Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/21/2020 12:32 am  #401

Re: National Dashball League

I really dig the Tooths upgrade. I think you definitely elevated an already good looking brand. The new cat is super fierce. Nice work.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

10/22/2020 1:54 pm  #402

If you paid close attention to the offseason post, you’ll notice that I mostly referred to the team in the nation’s capital as DC rather than Washington. That’s because DC will be the team’s location, something I’ve had in mind from very near the beginning of this project, and far before I reasonably should’ve been thinking about this team’s identity. Why? Well, DC not only stands for District of Columbia (or, by 2029, Douglass Commonwealth), but also, Dashball Club. With the latter meaning in mind, I wanted to use a singular name to make it sound more European. Ultimately, though, I couldn’t really find one that I liked (other than Justice, and I don’t think I can get away with “DC Justice” even in a fictional universe). I ended up going with Statesmen, originally suggested by Burmy87, since I think it sounds singular enough to give that same feeling that I wanted. It also celebrates both the history present in the city as well as (in the future) DC’s new status as a state. Here are the DC Statesmen:

The primary logo is a square, reminiscent of the original shape of the district before retrocession, with a quill following the Potomac River to form its current shape. The DC flag is also in there, which was a no-brainer to me, and the name works its way around it as well. The quill on its own is a secondary logo, and there’s also an interlocking DC. Both the DC logo and the wordmark are in a Roman-ish font to invoke the classical feeling of the architecture of the area. In terms of colors, red was an obvious choice given both the flag and the rest of the pro teams in the city. I went with a kind of plum as the secondary to differentiate them from the red and navy blue of the Nats, Caps, and Wizards (and Redbacks). In universe, there also might or might not be something to the fact that red and purple are the colors of the two most successful teams in NDL history.

The uniforms aren’t too crazy. The main feature is the quills on the sleeves, kind of styled after the Chargers (which Chargers? both). The alternate uniform is almost exactly the same deal in purple, but I stole an idea from myself and split the jersey into quadrants, something I first did with DC Quidditch Club in my USQ series a while back. All three jerseys are paired with asymmetrical white shorts, splitting the flag up into the stripes on one side and the stars on the other.

The big feature on the court is the quill taking up the entirety of one end zone. The end zones are also purple, mostly because I like the way both of the other colors play off it.

To round things out, here’s a sig for any new Statesmen fans:

Let me know what y’all think! C&C appreciated!

Last edited by ItDoesntMatter (10/23/2020 2:10 am)

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

10/22/2020 2:00 pm  #403

Dang, the Statesmen look good. Everything from the logo to the colors to the uniforms is top-tier quality. Everything is so unique yet so obvious, this might be my favorite team yet. Very much looking forward to Minnesota!

10/22/2020 2:11 pm  #404

The Statesmen look beautiful! Dig the logo and uniforms a lot! Excited for Minnesota!

10/22/2020 2:12 pm  #405

I've been eagerly awaiting this set, as I've both lived and worked in DC in times throughout my life. I love that city. So I was gonna be super critical of whatever you produced because I think a lot of DC concepts are all bland. 

Color me impressed! First, I love the DC designation. Statesmen is a unique name and combined with DC, rolls off the tongue very well. Thank you for a unique color scheme. Red and purple is underrated and I think the purple feels very royal/justice in this instance. I really like the quill and it being used to mimic the Potomac in the logo. Super creative. I love the clean, classy jerseys with the shoulder quill. I like the quadrant idea, though currently the colors are so similar it's hard to tell, and I think we could see some super out-there quadrant designs for third jerseys. Maybe something they do every few years?

My only very minor-minor quibble, is I'd like the DC in the logo to be the same weight as the Statesmen text. I thought it got lost among the stars there. But again...super minor and probably unnecessary.

Killed this one! Nice work. I'm definitely a fan now. They'll be my second team behind Texas.

10/22/2020 4:10 pm  #406

Thanks for the comments, y'all!

Steelman wrote:

My only very minor-minor quibble, is I'd like the DC in the logo to be the same weight as the Statesmen text. I thought it got lost among the stars there. But again...super minor and probably unnecessary.

So the two actually are the same weight - in fact, the font only has the one weight - but now that you mention it, it does seem like the lowercase letters are generally thicker than the uppercase ones. I did take a shot at emboldening the two letters myself, so let me know if you like this better (original on the left, bold on the right):

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

10/22/2020 5:50 pm  #407

Yeah, that's odd how it looked lighter but was the same. I personally like the updated version, feels just a bit stronger overall in a subtle way.

10/22/2020 6:00 pm  #408

Wow, I'm a fan of the Statesmen's look! I agree with Steel, the updated version is an improvement.

10/22/2020 8:24 pm  #409

Yeah, the slightly thicker weight gives it that extra "oomph" it needs.

10/23/2020 2:12 am  #410

I agree with y'all, so I went and swapped the new bold versions in everywhere. I've updated the original post. Minnesota will probably be up Saturday!

Board footera