Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/20/2019 6:56 pm  #21

Re: An Alternate History of American Football: The NAFA

Steelman wrote:

Fantastic start to this series!

Are whites/lights essentially considered "home" uniforms? If so, I like that a lot.

New York -- I'm really digging that hue of blueish purple. Unique color that fits the era. Nice touch with the five stripes.

Cleveland -- My favorite identity in these early stages. I like the color scheme, the number font choice (what is that, btw), and unique striping. Did you experiment with the tree centered inside the C instead? Wondering if it would be cohesive that way.

Philadelphia -- I like the logo a lot. That could be a longtime classic. I'm not as much of a fan of the numbers. Might be interesting to have them be way oversized compared to everyone else since they're such a slim type face.

Montreal -- I wasn't expecting black and white for a team in Montreal but it kinda works. I hope they'll be one of those teams who change their colors every 5-10 years.

Toronto -- Simple and straightforward. I like the hockey-style Nats diagonal mark.

Nice work so far! Can't wait for more.

Thanks Steelman. I tried the tree in the middle of the C, but went with the tree to the right of it because I liked it a little better. Thanks for the compliment on Philly's logo, it's one of my favorites as well. 

I originally had Montreal in red and blue like most would, but after looking at the color schemes for the league as a whole I felt that there was too much red. So, I decided to go with a simple black and white color scheme for them, since their name was the least patriotic compared to Nationals or Americans. As of right now I'm planning on them adding a pale gold in the next few years.

Glad you're enjoying so far!

EDIT: I forgot about the white uniforms. They're not necessarily just for home games. By Tuesday each week, each home team must report to the league what uniform they will be wearing for that Sunday's game (clash/white). The league then reports this to the visiting team so they are aware of what uniform to travel with.

Last edited by DoctaC (5/20/2019 8:24 pm)

5/20/2019 8:18 pm  #22

Now here's the final team, the Connecticut Sailors, a second team from the CFA (Colonial Football Association). They were an above average (not dominant) team in the CFA, taking home 3 colonial cups in 7 appearances. The Sailors were an expansion team of the CFA in 1926, two years before the Philadelphia Americans joined the league. 2 of their 3 Colonial Cups were won over the Americans.

Logo and Uniforms:

The Sailors are the only team in the NAFA to use a logo that is not simply a letter or a design involving a letter. Their uniforms are also unique, as they color the forearms of the sleeves, and utilize an outline on their white jersey.

Along with the Connecticut Sailors, I have the first season simulated!

1948 NAFA Season Standings
1. New York Football Club: 9-0-1
2. Toronto Nationals: 7-2-1
3. Montreal Saints: 6-3-1
4. Philadelphia Americans: 5-5-0
5. Cleveland Lumberjacks: 2-7-1
6. Connecticut Sailors: 1-7-2

The first NAFA game was played between the Cleveland Lumberjacks and Philadelphia Americans at National Field in Philadelphia, PA on October 3, 1948 in front of around 21,350 screaming fans. The Americans defeated the visiting 'Jacks soundly, 20-6.

The New York Football Club dominated the NAFA Regular Season, finishing without a loss to their name. Their sole tie came in their final game of the year at the Montreal Saints. It was a 0-0 game in a snow storm. The NYFC was led by halfback Lester Riley, who led the league in both rushing yards (732) and rushing TD's (7). They also had a dominant defense, allowing just 8.1ppg.

Coming in second were the Toronto Nationals, who boasted the best offense this season. They were led by quarterback Calvin Schwartz and fullback Connor McBride, who combined for the most TD's of any NAFA backfield (21). Their Achilles' Heel, however, was the defense (in contrast to NYFC), which was 2nd-worst in yards allowed.

1948 Continental Bowl

NYFC struck early in the first Continental Bowl, when Lester Riley took an off-tackle handoff 28 yards for a touchdown on their first drive. This capped off an 8-play drive that took 6 minutes. Toronto's Earl Harvey took the ensuing kickoff back to the NYFC 48, but the Nationals' drive stalled and they were forced to punt. NYFC was then forced to punt on their next drive as the first quarter came to a close.

To open up the second, the Nationals marched down the field behind a spectacular set of passes by Calvin Schwartz, who went 4-5 for 57 yards on the drive. On 1st and goal from the 6, wingback Michael Chambers took the handoff left. He fought his way down to the 2 before NYFC linebacker John Morrison hit him, knocking the ball loose. it bounced back 14 yards to the 16 before Schwartz jumped on the ball, saving the Nationals' drive. They were then forced to take a short field goal, cutting the lead to 7-3. NYFC's next drive was a long one, as it took off over 8 minutes of game time. It was led by Lester Riley who repeatedly sliced through Toronto's defense. With the ball on the Toronto 23 with 5 seconds remaining in the half, kicker Ricky Barnett drilled a 30 yard field goal as the half expired. This made the score 10-3 in favor of NYFC going into halftime.

Toronto was forced to punt on the first drive of the third quarter, giving NYFC a great chance to put the game almost out of reach. Taking the ball at their own 3 yard line, they once again put together a tough, run-heavy 17 play drive that took 11 minutes. Rickey Barnett hit another field goal, this time from 26 yards out, to put NYFC ahead 13-3 with 2:02 remaining in the quarter. Toronto then ran 6 plays before the end of the third, advancing to their own 44.

To open up the fourth, Calvin Schwartz hit receiver Roy Jacobs on a crossing route for 31 yards. It then took them just 2 more plays from the NYFC 25 to score, as Schwartz scampered in off a broken play from 13 yards out with 13:53 remaining in the final quarter. The score then sat at 13-10, NYFC. On the next drive, New York once again took a ton of time off the clock, running the time down to 2:34 as they sat on Toronto's 13 yard line. What happened next would go down in NAFA history. Lester Riley took a pitch out towards the left sideline, weaving through defenders before meeting Toronto cornerback Tyler Ryan on the 4 yard line. Ryan laid a perfect hit on Riley, with his helmet on the ball, knocking it free. Toronto defensive tackle Willie Watson then picked up the ball, and went off running down the sideline. He was eventually caught by NYFC receiver Homer Morris at the NYFC 37 yard line with 2:17 remaining on the game clock. On the very next play, Calvin Schwartz hit Connor McBride out of the backfield. McBride broke four tackles en route to a 29 yard gain for Toronto, advancing to the 8 yard line. McBride then plowed his way into the endzone two plays later, putting Toronto up 17-13 with 1:14 left, after trailing 13-3 just 12 minutes prior. NYFC's prayers weren't answered, as they failed on 4th down at their own 28, giving the ball back to Toronto with neither team having any timeouts remaining. Calvin Schwartz kneeled, and the Toronto Nationals were hailed the first champions of the Continental Bowl.

Thanks for viewing! As always, C&C is encourage and appreciated. The seasons don't take very long to simulate as of right now, so I'll try to get them out as quick as possible over the next week or so. As of right now, a team looks like it may return to its former league after this year! And a new expansion franchise may take its place. For anyone wondering, I don't have true expansion (where the # of teams increases) planned for the next few years. The earliest would probably be in either 1954 or 1955.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that as of 1948 the 1st place team hosts the Continental Bowl. So in 1948 it was in New York.

Last edited by DoctaC (5/20/2019 9:49 pm)

5/20/2019 8:33 pm  #23

Congratulations Toronto! NYFC will be back next year for their revenge so be prepared to protect your throne. I love Connecticut's look! Although outlines may be a decade or so ahead of its time. Regarding expansion, will you be doing a council?

5/21/2019 1:54 am  #24

I expected NYFC to run the table. Congrats to Toronto for stealing their thunder!

I'd recommend adding team names to the scorecard, especially since the vintage helmets don't give much idea on which team is which yet.

I like Connecticut. I'm not sure if it's the outlines as much as the number font that feels too modern for me.

How are you simulating results?

I think I'll root for the Lumberjacks until a Pittsburgh team is established.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

5/21/2019 8:09 am  #25

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Congratulations Toronto! NYFC will be back next year for their revenge so be prepared to protect your throne. I love Connecticut's look! Although outlines may be a decade or so ahead of its time. Regarding expansion, will you be doing a council?

For this first expansion no council. I have the team created and the story planned out. I’ll be doing a council for the mid-1950s expansion though.

5/21/2019 8:11 am  #26

Steelman wrote:

I expected NYFC to run the table. Congrats to Toronto for stealing their thunder!

I'd recommend adding team names to the scorecard, especially since the vintage helmets don't give much idea on which team is which yet.

I like Connecticut. I'm not sure if it's the outlines as much as the number font that feels too modern for me.

How are you simulating results?

I think I'll root for the Lumberjacks until a Pittsburgh team is established.

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll have a more in-depth scorecard for 1949.

I’ll also post how I’m simulating the results on the original post when I get a chance.

5/21/2019 10:23 am  #27

DoctaC wrote:

I’ll also post how I’m simulating the results on the original post when I get a chance.

Just did this

5/21/2019 3:32 pm  #28

1949 NAFA Off-Season

The NAFA world was shocked when on March 30, 1949 the Connecticut Sailors announced they would be leaving the NAFA and returning to the CFA (Colonial Football Association). Sailors owner Jerry Clark claimed that his team couldn't compete with the teams of the larger markets, and that his team wasn't prepared logistics wise for the size of the NAFA (Connecticut's stadium, McDavid Stadium, only seats 7,320). Two days after the announcement, Commissioner Evans finally spoke. His news was also shocking. He announced that the NAFA would be welcoming their first original expansion team for the following season in order to replace the Connecticut Sailors. The team would be announced on June 1, 1949, and the expansion draft would occur on June 25, 1949.

On June 1, Commissioner Evans announced the new expansion team, the Baltimore Knights:

The Knights will play at Castle Field in downtown Baltimore. It has a capacity of 20,850.

Thanks for viewing. As always, C&C is appreciated. The 1949 season will be up later tonight.

5/21/2019 4:47 pm  #29

I love that Knights set, looks great!

5/21/2019 5:36 pm  #30

The Knights are sharp. That's a fantastic classic look.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

Board footera