Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2021 9:56 pm  #1

PSC - Premier Soccer League, introduction 1922

Here's a little bit of an introduction to the project as a whole

This is (hopefully) my first step into a huge project that I have semi-worked on for the last 5-6 years. I originally got the idea of running full-fledged, overarching Professional Sports Coalition in about 2014. But as I was an idiotic, presumptuous teenager I had no idea what I was getting into and had thee absolute worst starting strategy ever... thus throughout the years I have slowly been working up ideas, mechanics, systems, and history of it all... I am getting ahead of myself. I'm not here today (or whenever you are reading this) to talk about the PSC, that is for a much later time. For now, I am going to talk about my first league I will be reporting for. The Premier Soccer League

Due to the after effects of the Civil War, transportation in America did not radically improve for a decade or so afterwards. Thus, when it came time for the National League to form, it could not have such a wide-reaching audience or window. This meant that such national leagues could not form as easily in the beginning, which lead instead to the rise of powerful, close-knit regional leagues. These were spotted all throughout the nation, from state wide, to intrastate, to, in the case of the Baseball of Association of New York, a singular city. This doesn't mean that spectators wouldn't be interested in national leagues, no quite the opposite. The National Challenge Cup was a massive success during its first season in 1914. Plus several "major" baseball leagues have attempted but not many could pull together enough talent or interest to stay relevant compared to regional leagues.

The leagues were strongest when it came to association football, aka, soccer. While several were not organized, there were several that were; Ohio State League, The New England Association, Great Lakes Soccer Confederation, Football Association of Ontario, and the Texas League to name a few.

During the first few years of the National Challenge Cup, it was clear that one of the strongest leagues was the NY-PENN League. Founded in 1899, the NY-PENN League fused the competitive clubs of New York City with the more spread out, but equally fierce Pennsylvanian teams (though upper New York and New Jersey teams could also enter). However, a common problem with this league was its instability and schedule fixing. At one point there were 45 clubs entered into the league and most of them played widely different schedules. Some New York City teams barely ever left the Hudson Valley to play games due to close proximity. This left a huge advantage to the strongest teams in cities sporting numerous clubs. This came to a head in 1921 when owner of the Reading Orient FC, Irvin Gentry, was denied of the championship cup due to the New York City Pirates playing and winning more games, DESPITE, the Orient having a better winning record, including a 5-1 victory over the Pirates. But, due to the closest team to Reading being Bethlehem, they were only able to play 18 games while the Pirates played 37 games in the NY-PENN league, and only three of them were outside of the Hudson Valley. Suffice to say, Gentry was infuriated by the ruling. Thus, angry at the league, he and several other owners decided to create their own, with aspirations to not be bound by mere regional borders. One could call it... a Premier League.

Gentry's cohorts were; John Budd of the Philadelphia Quicksilver FC, Samuel Crane of Buffalo FC, Eddy McKeever of Brooklyn Blue AC, Johannes Peters of Pittsburgh and his team Trois Rivières FC, and even Dick Koehler the owner of the New York City Pirates. But what about the Reading Orient FC? Well, due to questions of conflict of interest of running a team in his own league, Gentry gifted his team to Bill Phillips who moved the team to Washington and became DC FC. Thus, the Premier Soccer League was born.

However... Gentry would not participate in the league for much longer. As on March 18th, one week before the season opener, Irvin Gentry, aged 48, would tragically die. Gentry was drinking coffee early one morning at the infamous Reading Pagoda, when an eagle mistook his shiny bald head for a rock and dropped a turtle it had caught, hoping the rock (Gentry’s head) would crack open the turtles shell. Unfortunately for the eagle (and Gentry), the turtle won. While all the teams and owners felt a devastating loss, they did not lose heart, and on the following week the first PSL game ever was played, with the Philadelphia Quicksilver playing DC FC.

(team introductions should be posted today, with season overviews and season write-up in the coming days)

PSL Championship Game history

1922 New York City Pirates 3-2 Brooklyn Blue AC
1923 Philadelphia Quicksilver FC 5-4 New York City Pirates

Also. Don't expect any crazy graphics out of me. I have 0 skill in graphical design, even if I did, creating and managing identities of teams from the 6 leagues I currently have planned would be such an improbably task I dont think I could if I could. Instead I will focus on more in-depth season write-ups with pre-season team overviews and eventually free agency and drafts once we get to that point. Though, to help distinguish between teams and have some level of fanfare, I will be using excel blocks as team identifiers and for the fixtures. Sorry if you were looking for interesting logos and designs, I cant really promise any of that... in the future if anyone is interested graphical help with signatures or anything I would be open to PMs.

Last edited by master BDoof (CodeG) (5/23/2021 8:57 am)

Runs the highly unsuccessful PSC project featuring the Premier Soccer League and National Baseball Federation

3/23/2021 10:41 pm  #2

Re: PSC - Premier Soccer League, introduction 1922

Before we start the first season, I thought I would further introduce the teams to give more history, detail, and overview for the first PSL season. I will also be writing team previews each season, I will also allow people to suggest names for each team's individual sports writers of these interviews. Hopefully I will get the first seasons preview and inaugural season out by Friday, as I'm mostly just tweaking things. As for the teams, lets start alphabetically with the:

Why Brooklyn? Brooklyn is by far the most identifiable unique borough in NYC. Why Blue? Alliteration. Why A.C.? To help differentiate them from their NYC counterparts, I felt that having a more unique club identifier would fit well with the unique Brooklyn culture. Originally founded by Italian immigrant Antonio Gallino and his brother Mario Gallino, The Blue began in 1898 as a neighborhood dream team to play against fellow Brooklyn teams. Eventually the team grew and took on competition state-wide and joined the NY-PENN League. While in the NY-PENN League they were perennial favorites-always able to maintain a stable entertaining state of play. Though, they were never quite able to win it all in their previous league. Now under ownership of Eddy McKeever they look to create a long standing tradition of winning. 
For kits, Brooklyn has a long history of wearing blue. Currently they sport a 2-tone kit with the jersey itself being a lighter blue while the pants are a darker, royal blue. They don’t currently have a clash, but have worn white with the royal blue pants historically.

The F stands for Falls… well not really. In 1907 Niagara Falls Packing Company was looking at ways to grow their business elsewhere while improving morale. Owner Timothy “Big Boy” Crane, father of current team owner Samuel “Cranky” Crane, founded the Buffalo Football Club. Initially comprised of employees and their family members, the team quickly became one of the most dominant in the surrounding Erie and Huron regions. Though when it came to the NY-PENN League, Buffalo never placed higher than 5th, in 1915. That same year they were able to capture their only New York State Open Trophy with a surprise upset over Brooklyn Blue AC. Locally, the team is met by a surprising amount of fanfare and colloquially go by the Packers or the Fallers (due to their late season plummets down the standings). 
Since they were founded by the Niagara company, they wear dark blue vertical stripes on a red jersey with white or red pants depending if home or road, respectively. Entering into the PSL they have no clash but have worn a white jersey with a large verticle line down the middle with red pants as an occassional clash kit when Timothy "Big Boy" Crane was the owner.

I still can’t believe I’m actually choosing this name. DC FC is the youngest team in the league, being officially established by Bill Phillips so that original founder, Irvin Gentry, wouldn’t get called for conflict of interest. Gentry’s club, known as Reading Orient FC was founded in 1913. The Orient Express had won a NY-PENN title in 1918 and the self-proclaimed title in 1921-which resulted in the founding of the PSL. In terms of Bill Phillips’ history in soccer club ownership… there is none Though he does own the Atlantic League’s Washington Presidents who have been borderline successful in their short history. 
DC wears the oddly peculiar set of half-white half-red kits with the opposite-sidded-colored-pants. Their only clash being Trois (due to jersey having base white) thus they sport all red when playing in Pittsburgh.

I wanted the other NYC team to encompass the entire city, hence the inclusion of City in the name, yet still feel dangerous. Thus, the Pirate name and the lack of any club designation, the only team like it in the PSL. The oldest team of the bunch, as well as the most successful and historic. Initially founded in 1884 by Irish immigrants, the name pirates wasn’t initially chosen. It was given by fans due to their all black kits, aggressive style of play, and their proximity to the port (so close you could smell the fish). Their tenacity on both sides of the pitch lead them to be known all the way across the states. Their infamy was even greater when they won three straight National Challenge Cups in 1915, 1916, and 1917. They also won 5 NY-PENN League titles, including the infamous season last year where they only left the Hudson Valley 3 times all season yet were still claimed the champions. Owner Dick Koehler expects his side to dominate the PSL for a long time to come. 

The aforementioned terrorizing Pirates black it out with all black jersey and pants. If the day is expected to be rather warm, they can opt for white pants instead. 

Similar to the Flyers, I wanted a team to incorporate speed into their nickname. Ironically enough, quicksilver isn’t really quick and neither is this team. The Quicksilver are technically a continuation of an older team named the Quakers. The Quakers were bought by young, eccentric gajillionaire John “Buddy” Budd who quickly rebranded the team to, in his mind, a “modern” name to further promote his team’s mobile, illustrious, and lucrative future. Choosing the name Quicksilver to insulate those traits. This quickly adopted by fans due to his pennypinching-ness his team normally ended up wearing off-gray kits, due to the early success of the club Budd has since made the color a common trait of all the pro-teams he would own. In the NY-PENN League they won 3 titles, 1903, 1904, and 1908. While always near-top of the table, the beginning of this decade has definitely left many fans wanting more as several Philly teams have been appearing to take their place. 
Scrooge McBudd himself would never allow his team to waste money on colorful jerseys, as he scoffs at Trois and DC for their “ridiculous wear”. Thus his team only wears gray. Which somehow gives them a more morbid look than NYC. Occasionally, when clash kits are needed, Budd, if in a nice mood, will allow the team to have dark blue threads instead. But normally Budd can finagle the opposing side to wear the clash instead. 

Sorry, no black ‘n yellow this time folks. If it wasn't clear, this is Pittsburgh. Trois, as they are better known as, are one of the oldest professional association football teams west of the Potomac and are one of the most successful. Being the only other team besides NYC to win a National Challenge Cup, that being in 1919 and 1920. They also won 4 NY-PENN League crowns and have dominated the Pennsylvania Open Conference throughout their history, winning it 16 times, including 12 in a row. In 1919 they managed the only Triple Crown of organized soccer in the states. Winning the NY-PENN League Title, National Challenge Cup, and the Pennsylvania Open Conference in the same year. However, with all their new found national success, their regional success has dwindled as their focus shifted towards the newly established National Challenge Cup. Their unique name also comes from their founder and owner Johannes Peters whose family has distant ties to King Louis XIV, as such Peters honored his French heritage by naming his club in French, despite Pittsburgh not having a much in the way of ethnic French population. Despite this, most fans in the city have adored and stuck with the club despite several others claiming the city. Though this is largely due to the massive success of Trois. 
Thanks in part of their massive success, Trois has sported many kits throughout their history. Some “sleek” with only trim colors, some as creative as their brick-pattern stripe jersey. The one common thread between them is they almost all have a base color of white. For their inaugural season in the PSL they will wear a white-base jersey with three thin vertical lines down the left side of the jersey, to symbolize the three rivers of Pittsburgh and their Triple Crown in 1919. When they clash in DC they have an all-blue kit with a horizontal white stripe across the chest instead. Both are paired with white shorts.

Last edited by master BDoof (CodeG) (3/24/2021 4:36 pm)

Runs the highly unsuccessful PSC project featuring the Premier Soccer League and National Baseball Federation

3/23/2021 10:42 pm  #3

I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes. Good luck on your project!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

3/23/2021 10:44 pm  #4

Steelman wrote:

I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes. Good luck on your project!

thankyou so much, this project has literally torn me apart while simultaneously keeping me together the past few years. I'm so glad to finally be sharing it... even if the process will take me years to finish

3/25/2021 5:12 pm  #5

1922 Team Overviews

Brooklyn Blue AC
Skipper Jeff Naiman, being one of the younger coaches in the league at age 40, is entering his fourth year as Brooklyn’s manager. Has continued his tradition of speed. Due to the rules at the time needing 3 opposing defenders behind the play in order for a pass to not be ruled off-sides, Naiman has crafted a team of vertical, inside runners who can out-speed any opponent. Captained by mid-fielder Brian Giaccone, who leads the team on offense by spreading the ball to inside forwards Travis Cavanagh and Steve “Sbeve” Beeman and pulling back and marking the opponents ball carrier. Josh Machlin helps deny any opposing offense as he is considered the best goalie in New York. Despite the overwhelming speed, it’s the 2-way presence the mid-field brings that makes it tough for opponents to overcome. 
Defensive Rating: 5.25. 
Offensive Rating: 4.9
Overall: 5.1

Buffalo FC
What can I say about Buffalo? You can’t win if you can’t stop your opponent from scoring. Goalie David Frank practically is limbless out there, and even if backs Erik Potter and Brendan Aberle could tackle, Frank would still be as useful as a fish in an oven. The Fallers will figuratively sink or swim by their offense this season. Veteran playmaking forwards Philip Paris and Sam Owen lead the charge but are followed by mediocrity and unproven talent. Striker Luke “Amazing” Amason has yet to blossom to the potential he once possessed as the fastest yorker on two feet. Personally I would not place any bets on Buffalo.
Defensive Rating: 4
Offensive Rating: 5.1
Overall: 4.5

DC FC 
Though they “won” the previous NY-PENN League, the former Orient team has been largely rebuilt as most wanted to stay in Pennsylvania. Leaving a huge mix-match of talent left-over. The biggest names to stay are; Tony Payton, the giant in human clothes, and the midfield duo of Zach Bombard and Kevin White, who will be the vice-captain and captain respectively this season. The move to DC did prove one major acquisition being 26 year-old forward Bobby Wagner who played for the Potomac League’s FC Maryland last season. But with an aging core and no true striker, fans should hope for the best.
Defensive Rating: 5.2 
Offensive Rating: 4.8
Overall: 5

New York City Pirates
Coming into the inaugural season as favorite, the Pirates have many points of interest throughout their lineup. With a slew of under-26 players; GK Lee Belt, LB Kerry Deem, RM William Barfield, LM Mike Moffett, LW Harry Kirkbride, IF Steve Thompson, and ST Mike Strickland all being penned into the starting lineup. The biggest star of these also being the youngest, Steve Thompson. Despite being only 21, Thompson is possibly the best forward in the PSL this season. Put him next to forwards Kirkbride and Strickland and playmaker Jared Johnson is an offense that many defenses may not be able to withstand.
Defensive Rating: 4.9
Offensive Rating: 5.3
Overall: 5.1

Philadelphia Quicksilver FC
Philly enters as the team with possibly the most questions surrounding them. With their aging core being the fastest thing about them. 36 year-old captain midfielder Trey Panico is seemingly on his last legs. In goal is 37 year-old Jesse Johnson and whose backup is only a year younger. While they make the best tandem in the league, their age draws many red-flags. Their last few batches of young “stars” so far have not turned out quite as marketed. With only the aptly named Adam Striker being considered above-average from the fan standpoint. The next 2 seasons will definitely be a critical turning point for the franchise.
Defensive Rating: 5
Offensive Rating: 4.7
Overall: 4.8

Trois Rivières FC
While not considered stand-out favorites like New York City and Brooklyn, it is extremely hard to find any major flaws in Trois’ roster. Best goalie in the league with Ryan Downes? Check. Defender named after a famous plague doctor? Check. Core veteran midfielders dipping into the fountain of youth? Check and check. Ever talented Xavier Turner leading the offensive attack? Check. The first african-american winger tandem in the league? Check. A coach with a resume so long it takes 2 whole pages? Check. Only possible downside is only 2 starters are under 27 (GK Ryan Downes and LM J.J. Wright). 
Defensive Rating: 5
Offensive Rating: 5
Overall: 5

___________________________ _ _ _ 
I intend to continue doing these pre-season overviews before each season going forward. But I have a couple questions/things to say regarding the pre-season overviews. 1) you can create team sports writers for the different teams to be used in the pre-season overviews. Just give me a name, age, team, and if you want a backstory and personality that I will attempt to add. I won't be able to add each of them, but I will continue this for the other sports I plan on adding to my universe. 2) Should I include starting line-ups onto the pre-season overviews? Would that be something y’all would be interested in reading every season? I would spoiler them so as to not take up too much room in the thread. 3) for the regular season write-up, should I include a small section about each team (similar to what i did towards the end of my American Handball League thread) or just the standard league overview so I don't clutter too much into the season posts? If you have any other questions or suggestions I'll respond to them.

Last edited by master BDoof (CodeG) (3/25/2021 5:13 pm)

3/28/2021 10:02 am  #6

Before we start talking about the season, let’s share a moment of silence for Irvin Gentry… Now that that’s out of the way, we can finally dive into the first official season of the Premier Soccer League. 

1922 Regular Season

Philadelphia and DC kicked off the inaugural season with a 2-2 tie. The tie was settled after a 86’ goal by Philly’s Adam Striker. I wish i could say the rest of the season was nice to both clubs, but both finished at the bottom of the table, with 26 and 27 points respectively. One upside for Philly was their remarkable defense, which gave up an average of 1.2 goals a game. But their offense could not get anything done. DC had similar problems. As for the favorites going into the season. The most surprising finishes would be Buffalo and Trois at 3rd and 4th respectively. Buffalo was rated the worst out of all 6 teams going into the season, mostly due to their lack of defense. But their offense shined with forwards Zach Pearce leading the league in goals and Sam Owen leading in assists. While Trois had numerous problems, such as an aging core, GK Ryan Downes missing the entirety of April-May, their biggest problem was lack of focus. Trois was preoccupied with the National Challenge Cup, in which they not only made the finals, they were the only PSL team to make it to the final four. Despite this, Trois would lose to the Tigres of Hartford in the final match 4-1. Going back to the PSL. The league was understandably ruled by Brooklyn’s powerful defense and NYC’s potent offense. With both finished 10 points up to the next closest team. Thus, both of them will play in the first ever Premier Soccer League Championship Game. In order of founder Irvin Gentry, the neutral site will be played in his former team’s stadium in Reading, PA. 

1922 PSL Championship Game I, Reading, Pa.
"How do you do. On this fond, quaint afternoon in Pennsland, two clubs will play to be immortalized within folk history for as long as history allows. The sounds of the Schuylkill River and bustling traffic still ever distant, would soon be dwarfed by cheers and chants of the crowd. Though as both teams hailed from New York, it was not nearly as loud as their home games. I did find some individuals in support of one or another despite the location of the game. The match started off quick with the first goal coming in the 5’ minute by Brooklyn’s speeder Dan Faria. New York City would tie it up 30 minutes later by way of a long kick by Jared Johnson. Going into the second half, Pirates young forward, Steve Thompson, demonstrated his skill well beyond his youth with three unassisted scoring chances in the first 10 minutes of the half. Though the tie would be broken shortly after by Thompson passing to Mike Strickland. A few minutes later Pirates winger Harry Kirkbride brought the ball from one end to the other before passing to Thompson who would finally score a goal. Now up 3-1 with twenty left, Brooklyn players were starting to look blue. As the minutes ticked down, Brooklyn would score again but it was not enough as New York City Pirates would win the first Premier Soccer League title in a dominating fashion with 9 shots on goal to 4. While saddened by my local team losing, the game was quite entertaining and the Pirates showed much talent that should lead them ahead." -James Tiberius, The Brooklyn Courier

BRK Faria 5’

NYC Johnson 36’

NYC Strickland 58’

NYC Thompson 61’
BRK Murchison 88’

Last edited by master BDoof (CodeG) (3/28/2021 10:04 am)

3/31/2021 5:03 pm  #7

I've been meaning to write some comments on this series.  I like what I'm seeing so far!  As a fellow AHS member with 0 design skill, I like how you've gotten around it by describing (in pretty good detail) what each team wears and when.  That's a good way to let us visualize the teams and I can imagine what each looks like in great detail. 

So far, I feel my favorite team are the New York City Pirates, (no, not because they won the first championsip).  I like the all black idea for this team, they definitely feel foreboding, also it reminds me of the New Zealand All-Blacks, the only rugby team I know anything about.     I also enjoyed visualizing Trois Rivieres FC (more than I like having to keep scrolling down to see how they spell their name, lmao!  And yes, I'm fine with them not being black and yellow too), Brooklyn Blue AC, and Buffalo FC.   

Finally, scrooge John Budd is already my favorite character in the series.  I love how ridiculously cheap he is, bartering with other teams to change their gear just so he doesn't have to spend money on more uniforms is hilarious and probably realistic for the time period.  

Good start!  Best of luck with this series!

3/31/2021 6:09 pm  #8

Stickman wrote:

I've been meaning to write some comments on this series.  I like what I'm seeing so far!  As a fellow AHS member with 0 design skill, I like how you've gotten around it by describing (in pretty good detail) what each team wears and when.  That's a good way to let us visualize the teams and I can imagine what each looks like in great detail. 

So far, I feel my favorite team are the New York City Pirates, (no, not because they won the first championsip).  I like the all black idea for this team, they definitely feel foreboding, also it reminds me of the New Zealand All-Blacks, the only rugby team I know anything about.     I also enjoyed visualizing Trois Rivieres FC (more than I like having to keep scrolling down to see how they spell their name, lmao!  And yes, I'm fine with them not being black and yellow too), Brooklyn Blue AC, and Buffalo FC.   

Finally, scrooge John Budd is already my favorite character in the series.  I love how ridiculously cheap he is, bartering with other teams to change their gear just so he doesn't have to spend money on more uniforms is hilarious and probably realistic for the time period.  

Good start!  Best of luck with this series!

Thankyou so much for the kind words and excitement (again). I'm glad that my explanations of uniforms was that well received, I was really worried that I was mincing words and not describing enough (I have a tendency to either describe things too in detail or with no detail). 

Ah the Pirates, since I have already simulated every PSL season until 1991 I have plenty of things I want to say about them, but I won't. Fun fact, when I first made this league it was as an experiment to see what sticked, and I purposely made the Pirates as the only team that I knew wouldn't relocate ever (obviously I ended up enjoying the experiment so much I decided to expand upon it to make the PSC). Another fun fact, in my official Apple Notes sheet of seasons, Trois Riviéres FC is spelled wrong every single time they appear, and they're not the only one but thats for later.

Mr. Budd is definitely one of the most colorful characters in my league, and obviously, has appeared in the NBF as well. I'm very glad and appreciative that you enjoy it so much. Hopefully I won't let you down!

5/15/2021 9:59 am  #9

1922 Player Awards
Golden Boot: Zach Pearce BUF 28 goals
Golden Glove: Josh Machlin BRK 7 clean sheets
Playmaker: Sam Owen BUF 13 assists

U. S. Challenge Cup Results
I technically explained this in the season write-up, however I will be moving it to the off-season post indefinitely. The only PSL team to make it into the Final Four of the Challenge Cup was Trois Rivières FC. They beat out SC Cleveland to make it to the finals, however they lost to the Tigres of Hartford 2-1 in the final match. Making it a rather fruitless season for Trois. 

Transfers 
In: 
GK Ryan Moore, transfers from DC FC to Buffalo FC, which overall will be a huge boost to Buffalo’s disastrous defense.
ST Nick Higgins, transfers from SC Cleveland from the Ohio State League to Buffalo FC, despite being 30 he is expected to be their lead striker.
B Ron Landry, becomes the first Canadian in the PSL by signing with Buffalo FC.
M Mike McBride, signs with DC FC.
M Andy Unruh, transfers from Saint Louis Soccer Club to Trois Rivières FC.
B Zander Keith, possibly the biggest deal, transfers from Rowing Club (Philly) to the Quicksilver for next to nothing.
ST Bobby Walsh, transfers from Syracuse Racing to Brooklyn, which should help the overall lacking offensive core of Brooklyn.
F Matt Greve, Queens’ Guard >> Brooklyn Blue FC.
F Will Rowland, signs with NYC.
M Dan Watson, transfers from Philly to DC.
Out: 
B Mark Ellinger, NYC. Retires.
F Steve Beekman, transfers from Brooklyn to Canton Wanderers.
B Zach Bombard, leaves DC FC and transfers to FC Plymouth of the New England Association.

M Chad Cook, transfers from DC FC to Chesapeake Bay FC.
ST Gates Frizzell, in a rather strange move, Trois transfers their only real striker to Challenge Cup rivals SC Cleveland. 

Coaching Changes
Trois resigned coach Arthur Roth, the 59 year old has been with the team since the early 1900s and has no signs of stopping now, or at least for the next three years. 

League News
The inaugural PSL season garnered much respect in the American sports landscape. Though not nearly enough to be considered the top league in the nation. With Hartford winning the Challenge Cup and only 1 PSL team making it to the final four the other leagues see the PSL as just a glorified NY-PENN League. However, in a surprising notion, Donald Clarke, owner of Tigres of Hartford has expressed some interest in joining the PSL. No announcement or talks for an “expansion” have been made.

With the passing of Irvin Gentry, the PSL had to look for a new Commissioner. They found John Cooper, who was a former business partner of Gentry and was a share-holder on DC FC. He would relinquish his shares in-order to participate as the league’s Commissioner. His first order of business would be to announce that the previously suggested notion of hosting the PSL Cup game in a neutral city every season would be continued after it was experimented with in the inaugural season. The 1923 season would continue to host it in Reading, PA, but after that Cooper announced that all 6 owners would vote on the host the week before each Cup game. The only rules are that they cannot vote for the field they occupy and that if there be a tie that the Commissioner is the tie-breaker.

Misc. Note. Once the World Cup begins play in 1930, I will have a separate off-season post following the US and Canada national men's teams throughout each World Cup. They will not be a huge resim, but they will include players from the PSL as it continues to grow, evolve, and eventually include players abroad. If I ever catch up to the present day then I may do large full sims of each World Cup. But for now look forward to 1930, and hope that I post more than once every third blue moon. I will also be including the CONCACAF Champions Cup in the off-season post with the U. S. Challenge Cup once it starts in the 1960s. Similar to the Challenge Cup, it won't be a huge simulation, just a post with the final four and what-not. 

Last edited by master BDoof (CodeG) (5/15/2021 10:16 am)

5/22/2021 8:52 am  #10

1923 Pre-season Team Overviews

Brooklyn Blue AC
Not only did they massively improve their weakness, they also improved their strengths with defensive depth. Forwards Bobby Walsh and Matt Greve look to be a terrifying front pairing when flanked by two of the league’s fastest wingers in Cameron Murchison and Dan Faria. Their biggest improvement wouldn’t be any new transfers, but the massive improvement made by captain Brian Giaccone. After losing the championship he went on a 4 month sabbatical to train his body and his football skills. He came back with a six-pack and a point to prove that he’s the best player in the PSL. Along with possibly the best goaltender in the league, Josh Machlin, Brooklyn has a huge chance at avenging themselves for last years failures.
Defense Rating: 5.4
Offensive Rating: 5.4
Overall Rating: 5.4

Buffalo FC

After a surprise performance last year netting them 3rd place, this year they will not cling to luck and instead worked on improving both the current players and bringing in new faces. They started at easily their worst position, being goalkeeper. Signing Ryan Moore from DC FC for 20k dollars was the largest transfer thus far, and potentially the most impactful. They also added B Ron Landry from Canada who will fill in the holes. Buffalo also sports the best team-depth in the league with 3 bench players who could be starters on other teams. Owner, Samuel Crane also announced that he expects them to not only be in the PSL Cup Finals but also the U.S. Challenge Cup Finals, which no team has done yet.
Defense Rating: 5.2
Offensive Rating: 5.3
Overall Rating: 5.2

DC FC

With the departure of team captain Zach Bombard, DC promotes M Kevin White from vice-captain to captain, making him the first African-American Captain in the PSL. Despite transferring away starting keeper, Ryan Moore to Buffalo, DC’s defense looks to continue being a wall. Though most of that is due to B Tony Payton who is easily the best player on the team. He has been on record saying he could defend an entire team on his own, though that doesn’t stop DC from placing veteran Pat Cox in the backfield to help. Former backup GK Ben Lund and transfer F Dan Watson look to fill in the gaps that left them second to last in the previous season.
Defense Rating: 5.4
Offense Rating: 5.1
Overall Rating: 5.3

New York City Pirates
Overall, the Pirates did not make any major moves following their PSL Cup win. They focused mainly on bringing their core back while fixing up the bench to hopefully make a run at the U. S. Challenge Cup. Which means all of their talents and skills stay in the Big Apple for chance at repeating. Another thing to note, other than captain M Steve Beeghly and F Josch Gleason (33 and 31 respectively) the entire rest of the team are all under the age of 30. Along with strides from GK Lee Belt and rookie back Jordan Powell, there seems to be no end in sight for this club.
Defense Rating: 5.6
Offense Rating: 5.6
Overall Rating: 5.6

Philadelphia Quicksilver FC
The ‘Silver enter into a crossroads for their franchise. Several core members are nearing retirement such as, GK Jesse Johnson 38, B Danny Herrington 39, and Captain M Trey Panico 37. While young stars such as GK Brian Graf and F Bobby Dickinson are on the horizon, the question becomes how will coach Justin Young balance a team with severe age and experience issues on all sides that already finished last in the previous season.
Defense Rating: 5.1
Offensive Rating: 5.0
Overall Rating: 5.0

Trois Rivières FC
Several changes appear on the horizon for Trois, their chances at the national cup are dwindling yet their owner stands firm that the team will put its eyes further than just their new league, which he relates the PSL to practice later on during his long address. Now the oldest team in the league and they are now without a true striker after selling Gates Frizzell to SC Cleveland. Despite that they still have premium talent in GK Ryan Downes, Fowards Xavier Turner and Ben Taylor, and new transfer M Andy Unruh look to solidify solid placings both league-wise and nationally.
Defensive Rating: 5.1
Offensive Rating: 5.2
Overall Rating: 5.2

Board footera