Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/07/2021 10:01 am  #861

Re: Torland Hockey League: THL 2.0

Kavalos Electrics: Huge fan of this update, the Electrics always felt like the type of team that'd have had some really fun jerseys during the 90s, (I know we're not QUITE there yet, but we're close enough).  The drop shadows and italicized names and numbers work perfectly for this team!  Great work here!

Portarra Pioneers: Individually, I do like the update a lot!  The logo might not be the classic cowboy hat, but it's definitely a solid modern logo that fits the team perfectly!  I'm also glad you kept the orange alternate, as I'd started to get attached to it, but Navy and Orange was always the best color combo for them. 

I was gonna say that if I were in charge of making these uniforms, I'd have likely avoided using Navy for the primary color, since that's the primary color of what the hometown rival Portarra Whales wear, (especially since they've won the last 2 championships, draws unfavorable comparisons).  Then I remembered that the New York Rangers and Islanders wear about the same shade of blue as their primary, and figured that was just me being anal, haha!  But yeah, really good job here, I could definitely see this sticking around a long time!

Hockey on the Mount Uniforms: Once again, huge fan of these jerseys, definitely something to look forward to every offseason!  Obviously, I'm always a sucker for the Whales/Anchors rivalry, so that combo was always going to be a hit for me.  Really loving how simple and old school these are!

Loving the color vs color matchup of the Heralds and Captains.  The Isle of Kirk midnight and cream uniform is a thing of beauty, and the Heralds columbia blue and navy is really nice too!  

Gonna be interesting to see how the Bucks' rebuild goes.  Doesn't look like this was a great draft, being just one round, so all their wheeling and dealing to basically get the #2 pick (while trading away a former MVP goalie and a great defender) seems like they're putting an awful lot of faith on Byron Schwartz becoming a superstar when there doesn't appear to be much reason to assume he will.  That's a lot of pressure for a young player to have to perform at an extremely high level just to make all those trades worth it, so this could backfire pretty bad on Abrieden.

Great work as always!

7/07/2021 4:27 pm  #862

Not a big Pios fan but I am a fan of that new set! Yellow works wonderfully alongside navy and orange and its a shame it isnt involved in the uniforms. What if you swapped the thin navy/white stripe along the waist with yellow. I think it would look pretty good.

Once again the Hockey on the Mount uniforms look good.

7/07/2021 4:32 pm  #863

I really like the new Electrics duds! The drop shadow works really well here and I like the new striping. Not quite as sold on the new Pioneers look, the yellow in the logo only seems a little awkward. I do like the striping, but I personally preferred the previous look. I love the Mountain jerseys though, glad that will continue!

7/08/2021 10:10 pm  #864

Loving the updated uniforms, the Pios going back to blue is a good decision and their logo is nice

8/30/2021 9:01 pm  #865

Hey. What's that I hear? Oh! Hockey is BACK in Torland! It's been a wild summer but I've been working hard on a special Torland Wiki packed with all kinds of THL and historical information about this crazy country of Torland with the help of a few fine folks of this community. More on this will all be revealed in due time, but until then, I've got a special little infographic to jog your memories and a whole new batch of signatures to show your team pride before I post the new season and get this show back on the road.

I very much appreciate all the great feedback on the new identities from the previous offseason, I've taken them all into account, particularly the feedback on the yellow with the Pioneers. 

With that said, here are the top 25 most talented and skilled players in the Torland Hockey League as voted on by the hockey scouts for 1989. This list is based on pure talent, not necessarily career accomplishment. Some guys on this list have tons of talent and skill but aren't big names in the league or haven't achieved anything notable apart from being a solid professional player.

The far and away best player in the league is Bill Bronkowski and it's not even close. Lentini is the clear second most talented player in the league and it drops off considerably after that with the rest of the Top 6 being in their own tier. From 7-14, the talent level plateaus with some excellent players but squarely in a third tier. The group in 15-20 are a mix of young rising talent and veteran presence. The last tier was difficult to judge as the talent level is essentially comparing apples at that point. Some of the guys in the 21-25 range are in based slightly more on accomplishment because it's harder to separate without it.

A handful of teams did not have a player appear on the list, including the Abrieden Bucks, Dosa City Snappers, Fort Bevin Rockets, Narva Neptunes, Portarra Pioneers, Sina Serpents, and Yubay Glaciers.

I have also designed a new line of team sigs, feel free to use them! These are a little thinner to help free up some space in your signatures. Enjoy!

As always, thank you for your support of this project!
Up next: 1989 Season

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

9/03/2021 7:16 pm  #866

1989 REGULAR SEASON

Willard Division: There were no surprises in the Willard as the Whales cruised to the top with 52 wins. Bill Bronkowski earned an All-Star but was quieter than recent years as the team was locked in on earning the #1 seed and returning to the Cup. The veteran Pioneers squad battled for second place and got it easily even with an aging roster. The Serpents were terrible after the departure of Konrad Kedzierski and only scored 82 total goals on the season. The Rockets and Anchors both struggled, with Fort Bevin's stars too old and Port Alrene's roster still lacking scoring power.

Hatch Division: The Wizards climbed back to the top of the Hatch as forward Sam Sebastian took a major leap in leading the team in scoring and earning a Best Forward for his efforts. Arlie Lozano continued his fantastic play in the net. The big story was the Kodiaks who charged hard from the basement and nearly stole the division as the Romanov brothers made a big splash, each earning an alternate All-Star selection for carrying the team to the playoffs under the tutelage of rookie head coach Barry Stover who won Best Coach. It's a coming-of-age season for Kirlow. In third place and earning a wildcard was a motivated Swans squad who rode a lights-out Andre Kabbani in the net. The Herons made a good show of it but it wasn't enough to get into the playoffs as the roster ages. The Neptunes fell off a cliff as the team is also showing its age. Surprisingly, the Blazers struggled from the gate, with injuries mounting they found themselves in the basement and will have major questions in the offseason.

Elam Division: Defenseman Frankie Albertelli blossomed with a legitimate scoring option on the team in Konrad Kedzierski and the Barbarians jumped out to an early lead in the division to notch the title. The Crusaders kept pace but tapered off toward the end of the season and nearly lost a playoff berth to the hard-charging Captains. Joel Eklund earned an All-Star berth for Quebel. The Captains, meanwhile, weathered some mid-season injuries to come up just one point shy of a playoff berth in a disappointing campaign after adding Vassily Wuopio and Fabian Fryer. The Heralds bounced back after last season's debacle and played solid hockey all year, though not good enough to contend. The Snappers are continuing to learn things the hard way but also played well and things look encouraging for the future.

Rankin Division: The story of the late career boom of Darren Cain has been a thing of legends, as Cain added an MVP-worthy season to his already stellar resume to lead the Kavs to the #2 seed and another division title. The Killers finally got their moxie back and stormed past the Kings to the second place spot behind clutch play from Alex Kirkland and company. Bancana and Pete Lentini played well, good enough to earn a wildcard berth. Surprisingly, the Glaciers made big improvements as a team under new coach Pete Clayton. Predictably, the Bucks and Falcons were both bad, and the Falcons 86'd the latter third of the season after a litany of injuries to tank for the Bobby Kozun sweepstakes, beating out Sina for the #1 pick. After the firesale in Abrieden the Bucks were in rough shape but somehow managed to win 16 games.

Hockey on the Mount:

The second installment of Hockey on the Mount proved to be a continued financial success. The first game between the Anchors and Whales was a bit of a dud as Bill Bronkowski and Co dominated and Brian Mahaffey notched a shutout. The game between Chasonne and Kirkenport, however, made up for all of it as a rip-roaring game went into double overtime before the winning goal from new signee Fabian Fryer ended it in stunning fashion. The special issue Isle of Kirk jerseys became one of the THL's highest selling jerseys in record time.

Playoff Preview:

Crusaders vs Kings
Both teams are fairly even so the key may be which of Pete Lentini or Joel Eklund can score more

Pioneers vs Swans
The Swans and Andre Kabbani have played tough defense while the Pioneers have relied on depth scoring

Wizards vs Killers
The Killers are glad to be back in dance while the Wizards want to make progress

Barbarians vs Kodiaks
These teams were close in the regular season but it might come down to more playoff experience from the Barbarians

Byes: Whales, Electrics

C&C always appreciated!
Up next: 1989 playoffs 

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

9/03/2021 8:29 pm  #867

Let's go Pioneers! Maybe we can do something these playoffs.

9/03/2021 8:42 pm  #868

(Sad Bucks fan noises) Someday...

9/03/2021 8:48 pm  #869

Aw Yeah!  THL is back!  Another interesting season to comment on!

Once again, the Whales and Electrics look like the class of the league and maybe we could get a rematch of last year's finals!

We get another possible opportunity to get an all Portarra battle (Whales and Pioneers), and maybe even an all Alko battle (Wizards and Barbarians and they both look really good this year).  Always love to see those city wars!

While obviously I'd have hoped the Heralds have made the playoffs (and won that Hockey on the Mount game against the Captains- looks like that was a great game!), it's nice to see them improve!

Really rough year for the tanking Falcons, having 86'd the '89 season, but they'll be interesting to watch going forward once they persumably draft Bobby Kozun.  It's always a risk when you tank.  If I recall right, the Whales tanked for Bronkowski (could be misremembering that), which worked out beautifully for them, but it doesn't always pan out.  

Going with Whales vs. Wizards for the finale, with the Whales getting their 3rd straight title 4 games to 2.

9/03/2021 9:12 pm  #870

I know I contributed to "the highest selling jersey in record time" stat. Sucks that the Kirk Boys lose out on a playoff spot due to nerd stats, but it is what it is. I really don't want the Pioneers to win in their new threads because that would mean that their 90s edgy phase would last way longer than welcome, but my goodness Walker is getting old. Shocked to see Sallee in the top 25 still, but at the same time it makes me far too happy knowing that the TYHDA's legacy will survive another 8 or so years. Can't wait for some playoff drama!

Board footera