Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/03/2020 10:39 pm  #1

Project CLT (12/30)

Welcome to Project CLT! I'm aiming to demonstrate Charlotte's unique potential for sports names and how many people don't bother to do their research and end up with either a generic name or one that doesn't actually represent the city itself.Ā (By the way, it's pronounced See-El-Tee, like the airport code.)Ā 

I have several rules for myself to try and stretch my own creativity.Ā 

1.Ā IĀ cannotĀ use the "Carolina" geographic name. I hate this name and I think its usage lends itself to creating a team not unique to Charlotte, which is what I'm aiming to avoid.
2.Ā Every name must have a direct inspiration from theĀ Charlotte metro area. Mecklenburg County and its nine surrounding counties are all fair game.Ā 
3.Ā IĀ cannotĀ useĀ regal, pirate, or aviation names. Of course, the easy thing to do is something like Monarchs, Regals, Kings, or Dukes. I'm showing you don't need those for Charlotte. Piracy names make no sense, the coast is 250+ miles away from Charlotte (and coastal residents will often seek shelter in Charlotte during hurricanesĀ becauseĀ of how inland it is). Aviation names are slightly better, as the Carolinas Aviation MuseumĀ isĀ in Charlotte, but Kill Devil Hills is 300+ miles away and I think the aviation names are overplayed anyway.
4.Ā IĀ cannotĀ use any name currently or formerly used by a Charlotte sports team. No Panthers, Hornets, Knights, Checkers, Hounds, Bobcats, Cougars, Orioles, etc.
5.Ā IĀ mustĀ use either blue or green in my color schemes. Charlotte is a "green city" and blue is often associated with the city itself. Both colors are the base of our two flags.Ā 

These names are meant to be used for any sport, but some are more suited to one sport than others. For example, there are several names with "FC" in them. That's clearly meant for soccer. I've come up with 30 names based on 19 inspirations and I'll be going through them in a random order. I'll be posting them three at a time, basically as soon as I get done with them. With all that said, I'm going to be doing less updates than I normally would, but feel free to leave any kind of comments you feel you should. If you think something will seriously elevate my work, by all means, let me know! One last thing: no uniforms, just because that's a little too much time I would spend on this project, plus each name isn't meant for one sport or another.

Without further ado, presenting Project CLT #1: the Charlotte Firebirds!
You may be wondering where the name comes from. Well, in front of the Mint Museum and Knight Theater is a massive statue namedĀ Firebird. If you want to know more about the statue itself (it's pretty interesting), you can check that outĀ here. Of course, that odd form wouldn't make for a great sports logo, so I only took the name from the statue. I wanted to represent something pretty common: a geometric phoenix-like creature rising. Keeping with my blue constraints, the color scheme utilizes black and electric blue highlights that pop. The secondary is the famous Charlotte Crown, but modified to fit the geometric aesthetic the bird uses.Ā 

Up next, Project CLT #2: the Charlotte Patriots!
I know about the New England Patriots, so this obviously wouldn't be used for football. That said, Charlotte has a deep and fascinating Revolutionary War history. The Battle of Charlotte stalled General Cornwallis as he tried to march up the South, leading to him writing in his diary that Charlottetown (as it was known back then) was "hornet's nest of rebellion". Obviously this is why Charlotte's NBA team is called the Hornets but the rest of Charlotte's rebellious history deserves a look as well. The logo takes plenty of inspiration from Charlotte's official flag (not the civic one, we have two, but don't get them confused) with the color scheme and Scottish striping (the Charlotte area was a hotbed for Scottish immigration). However, the seal has been replaced with the Charlotte Crown, residing within the many circles that emblazon the city's flag. The secondary is the crosses in a rectangular fashion, color swapped for uses on light backgrounds.

For today's final team, presenting Project CLT #3: Charlotte 1768 FC!
This is one of those soccer names i was talking about earlier, by the way. The name comes from the year Charlottetown was incorporated, 1768. The primary is a shield with a stylized hornet's nest on it, leaning into hornet imagery without being called the "Hornets". The font I used is Rockwell Std Condensed, the same font the old Hornets used and one I feel really represents Charlotte (along with Futura, the font used on the presentation). With other teams like San Diego 1904 FC and Mainz 05 also named after years, Charlotte 1768 serves to hearken back to the city's heritage while creating an identity future generations of Charlotteans can adore.Ā 

So that's it for today! What do you think?Ā 

C&C Welcome!

Last edited by QCS (5/13/2020 7:57 pm)

5/04/2020 9:45 am  #2

Re: Project CLT (12/30)

I love the ideas for these.

For the Firebirds, I feel like it's missing something, perhaps another color to make that logo pop.

For the Patriots, I like the shield/flag idea, and feel you made the right call in the shield as the primary, it's a stronger mark. I honestly really like the look and setup, but from a national perspective, I don't know if people would "get" it, as from a national perspective, I feel people think imagery more in line with New England and George Mason University, that are more generic designs.

For the 1768 FC, I don't see a hive, I see a pinecone. I am not quite sure how that would be rectified in the minimalist style you have on that. But it's a good look, and I really like that shade of blue you selected for that logo.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

5/04/2020 12:11 pm  #3

Dan O'Mac wrote:

I love the ideas for these.

For the Firebirds, I feel like it's missing something, perhaps another color to make that logo pop.

For the Patriots, I like the shield/flag idea, and feel you made the right call in the shield as the primary, it's a stronger mark. I honestly really like the look and setup, but from a national perspective, I don't know if people would "get" it, as from a national perspective, I feel people think imagery more in line with New England and George Mason University, that are more generic designs.

For the 1768 FC, I don't see a hive, I see a pinecone. I am not quite sure how that would be rectified in the minimalist style you have on that. But it's a good look, and I really like that shade of blue you selected for that logo.

Thanks for the feedback! I understand where you're coming from for the Patriots, but the point of this project isn't necessarily for people to "get" it, it's more so to demonstrate potential. I can't think of another team that uses the Scottish crosses on a national level, so it'd be unique in that manner. Yeah, the hive needs some work. That's one I'm gonna come back to and iterate on. The hornet's nest I made has some potential so that's one I'm going to develop further.

5/04/2020 3:13 pm  #4

I'm back with three more teams! These names are a little more unique than there first three and I think you'll like them!

First up for today, Project CLT #4: the Charlotte Records!

Everyone's heard of bluegrass, right? Well, I'll bet you didn't know that the genre's name comes from Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Band, and that his first ever record was recorded in Charlotte, not Nashville or Kentucky! In fact, by the late 1930s, Charlotte was the nation's leading producer in records (though of course that's not true anymore). There's a plaque on South Tryon that commemorates this feat, which is what you see in the "inspiration" box. As for the logos, I thought an actual record would be unique and fitting. The gold plays into both "gold records" and a touch of Charlotte's royal moniker. It says "Baseball Club" on the logo, but that could easily be replaced with any sport, so it's just there as an example.The secondaries are the record surrounded by a "C" for Charlotte and that "C" in the style of a record. I think this name represents a part of Charlotte's history not many know about, making it perfect for this project!

Next, Project CLT #5: the Charlotte Electrics!
Charlotte is known as "The New Energy Capital" with several energy companies headquartered in the city, most notably Duke Energy (quick aside: you know the bottle opener-shaped skyscraper in the Charlotte skyline? That's the Duke Energy Center and it's one of two buildings in that style, the other is in Shanghai). As such, I thought it appropriate for a team to take inspiration from it (this theme will come up again). The logo is a mostly closed "C" with a simple lightning bolt going through it, quickly and efficiently communicating the team's name. The green comes from Charlotte's use of green, it's on the civil flag (the one with the crown, not the blue one) and lots and lots of trash cans in the city. The yellow is simply to highlight the lightning bolt, nothing special about its shade. The secondary is just the lightning bolt.Ā Ā 

Third, Project CLT #6: the Charlotte Greenbacks!Originally this was going to be Cash FC, but I thought Greenbacks would make it more applicable to other sports. Maybe a soccer team could use Cash FC and be nicknamed the Greenbacks? Anyway, Charlotte is known for its banking economy yet no team has referenced that (in fact, Charlotte is the nation's second largest center of banking, after New York). Additionally, Charlotte used to host a national mint, founded after the gold rush to process the gold found. That structure was bought and moved to its current location Uptown, where it serves as the Mint Museum of Art. The logo is an italicized "C" with a bill trailing it. The number and text are just examples, they would probably be filled in with the year of founding if this team was real. The secondary is the "C" by itself. I think this one has a ton of potential and a better designer than me could probably do something really cool with this idea.Ā 

There we go, three more down! What do you think? C&C Wanted!

Last edited by QCS (5/04/2020 3:14 pm)

5/04/2020 3:51 pm  #5

Damn QCS Iā€™d rather keep up being involved in this community over the other! Wish I saw this here first. The second batch seem much more unique but I donā€™t think Records is the best name for sports. I like the inspiration a lot, but I would shift the focus to the Blue Grass aspect or maybe bring a more powerful name that backs the record theme. These examples are all horrible, but something like Producers or Needles (a different object needed for the playing of a record. Could see a typical hornet theme being made around this though being based on the stinger.)

Though Iā€™ve seen it on the boards with Steelmanā€™s THL, Electrics would be unique in the real world. The part Iā€™m getting stuck at on this one would be relating the city to the name with the logo. Right now Iā€™m seeing a Chicago like C with a lightning bolt. I think you can make this more city specific, even if it comes off as generic the goal is to make the city pop. Personally, Iā€™d like to see a storm over the Duke Energy Center not just told about it. Or even get real different and create a ā€œCā€ for Charlotte.

Greenbacks is my favorite so far. I would drop the idea of ā€œCashā€ and stick to that name no matter what sport it is. The color scheme is awesome but Id might alter it to make that dark color have a touch more green. The logo can also be slightly modified to be less stagnant. For me, I think a different choice in C might fit better, especially because we have two fonts going on in the logo. I would also drop the code under the crown and just make the crown bigger because simpler is better. Then the last thing that could be done that would put this over the top is create movement for that Greenback, like a flag.

Great progression with names and logos! I have to ask if youā€™re planning to run through the 30 then come back to them or if you prefer to stick to them in order and tweak them before moving on?

Last edited by Thehealthiestscratch (5/04/2020 3:53 pm)

5/04/2020 4:47 pm  #6

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Damn QCS Iā€™d rather keep up being involved in this community over the other! Wish I saw this here first. The second batch seem much more unique but I donā€™t think Records is the best name for sports. I like the inspiration a lot, but I would shift the focus to the Blue Grass aspect or maybe bring a more powerful name that backs the record theme. These examples are all horrible, but something like Producers or Needles (a different object needed for the playing of a record. Could see a typical hornet theme being made around this though being based on the stinger.)

Though Iā€™ve seen it on the boards with Steelmanā€™s THL, Electrics would be unique in the real world. The part Iā€™m getting stuck at on this one would be relating the city to the name with the logo. Right now Iā€™m seeing a Chicago like C with a lightning bolt. I think you can make this more city specific, even if it comes off as generic the goal is to make the city pop. Personally, Iā€™d like to see a storm over the Duke Energy Center not just told about it. Or even get real different and create a ā€œCā€ for Charlotte.

Greenbacks is my favorite so far. I would drop the idea of ā€œCashā€ and stick to that name no matter what sport it is. The color scheme is awesome but Id might alter it to make that dark color have a touch more green. The logo can also be slightly modified to be less stagnant. For me, I think a different choice in C might fit better, especially because we have two fonts going on in the logo. I would also drop the code under the crown and just make the crown bigger because simpler is better. Then the last thing that could be done that would put this over the top is create movement for that Greenback, like a flag.

Great progression with names and logos! I have to ask if youā€™re planning to run through the 30 then come back to them or if you prefer to stick to them in order and tweak them before moving on?

Thanks for the feedback! I do plan on going through the 30 first then updates, and not every team will get an update, just the ones I feel have the most to give. 1768 FC is already on the docket and I think I'll go back to Electrics as well, your idea for using the Duke Energy Center is great and I kinda wish I'd thought of it! The Greenbacks colors come straight from a dollar bill, but I could probably do some slight tweaking for that one as well.

5/04/2020 7:01 pm  #7

Felt this fit better with General Concepts, Writing Workshop is more for ideas and a workshop for people trying to create concepts.

5/04/2020 8:24 pm  #8

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Felt this fit better with General Concepts, Writing Workshop is more for ideas and a workshop for people trying to create concepts.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about this category.

5/05/2020 9:51 pm  #9

As part of my goal to get this done quickly and efficiently, I'm aiming to get three done a day. Therefore, I have three more names to share with you all! (Or should I say y'all?)Ā 

First up, Project CLT #7: the Charlotte Superbirds!
It's pretty obvious that the name and colors come from The King, Richard Petty himself. I tried to avoid racing-related names, but I think this one is unique and has a certain flair to it. It was tough to make sure the car didn't look empty while also not using real-world brands like Goodyear and 76 so it's a little barren. The "7" is based on Petty's famous 43 but only chosen because of the project numbering. I'll be honest, this one could some work. I think it's a good name but I personally don't know how I could develop this further. Barring any future changes to names, this will be the only NASCAR-related name, so don't expect any more.

Next, Project CLT #8: the Charlotte Brewers!

I know, I know, Milwaukee and all that, and Asheville is probably more known nationally for its brewing, but Charlotte is home to many craft breweries, the most famous being NoDa (short for North Davidson, the neighborhood they started in). I took inspiration from their "Layover Lager" IPA for colors and utilized the flag once again to create a unique identity that connects both the city and name. The wheat in the background are laid over the stripes from the flag and a red circle with a blue crown is placed on top of the middle to complete the flag reference. A version without the flag circle and text serves as the secondary. So never fear, Milwaukee! If your team moves to Charlotte, we'll take good care of 'em.Ā 

Last up today, Project CLT #9: the Charlotte Minters!
I've made reference to Charlotte's Mint Museum in the writeup for the Greenbacks and this brand serves to completely revolve around that. The logo shape and 13 stars reference the coins that were actually minted in Charlotte (seen in the Inspiration box). The colors actually come from Mint City Collective, the foremost supporter group for Charlotte's MLS team. I'm a big fan of this name and its connection to Charlotte, even if we're not exactly unique in our possession of a Mint (we were, however, the first to have one in the South). That said, you don't see Philadelphia or Denver leaning into that, so I think it's fair game for the Queen City.

Any thoughts? C&C Appreciated!

Ā 

Last edited by QCS (5/05/2020 9:51 pm)

5/06/2020 5:48 pm  #10

For the Superbirds I think you are going the right direction. I have three suggestions. 1. The car looks a little odd at an angle, I think leaving it flat would be better. 2. If you thicken up the outer black strokes on the logo it would look a lot more like a sports logo. It is a little too thin right now, creating more of a drawing feel rather than a solid logo with some weight that aids the fans in the crowd when trying to make out the logo on a jersey that likely is the same color as the car. 3. I like the motion being created with the text, but the car seems a little stagnant. If some movement was created it would benefit that car a lot.Ā 

The Brewers have a classy look, I like the logo a lot. I would change the white outline on the primary to go through the circle to cover the full pieces of wheat, just for consistency sake. Other than that, maybe drop the thin outline on the text and just make it one color that is a little more bold. The secondary logos would make great shoulder patches!

The idea of playing off the Mint is extremely charming. The colors are interesting, making me want to see how they would be used on a jersey. The brand screams Charlotte, but other than the stars it's a brand that feels like it could be recolored and used by another Charlotte team. No longer is it making the team unique to Charlotte, because that is done beautifully, the challenge is now making the identity focused on the Minters and not Charlotte. A simple thought might be removing the top circle on the crown and using the star above it as a replacement. This would connect the city and the name while reducing clutter. The crown could also then be used alone as a secondary, having some mint influence to make the logo recognizable for the team. A more complicated idea would be to take the woman on the coin, altering here so she is facing directly at the viewer, Ā then put the crown on her. To reduce clutter with this second approach I would then remove "Minters" at the bottom, leaving "Charlotte" but making it rounded to follow the circle like the year does on the coin referenced.

These are all great and keep getting better!Ā 

Board footera