Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/16/2020 10:07 am  #11

Re: North American Association of Football - NAAF

Hartford Hawks  

The Hartford Hawks are the youngest of the NEFC teams, being founded in 1922. They have been a middle of the pack team over their history but won a couple of championships while the Independents were not a part of the NEFC. The Hawks only recently got their nickname “Hawks”. Before 1945 they were known as the Hartford Maroons, which the new owner wasn’t a fan of and decided to change the team to the Hawks as a “cooler” mascot. They play out of Arnold H. Benson Park near Downtown Hartford but it is one of the smaller stadiums at only 23,400 and one of the oldest opening in 1906. 

The owner of the Hawks is Jonathan Sampson. Sampson took over the team in 1945 reviving it after the war. He was no fan of the former name of the “Maroons”, so he had changed it to the “Hawks”. Sampson also enters the NAAF as the youngest owner currently only 35. He has had a couple of years of experience with the team but before taking ownership in ‘45 he was a simple businessman looking for a new opportunity. 

The Hawks enter the first season being mostly cast aside as the other team from New England. They have been playing third fiddle to the Providence Gold Stars and Boston Independents for years now and no one expects them to get close to the playoffs. While the team sports an okay veteran QB in Oliver Callahan and a star WR John Rivera, they lack a strong offensive line and run game. Their defence is one of the worst in the league. They have few difference makers and the only notable players are DB Michael Connor and DL George Woods. Head Coach Jerry Moore is one of the more conservative coaches in the league. He brings a strategic style to the team that usually plays to its strengths but may have trouble if the main strategy is taken away.  

Brand:
Hartford was the last team I designed as I really struggled with a cool idea for the logo and colour scheme. I eventually settled on maroon and silver. Overall it is a simple design, but the logo is one of my favourites that I came up with so far. 

2/16/2020 12:07 pm  #12

Montreal Rouge 

The Rouge is the only team in the NAAF from the 1800s. They were founded in 1895 as Club de Football de Montreal. The Rouge has a long and storied history being the dominant football force in the province of Quebec. While the team originally had red jerseys it was their play that gave them their identity. Since the team was founded they have been known for their rough and tough style of football. They would roll over teams pounding the ball but also shutting them down on defence. Many players left games against Montreal bloodied and bruised. They gained the nickname the “bloody reds”. The team embraced it and took it on as a club name. While it has been shortened to the Rouge (Red) as the team has become a bit more “classy”. Montreal plays out of Mount Royal Stadium, which was recently opened just in the last year, that houses 46,500 fans. 

Jean Beaulieu is the Owner of the Rouge and has been since 1924. While the team was a privately run club in the past as they became professional, Beaulieu stepped in and took the reins. Since then he has maintained a high level of play and excitement, through strategic thoughtful moves that are for the best of the team. Beaulieu has become a close friend to Ryan Jameson as well as being a main helper in getting the Canadian teams together.

The Rouge are a heavy favourite to go up against the Boston Independents in the first championship. While they had become a more classy team they still were built on a strong defence. The #1 defence stars: DLs Napoléon Chevalier and Jean-Michel Duchane, LBs Quintin Brewer and Bradley Booker, as well as DB Jean-Luc Paget. The combination of players makes for a brick wall for many teams in the NAAF. The Offence is as rough and tough as the defence staring power RB Élisée Marchal behind a fleet of strong OLs in Joshua Mercer and Dimitri Lortie. While QB Maurice Norris is simply an okay QB he can deliver the ball enough to keep the team moving down the field. The Head Coach and GM Guy Clarke is an old fellow but is as tough as the rest of the team. With an ultra-competitive defensive mind, he is the fittest to lead Montreal to the top.

Brand:

One of the simpler looks for the league. This logo is one I had a while ago for a different project but I liked the brand so I brought it over to the NAAF. Montreal is also the only team so far that has two separate coloured helmets for jerseys with red at home and white on the road. The home remains simple with red as that has always been their jerseys but they wanted to try something different with the road jerseys. 

2/16/2020 12:47 pm  #13

Both the Hawks and Rouge look great! What year does this start btw, I don’t know if I missed it or if you haven’t mentioned it yet.

2/16/2020 12:49 pm  #14

Definitely like that Montreal look. Personally, I think stripes on both of the jerseys, instead of just road, would be much better.

8-0 In The NBA Bubble

2/16/2020 1:26 pm  #15

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Both the Hawks and Rouge look great! What year does this start btw, I don’t know if I missed it or if you haven’t mentioned it yet.

Wow, I know I had made some edits, must have accidentally cut out that part in the intro. The first season is taking place in 1949. Just a year after Ryan Jameson's retirement from hockey in 1948.

ReesDaBeast11 wrote:

Definitely like that Montreal look. Personally, I think stripes on both of the jerseys, instead of just road, would be much better.

Oh yeah, that will likely change within the first few years. With some of the teams I just like the idea that they have different styles for the roads due to some teams not having second jerseys prior to joining the NAAF (Boston, Montreal, and the upcoming Toronto team).

2/16/2020 2:09 pm  #16

Ottawa Royals

The Royals were founded in 1908 and have been competing in the Ontario Football Union (OFU) since then. Originally The Royal Ottawa Football Club, the club was named in honour of the British Royal Family. They have become more popularly known as the Ottawa Royals. The Royals have only been able to claim three Ontario championships (1909, 1911, and 1927). They play out of Lansdowne Park which holds 38,500 and will be the site of the NAAF’s first game. 

Rudolph Wilson has been the only owner in the team's history and is the longest-serving owner of all the clubs. Wilson is a very charismatic and optimistic owner. Every other owner has immense respect for Wilson and all value what he has to say around the league. He has been one of the biggest contributors alongside Jean Beaulieu (Owner of the Rouge) and Ryan Jameson in getting the NAAF running. 

The Royals are in an interesting position as a team. Their Offence is up there with the best of the league. Led by QB Duane Logan and the league's best WR Allen Atkins, the Offence might have one of the best air attacks outside of Boston. Alongside Atkins, the Royals also have WR Kenneth Mullen and TE Dennis Hawkins. Where the Royals may run into issues is their defence. It doesn’t stack up to the level that the Independents and Rouge are and that could cause problems when going up against some of the best teams. DL Timothy Wiley and DB Morris Parrish will hope to bring some power to the defence but it is an uphill battle for the Royals. Head Coach Otis Ward is also a somewhat conservative-offensively minded coach and will be hoping that the high level of Offence can make up for the defence. 

Brand:
One of my favourite colour schemes in purple and gold for Ottawa. Nothing too special here, I just love the look of the "R" wearing a crown which is a design I have used in previous designs way back when. 

*Gonna get the last two teams up over the next little bit, then the 1949 schedule and preview tonight so I can get started on simming tomorrow!

2/16/2020 4:39 pm  #17

I like Buffalo and Boston a lot, but I think I will just admire the whole league the first few years and see how it plays out. If Buffalo gets a winged helmet before I start liking another team then it is game over.

2/16/2020 5:14 pm  #18

Providence Gold Stars

The Gold Stars were founded in 1914 and after competing in a local league joined the NEFC in 1915 when it was formed. Providence has been the second string in Boston’s shadow ever since. They have 3 championships to their name. They have struggled to beat the Independents over their history only ever claiming championships during the period where Boston wasn't in the league. With the struggles they have had, it has grown into hate which Boston has reciprocated towards Providence. The rivalry will be one to look out for heading into the new league. Gold Stars play out of their brand new stadium, New Providence Stadium that houses 65,450 people, which is by far the biggest. 

Owner Larry Maxwell has been the only owner of the Gold Stars throughout their existence. He has tended to be a bit more of a gruff owner who isn’t exactly personable, but he is very passionate about the success of his team especially against Boston. While he was originally resistant to joining the NAAF as he wanted to go against Glen Harris (Owner of the Independents), but he eventually was on board seeing the potential with the business opportunity and the lack of other options. Maxwell hopes that the NAAF can be the thing the Gold Stars have been looking for to get out of Boston’s shadow. 

Providence has one of the better teams in the league as well led by Head Coach Gilbert Dale who shares Larry Maxwell’s intensity. His Offence houses the second-best QB in Bruce Woodard and a  young RB in Gene Fischer. TE Marion Warren and WR Eugene Burns lead the air attack to round out a solid Offence. The defence has one of the best secondaries led by DBs Lee Wolfe and Steven Sweet as well as S Randy Maynard. The Gold Stars will put up a fight with the top contenders in Montreal and Boston and may be able to put their name into the hat for the first season’s championship.  

Brand:
Providences logo is one of my favourites and I wanted to have a team which had a logo element that didn't have to do with the actual mascot and the anchor was perfect for that. The logo is made new for the league well the anchor was from before, but the three stars were added to symbolize the team's three championships. Those three stars appear again on the front of the helmet instead of a stripe.

2/16/2020 5:24 pm  #19

Toronto Tigers 

The Tigers were founded in 1926 and joined the Ontario Football Union. Being the second team from the main Toronto area, the Tigers were never a popular team nor very successful. The other Toronto team, the Lakers, have been around since the early 1900s and have been a dominant force. While the Tigers thought they could capitalize on the large market of Toronto, they have never been able to keep up since they have not had a season above .500. The Tigers quickly became known as the team for those who couldn’t make the Lakers or other teams and was a short-stop for those players. While they embraced this for a while the team is hoping that the NAAF is a door into a new path for a team stuck in a hole. The home stadium for the Tigers is Toronto Municipal Stadium which holds 17,945 and is easily the smallest in the league. 

The current owner Garry Durran is the team’s 4th already. He took control in 1946 and was hoping for an opportunity for them to capitalize on the struggles through the war era, but has not found it. With the NAAF on the rise, Durran was very open to the idea and was very surprised by the offer to the team considering their status in the football world. While the Lakers and the other clubs in Ontario were very against the idea of the NAAF and Ottawa’s possible move to the new league, the Tigers supported the move for the Royals. After seeing the actions, Ryan Jameson felt that it would be a good idea to offer to the Tigers before they offered other teams.  

The Tigers are far from the top of the league. While they were able to recruit some new players interested in the new league they are a long way from being a championship contender. First-year Head Coach Joseph Johnson is taking on his first shot at the position. He has been a coach around the OFU for the last few years and has proven his smarts for the sport. Johnson comes into the team knowing that they have a long road ahead but is ready and confident he can handle the challenge. The team's best player is 37-year-old DB Clifford Jacobson who will have to be a leader among a large group of 22 to 24-year-olds on defence. The team’s QB is fellow 37-year-old Ellis Sears who has started for several teams in the OFU. Other weapons include WR Randolph Hammond and WR Clifford Chapman which may give Sears some help through the air but they lack an O-Line and run game. Toronto is not expected to win very many games, so it could be a long season for them.  

Brand:
Toronto is a bit of a Chicago inspired look at least for the colours. I originally was going to go more royal blue but felt it would help with contrast within the league to go with navy. This is another team with a simple away as they are a team with a bit more of a tighter budget so they didn't spend a lot of time with their away, but are hoping to bring a better one in the near future.

2/16/2020 5:27 pm  #20

I love Providence's look. I think they'll be my team until they either move/fold (which always seems to happen to my teams) or Charlotte gets a team. Great work so far, everything looks super era-appropriate!

Board footera