Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/31/2020 4:21 pm  #131

Re: Robin Island Baseball Federation

ThisIsFine wrote:

Have you tried putting your designs in OOTP? Because there are options for that.

Yeah, I have the logos and scripts in the game. What did you think of the new teams?

8/31/2020 4:32 pm  #132

Expansion teams look pretty good! Only critique I have is that on Shinsakai's away jersey, the wordmark on the front gets a bit lost on the powder blues imo. Maybe change it to white or red?

Now if only Joestar made some good decisions and go back to being good again....

Founder of the EFL and the AFL

8/31/2020 4:33 pm  #133

QCS wrote:

Thanks! Yeah, the reference is pretty obvious if you're a fan of JJBA. Also in the province of Araki is a town named Morioh and a city named Naples (and there are a couple other references scattered about the country) so as you can see I'm quite a big fan. As a fellow man of culture, I tip my hat to you, and good luck in your baseball endeavors

Thanks, though I just found out that ever since I updated my OS for the Fall Semester I am unable to run OOTP and several other games... So not only can I not create new leagues I cant continue my simulation that I have 1,600 hours in. So I'm going to have to figure out other ways to simulate now. I might try some older non-OOTP simulations I have.

QCS wrote:

No Joestar-like odd releases/signings/trades this season, but here's the rundown:

Hmmm. One could say they weren't very bizarre

... Every time I see them mentioned im just going to make various references.
Anyway,
My thoughts on some of the new teams 

Firstly the Carp: it is so ugly.... I love it

Crescent City: I like the jersey design and colors a lot. Im not a huge fan of the logo. I can't really see if the D is supposed to look like a D and a C or a D and a duck. Unless im looking way to into things.

Ft. Hayakawa: I like the pullovers, logo, colors, and fonts. But the hockey style logo on the front is definitely a deal breaker for me.

Shinsakai 2: Looks very similar to a combination of old and modern Rangers, which I like for the Rangers. Maybe some sort of pinstripes or other piping patterns could differentiate it a little bit. But mostly a nitpick

Sol: Definitely my favorite look of the bunch, but doesn't seem to fit into what I think of when I think of 70s designs. 
I like the design of the away uniform. Hopefully they keep that unique placing and use it more often once alternates start being of use. 

Runs the highly unsuccessful PSC project featuring the Premier Soccer League and National Baseball Federation

8/31/2020 5:53 pm  #134

Ducks: Has potential to be a classic.
Heroes: Nice name and colors, arrows in the logo remind me of subway.
Steamers: Basic.
Orions: Cool name and logo, both slightly ahead of their time.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

8/31/2020 6:00 pm  #135

Loving the Rangers-esque vibes of the Steamers! That powder blue is gorgeous, though I'm wondering if it needs to be a little softer to contrast with the Bay Blue.

As a Carp fan...I like the new design but I am appalled at the splotchy thingamajig. Burn that immediately. (I'm sure it will become some kind of weird collectors item)

The Orions look good but feel way too modern for '71, imo. It's probably the number font, honestly.

The Heroes are funky, kinda amateurish but professional at the same time. I like the look though.

The Ducks look great. That teal is beautiful.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THL, PUCH, WHA: Redux and Retroliga.

8/31/2020 7:46 pm  #136

Kings: Much better to see the crown on the shoulders of the road uniform rather than the strange double crown on the front of the jersey.  Still one of your best designs in the league!

Carp: 

Okay, so in all seriousness, and being unbiased here, there is a lot I like here.  For a total redesign, the font does look good, (not as much as the original, but I'm judging without history in mind and keeping an open mind to a very ambitious designer).  To be fair, the fronts of these jerseys are really nice overall and if I had to change the primary color from blue to orange, this is a good way to do that.   But I can't not say it, the back design of the jerseys are horrid and need to be removed within 2 seasons because no fan base in that era, (or any) would have been pleased with that design.  I will say this, it is courageous in some sense to make this kind of a change to a classic design in a way that properly simulates the way a real life team might do the same thing to a timeless design.  I like that dedication to realism and tone-deafness to fans design desires.  And that is admirable in a way.  Not necessary a good idea design-wise, but it's good creativity and again it's realistic to expect teams to do this to classic looking teams.   I'd even be okay if the Carp keep changing and never going back to the "good ol' days". Okay, my final grade on this actually would be a B, lots of potential, especially if you get rid of that insidious backside design. 

Ducks:  I always feel teal is a color that didn't get popular until the 90s.  Then I always remember the Miami Dolphins existed in this time frame.  I like this team right now.  I have a feeling they'd be one of those teams that'll be "Nike"-fied to death down the road, but I like this design!

Heroes: From an artistic point of view, I love this team.   They absolutely feel like a 70's team and I have a feeling you have some plans in mind for this team!   Very excited to see what you do with the Heroes, great backstory too to explain why this team would have player names on the backs of the jerseys!  Excellent job!

Steamers:  They're basic, but that's a good thing sometimes.  Not every team takes chances with their designs, (most don't actually) and I like this team amongst the expansion teams for keeping a classic approach while the other teams are more creative.  Again, realism means a lot to me here in these stories and this is realistic.  While somewhat forgettable, that's fine here for the Steamers!

Orions:  I think this is your best work of the expanion teams!   Absolutely love this team!  Simple, yet striking.  That's all I need to say about every element this team has, from the color palette, to the logo.  Even the humongous numbers have more a look of personality than goofiness, (and yeah the numbers are huge on this team).   If I wasn't a loyal fan of the Carp, this would easily be my new favorite team!

Really good job here QCS!  While not everything works in the traditional sense, I feel these designs and redesigns are pretty faithful to a project that goes for a realistic approach to invented teams in a particular era!

8/31/2020 8:27 pm  #137

Do you have any screenshots of your OOTP game?

8/31/2020 10:01 pm  #138

master BDoof (CodeG) wrote:

Thanks, though I just found out that ever since I updated my OS for the Fall Semester I am unable to run OOTP and several other games... So not only can I not create new leagues I cant continue my simulation that I have 1,600 hours in. So I'm going to have to figure out other ways to simulate now. I might try some older non-OOTP simulations I have.

Hmmm. One could say they weren't very bizarre

... Every time I see them mentioned im just going to make various references.
Anyway,
My thoughts on some of the new teams 

Firstly the Carp: it is so ugly.... I love it

Crescent City: I like the jersey design and colors a lot. Im not a huge fan of the logo. I can't really see if the D is supposed to look like a D and a C or a D and a duck. Unless im looking way to into things.

Ft. Hayakawa: I like the pullovers, logo, colors, and fonts. But the hockey style logo on the front is definitely a deal breaker for me.

Shinsakai 2: Looks very similar to a combination of old and modern Rangers, which I like for the Rangers. Maybe some sort of pinstripes or other piping patterns could differentiate it a little bit. But mostly a nitpick

Sol: Definitely my favorite look of the bunch, but doesn't seem to fit into what I think of when I think of 70s designs. 
I like the design of the away uniform. Hopefully they keep that unique placing and use it more often once alternates start being of use. 

So sorry about that, that happened to me a couple months ago. I really hope you get that figured out, it sucks to lose all that progress. As for Joestar, they actually have a player nicknamed "Bizarre" on their team, which is just the greatest of coincidences.

As for the teams:

Aorin: Thank you! That was my goal, haha.
Ducks: The logo is a D and a crescent, no C in it. No duck, either.
Heroes: Thank you! They're one of my favorite teams I've made.
Steamers: Yep, very Rangers. I'll see what I can do to iterate them, they've got a traditional look.
Orions: It's certainly a bit progressive, it's justified having an athletic company design them. They're pushing the edge a bit.

DireBear wrote:

Expansion teams look pretty good! Only critique I have is that on Shinsakai's away jersey, the wordmark on the front gets a bit lost on the powder blues imo. Maybe change it to white or red?

Now if only Joestar made some good decisions and go back to being good again....

I agree, I'll probably switch that out for white. Hopefully the Crusaders can bounce back, they had a good team but it's fallen apart for them.

ThisIsFine wrote:

Ducks: Has potential to be a classic.
Heroes: Nice name and colors, arrows in the logo remind me of subway.
Steamers: Basic.
Orions: Cool name and logo, both slightly ahead of their time.

Haha, it doesn't look a bit like Subway, huh. I was going for more Avengers, but Subway works, lol.

Steelman wrote:

Loving the Rangers-esque vibes of the Steamers! That powder blue is gorgeous, though I'm wondering if it needs to be a little softer to contrast with the Bay Blue.

As a Carp fan...I like the new design but I am appalled at the splotchy thingamajig. Burn that immediately. (I'm sure it will become some kind of weird collectors item)

The Orions look good but feel way too modern for '71, imo. It's probably the number font, honestly.

The Heroes are funky, kinda amateurish but professional at the same time. I like the look though.

The Ducks look great. That teal is beautiful.

Thanks, Steel! I'll touch up the Steamers, the powder and Bay Blue don't clash like I want them to. The Carp are... something else. It's, uh, a look, that's for sure. I actually do like how they changed, just not the spot thing. Sol is definitely ahead of its time, the number font was developed alongside the wordmark, so it's angular and space-like. Hayakawa is my favorite, they've got something different and unique. The Ducks are also good, the teal is pretty nice.

Stickman wrote:

Kings: Much better to see the crown on the shoulders of the road uniform rather than the strange double crown on the front of the jersey.  Still one of your best designs in the league!

Carp: [Homer screaming]

Okay, so in all seriousness, and being unbiased here, there is a lot I like here.  For a total redesign, the font does look good, (not as much as the original, but I'm judging without history in mind and keeping an open mind to a very ambitious designer).  To be fair, the fronts of these jerseys are really nice overall and if I had to change the primary color from blue to orange, this is a good way to do that.   But I can't not say it, the back design of the jerseys are horrid and need to be removed within 2 seasons because no fan base in that era, (or any) would have been pleased with that design.  I will say this, it is courageous in some sense to make this kind of a change to a classic design in a way that properly simulates the way a real life team might do the same thing to a timeless design.  I like that dedication to realism and tone-deafness to fans design desires.  And that is admirable in a way.  Not necessary a good idea design-wise, but it's good creativity and again it's realistic to expect teams to do this to classic looking teams.   I'd even be okay if the Carp keep changing and never going back to the "good ol' days". Okay, my final grade on this actually would be a B, lots of potential, especially if you get rid of that insidious backside design. 

Ducks:  I always feel teal is a color that didn't get popular until the 90s.  Then I always remember the Miami Dolphins existed in this time frame.  I like this team right now.  I have a feeling they'd be one of those teams that'll be "Nike"-fied to death down the road, but I like this design!

Heroes: From an artistic point of view, I love this team.   They absolutely feel like a 70's team and I have a feeling you have some plans in mind for this team!   Very excited to see what you do with the Heroes, great backstory too to explain why this team would have player names on the backs of the jerseys!  Excellent job!

Steamers:  They're basic, but that's a good thing sometimes.  Not every team takes chances with their designs, (most don't actually) and I like this team amongst the expansion teams for keeping a classic approach while the other teams are more creative.  Again, realism means a lot to me here in these stories and this is realistic.  While somewhat forgettable, that's fine here for the Steamers!

Orions:  I think this is your best work of the expanion teams!   Absolutely love this team!  Simple, yet striking.  That's all I need to say about every element this team has, from the color palette, to the logo.  Even the humongous numbers have more a look of personality than goofiness, (and yeah the numbers are huge on this team).   If I wasn't a loyal fan of the Carp, this would easily be my new favorite team!

Really good job here QCS!  While not everything works in the traditional sense, I feel these designs and redesigns are pretty faithful to a project that goes for a realistic approach to invented teams in a particular era! 

Thanks, Stick! 

Kings: Yep, they look much better with the sleeve crown.

Carp: Yeah, that's about the reaction I was expecting. Glad to get some in-depth feedback, here we go: I do like the script, it's a favorite of mine. Little personal bias, but what are you gonna do. The A logo in particular I think looks really good. The change from blue to orange, as misguided as it is, I think was done about as well as it could've been. I think the idea is there, but the execution certainly isn't and I'm sure the Aorin fans agree. I always think it's funny when a team screws up a redesign so badly (see: Rams, L.A.) and I thought my own take on it would be fun to do. The only reason the Carp are suffering is because I had the idea for the Carp pattern (and they were moving into a modern stadium, so modern jerseys made sense). Honestly this might become the basis for a permanent Aorin look, it's very classy ignoring the carp pattern. I've always tried to remember that not every team will be looking their best at all times, and teams shift around and experiment, I think it helps with creativity. 

Ducks: Yeah, it's always so strange to think about the Dolphins using teal and orange in the '60s. I think the teal that became popular in the '90s was duller (just compare the Hornets' teal to the Golden Seals') but in the '70s this was a very plausible choice. I wanted to spice up their design and decided sleeve numbers were just '70s enough to get away with. Long live experimentation!

Heroes: They are 100% my favorite expansion team right now, they feel like they'd be very popular with kids. If you couldn't tell, the Oakland A's served as a ton of inspiration for the more "out-there" ideas I had. I really like the reasoning for the NOBs as well, it just feels like a sports decision that could happen. 

Steamers: Very basic, I wanted to do more but couldn't. I'm thinking they might place the paddlewheel on the front Blue Jays-style, but that's still a few years off. Certainly a bit of touching up to do, but a solid look.

Orions: The process for this team is interesting, because I had the color scheme and name, but no clue what to do for a logo. I even had a wordmark drawn up, but I finally settled on a sun-style compass rose, and it turned out better than I could've imagined. The numbers are huuuuge but like you said I think it adds a touch of charm, they'll fit right in when the '80s roll around. 

Thank you so much for your feedback! I did a ton of research on CCSLC to look at era-appropriate MLB designs and I decided to take some of the wackier ones out for a spin. All-gold road jerseys, powder blues, pullover vests, it's all here. And just one last question... do you want me to update your sig?

ThisIsFine wrote:

Do you have any screenshots of your OOTP game?

Yeah, take a look!

I don't really bother to ensure that the designs are 1:1, just that the jersey colors are correct. If I have a hand-made script I upload it, but any other team I don't bother. I just recently went through and properly compressed all of my logos to be uploaded into the game (make sure they're square).

8/31/2020 10:08 pm  #139

Neat screenshots!

9/03/2020 11:57 am  #140

Sorry for being out of action for a few days! I’m just getting around to this! Here’s some of my comments…

Kings – They look just fine. No big changes!

Carp – They’re one of my favorite looks in the league as I love the light blue and orange! That A is amazing. I’m not sure if I’m a fan of the pattern on the back? I think it’s fine for one or two years before they change it if they need to. Kinda like the Diamondbacks with the gradient stuff recently.

Crescent City – That color is GOREGOUS! I know the teal wasn’t a thing in that time period but I think it WORKS. I actually had a similar color scheme for another team of mine in another league that I worked on a long ago. I just may bring that scheme back someday 😊

Heroes – Wow. That is a HOCKEY jersey on a baseball jersey! And being on a pullover… it works! The color scheme looks great. I’ve always hated or struggled with red, yellow, and black but you managed to pull it off!

Steamers – lol Texas Rangers. All good! I really like the blue on this, as it’s not the typical royal blue that we see on so many teams. The powder blues are fantastic.

Sol Orions – I’m beating myself up right now for not thinking of the Orions name in my Solar League! It’s a great set. Probably one of my favorites in the new looks so far.

Great job! Keep it up!

And yes, lol. I also upload my designs to OOTP but I don’t always try to keep it 1:1 because of the limitations the game have. Oh well.

Board footera