Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/14/2019 11:22 pm  #21

Re: History of the National Football Association - 1974-75 Season

The updated yellow for Philly is great, it's got my vote.

I'm digging that Pittsburgh logo! I think the font detracts though-- a serif/slab font would better serve an industrial design imo. Count me a fan though. Good stuff!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

9/14/2019 11:26 pm  #22

New York, Philly and Pittsburgh all look great.

Of the options for Philly I would go with the blue and athletic gold. Like others have said, I love the history behind the Hornets name, Philly is gonna be my team until Minnesota gets one.

Last edited by Section30 (9/14/2019 11:27 pm)

9/15/2019 12:13 pm  #23

I've updated Philly to the athletic gold! Thanks for the input.

The final team to be revealed are the Washington Pirates!
The Washington Pirates were founded in 1939, making them the youngest team in the NFA. They, much like the Bulldogs, never played in the NFA, rather playing in the APL up until this year. They, although being young, were dominant. Winning the last 3 APL championships before joining the NFA. They are the favorites to win it all this year. They're the only team to not have a white jersey, as they never have had one, always opting for blue or red depending on the opponent. That means they've never had and still don't have a designated home or away jersey.

C&C appreciated! Glad y'all like Pittsburgh, I've got some really cool ideas for what their identity will turn into! The first season should be up later today!

9/15/2019 3:27 pm  #24

Love Pittsburgh’s logo it really matches the period. For some reason I was expecting a similar logo to the defunct Fort Wayne Pistons, don’t ask why because there is zero reason. I would add a color to the set, they currently remind me of another fictional Pittsburgh team that is fairly popular.

Washington is my favorite right now. I think the name is unique and they have the best striping of all teams in my opinion. I really like the logo but I think a team with that basic of a design might include a football element in the primary logo like a ball below the swords. In any other application of the logo (like the helmet) they could drop the extra element and just use swords and skull.

9/15/2019 4:42 pm  #25

Philadelphia's new yellow is fantastic! I really like all the teams, but you can count me as a Baltimore until (if) Charlotte gets a team. Great stuff!

9/15/2019 5:24 pm  #26

1946 NFA Standings:
Boston Gaels: 6-1-1
Washington Pirates: 6-2
New York Cannons: 5-2-1
Philadelphia Hornets: 4-4
Pittsburgh Ironmen: 3-4-1
Baltimore Bulldogs: 1-6-1

The first ever NFA game was played on October 20th, 1946, the Boston Gaels on the road against Pittsburgh Ironmen, the game would end scoreless, resulting in each teams only tie of the season. After this game Boston would win their next 4 before playing Pittsburgh again, this time though it would result in their only loss of the season. This on the other hand was the first of the Ironmen’s 3 game win streak to end the season.With Boston at the top were the Pirates, who were undefeated until they played Boston in week 6, suffering their first loss, 10 to 3. They would split the last 2 games of the season. Next were the Cannons, Hornets and Ironmen, who all played mediocrely. In last place were the Bulldogs who lost their QB Matthew Swanigan to a shoulder injury in week 1, which derailed the entire season. They only won 1 game all season. That coming in week 4 against the Hornets.

There it is! The first ever NFA season (though technically not) How’d your team do? Got any predictions on who will win the first Champions Bowl? C&C appreciated!

9/15/2019 8:44 pm  #27

Quick point - how did New York manage two ties if Boston and Pittsburgh both played in the only other tie game of the season?

Apart from that, though, solid writeup. Excited that my Gaels did as well as they did, though it seems I might end up hating Pittsburgh in yet another football universe. Hopefully they can pull it out in the Champs Bowl.

Also, while I'm here, I really like Washington's unique jersey set up, and the striping is great. I just hope they lose next week.

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

9/15/2019 8:56 pm  #28

Seems like Pittsburgh was competitive but lacked enough juice to really fly in these early days.

Who are some of each team's top players?

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

9/15/2019 10:23 pm  #29

ItDoesntMatter wrote:

Quick point - how did New York manage two ties if Boston and Pittsburgh both played in the only other tie game of the season?

Apart from that, though, solid writeup. Excited that my Gaels did as well as they did, though it seems I might end up hating Pittsburgh in yet another football universe. Hopefully they can pull it out in the Champs Bowl.

Also, while I'm here, I really like Washington's unique jersey set up, and the striping is great. I just hope they lose next week.

Because I somehow red the Cannons record wrong... It should be updated in the original post.

Steelman wrote:

Seems like Pittsburgh was competitive but lacked enough juice to really fly in these early days.

Who are some of each team's top players?

Well arguably the best 2 quarterbacks are on the best 2 teams, Elijah Kingston for the Gaels, and Terrance Gaines for the Pirates. The best RB would also be on the Gaels, John Wiseman. The best defensive player could be middle linebacker Geoff Brantley or defensive linemen Bucky Frost. But you'd probably be interested in Pittsburgh's players, Their led by QB Lonnie Sanders, who is unfortunately, maybe the worst QB in the league. The do have some good defense though, led by Mike Bennett. Some other guys of note are WRs Gabriel Coleman and Arthur Patchinson and RB James Barnes.

9/17/2019 8:04 pm  #30

The 1st NFA Champion Bowl was played in Boston, MA on December 21th, 1946. A battle between the 2 best NFA teams; the Washington Pirates and the Boston Gaels. Boston struck first, RB John Wiseman breaking out for an 18 yard touchdown run on 3rd down. It didn’t take long for the Pirates to strike back. Not 3 minutes later was Washington already at the Boston 15. This thanks to WR Larry Randolph breaking 2 tackles, turning a 2 yard pass into a 46 yard gain. On 2nd down on the Gaels goal line, Pirates QB Terrence Gaines, dives into the endzone tying it up at 7. The first quarter would end tied at 7.
After a long drive ended in a missed field goal for the Gaels. They would immediately get it back thanks to a fumble by the Pirates which quickly led to an avenging field goal make, giving Boston a 10-7 lead. On the following kick return Washington would fumble again, and although it was recovered by a Pirates player, it would lead to bad field position, which lead to a safety. Boston would keep the 12-7 lead going into half time. 
Washington started the 3rd quarter with a long drive that ended in them taking a 14-12 lead, They would then intercept a Boston pass on 3rd down setting them up in prime field position to score again. Unfortunately they had to settle for 3. Boosting the lead to 5. Both teams would suffer 3 and outs before the 3rd quarter came to rest. 
Entering the 4th with the ball, Boston had to score. They marched down the field until they got to the Pirates 20, where a big sack, almost jarring the ball loose, set them back to the 28. 2nd and 18 quickly turned into 4th and 9 and they had to settle for the field goal, in hopes they’d get the ball back. Washington wouldn’t give them that opportunity though. They took the rest of the quarter to go down the field. They let the clock run out sealing their victory.
The Washington Pirates win over the Boston Gaels, 17-15.

C&C appreciated! And congrats to the Pirates!

Board footera