Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/14/2020 1:24 am  #1

Roller Hockey idea

I have been thinking of doing a roller hockey series on these boards, but I am not so sure if it would go in the Hockey or Other categories.

Also, I am having some trouble trying to decide what year this league could start, which months the league should play and how many players on each roster.

This will take place in North America if this helps.

2/14/2020 3:05 am  #2

Re: Roller Hockey idea

NeoPrankster wrote:

I have been thinking of doing a roller hockey series on these boards, but I am not so sure if it would go in the Hockey or Other categories.

Also, I am having some trouble trying to decide what year this league could start, which months the league should play and how many players on each roster.

Unique idea! I'd think if the rules were very similar to ice hockey, the hockey board is just fine. 

When did roller hockey become prominent? Are there real life leagues? I immediately thought 80's but could be any era I suppose. Maybe southern areas where ice is less prevalent. Maybe a summer league thing.

I carry rosters of 12 players per team for my league. 2 goalies, 6 forwards and 4 defensemen. Teams have players in affiliated Indy puck but only the 12 on the pro roster count toward their overall score.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

2/14/2020 10:43 am  #3

Steelman wrote:

NeoPrankster wrote:

Unique idea! I'd think if the rules were very similar to ice hockey, the hockey board is just fine. 

When did roller hockey become prominent? Are there real life leagues? I immediately thought 80's but could be any era I suppose. Maybe southern areas where ice is less prevalent. Maybe a summer league thing.

I carry rosters of 12 players per team for my league. 2 goalies, 6 forwards and 4 defensemen. Teams have players in affiliated Indy puck but only the 12 on the pro roster count toward their overall score.

Have either of y’all heard of the RHI? It was a real life roller hockey league in the mid 90s. It suffered from financial issues and it was only around for about 4 years, but that’s a good starting point for research.

2/14/2020 11:06 am  #4

There was a Roller Hockey league that aired on ESPN2 back in the 90's. The rink was set up on Huntington Beach, and had a banked area behind the net. The jerseys were VERY 90's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Beach_Hockey

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

2/14/2020 11:52 am  #5

CCLXXXVII wrote:

Steelman wrote:

NeoPrankster wrote:

Have either of y’all heard of the RHI? It was a real life roller hockey league in the mid 90s. It suffered from financial issues and it was only around for about 4 years, but that’s a good starting point for research.

Yeah I remember RHI a little bit. We had the Barracudas here in San Diego.

And I also remember Pro Beach Hockey back in the day. That banked area was so cool.

2/14/2020 12:11 pm  #6

2/14/2020 6:57 pm  #7

As some one who attended my fair share of RHI - Philadelphia Bulldogs games I think this would be a cool sport to tackle.  Ive flirted with the idea of making a roller hockey league myself and would love to see where you go with it.  I would say since the roller blading craze happened in the 90s it could give you a great opportunity to play around with unique 90s sounding team names with bright colors and whatnot.  You probably have to have a team replace an S for Z.  Like the Radz (i think that actually was a team in the RHI). Roller hockey teams always have fun with names that have a pun like the New Jersey Rock N Rollers.  In my roller hockey league that i worked on a while ago I had teams like the Arizona Roller Snakes, Nashville Hockey Tonks and the Atlanta Roller Bears (Coca Cola theme).  Look forward to seeing what you do!

2/14/2020 7:15 pm  #8

Gritty wrote:

As some one who attended my fair share of RHI - Philadelphia Bulldogs games I think this would be a cool sport to tackle.  Ive flirted with the idea of making a roller hockey league myself and would love to see where you go with it.  I would say since the roller blading craze happened in the 90s it could give you a great opportunity to play around with unique 90s sounding team names with bright colors and whatnot.  You probably have to have a team replace an S for Z.  Like the Radz (i think that actually was a team in the RHI). Roller hockey teams always have fun with names that have a pun like the New Jersey Rock N Rollers.  In my roller hockey league that i worked on a while ago I had teams like the Arizona Roller Snakes, Nashville Hockey Tonks and the Atlanta Roller Bears (Coca Cola theme).  Look forward to seeing what you do!

Cool name suggestions.

I am thinking of somewhere between 1990, 91 or 92 for the inaugural season.

Board footera