages to prepare for the new season and audition potential players as owner Seymour Duval began to construct his roster. His philosophy was markedly different than his rivals over in Port Alrene, as Duval focused on toughness and defense. Goalie Maxwell Blunt will be his team cornerstone, a 19-year-old with incredible awareness and steady leadership. His backup will be Thurman Reese, a veteran long in the tooth but able to offer mentorship.

Following the toughness protocol, Duval set his sights on emerging defensive talent Anton O'Reilly who carries a quiet assassin-like quality to him. At just 22, O'Reilly's stick has vastly improved, making him a scoring threat from the back line. He will pair with teenager Grover Laughlin. On the front line, Duval focused on hard-nosed, non-flashy players who could skate well. Marlin Parr and Tyson Sallee fit the bill, along with heady veteran Ed Dooley for a blue-collar forward group. Hockey stalwart Cyrus Street was hired to coach the team.

Up Next: Chasonne Heralds

6/23/2019 11:13 am  #17

The Whales remind me of a navy-blue Detroit Red Wings.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

6/23/2019 5:56 pm  #18

Really like the identities. It's evident too you put a lot of time and effort into making the backstory for not only the league but the country, too. This adds a whole other layer and elevates the series as a whole. Can't wait to see the rest of the teams, this is great so far.

6/23/2019 6:19 pm  #19

Really happy to see this continue from the boards Steel! Well Torland in general, your baseball concepts were high class, and so far these are too, ill wait till all identities are revealed before making my alliances. Btw, will any cities that had a Star League team get a hockey team? In specific San Ferrio, I was a Tars fan and would be interested in continuing my support for San Ferrio teams! 

6/23/2019 11:10 pm  #20

Love the whole backstory behind the team. They look really classy in the two tone uniforms with the simple logo, I can tell this will be here for a while.

Board footera