Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/03/2020 12:01 pm  #771

Re: History of the National Football Association - 1974-75 Season

Congrats to the Hornets on a fantastic win, certainly starting to like Washington and the Hornets (still not beating out the Blue Ox), but they got my respect. And I love the Banner!

12/03/2020 4:15 pm  #772

I hate the Hornets but I like how that championship banner looks. Nice work!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

12/05/2020 6:02 pm  #773

Thank you for all the nice comments on the Champions Bowl and the new banner. I'll continue to implement it into future seasons!

Speaking of implementing new things into the series... Here’s the first part of this summer’s offseason!

What’s the Coffee Rule? The Bulldogs and the Route to Atlanta

Going into last season, the Bulldogs, more specifically their owner: Jim Crain, had spent the last year and a half mulling over and publicly complaining about their home, Chesapeake Bay Stadium, and the city’s noncompliance to fulfill his requests to build the team a new one. While it may seem like a black and white issue, both sides have valid reasoning. Bay Stadium as it’s nicknamed, while not in the worst condition, is a poorly kept relic of the 40’s that is the smallest stadium in the league, needing renovation or replacement. However, Crain’s demands aren’t really achievable, leaving the city in a tough spot. Crain’s most current demand is a near $30 million dollar multi purpose stadium to be paid for 100% by the city. As time’s gone on he’s only gotten more adamant he gets it the way he wants, despite the city finally opening up for compromise last summer. 
So now we travel to last season when Crain finally found a suitable business partner for his plans. Ford Casey is a millionaire from Atlanta who had a smaller role in the former SFL and who knows his way around football. Casey’s deal was much more compelling than any other options because Casey has offered to completely privately fund the building of the new stadium, only if Crain were to move the team to Atlanta and offer up a percentage of the ownership. Crain, despite actively ruining his relationship with the city, grew up the son of the Bulldogs founder and wants to keep the team in the city he grew up in. He was also greedy enough to try to keep complete ownership of the team. On top of all that, he’s convinced himself that he can have his cake and eat it too, building the state of the art stadium in Baltimore and have to not pay for it, which is what’s made this whole fiasco go on for 2 years. Crain and Casey did however finally see eye to eye last season and Crain briefed the idea of relocating the team to Atlanta to the owners, citing that the deal would be a good investment for the league. Whether or not that was true didn’t matter when Crain finally decided that he was going to accept Casey’s deal and bring the team 685 miles south to Atlanta. This brought upon an owners meeting where the owners just barely passed a vote to activate the Coffee Rule in a 11-9 vote. 
The Coffee Rule was added in 1965 after the original Pittsburgh Ironmen’s owner Joseph Coffee sold the team to a buyer from Milwaukee and he relocated the team there not long after. This relocation wasn’t actually rejected by the league in the end. But many owners said they didn’t think it was the best decision for the league, losing one of it’s key markets for a much more mediocre one.
It was eventually created the next year by the owners to prevent something similar from happening again. Or to just add more chances to prevent the relocation of teams that the league didn’t approve of. If the league decides to activate the Coffee Rule, like they did last season, the decision of whether or not the relocation happens passes onto the relocation council before heading back to the owners, who perform several votes on whether or not to relocate the team. It’s presumed that whatever the relocation council decides becomes a deciding factor in whether or not the team does relocate. The relocation council is a new board of officials, similar to an expansion council that votes on whether or not the team should relocate. 
The owners cited that despite the promising nature of the stadium, which would be one of the nicest in the league, the Bulldogs already have a low attendance rating, the lowest in the league last season, and relocating to a city where a football team already failed was a recipe for disaster. This was the reason they activated the Coffee Rule. 
Commissioner Cherry announced at the end of the season that the relocation council vote was to be held in February whether or not the Bulldogs would relocate. If the relocation eventually passes, Crain and Casey go along with the deal and the Bulldogs most likely are going to start the 1969-70 season in Atlanta. If it doesn’t then Crain and Casey have an opportunity to look back at their offer and make it better. Then the owners would decide whether or not to activate the Coffee Rule. If they do the cycle continues all over again until either side concedes.

Now, a fourth wall break. Since all of that is explained now, I just wanted to reassure you that yes, this is an expansion council type situation. The decision is more or less in your hands. Whether or not this is a bad idea we’ll find out later, but I wanted to try it out.
Originally I wanted to do this with Pittsburgh but I couldn’t make it work out, so I’m trying it now. If you have any questions please let me know. 
 Do not vote yet, my next post will be the actual relocation council post, where I’ll explain how to vote and everything. Hopefully y’all like this, it’s a bit different but the expansion councils always go over well. 

Also, this won’t be a permanent feature for all relocations. So don’t always expect it to happen if a team talks about relocation.

C&C as always, is appreciated!

12/05/2020 6:15 pm  #774

Interesting. This should be interesting to see what happens. I like this idea and I hope other people like it as well

12/06/2020 12:14 pm  #775

Nice!  This is a pretty cool idea!  Cant wait to see how this plays out!

12/06/2020 8:13 pm  #776

Alright, I'll take it that people are on board with the idea. If anyone still has questions, don't be afraid to ask.

1969 Baltimore Bulldogs Relocation Council

After waiting for the end of the season, the day finally came for the relocation council to vote on the fate of the Bulldogs. The official proposal is a 69,000 seat, state of the art multi purpose stadium that would be privately funded by the Bulldogs ownership. Jim Crain, who currently has ownership of the team, would give up  part of it to Ford Casey, who would then fund the stadium. It would be the newest stadium at the time of it's completion, becoming the league's 4th biggest stadium. The Bulldogs relocation would be immediate. The Stadium would begin construction in the late summer of 1969 and plan to open in time for the 1971-72 season. Until then the Bulldogs would play their game at the Peach Bowl, the home of Georgia State University’s football program that seats roughly 55,000. (Keep in mind that the Peach Bowl is also not only bigger than the Dogs current stadium, but also better built for football.) 

To vote on the council you must include:

Name:Favorite Team:
Should the Bulldogs Relocate?:
Your Reasoning Why: 

The council will complete once adequate votes are tallied. 

Hopefully this goes well!

12/06/2020 8:19 pm  #777

Priest Danries
San Francisco Whales
Yes
Fans aren't happy, the ownership isn't happy, time for a new change in pace.

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

12/06/2020 8:36 pm  #778

Peter Isaacson
Baltimore Bulldogs
No
Baltimore is a market that deserves a team. The city of Baltimore has become willing to compromise on a stadium and Crain has shown a desire to keep the team in Baltimore. While Atlanta is a good market, they did already lose an SFL team and they make more sense as an expansion market. If possible, making Casey part of an Atlanta expansion group would ensure the funding the team needs and keeps him happy as well.

12/06/2020 8:51 pm  #779

Name: Miguel Burgos
Favorite Team: Whales
Should the Bulldogs Relocate?: No
Your Reasoning Why: Crain should instead sell the team if he doesn't get anywhere with his stadium push. Moving the team out of Baltimore could do irreparable harm to that market's appetite for the game.

12/06/2020 8:56 pm  #780

Stuart Cartwright
Cleveland Rangers
Yes
It seems like the city does not care about the team, the fans don’t care about the team and the stadium is a mess. Atlanta would draw fans from All across the Deep South and the new stadium sounds very nice and would be great for the league. Ford Casey sounds like he could be a good owner. This is a no-brainer to be honest

Edit: Plus, the Bulldogs City is right in between Philly and DC, two towns that both have highly successful teams in the NFA right now. Like Stickman said, there may be more Pirate and Hornet fans than Bulldog fans right now in Baltimore which certainly doesn’t help their case in staying in Maryland

Last edited by Rugrat (12/06/2020 9:40 pm)

Board footera