Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/11/2020 5:21 pm  #11

Re: Your worst moments as a sports fan

MLB: 1996 Atlanta Braves blowing a 2-0 World Series lead against the New York Yankees after winning the first two in New York.  Had we closed that series out, who knows?  Maybe the Braves would have had that dynasty run that the Yankees enjoyed in the late 90s.  Also, nearly every 90's post-season when we suddenly forgot to show up.

NFL: The 3 consecutive NFC championship losses that the Philadelphia Eagles experienced.  The worst by far, (and my overall worst sports memory ever) was the 2003 NFC Championship game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on the final game of Veteran Stadium's life.....freaking Ronde Barber, man!

MMA: Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar.  I had recently become a MMA fan, and Randy Couture was one of my favorites right out the gate. A 40 something year old guy somehow the UFC Heavyweight Champion despite his age and smaller size.  Enter Brock Lesnar, former pro wrestler that somehow got a title fight with a 2-1 record.  Watching him dismantle Couture sucked big time.

Personal:  While I know this is about moments as a sports fan, I felt that I had to include my own heartbreak as an "athlete".  After all, we are our own biggest fans in sports, right?  This is about my final baseball game in Little League.  I already was terrible at baseball (yep, I was that kid you'd put in the outfield when he wasn't benched).  Out team actually won the city championship that year, but all I've ever remembered was the last out we needed to get. 

I had been made fun of all year long by the whole team, (never was the most popular guy, small wonder) and the crappy experience actually made me quit baseball after this game, and I'm sure it's why baseball is no longer my favorite sport (it sure was when I was young though!).  But with one out to go, I just wanted one chance to make a nice play to end my baseball run.  One chance to make up for all the crud I'd been put through.  One chance to finally be the sports hero I always envisioned myself someday being.

Somehow, the batter hit a fly ball right to me.  This was it!  I ran up, held up my glove in anticipation.  Buuuuuut, the ball hit off my glove, rolled to the ground, and I had missed my chance to be the hero despite it literally being the most routine fly ball ever.  I was so upset that I literally prayed to God that I'd get another chance to make it up.  Just. One. More. Chance.   The next batter went to the plate.  Unbelievably, he ALSO hit a fly ball almost right to me!  Holy crap!  I can't believe that actually worked!  I run right up to where I needed to be, held up my glove....... and watched it hit right off the glove and onto the ground the EXACT same way the previous ball did...............and they say lightning doesn't strike twice.

Luckily, we got the next batter out (by strikeout), but I'll never, ever, forget the one chance I had to be the hero......and failed miserably.  So, yeah, that has to be the worst moment for me as a sports fan/athlete.

6/11/2020 5:28 pm  #12

Where do I even begin. For as much of a die hard sports fan I am, all I have ever known is pain and sadness.

Minnesota Vikings
- 2009 NFC Championship (Saints Bountygate)
- 2015 Wildcard (Blair Walsh)
- 2017 NFC Championship (38-7)

Minnesota Wild
- 2013 Losing to the Blackhawks in First Round
- 2014 Losing to the Blackhawks in Second Round
- 2015 Losing to the Blackhawks in Second Round

Minnesota Twins
- 2006 Playoffs (Swept by A's in first round after winning the Central and having both AL MVP (Justin Morneau) and AL Cy Young Winner (Johan Santana)
- The F***ing Yankees (16-2 against them in the playoffs during my lifetime, including a the last 10 playoff games we've made (0-10 in those 10))

Minnesota United
- Losing the US Open Cup Final to Atlanta United (Our expansion partners and rivals)

College Hockey
- Bemidji State losing to Mankato (our biggest rival) in the last game of the regular season to not split the 2019 WCHA title
- Top seeded St. Cloud State losing to Ferris State in overtime of game one of the 2016 NCAA Tourney in St. Paul (I was at this game)
- Top seeded St. Cloud State losing to Air Force in game one of the 2018 NCAA Tourney
- Top seeded St. Cloud State losing to AIC in game one of the 2019 NCAA Tourney

College Football
- Gophers always losing to Wisconsin (3-18 in my lifetime, only 1 of those wins I can remember (2018))
- Gophers always losing to Iowa (6-15 in my lifetime)
- Gophers always losing to Michigan (2-12 in my lifetime)

6/11/2020 5:36 pm  #13

I could go on with all of the different sports that I follow, but I'll try to keep it short.
MLB: 2018 NLCS Game 7, I called Puig's 3-run homer at the start of the at-bat and I yelled at the TV to get Jeffress out of the game after that.
NFL: To echo Dan O'Mac, the onside kick from the 2015 NFC Championship Game. If Bostick wouldn't have gone up for that kick, the Packers would've won.
NBA: The Bucks losing to the Raptors in the Eastern Conference Finals last year.
NCAAF: Wisconsin's last four Rose Bowls. I was only a couple of months old when they won in 2000, so I've never actually gotten to see them win with my own eyes and remember it.
NCAAB: 2015 National Championship Game, I forget which Duke player the ball went off of towards the end of the game, but it should've been the Badgers ball and they could've won the title.
NASCAR: Joey Logano spinning Matt Kenseth out in Kansas 2015, though thankfully Matt got his revenge in Martinsville.
F1: Ferrari the last couple of seasons, although Bahrain 2019 and Canada 2019 are probably the worst of the bunch.

6/11/2020 5:50 pm  #14

Section30 wrote:

Where do I even begin. For as much of a die hard sports fan I am, all I have ever known is pain and sadness.

Minnesota Vikings
- 2015 Wildcard (Blair Walsh)
- 2017 NFC Championship (38-7)

Minnesota Wild
- 2013 Losing to the Blackhawks in First Round
- 2014 Losing to the Blackhawks in Second Round
- 2015 Losing to the Blackhawks in Second Round

Minnesota Twins
- 2006 Playoffs (Swept by A's in first round after winning the Central and having both AL MVP (Justin Morneau) and AL Cy Young Winner (Johan Santana)
- The F***ing Yankees (16-2 against them in the playoffs during my lifetime, including a the last 10 playoff games we've made (0-10 in those 10))

Minnesota United
- Losing the US Open Cup Final to Atlanta United (Our expansion partners and rivals)

College Hockey
- Bemidji State losing to Mankato (our biggest rival) in the last game of the regular season to not split the 2019 WCHA title
- Top seeded St. Cloud State losing to Ferris State in overtime of game one of the 2016 NCAA Tourney in St. Paul (I was at this game)
- Top seeded St. Cloud State losing to Air Force in game one of the 2018 NCAA Tourney
- Top seeded St. Cloud State losing to AIC in game one of the 2019 NCAA Tourney

College Football
- Gophers always losing to Wisconsin (3-18 in my lifetime, only 1 of those wins I can remember (2018))
- Gophers always losing to Iowa (6-15 in my lifetime)
- Gophers always losing to Michigan (2-12 in my lifetime)

Yeah you Minnesotans have it rough. You probably don’t remember the last time the T-Wolves we’re good

6/11/2020 6:13 pm  #15

Section30 wrote:

Minnesota Vikings

I guess I tried to forget that one, but add that to the list (this happened to be the first year I finally settled on being a Vikings fan although the true reason was because they wear purple)

6/11/2020 6:13 pm  #16

I've got a couple..minor gripes. I know I'm spoiled but it still makes me mad.
NHL
2010 Second Round (BARF)
2013 Finals Game 6  (2 Goals in 17 Seconds)
2019 Finals Game 5 (That was a trip, don't tell me otherwise)

6/11/2020 6:22 pm  #17

Oh man. How many pages do I have? Haha. I'll just hit a few particularly painful ones.

Steelers: 

Super Bowl 45 against the Packers. That game is still an untouchable black hole in my mind. I refuse to ever watch any highlight related to that game.

The game against Tim Tebow where he beat us in overtime in the wildcard game. Gawd, that still stings.

OKC Thunder: ... do I even need to explain?

Texas Rangers: Nelly dropping that catch in Game 6. Feliz blowing the save. G-- d---- David Freese.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

6/11/2020 6:25 pm  #18

Stickman wrote:

While I know this is about moments as a sports fan, I felt that I had to include my own heartbreak as an "athlete".  After all, we are our own biggest fans in sports, right?  This is about my final baseball game in Little League.  I already was terrible at baseball (yep, I was that kid you'd put in the outfield when he wasn't benched).  Out team actually won the city championship that year, but all I've ever remembered was the last out we needed to get. 

I had been made fun of all year long by the whole team, (never was the most popular guy, small wonder) and the crappy experience actually made me quit baseball after this game, and I'm sure it's why baseball is no longer my favorite sport (it sure was when I was young though!).  But with one out to go, I just wanted one chance to make a nice play to end my baseball run.  One chance to make up for all the crud I'd been put through.  One chance to finally be the sports hero I always envisioned myself someday being.

Somehow, the batter hit a fly ball right to me.  This was it!  I ran up, held up my glove in anticipation.  Buuuuuut, the ball hit off my glove, rolled to the ground, and I had missed my chance to be the hero despite it literally being the most routine fly ball ever.  I was so upset that I literally prayed to God that I'd get another chance to make it up.  Just. One. More. Chance.   The next batter went to the plate.  Unbelievably, he ALSO hit a fly ball almost right to me!  Holy crap!  I can't believe that actually worked!  I run right up to where I needed to be, held up my glove....... and watched it hit right off the glove and onto the ground the EXACT same way the previous ball did...............and they say lightning doesn't strike twice.

Luckily, we got the next batter out (by strikeout), but I'll never, ever, forget the one chance I had to be the hero......and failed miserably.  So, yeah, that has to be the worst moment for me as a sports fan/athlete.

I think we're beginning to see why Mr. Stickman the AltHL owner employs psychics and drinks too much. 

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

6/11/2020 6:41 pm  #19

Stickman wrote:

MLB: 1996 Atlanta Braves blowing a 2-0 World Series lead against the New York Yankees after winning the first two in New York.  Had we closed that series out, who knows?  Maybe the Braves would have had that dynasty run that the Yankees enjoyed in the late 90s.  Also, nearly every 90's post-season when we suddenly forgot to show up.

NFL: The 3 consecutive NFC championship losses that the Philadelphia Eagles experienced.  The worst by far, (and my overall worst sports memory ever) was the 2003 NFC Championship game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on the final game of Veteran Stadium's life.....freaking Ronde Barber, man!

MMA: Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar.  I had recently become a MMA fan, and Randy Couture was one of my favorites right out the gate. A 40 something year old guy somehow the UFC Heavyweight Champion despite his age and smaller size.  Enter Brock Lesnar, former pro wrestler that somehow got a title fight with a 2-1 record.  Watching him dismantle Couture sucked big time.

Personal:  While I know this is about moments as a sports fan, I felt that I had to include my own heartbreak as an "athlete".  After all, we are our own biggest fans in sports, right?  This is about my final baseball game in Little League.  I already was terrible at baseball (yep, I was that kid you'd put in the outfield when he wasn't benched).  Out team actually won the city championship that year, but all I've ever remembered was the last out we needed to get. 

I got beat wide in overtime of an amateur hockey national semifinals game when I was 13. Then I followed that by watching a future NHL player make our goalie look dumb, ending the season and our 75 game run to a national title (Which is ludicrous for a 12/13u team). I don’t hold onto it quite like you due to the fact that I was just a forward covering for 2 pinching D, so what was I going to do? Your story brought this memory back though, and I don’t appreciate it.

6/11/2020 7:22 pm  #20

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Stickman wrote:

I got beat wide in overtime of an amateur hockey national semifinals game when I was 13. Then I followed that by watching a future NHL player make our goalie look dumb, ending the season and our 75 game run to a national title (Which is ludicrous for a 12/13u team). I don’t hold onto it quite like you due to the fact that I was just a forward covering for 2 pinching D, so what was I going to do? Your story brought this memory back though, and I don’t appreciate it.

I updated my post about the basketball game where I thought I made a game winning 3 but it was ruled a 2 and that only tied the game. We lost and that was my last basketball game I ever played

Board footera