Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/25/2020 9:58 pm  #411

Re: National Dashball League

For Minnesota, a couple of people suggested Northern Lights - I think Burmy87 was the first (again) - and I loved the idea of using the northern lights as the basis for an identity, but I think “Minnesota Northern Lights” is a bit of a mouthful (yeah, I know, Los Angeles Sabertooths, I get it). Thehealthiestscratch suggested “the Lights of Minnesota,” and while I don’t want to go a Guardians of Cincinnati route here, I do think I can get away with just using Lights in this context. As such, presenting the Minnesota Lights:

The primary logo is pretty simple, but the main feature is of course the aurora borealis in the center. Well, not quite in the center; it’s a bit offset so the north star can fit in there to make things feel more interesting. The aurora is comprised of three overlapping stripes in green, blue, and purple, which are arranged in an S shape. The secondary logo is a simpler roundel with the north star surrounded by three rings (it looks kind of Captain America to me). The wordmark, meanwhile, is an aurora-y cursive using the three colors.

The main element of the uniforms, naturally, is more aurora. The S curves around the manufacturer’s mark, providing a perfect place for the number. “Minnesota” is placed below it so that the uniform doesn’t look super empty from the chest down. On the white away uniform, there’s massive color blocking so that the aurora can exist on the navy blue background. The tertiary uniform is a navy-to-mint gradient, trying to show a simplified version of what aurora borealis actually looks like.

The script makes it to center court, since that was something I hadn’t done yet and thought would be cool. There’s a little bit of aurora striping in the end zone, but apart from that, it’s all pretty standard stuff.

As always, here’s a sig for anyone who wants to rep the Lights:

There’s a lot of love for Minnesota on these boards, and I hope this brand can live up to that. C&C appreciated!

Last edited by ItDoesntMatter (10/26/2020 11:46 am)

10/25/2020 9:59 pm  #412

Daaamn Minnesota looking sweet.

10/25/2020 10:14 pm  #413

Wow. That might be the second best look in the league behind the magma. Really good job on this one IDM!

10/25/2020 10:37 pm  #414

That's an amazing looking brand. Every new look tops the one before it it feels like. That said, it's got 2 issues. I'm not sure why the outer white outline cuts off on the roundel. I think it should continue to go all the way around, it should act as like a border, if that makes sense. My other tweak is that the script gets really busy from a distance with all the little lines. What you could do instead is a gradient maybe, going from green to blue to pink from left to right. But I think just trying to find a way to simplify that logo us all it needs. Outside of that,  the rest is phenomenal. The primary and secondary are maybe my favorite in the league, the colors are gorgeous, the uniforms are unique and clever, I love how you've incorporated the 3 lines and star into the chest stripe and pants stripe. Good work! I might even swap my allegiance.

10/25/2020 10:51 pm  #415

Wow, such a creative brand. I think you did an excellent job with this one.

I'm gonna agree and disagree with DP. I agree on the roundel...however, what if you extended the S shape outward a bit so it extended past the roundel more, then add the border to that? I think it would match the motif you've got on the uniforms and make a more unique looking roundel.

I personally like the script, though it does bleed from a distance but not the general shape so I think it works. I love the pant stripes, the secondary logo, the uniforms, pretty much all of it.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

10/26/2020 8:13 am  #416

Minnesota looks absolutely phenomenal. I love any northern lights theme for a team and you've pulled it off to perfection here. I'll echo what DP and Steel said about the white border not cutting off, but I'll agree that the wordmark is just fine as it is. One possible tweak in the future is replacing the script at the center of the court with that nice logo below it. Great work!

10/26/2020 1:33 pm  #417

Holy sh*t you nailed Minnesota

My one and only critique would be swapping the script for the primary logo at center court, but that is a really minor nitpick. You really knocked it out of the park with this one and I can't wait to see us end the Redback dynasty

Go Lights!

10/26/2020 1:40 pm  #418

Section30 wrote:

Holy sh*t you nailed Minnesota

My one and only critique would be swapping the script for the primary logo at center court, but that is a really minor nitpick. You really knocked it out of the park with this one and I can't wait to see us end the Redback dynasty

Go Lights!

The secondary would also look really good at center court. I don't know if the script works as intended for the center court though.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

10/26/2020 2:41 pm  #419

Amazing work on the Minnesota Lights.

10/26/2020 7:28 pm  #420

I'd like to place an order for that away jersey please and thank you. 

Board footera