Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/27/2020 2:13 pm  #421

Re: National Dashball League

Thanks everybody for your compliments! I do want to talk about what little criticism y'all did have. First, with the primary logo and the weird border: I wanted to 1) keep the white and the pastel aurora colors separate as much as possible and 2) not confine the northern lights stripe within the circle. Interrupting the border felt like a good way to accomplish both of those things, though I can definitely see why it might rub some people the wrong way. I like Steelman's suggestion of extending the shape more than I like just closing the circle and calling it a day. As for the wordmark, I had a lot of trouble getting the line weights and spacings right. I think I redid it from scratch three or four times before landing on the final version. I did mock up Dr. P's gradient suggestion, and I do like it, but I don't think it fits in with the rest of the brand as well. Here are the variations alongside the originals:

The one thing that surprised me that people seemed to not like was the script being at center court. Is there any particular reason behind that? Personally, I think any logo would look good there, but a script seemed more exciting than a roundel to me.

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

10/27/2020 2:15 pm  #422

ItDoesntMatter wrote:

Thanks everybody for your compliments! I do want to talk about what little criticism y'all did have. First, with the primary logo and the weird border: I wanted to 1) keep the white and the pastel aurora colors separate as much as possible and 2) not confine the northern lights stripe within the circle. Interrupting the border felt like a good way to accomplish both of those things, though I can definitely see why it might rub some people the wrong way. I like Steelman's suggestion of extending the shape more than I like just closing the circle and calling it a day. As for the wordmark, I had a lot of trouble getting the line weights and spacings right. I think I redid it from scratch three or four times before landing on the final version. I did mock up Dr. P's gradient suggestion, and I do like it, but I don't think it fits in with the rest of the brand as well. Here are the variations alongside the originals:

The one thing that surprised me that people seemed to not like was the script being at center court. Is there any particular reason behind that? Personally, I think any logo would look good there, but a script seemed more exciting than a roundel to me.

For me, the roundel logo looks natural at the center court, and I thought the secondary more so than the primary because it looks the same "upside down".

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

10/27/2020 2:24 pm  #423

I like the script variation, and i think the secondary logo would work really well at center court.

Last edited by ThisIsFine (10/27/2020 2:25 pm)

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

10/27/2020 2:56 pm  #424

I'm really digging the gradient script

10/27/2020 2:57 pm  #425

I agree, the secondary "Captain Minnesota" logo would look good at center court because it's the same no matter what angle you view it at. I love the script variation, but I think keeping both around would be fine.

10/27/2020 4:27 pm  #426

Holy Jesus these two teams look absolutely fantastic!

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

10/27/2020 6:17 pm  #427

Seeing the three logo variations, I like the third one with the extensions. It seems the most appealing to me and puts the focus on the fun stripes rather than the roundel.

I do like the gradient script too, but not better than the first one. I think both can work together depending on the application.

I personally like the script for center court but I see the argument for the secondary logo as it’s more versatile there.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

10/27/2020 6:19 pm  #428

Great job with the Minnesota branding! Bravo!

10/27/2020 7:11 pm  #429

I actually really like Steels suggestion and how that turned out, gives it a more unique shape, that's my favorite out of the three (although you can't really go wrong with any of them.) As for the new script, I'll stand by what I said, I think depending on the size of it and how far away you are, it will bleed too much. I really like how my suggestion came out, but I'd understand if you didn't want to use it.
I'll agree with the others on the secondary replacing the script at center court too, I think it would work really well.

10/28/2020 10:34 pm  #430

So after deliberating about it for a while, I've decided to go forward with Steel's version of the logo. I think it keeps the same elements that I was going for but gives it more character. I've also really come around to Dr. P's script too. I'm gonna stick with the original for now, mostly because I think it works better with the rest of the brand, but I can almost guarantee that the gradient version will pop up again down the line. I'm also going to keep the court the way it is for the time being, but again, I'll definitely be exploring more options in the future. Anyway, here are the new logos and uniforms (the court and sig haven't changed):

Last edited by ItDoesntMatter (10/28/2020 11:30 pm)

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

Board footera