Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/13/2021 12:01 am  #2581

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

And finally we have Savage who is also joining the SMHL. Savage is exploding in population at the moment so it was no surprise when they were granted a team for the upcoming season. Sitting just west of Burnsville with whom they will have to share a home rink with until one can be built in Savage. That means they'll be playing at the newly built 1,400 seat Gary R. Harker Rink in the meantime. Despite this, they will not get representation at center ice as the city of Burnsville refused their request, opting to instead keep the Bucks and the high school Braves (who are just coming off their first ever State Championship in 1985) logos in center.

They'll be called the "Racers" in honor of the most famous athlete to ever come out of Savage, a man so dominant that the competition would eventually refuse to even race him, I'm of course talking about Dan Patch. Dan Patch was an American Standardbred that was known across the nation as the greatest harness racing horse in the United States. He would retire with an undefeated record in open competition, finishing one of the most iconic horses in racing history. To honor the Stallion, the team from his hometown decided to name themselves the Racers and use his face as their logo. The horse logo the team came out with is based on an image of Dan Patch recolored in the teams colors of orange and blue.

That rounds out the 1985 Offseason, let me know what you think!

9/13/2021 12:12 am  #2582

If anyone wants to check out the updated MAHL Map click here

And if you want to see any teams logo or uniform history, banners, or any other extra stuff click here

9/13/2021 4:36 am  #2583

Section30 wrote:

Morris is a town in western Minnesota that will also be joining the Granite Hockey League. With a population of over 5,500 Morris is a fairly big city for the region and they felt it was time to get a team of their own. The Mules will play their home games at 500 seat Morris Ice Arena.

They will be called the "Mules" stating that they want to mimic a Mules strength and work ethic along with it just sounding good. Their logo is a kicking mule over a M for Morris in the teams colors of forest green and red.

This whole set is gorgeous. Make a green and red team look good? Absolutely nailed it. Fantastic. I'm a fan.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

9/13/2021 5:44 am  #2584

Another FANTASTIC offseason! (I too, am a huge fan of Morris' set especially)

You know where to e-mail 'em to 

9/21/2021 4:11 pm  #2585

A bit different than your usual post, but I had a project for school and did it with a MAHL theme so I thought I'd put it in here

10/03/2021 10:31 am  #2586

What are your plans for the MAHL from 1987 to 2021, mainly the 1990s.

10/03/2021 12:35 pm  #2587

TheSquirrel wrote:

What are your plans for the MAHL from 1987 to 2021, mainly the 1990s.

Lots and lots of expansion

10/03/2021 2:55 pm  #2588

How much expansion & relocation will be involved & will we see 90s style colours & Logos.

10/03/2021 3:14 pm  #2589

TheSquirrel wrote:

How much expansion & relocation will be involved & will we see 90s style colours & Logos.

I'm not Section30, but part of your question was already answered. There will be lots of expansion in the seasons ahead, and I'm sure you'll see plenty of very 90s-esque graphics and colour schemes in the seasons to come. Also, Section himself said at least once in the AHSylum (our official Discord) that there won't really be any franchise relocation in this series.

Lastly, a friendly reminder (even though I'm not a mod, I'll say it anyway) - please don't pester creators.

Inmate of the AHSylum
Athletic Director, Semiahmoo University

10/08/2021 4:52 pm  #2590

1985/86 Regular Season - North

For the first time since their return, and only the second time ever, the Miners are kings of the Iron Range. Tower-Soudan rebounded after missing the playoffs a year ago, looking more like the team that reached the Great Eight only two years ago. Eveleth and Ely were only a couple games behind, despite coming close, the Black Bears were unable to hold onto the Hard Hat as the Miners take it back. The final playoff spot goes to Mountain Iron who has been absolutely red hot to end the season, winning 10 of their last 11 to leapfrog Coleraine and Hibbing who were left out in 5th and 6th. It wasn't all bad for the Trout though as they won back the Axe after three years in Rapids. Virginia and Grand Rapids were both solid hockey teams, but they finished middle of the pack in a very tough IRHL. There weren't any real bottom feeders in the league this year with every team capable of holding their own. At the end of the year it was Babbitt, Chisholm, Keewatin, and Hoyt Lakes bringing up the rear.

Make that 19 Lake Superior Hockey League crowns for the Big Red Giants of Thunder Bay who leaned on their trademarked defensive style of play to hold their opponents to a staggering 1.13 goals against per game. Superior and Two Harbors both took home hardware while finishing second and third. Sliding into the four spot and into the playoffs are the Neebing Nor'Westers who proved all the naysayers wrong by proving they could not only compete, but win, in one of the best leagues in the MAHL. It was another frustrating season for the Duluth Hornets who now see their playoff drought extend to 9 years despite always having a pretty good hockey team, this season included as they finish 1 win behind Neebing and come fifth. Their cross town rivals, the Voyageurs, weren't far behind, also fighting for a playoff spot but falling short. Cloquet, Hermantown, and Grand Marais all had good teams that just couldn't piece together winning seasons, finishing in the bottom half of the table. Silver Bay, Lutsen, and Proctor bring up the tail end.

For the first time in over a decade, and only the third time ever, the Bemidji Blue Ox are Northland Hockey League champions. The Babes have been slowly blossoming into a legitimate contender over the past couple seasons and they realized their potential this year, winning the Northland. Roseau, Winnipeg, and International Falls will be joining Bemidji in the post season, all four teams taking home rivalry hardware. Fort Frances and St. James both were in contention for a playoff birth during the season, but it just wasn't meant to be this year as they're left on the outside looking in. Baudette and Warroad were middle of the pack, it was a good year for the Walleye who weren't expected to do much, but it was a disaster by Warroad's standards. Steinbach, Blackduck, and Kenora finished with losing seasons, but would be considered above average in the grand scheme of the MAHL. It was another tough year in Red Lake, and it has become clear there is still a ways for the Moccasins to go before they are competing for a playoff spot.

That's now three Red River titles in the past four years for the Fargo Titans. The Titans were the class of the league again this year as they look to return to the Super Series and win their first ever Kellogg Cup. They already have won both the Metro Bowl and the Nodak Cup, but the chances of a third trophy are a distinct possibility. West Fargo had another really solid season in second, it was also a good year for the team directly to the east of Fargo as well as Moorhead returns to the playoffs finishing fourth. Sandwiched between the Wasps and Huskies in third is Detroit Lakes who jumped from 8th to 3rd in the span of a season. For the first time in the RRHL's 25 year history, neither Grand Forks nor East Grand Forks has qualified for the post season. The Jets and Pointers will have to sit out until next year, finishing 5th and 6th respectively. The bottom four were all within a handful of games of one another and none were noticeably better or worse than the others. They went Thief River Falls, Dilworth, Pelican Rapids, and Crookston.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

Board footera