Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/25/2020 6:50 pm  #461

Re: AltFL - Design Thread

sevsdast wrote:

What do you do as an owner anyways?

The whole league is created by everyone.  Very democratic here.  You'll notice that we love a good poll.  After the owner draft owners are then in control of a particular team.  They can then expand that team's identity how they would like.  They can make team traditions, pick fights for rivalries, build the stadium, etc.  Eventually we are going to play our league out in a fantasy football league so that the 'historical narrative' spirit of the boards is a living one.  

5/25/2020 7:05 pm  #462

Nice to see such an active 1st day member with sevsdast!  Friendly advice though,  instead of posting 3 straight times, you could always add to what you posted by hitting the edit button.  I do this all the time myself when I realize I wanted to add more to my comment, haha!

Welcome aboard man!

5/25/2020 7:57 pm  #463

Dan O'Mac's Thoughts on the AltFL West:

Los Angeles:
I was expecting more options with a side view, but didn't see how that would work without looking too similar to the Nashville Predators. Colors are okay, and will be a unique scheme it appears.

San Diego:
This was a close one for me. Same colors, so that wasn't much of a factor. I decided on the more naval themed than ship themed option with Option B. Having the logo in the wordmark was a nice touch, and the logo can be stripped down to just the shield or the anchor fairly easily.

Arizona:
I love how bright Option A was, and the move to make the Scorpion into an "S" was a nice move. However, I didn't like how massive that made the tail look, and ended up getting a more centipede look from it than scorpion. Option B was more in mind of what I was picturing when I heard the name Scorpions. I do think that A had the better wordmark, but the logo still put B over A in my voting.

Utah:
With 6 entries, I started by ruling out Option B. I wasn't quite sure what I was supposed to be looking at, and once I came to the conclusion that it appeared to be a bite out of Utah with the raptor peeking out of it, the logo left me wanting more. I ruled out C next. Although I liked the idea, nothing about it made me feel the logo said "Raptor". It felt a bit generic to me. I ruled out A and F because I wasn't a fan of the skull route. Though in looking at it a second time, I'm not sure F was going for a skull, or just a white colored raptor. I did feel F's wordmark was most primal feeling of any of the options. When it came to D and E to get my vote then, I went with E as the action of the leaping and the more definition on that raptor, plus the eye in the "A" of the wordmark was better in my opinion, so I went that route.

Seattle:
So this one was hard. I really liked all three of these, and quite unexpectedly, none featured green much, which is something I've come to expect with all Seattle concepts. I loved A's color scheme, and the way the fish was colored. For B, I liked the way it was meant to look like native imagery, and I think that logo would work well on a helmet. C had nice use of the burgundy (?) and light blue, and the fish jumping in front of the S is done well. Overall, I voted for A, but had I looked at them at a different time, I may have voted differently.

Portland:
Much like Seattle, this was tough. C was the first one I ruled out. Combining a bear's head into a paw just didn't do it for me, though it was a very well done logo. I would've liked to see the outline on the wordmark be the same size as the outline on the logo. I liked that B went Red, White, and Blue. It's actually not a common color scheme for the league. However, I felt the bear head to be too generic for me. On the flip side, I liked how unique the design of the bear head on A was. However, really liked the design of the paw print on D, especially with the claws being trees, and had to give them my vote.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

5/25/2020 7:57 pm  #464

I'm glad my Raptor logo went over well, I was hoping my Grizz concept would do well too but seeing as though Gritty came up with a pretty similar idea, with better colors, I can see how his won out over mine. For anyone wondering, i went with Steel Blue and Red over my initial idea of Green and Yellow because, well i had just designed Utah, and when I ended up switching them from Red and Yellow to Green and Yellow, I swapped Portland too.

Outside of those two, I really like the rest of the class. Seattle looks great, love the color scheme. Arizona, I was a big fan of this, I think it does much more justice to a Scorpions name than the other option did, with it's less abstract design. San Diego was one I was going to try but I had trouble finding a place to start so props for being able to simplify the boat that well and making a really classy look, although I was hoping for a bit of yellow in there. Finally Los Angeles, a bit of an awkward name, not a big fan of it, but Gritty you out did yourself again by making something i quite like out of it. The logo does have a bit of a childish nature to it but I think it kinda works. The color scheme is on point as well.

5/25/2020 8:17 pm  #465

sevsdast wrote:

Come on! I have more posts than n00bthtpwnz!

It's not about the posts, he had expressed interest when the league was being developed and thus earned the right to be an owner. 

5/25/2020 10:07 pm  #466

sevsdast wrote:

Come on! I have more posts than n00bthtpwnz! Sorry if this offends you but these are facts.

Admin here. First of all, welcome to the boards. We're glad you're here!

Since you brought it up, I want to be clear. We appreciate quality posts and users here, so number of posts has zero bearing toward anyone's standing around here. I appreciate your enthusiasm though! Take a look around and get to know how people write and interact and I think you'll find a very engaging, helping community here.

This goes out to everyone: Our fantasy sports leagues are organized by Gritty, if you have questions about potential participation, design concerns, etc, please PM him directly instead of filling up the design threads. He's always eager to answer questions and does an excellent job of organizing everything and everyone. Let's also respect the process and try to keep this train on the tracks.

Ok, that's all. Carry on. 

/adminhat

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

5/25/2020 10:15 pm  #467

sevsdast wrote:

Come on! I have more posts than n00bthtpwnz! Sorry if this offends you but these are facts.

And yes, you may have more posts that they do. But I've already started skimming past most of your posts because they aren't adding to things. Yes, provide input and your thoughts, interact with the creators. But let them tell the story. Provide cities for expansion, new players, team names, etc. when the creator asks for them. Providing good, positive feedback (and yes, constructive criticism is good feedback) is awesome, helpful, and will build the community.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

5/25/2020 11:42 pm  #468

sevsdast wrote:

Sorry about that, I was upset about the owner method, I calmed down and I am better than ever right now!

Welcome to the boards, I am known as a franchise thief (ask QCS), so be prepared to see some drama, usually involving me.

Gritty wrote:

sevsdast wrote:

The whole league is created by everyone.  Very democratic here.  You'll notice that we love a good poll.  After the owner draft owners are then in control of a particular team.  They can then expand that team's identity how they would like.  They can make team traditions, pick fights for rivalries, build the stadium, etc.  Eventually we are going to play our league out in a fantasy football league so that the 'historical narrative' spirit of the boards is a living one.  

Pick fights, maybe throw some cheap shots at people, make funny asides to what Mario characters we’d want on our teams, it’s all around a good time.

Last edited by ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth (5/25/2020 11:48 pm)

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

5/26/2020 12:01 am  #469

sevsdast wrote:

Fall in love with other owners and merge teams to make one big happy team..... Unless I’ve been doing this wrong.

5/26/2020 12:21 am  #470

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

sevsdast wrote:

Fall in love with other owners and merge teams to make one big happy team..... Unless I’ve been doing this wrong.

No... no this sounds right.

Board footera