Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/08/2021 5:26 pm  #861

Re: History of the National Football Association - 1974-75 Season

Is this on haitus or something?

1/08/2021 5:35 pm  #862

MitchSwanson94 wrote:

It takes time for creators to work on their projects, especially those with other things going on in their lives. Patience, I'm sure DP is working on it.

1/08/2021 5:41 pm  #863

MitchSwanson94 wrote:

Since you're new, I'll give some friendly advice. Needless thread bumping is discouraged as it does not add anything substantive to the thread. The author last posted less than a week ago. Patience is a virtue. It takes time to produce quality content. A simple idea is to post quality thoughts, critique, or feedback on recent offerings by the author. If you've already done so, then sit back and await new content or use that opportunity to peruse other series on our boards.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

1/08/2021 5:42 pm  #864

MitchSwanson94 wrote:

Keep Calm! Pepper will write up something fantastic, like they usually do.

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

1/08/2021 5:58 pm  #865

MitchSwanson94 wrote:

Not at all! As with a lot of people, life got kind of busy and stressful around the holidays, plus this week is my first week back in classes so I've kinda been taking a break as to not burn myself out. The rest of the offseason is about ready to be posted.

Thanks to all who commented!

1/15/2021 5:36 pm  #866

Do any NFA teams have cheerleaders as of now?

2/07/2021 12:04 pm  #867

I know this is super late, but I was rereading some of the history. You mentioned not wanting to make Cleveland look too similar to the Eagles but then went back on it. While I dont see that as bad or anything, as the light green with white/silver wing is the best look for that style. What if you made the helmet silver/white with the green wing? 

Runs the highly unsuccessful PSC project featuring the Premier Soccer League and National Baseball Federation

2/08/2021 6:04 pm  #868

master BDoof (CodeG) wrote:

I know this is super late, but I was rereading some of the history. You mentioned not wanting to make Cleveland look too similar to the Eagles but then went back on it. While I dont see that as bad or anything, as the light green with white/silver wing is the best look for that style. What if you made the helmet silver/white with the green wing? 

You know I don't honestly remember the definite reason I didn't go with a white helmet. But I think it probably had to do with the fact that the other 2 green teams in the league both don't use a green helmet, and I wanted to have a green helmet. Also, the Eagles had a white helmet irl around the same year of the time they were rebranding. They rebranded in 1966, and the Eagles had a white helmet with green wings from like the mid sixties to early 70's (I didn't double check this I might be a lil off)

Although I definitely experimented with it because I have a prototype, so yeah.
Thanks for the question!

By the way guys I have the next 2 seasons completed-ish. I think my goal right now is to just get those done and put this on a little planned hiatus, just so I can fully focus on other things. Thanks for understanding!

2/08/2021 6:16 pm  #869

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

master BDoof (CodeG) wrote:

You know I don't honestly remember the definite reason I didn't go with a white helmet. But I think it probably had to do with the fact that the other 2 green teams in the league both don't use a green helmet, and I wanted to have a green helmet. Also, the Eagles had a white helmet irl around the same year of the time they were rebranding. They rebranded in 1966, and the Eagles had a white helmet with green wings from like the mid sixties to early 70's (I didn't double check this I might be a lil off)

Although I definitely experimented with it because I have a prototype, so yeah.
Thanks for the question!

By the way guys I have the next 2 seasons completed-ish. I think my goal right now is to just get those done and put this on a little planned hiatus, just so I can fully focus on other things. Thanks for understanding!

I get that you have to go on hiatus, but this thread is so good! Hopefully these next two seasons live up to expectations! 

2/15/2021 1:58 pm  #870

Well I'm back! It took a bit longer than hoped, but I'm glad to finally be posting again. Here's the rest of the '70 offseason.

1970 Offseason

18th Annual NFA Draft:

Coming into this year's draft, everyone felt pretty confident in who would go in the top two picks. The two top players in the draft, two quarterbacks with promising talent, QB Skip Anderson and QB Rich Wilkerson were both coming off great senior years at their respective universities where they both collected several accolades and proved themselves to be head and shoulders over the rest of the group. Anderson, who played for Payne State University, had come into the season with high expectations from fans around the country and fulfilled them. He won the national championship and won the McCarthy Trophy, which is the annual award for the nation’s best player in collegiate football. Both these things gave him the slight edge over Wilkerson, who was a much more surprising candidate to be in this position. Wilkerson had spent the previous two seasons with middling stats for a mediocre Arkansas State team, but had exploded onto the scene when his Eagles started the season 9-0. They’d be ranked number 1 overall as a result of it. But a close loss dropped them down to where they ended the season, at 5. Wilkerson came second in the McCarthy Trophy voting behind Anderson. Anderson and Wilkerson both play very similarly and hold similar traits. Both have rare precision on deep passes and are great at sensing the game around them. Anderson has the slight edge however over Wilkerson as he’s been much more consistent and proven at being able to turn these skills into wins. Other top prospects, who were overshadowed by Wilkerson and Anderson, were players such as the nimble RB Doug Reed (Florida), WR Pat McConnell (Indiana-Lafayette) , and CB Chuck Gardener-Moore (Louisiana). 
However after all the bickering over whether Wilkerson or Anderson would go first, the Lumberjacks would shock the league and trade the first overall pick. Seattle would trade down just one spot, swapping the first overall pick with Atlanta for the second overall and a 4th rounder. Atlanta would subsequently take Anderson answering the questions of many. But Seattle would only continue to create more as they still wouldn’t take a QB at 2. Instead they took LB Glenn Quill (Ohio). To be fair, Quill is arguably the best defensive player in the draft with great field vision and the superpower to recognize plays and shut them down seemingly before the snap. But Seattle’s current quarterback situation isn’t the best, which generates a lot of questions as to why they passed up on one of the most NFA ready quarterback prospects in recent memory. With the pick, Quill would become the first african-american to be picked in the top 2 picks in NFA history. 
Wilkerson would fall all the way to 4 where he’d be picked up by Texas. Texas had been trying to negotiate with Seattle for that first pick in an attempt to snag either Wilkerson or Anderson, fearing neither of them would get past the top 2 picks. However Seattle was scared Quill, who had been their target all along, would be picked by Cincinnati if not by them, so they didn’t want to trade too far down. In the end though, the Riders, along with all the others in the top 4 got who they wanted. The Sabres would take Reed at 3, who should help out QB Roy Frazier on offense. Detroit would round out a chaotic top 5 with OL Randall Parish (Southern) 

1.Atlanta Bulldogs (From SEA) - QB Skip Anderson - Payne State University
2.Seattle Lumberjacks (From ATL) - LB Glenn Quill - Ohio University
3.Cincinnati Sabres -RB Doug Reed - Florida University
4.Texas Roughriders - QB Rich Wilkerson - Arkansas State University
5.Detroit Bombers - OL Randall Parish - Southern University 

Other Notable Picks:
6.Minneapolis Blue Ox - WR Pat McConnell - Indiana-Lafayette University
14.Houston Explorers - CB Chuck Gardener-Moore - University of Louisiana 

Roster Changes
-The biggest roster changes this year wasn’t a trade or a signing, but instead a huge retiring class. Two great defensive players in DE Curly Smith, LB Eli Webber, would both hand up their cleats and two clear Hall of Famers in QB Scott Hogg, RB Stevie Parks also retired. Smith enjoyed a 12 year long career split between the Hornets and Bombers. Webber played 11 years, starting with the Tigers and spending time in Chicago and Philadelphia as well. RB Stevie Parks would play his whole career for Boston from 1957-70. He’d win the 1964 MVP award whilst leading the Gaels to two Champions Bowl victories in ‘65 and ‘66. Parks would be considered the best in his position during that time as well. His career would start going downhill after some injuries later on in his career, which he says was the biggest factor for his retirement. QB Scott Hogg’s retirement could warrant an entire post in itself. Hogg was originally drafted by Washington in 1954 with the second overall pick, but was immediately flipped the next year to Chicago after a rough 1 win rookie campaign. However his first season in Chicago would be a shot heard around the world. The Z-men, as they’d later be nicknamed, would go 8-0 on the season and beat Philadelphia in the Champions Bowl. Hogg would win the MVP award that year and next and spearhead the biggest dynasty in football history. Over his incredible 16 year career, all of which after his rookie year, was spent with Chicago, he’d collect 4 MVPs, 6 Champions Bowl victories, 3 Champions Bowl MVPs, 6 Western Division titles, and would be the only player in NFA history to have over 100 wins as a starter. He was undefeated in the Champions Bowl and produced the biggest beatdown in postseason history in 1958 when the Zephyrs trounced the Pirates 45-0. Hogg would redefine the quarterback position and break records in all of the following: passing yards, passing touchdowns, pass attempts per game, completions per game, touchdowns in a season, touchdowns in a game, passing yards in a season, passing yards in a game, and consecutive touchdowns passes. Hogg is considered to be the greatest of all time. His legacy in Chicago will be remembered forever and his number was immediately retired. 

-In Boston, QB Cameron Meyer would be promoted as the full time starter, and a struggling Lou Harris would be traded to Cleveland.
-Reigning MVP RB Elijah Boone resigns with Miami on a massive 5 year deal.
-RB Charley Rodgers resigns with the Pirates for 2 more years.-CB Jerry Slaughter resigns with the Sabres for 5 years.
-WR Edward Fischer, whose deal ran out with New York, signs with Houston giving QB Zachary Ingram a talented option on offense.
-LB Art Gladson, a big part of the Cannons championship caliber defense, signs with Chicago.
-RB Robert Curry, former top 5 pick, is released by Seattle. He signs with Boston.
-Atlanta releases former MOD award winner, LB Bob Hayes. He signs with Minneapolis.
-Seattle signs DT Bob Daniels. Daniels was released by Texas after several off field issues. 

Coaching Changes:
-Bulldogs fire Patrick Felts, Jim Crain, now rejuvenated with the team’s relocation to Atlanta, and with less stress on his back as a shared owner, retains position as head coach.
-Sabres fire John Manfield and hire Washington Pirates former OC Mitchell Daniels 

League News:
-Commissioner Leonard Cherry steps down after suffering a heart attack the week before the start of the 1970-71 season. Businessman Tom Sweeney was placed as an interim for the 70-71 season. A vote was organized to be held at the end of the season to determine who would fill Cherry’s spot. Frontrunners include Sweeney, Zephyrs General Manager George Kelly, former Congressmen Marshall Miller, and former player and President of the NFA Players Association Andrew Cassell. 

Preseason Power Rankings:
1.Miami Stingrays
2.Washington Pirates
3.San Francisco Whales
4.Philadelphia Hornets
5.Cleveland Rangers
6.Houston Explorers
7.Milwaukee Barbarians
8.Cincinnati Sabres
9.Pittsburgh Ironmen
10.Chicago Zephyrs
11.Minneapolis Blue Ox