Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/13/2020 9:11 pm  #11

Re: St. Louis City SC joins the MLS

Oh, interesting. In context, I like the STL crest WAY less, although it seems par for the course for an overall subpar league of logos. Logo takes from a (not) soccer fan:

Best of the Bunch:

Columbus - I think this one is one of the best in the league. Feels modern and classic at the same time.
LAFC - It's got a nice classic vintage look that I think hits the LA golden era vibe.
Portland - Solid logo that is very recognizable and has held up over the years.
DC United - I just like this one a lot. I spend a lot of time in DC and to me it just feels like DC.

Pretty Decent to Pretty Average:

Miami - I like it. Unique scheme, cool style. Miami flair.
Dallas - It’s super Texan, fits the bill and hits all the things Texans need.Toronto - It doesn’t excite me but I think it’s a decent design.
Orlando City - I like lions. Feels very Florida. I think it works. Great color scheme.
Minnesota - It’s creative but I don’t love it like most people.
Cincinnati - It’s not terrible but not great either.
Whitecaps - Unique design for the league. It works.
NYC - I think it’s simple and works. Not exciting but better than a lot of them.
Sporting KC - I dunno, I've appreciated the weird shape and style of this one.

Below Average to Pretty Meh:

Atlanta - Why bevels? Why such a drab color scheme?
Charlotte - Hasn’t grown on me. Still feel it’s incomplete and not inspired.
Seattle - Meh.
LA Galaxy - Gradients, bevels, and drop shadows…gross.
St Louis City - In context, I don’t like it as much.
Philly Union - Gradients…gross. Has potential for a redesign.
Austin - It doesn’t strike me as a professional sports franchise. Lots of potential but misses the mark.
Real Salt Lake - Super average to me.

Bad. Real Bad:

Quakes - Keep the shield. Delete the rest.
Dynamo - Looks like a great youth league logo.
Montreal - Gradients, bevels, and drop shadows…gross.
Colorado - Gradients, bevels, and drop shadows…gross.

Should Be Burned Immediately:

Red Bull NY - How is this still a pro logo in 2020?
Nashville - Looks like a casket, needs to be in a casket.
Chicago - Gang references aside, it's not a good look.
New England - Worst pro logo I've ever seen hands down.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

8/13/2020 9:32 pm  #12

Not a fan with the name. Or the crest either.
I expect the elements to fix what's wrong.

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

8/13/2020 9:47 pm  #13

Steelman wrote:

Oh, interesting. In context, I like the STL crest WAY less, although it seems par for the course for an overall subpar league of logos. Logo takes from a (not) soccer fan:

Best of the Bunch:

Columbus - I think this one is one of the best in the league. Feels modern and classic at the same time.
LAFC - It's got a nice classic vintage look that I think hits the LA golden era vibe.
Portland - Solid logo that is very recognizable and has held up over the years.
DC United - I just like this one a lot. I spend a lot of time in DC and to me it just feels like DC.

Pretty Decent to Pretty Average:

Miami - I like it. Unique scheme, cool style. Miami flair.
Dallas - It’s super Texan, fits the bill and hits all the things Texans need.Toronto - It doesn’t excite me but I think it’s a decent design.
Orlando City - I like lions. Feels very Florida. I think it works. Great color scheme.
Minnesota - It’s creative but I don’t love it like most people.
Cincinnati - It’s not terrible but not great either.
Whitecaps - Unique design for the league. It works.
NYC - I think it’s simple and works. Not exciting but better than a lot of them.
Sporting KC - I dunno, I've appreciated the weird shape and style of this one.

Below Average to Pretty Meh:

Atlanta - Why bevels? Why such a drab color scheme?
Charlotte - Hasn’t grown on me. Still feel it’s incomplete and not inspired.
Seattle - Meh.
LA Galaxy - Gradients, bevels, and drop shadows…gross.
St Louis City - In context, I don’t like it as much.
Philly Union - Gradients…gross. Has potential for a redesign.
Austin - It doesn’t strike me as a professional sports franchise. Lots of potential but misses the mark.
Real Salt Lake - Super average to me.

Bad. Real Bad:

Quakes - Keep the shield. Delete the rest.
Dynamo - Looks like a great youth league logo.
Montreal - Gradients, bevels, and drop shadows…gross.
Colorado - Gradients, bevels, and drop shadows…gross.

Should Be Burned Immediately:

Red Bull NY - How is this still a pro logo in 2020?
Nashville - Looks like a casket, needs to be in a casket.
Chicago - Gang references aside, it's not a good look.
New England - Worst pro logo I've ever seen hands down.

I amend my rankings to be Steelman's rankings. As I read through all of your comments I realized it was what I was thinking. I am moving my Philly Union down.  I hate the gradient as well but do like the logo otherwise. I like Charlotte's color scheme and the idea of a crown but I don't like the crown they used. I 100% agree with the Red Bulls.  Let's bring back the Metrostars. Nashville is disappointing because there is so much potential in that city.  New England's look is fun but can tell that in a league that is trying to be more serious and less 'Tampa Bay Mutiny-y" this logo has run its course. 

8/13/2020 9:50 pm  #14

Uhhhhh, there may be a problem for St. Louis CITY Soccer Club.

https://twitter.com/JeremyGRushing/status/1293998660389425153
(Fair warning, the tweet has expletives in it)
https://twitter.com/EatStHooligan/status/1294075223231406080

Exact same colors, font, outline/fill style, and MPLS City beat 'em to it by about 8 weeks. 

In fact, Minneapolis City has called them out on it:
https://twitter.com/mplscitysc/status/1294093724192997376

We might see changes quicker than expected for St. Louis CITY Soccer Club.

8/13/2020 10:07 pm  #15

EDIT: Guess you can't embed tweets

Last edited by sportsfan7 (8/13/2020 10:08 pm)

8/13/2020 10:14 pm  #16

I want the Revs to change the logo, it absolutely is dated. I wish they'd do a Crew-esque revamp of the identity, They're about to be hopefully doing some special stuff with Arena at the helm, so I want them to look at their best.

8/13/2020 11:02 pm  #17

Looking back on my post, I'll have to admit I may have been a touch too harsh on this logo.  Again, I'm hoping I didn't go too far and upset anyone with my opinions on the logo.  Still personally think it's a bad logo, but if you like it, great!  

As far as ranking logos, I'll just do my top 5 best and worst.

Best:
1. Portland Timbers: One of just 2 logos that doesn't need to tell you which team it is.  Unlike the other team, this team's crest is a classic and it'll stand the test of time.
2.  Minnesota Loons: Even with the goofy looking MNUFC lettering, this is an absolute beauty.  So simple and elegant, take the letters out and this easily would have been #1 for me.  How a gray team pulls this off is impressive!
3. Real Salt Lake: I know the team is basically Real Madrid in American form, but that logo is still an excellent soccer logo. 
4.  FC Dallas: Even if you took the wording out, this is so obviously Texan that you'd probably guess which team this logo belongs to.  Longhorn, Texas colors, Lone Star.  This is still pretty simple and still stylish.
5. Columbus Crew: This has a lot going on, yet keeps all of those elements under control.  

Worst
1. Chicago Fire: No brainer.  Even without the gang symbol, this wasn't a good looking logo, especially compared to their last logo.  The gang symbol only ensures that this is the worst logo in all of professional sports, possibly of all time just due to the stupidity of overlooking your city's biggest street gang's symbol, (in a city that has been in the news for years now for it's remarkable amount of violent crime in recent years).   I know they don't support them, but it frankly that crown looks like an endorsement for the Latin Kings, a look no professional sports team should ever let happen.
2. New England Revolution: The only team besides Portland that doesn't tell you who they are in the logo.  They really should have though, (some versions of the logo do tell you the team name, but the main logo does not).  If I didn't know better, I'd have thought this was just a nice design that belonged on a generic soccer tee shirt you might find at a yard sale, (something like #1 Soccer Fan or maybe Team USA 1996), not something you'd expect a professional sports team to have as their main logo in 2020.  #2 only because it doesn't even look like a team's logo.
3. New York Red Bulls: I don't mind the corporate sponsorship, (that's actually pretty common in some parts of the world), but this logo reads Red Bull New York.... that's just unacceptable.  I know they wanted to use the Red Bull logo, but they could have at least made this look grammatically correct before releasing this.  
4. Nashville SC: I guess those lines by the N are supposed to be sound waves....a Music City reference I'd assume.  Color me surprised because I never would have guessed that was what that was.   I ripped on STLCSC for being too ambiguous, but this logo is even worse about it.   It's also not appealing at all.
5. St. Louis City SC: I'm being a little nicer about this one, but more because I forgot how low the bar could be for MLS logos.  See my previous comments for more detail.

Last edited by Stickman (8/13/2020 11:05 pm)

8/13/2020 11:05 pm  #18

I wonder how many of these are unpopular. My rankings are from A to F, school style, with A being the best.

A: Columbus Crew, Atlanta United, NYCFC, LAFC, FC Dallas, Inter Miami, Orlando City
B: Portland Timbers, Philadelphia Union, Austin FC, Charlotte FC, Red Bull New York, FC Cincy
C: Sporting KC, Toronto FC, Quakes FC, DC United, Minnesota United
D: Vancouver Whitecaps, Colorado Rapids, Montreal Impact, Seattle Sounders, Real Salt Lake, LA Galaxy
F: New England Revolution, Chicago Fire, STLCSC, Houston Dynamo, Nashville FC

All in all though, outside of maybe 8 teams, I wouldn't change a thing, the MLS is probably one of the better looking leagues in the US, but man when they hit rock bottom they hit it hard (Fire, Nashville, and NE, I'm looking at you)

Board footera