Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/28/2020 10:53 pm  #481

Re: Torland Hockey League: THL 2.0

I'll throw my hat in the ring on the Bear vs Pizza Slice, while I think they could work together, I do think the Bear logo is the better logo, although the Pizza Slice has some sort of throwback charm that I don't think I've seen someone capture in a series ever, so props to you Steel on that, but yeah the Bear is better

5/29/2020 3:29 am  #482

1979 UHA OFFSEASON 

• Wolves fold. Bart Alcorn releases all players, except D Dino Reichert and F Eddie Rockwell who still had remaining years on their contracts. Bancana buys out Reichert's contract and Prestonburg buys out Rockwell's contract.
  • Tyson Sallee signs with Bancana, uniting with nephew Bobby Jr.
  • Gary Wiz signs with Vensessor for one final season.
  • Swans coach Al Weatherford retires for the second time.
  • Swans fire Burt Pollack and hire Roger Harmon as head coach with former Wolves' coach Wayne Hooper as assistant.
  • League removes divisions, 6 remaining teams will compete in a single conference.

1979 THL OFFSEASON

Commissioner Hatch announced that two expansion franchises had been granted for entrance into the THL for the 1979 season. One to Larry Lamb for a team in Abrieden and one to Andrew Conti for a team in Quebel. Hatch hinted that the Abrieden team was essentially a blatant step into UHA territory to take a stab at further dividing their sinking profit margins, leading to speculation that Hatch was planning a coup to take over the failing UHA operations. Hatch wouldn't confirm or deny, only stating that he was looking toward broadening the scope of the THL throughout Torland. A Tilly Kasera report suggested that Hatch had already started legal proceedings for the event of a potential buyout though, but Hatch had no comment and UHA's president Barry Boyle flat out denied it, instead hotly contesting that the UHA would be buying out some THL franchises. Some pundits were concerned that the Abrieden team was simply a Trojan Horse with no chance of success and the Quebel team seemed like an afterthought in the expansion process, as Hatch preferred bringing in two teams instead of one. Conti is an excellent businessman though with plenty of hockey knowledge and is intent on crafting a tough small-market team in the Alrene Isles.

Expansion Teams

1979 Abrieden Bucks

Abrieden (uh-BRY-den) is a large sprawling city attached to the Bancana metropolitan area. See the description below of the metro area. Abrieden has similarities to Anaheim, San Jose, Houston and more suburban-sprawl oriented cities. Owner Larry Lamb grew up in the rough side of Abrieden and climbed his way up into the white collar ranks. He's a visionary businessman known for unorthodox marketing methods and out-of-the-box thinking. He helped finance the new Clarenrane Arena near the airport as a middle-ground location between the rich and poor. The team is named after his campaign that cleaned up the Clarenrane neighborhood of drugs and homelessness, which was called "Buck the Trend" and helped sell out the arena before the team even existed. Lamb's tireless work in assisting the poor has been well noted and was the primary selling point for Hatch to choose his bid. Lamb knows his team is a pawn in a bigger game between Hatch and the UHA but he's determined to make it succeed and his focused on digging into a unique brand to make the team stand out.

Lamb decided to craft a unique, if slightly odd, identity to compete in the metro area and establish their own brand of slightly-deranged wacky craziness. After a color scheme of navy and a mustard gold along with Torland cream was chosen, a logo of a stylized A with antlers sporting a vintage goalie mask on an indented roundel was created. The indented roundel was dubbed the "Pancake" and Lamb immediately expanded the motif to include deli carts serving pancakes and maple syrup around the stadium. During an exhibition game, a fan wearing antlers tossed a pancake on the ice before the third period and it caught on and became known as the "Pancake Toss."

The uniforms are fairly traditional, sporting two-color 3-line striping throughout and utilizing a heavily-serifed number face in the Western tradition. The home set goes for an all navy look. The away set is in cream and sports a navy shoulder yoke and inverted striping. Both sets have a gold collar. The uniforms are supplied by the league, though it's rumored that Lamb will sign a contract with Zeal.

Bancana-Abrieden Metropolitan Area

Bancana is a huge city (2nd largest in Torland) which began originally as a trading post for gold prospectors in the hills west of the city. With comparisons to LA and San Fran, Bancana began to develop with a boom in TV and film, making it the defacto center for burgeoning visual media. The city is overcrowded from overpopulation before adequate planning but is constantly growing with businesses establishing their western headquarters in the area with the warmer climate. Nearby neighbor is Abrieden, an area with extremes. The southern side of the city is well-to-do old money along with the prestigious Abrieden University, and the northern end of town is poor and battles crime and poverty. The whole metropolitan picture creates a mesh of severely divided sectors and isolated neighborhoods. Especially the big three sectors with the rivers providing natural lines (known colloquially as West Ban, East Ban, and Abrieden) are constantly fighting each other on municipal and political levels. For all the infighting, the riverfronts and shorelines are known to be particularly beautiful. And with the gold-gleaming hills to the west, sunsets are especially iconic, lending to Bancana's nickname of the "Gold City." Abrieden is known as the "City of Fortitude" for the warship dock where many of Torland's best were built and manned before the city morphed away from maritime pursuits after World War II. Abrieden University is a top school both academically and athletically in Torland, with the Bulldogs being especially dominate in American football.

1979 Quebel Crusaders

Quebel (CUE-bel, or CUE-bull) is a small city on the northeastern side of Alrene Island and the capitol of the Alrene Isles. With comparisons to Portland, ME, Providence, Edinburgh, Scotland, and Oslo, Norway, the city is very old and traditional with a strong culture of hard work and cultural pride. Owner Andrew Conti is from Amnau Bay but calls Quebel home and has degrees in law and business but also runs several fishing boat companies. Conti is also involved in local politics and has served in a variety of committees and elected positions, once even filling in as mayor for a brief time period. Most people still refer to him as the Mayor. The team nickname comes from a statue outside of the state hall which depicts a medieval crusader rushing into battle. Old tradition tells the story of a wayward crusader returning home who boarded the wrong ship and ended up on the island and decided to settle it instead. Nobody is quite sure if it's true but the crusader imagery has permeated the city and even the architecture learns toward castle towers and gates. Knowing that he can't compete with nearby Port Alrene, Conti aims to establish a tough, hard-hitting team that opposing teams will fear to play. He believes that the city has a real chance to be a very active and competitive small-market team.

The logo takes on a crusader helmet that is combined with a hockey stick sword to form a loose Q shape. A color scheme of medium blue and red is used. The uniforms are somewhat simple, with notable features being the striping at the end of the sleeves, outlined yokes and numbers, thick hem striping, and large stripes on the socks. The Crusaders are also supplied by the THL but are in preliminary talks with Apex Hockey. 

Up next: THL offseason continues

Editor's Note: Because I know somebody will mention it, yes, Friday the 13th didn't come out until 1980. And yes, it wasn't until later I realized I must have subconsciously connected Quebel with Quebec, so there are definitely some color similarities there. However, I'd definitely appreciated some C&C on these!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

5/29/2020 6:09 am  #483

Bucks: Well, this definitely is a unique team for sure!  Larry Lamb sounds like he'll be an entertaining owner to say the least!  Honestly, with the Bucks competing against the Bancana Kings for supremacy of the market, this embracing of their weirdness isn't a terrible strategy.  The fans certainly have welcomed the weird, given the pancake throwing, finally giving us the THL's version of the octopus throwing that Red Wings fans do, (kind of a waste of good food, IMO). 

As for the logo design, I like it!  I definitely believe this is the strangest logo this series has brought us, but it definitely fits a "80's Horror Movie" feel.  The "pancake" yellow circle could be a full moon, the buck with his "Jason" mask being the psycho killer.   And, I don't know if this was intentional or not, the A in the back.  It looks normal at first, but then I saw the buck's antlers with it.  Now I see the A having "evil hands", which I can't unsee anymore.  Yet, even THAT fits the "80's Horror Movie" style that this team has!   This team will definitely be one to watch!

Crusaders: Hey, the Nordiques found a way to get into the THL!  Lol, jk.  Quebel has a fun backstory to it, which was a nice read.  As they are a small market team, it'll be interesting to see if the Crusaders can survive against all the big boys of the THL.  Their hard hitting strategy is a good one to start.  The uniform is very nice, logo's fine, although I never saw the Q until you mentioned it in their description.  Still having a hard time seeing it, and since the hockey stick is being used, I'm not sure there's a way to get this to ever more clearly be a Q.  IMO, this team might have to abandon that plan down the road, which wouldn't be too bad, as the Crusader theme certainly seems like one that could have several design possibilities!

Overall, really good job as always with the jerseys!  Definitely got some interesting teams added to the fold!  Speaking of folding, it appears my Wolves finally folded in the UHA.  It was bound to happen eventually, but I still remember them fondly for their ineptitude! 

5/29/2020 9:13 am  #484

I really like the Quebel look. I was waiting to hear why the stick of the hockey stick was an obelisk. And, like Stickman, I didn't see the "Q" in the logo until it was pointed out, and even then, it's tough to see.

As far as Abrieden, I really like the look. I think with the "A" behind the mask/antlers, it's a little cluttered. I can see them having an OG Mighty Ducks style mask with antlers in their future.

All in all, two good looks.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

5/29/2020 10:25 am  #485

Ah, yes. Oslo, Sweden, a personal favorite spot of mine. All kidding aside, some nice looks here. The Pancake Toss is becoming a thing now, so now I know what Goro Akechi’s least favorite team is!

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

5/29/2020 10:51 am  #486

ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth wrote:

Ah, yes. Oslo, Sweden, a personal favorite spot of mine.

Oof, that's what I get for late night writing and editing. Haha. Thanks for catching that, fixed!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

5/29/2020 11:03 am  #487

Both teams look amazing! The Bucks are now my second favorite team now, behind Kirlow

5/29/2020 12:21 pm  #488

Quebel gonna relocate to Colrada.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

5/29/2020 2:45 pm  #489

Glad to see Abrieden got a team! It looks good, I'd like to see the logo decluttered a bit, however. Quebel also looks great! I hope both teams find some success. Not surprised to see the Wolves fold, however.

5/29/2020 4:46 pm  #490

Both the Bucks and Crusaders look great, love the logo for Abrieden and the colors for Quebel

Board footera