Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/27/2020 4:36 pm  #131

Re: The United Leagues of Baseball - First LA Team!

QCS wrote:

The Packers are gorgeous! The interlocking CP is great and the powder blue jersey works surprisingly well with the navy color scheme. 

​I'm glad you like them! That CP logo is something I've had forever but could never fit into anything, I'm glad I finally found something for it.

RightGuard wrote:

I think my favorite so far is Louisville, but I'll have to wait and see if that holds water.

Good choice! Louisville is one of my favorites too!

Stickman wrote:

Milwaukee Millers: Not gonna lie, I'm sort of curious to see what that brick, teal, and black uniform would have looked like, lol!  That had to have been a disaster.  As for the current uniform, I like the home set a lot!  I even enjoy the "outdated" Sawmill logo, in fact I think it's one of my top 3 favorites so far!   I'll admit to not being the biggest fan of the upward diagonal "Millers" wordmark, but as I'm pretty sure teams in real life do this sometimes too, I'd chalk that up more to my personal tastes than there being anything wrong with it.  Overall, pretty solid with a great home set!

Chicago Packers: Definitely seems like this fan-base has had it rough.  Good thing that got those 2 Super Series Championships in the 70's, otherwise they'd have to be considered your Chicago Cubs of the ULB!   Overall, this is a pretty safe uniform, nothing too flashy at all, which is normal for some franchises.  It looks good and I especially like the powder blue alternate!  That color and navy really do always work out so well together.  

Great job on these!

Well if i ever get to making some throwbacks, I'll totally keep that in mind! As for the current outfit, I tried to make a set that I could see being realistic but a bit nontraditional, so don't worry about it, it's not my cup of tea either.
I'm glad the Chicago Fauxback uniforms went over well, I originally had a Padres-esque navy alt, but it came out lifeless (which is much like that navy and white era of the Padres was like) so I swapped to the powder.

Thanks for the feedback! The Rovers are up next! It's a bit more out there but hopefully it goes over well.

Team #9: New York Rovers
Founded: 1893
Nicknames: “Italians”
Rivals: New York City Magpies, Brooklyn Dutch Lions 

ULBML: Remparts de Montréal, Binghamton Victorians, Norwich Narwhals 

Our final team that calls the Big Apple home are the New York Rovers. The Rovers are the least successful of the three New York teams, but by no means does that mean they aren’t successful. In a league that's full of constantly talented teams, the Rovers have done well. While they have only 10 Northeastern League titles to their name and only 4 Super Series pennants hanging at their stadium, they, like many other teams, have been silently successful. With their best era stretching from the late sixties into the early eighties. In recent times however, the team’s slowed down and had their worst decade since the 50’s.
Their identity and name are heavily connected. The Rovers name has several apparent origins, but the most accepted one is that the name came after the original New York Baseball Club, a traveling club, was said to travel all across the country to face off against the greatest opponents they could find. But some also think the name came after that same original team was supposedly founded by a group of Italian immigrants. That second theory is also seemingly supported by the team’s identity. A red, green and black color scheme is prominent in the uniforms, and the logo prominently features an Italian flag behind the Rovers’ script and the Empire State building. The uniforms are much like each of the other NYC teams. A simple black script is found on the home uniform and a black wordmark is found on the away. Green socks and caps are paired with each uniform. Much like the Lions and Magpies, the Rovers have no alt.

C&C Appreciated!

Last edited by MyTeamIsDr.Pepper (7/05/2020 1:56 pm)

6/27/2020 4:53 pm  #132

OK, the Rovers might be my new favorite look. On the topic, which boroughs are the Rovers and Magpies in? Same for where the Chicago and Los Angeles teams play.

6/28/2020 7:51 pm  #133

RightGuard wrote:

OK, the Rovers might be my new favorite look. On the topic, which boroughs are the Rovers and Magpies in? Same for where the Chicago and Los Angeles teams play.

The Lions play in Brooklyn, Magpies in the Bronx, and the Rovers play in Manhattan
The Grizzlies and Dons both play in LA, but the Grizzlies have spent a lot of time in Anaheim. 
Packers play in southern Chicago, while the Sox play in the north.
I'm glad you like the Rovers!

6/29/2020 6:02 pm  #134

Here's the next team!

Team #12:
Los Angeles Grizzlies
League: Western
Founded: 1969
Nicknames: “The Grizz”
Rivals: Los Angeles Dons, San Francisco Seals 

ULBML: El Paso Diablos, Fresno Gold Rush, Stockton Admirals 

The first western team to be unveiled are the Grizz! The Grizzlies were the second team to play in the LA area. Although they were founded in LA, the Grizzlies played almost half their seasons in Anaheim from 1971-1989 in Anaheim before moving back to LA proper. The Grizzlies were typically not that successful, but they’ve had two eras that stand out. The 70’s and the 90’s. The 70’s were the teams very early success, as a very young team they came out on top of the weaker Western League that had really only had 2 good teams, the Captains and Dons. They would fail to win any Super Series, but they collected 2 of their 7 Western League pennants then. The team would fall back to mediocrity until the 90’s, when after moving back to LA the team became one of the best in the ULB. They won 4 Western titles and 2 Super Series titles from 1991-1994. The team would then fall back down and hit rock bottom in the mid 2000’s. Recently however they’ve sprung back and are a pretty good team and postseason contender, capturing one more Western League pennant in 2013.
Their identity has had 3 main phases. The Anaheim era, the 90’s era, and the modern era. The original Anaheim era had a classic baseball look, sporting red and white, along with a script on the home uniform. With the move back to LA saw the start of the 90’s era, where the team adopted a whole new look in with the times. A red and yellow look, similar to that of today, took over, a red alternate was added, the script was dropped and the cap logo changed. That look was tweaked in the mid to late 2000’s to the modern set. The current set consists of a red cap with a yellow brim, with a modern LA monogram cap logo, a pair of arched wordmarks found on the home and road and a red alternate.

C&C Appreciated!

Last edited by MyTeamIsDr.Pepper (7/05/2020 2:00 pm)

6/29/2020 11:27 pm  #135

Grrizzlies look really good, only thing I don't agree with/like is the number font as the 5 looks more like an 8, but other than that another fantastic design!

8-0 In The NBA Bubble

6/30/2020 6:05 am  #136

New York Rovers: This is a pretty interesting looking team!  Red, Green, White, and Black is a color scheme I don't recall seeing before in North American sports, and I like it a lot!  Definitely has a very strong Italian theme to it.  My only major critique is the numbers on the back being green and not matching black like the word mark on the front of the jersey.  I think this was mentioned back in the Detroit Chiefs reveal, but it almost looks like they don't belong on the same uniform.  I don't think having the numbers be black would take anything away from the look, which otherwise is an extremely crisp and classy look, (not easy to do with white and 3 other colors).

Los Angeles Grizzlies: I definitely get a USC vibe from the color scheme!  I like this one, the "LA" on the hat does look a little odd, but it's unique, can't think of too many teams that use diagonal letters, (but that could be the lack of coffee talking this morning).  The pointy bits pointing out the letters and numbers certainly catches the eye, although a ReesDaBeast11 says, the points can make the 5 look like an 8, and also G's look like 6's, (both the player's name on the back of the jersey and the main logo's word mark).   Perhaps a subtle change to the number font could allow you to keep the pointy bits though, as that is a nice feature!  Aside from that though, another really good job here!

7/05/2020 2:03 pm  #137

Stickman wrote:

New York Rovers: This is a pretty interesting looking team!  Red, Green, White, and Black is a color scheme I don't recall seeing before in North American sports, and I like it a lot!  Definitely has a very strong Italian theme to it.  My only major critique is the numbers on the back being green and not matching black like the word mark on the front of the jersey.  I think this was mentioned back in the Detroit Chiefs reveal, but it almost looks like they don't belong on the same uniform.  I don't think having the numbers be black would take anything away from the look, which otherwise is an extremely crisp and classy look, (not easy to do with white and 3 other colors).

Los Angeles Grizzlies: I definitely get a USC vibe from the color scheme!  I like this one, the "LA" on the hat does look a little odd, but it's unique, can't think of too many teams that use diagonal letters, (but that could be the lack of coffee talking this morning).  The pointy bits pointing out the letters and numbers certainly catches the eye, although a ReesDaBeast11 says, the points can make the 5 look like an 8, and also G's look like 6's, (both the player's name on the back of the jersey and the main logo's word mark).   Perhaps a subtle change to the number font could allow you to keep the pointy bits though, as that is a nice feature!  Aside from that though, another really good job here!

Thanks for the feedback. I updated the Rovers to have black numbers, and adjusted the G and 5 on LA's font.

8/28/2020 10:29 am  #138

This was cool! Why has this been in the basement for so long? I can't wait to see the rest of the teams and the history of the league as well! (Trying to be patient here.)

Last edited by Sevsdast (8/28/2020 10:29 am)

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

Board footera