Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/14/2019 4:52 pm  #11

Re: Silverian Baseball League

Section30 wrote:

You misspelled Voyageurs in your graphic

Good catch, but they use the English “Voyagers,” not the French “Voyageurs.

Last edited by jxhnhvhn (6/14/2019 4:59 pm)

6/16/2019 11:07 pm  #12

Game 1 pitted MVP Lenny Royston against Stratford unknown Ricardo Sultana. The result came as a surprise to all those watching, not only would Sultana pitch a complete game, but he allowed only 4 hits. Royston couldn’t keep up with the youngster as he pitched 7 ⅔ innings, allowing 2 earned runs. Going into the 9th, the Condors led 2-1. Sultana walked the first batter and then gave up a dinky hit putting runners on first and second. An infield muff led to a fielder’s choice and runners on second and third with only 1 out. However, Sultana struck out lead-off hitter 2B Dan Penzak to give the Condors 2 outs. In stepped SS Roger Bisset who took a high fastball for strike 1 that left fans worried for his sanity. It wasn’t a good omen for the Kings as Bisset hit a fly ball to left field to end the game. Game 2 started much the same way with the game remaining scoreless until the 5th. The Kings broke the watergates open with a 2-run bomb from OF Don Beutel. From there they scored 4,1,0,1 in the last four innings, leaving the Condors in the dust, 8-3. Game 3 saw the series move to Stratford, but what momentum the Condors had gained in Game 1, they lost in Game 2, and they gave up even more runs in Game 3 in what could only be called a demolition, 13-1. At this point, Condors’ manager Mack Paterson had enough and went to a pitching by committee strategy far before its time. In Game 4 Stratford’s 4 pitchers combined to give up 6 runs, an improvement, but it wasn’t good enough to get the win. Lenny Royston pitched Game 5 for the Kings and much like in Game 1 he was out done, this time giving up 5 runs in comparison to the 2 given up by Sultana. This forced the series back to Bangor for Game 6. The Kings put up 6 once again as their pitching rolled through the Stratford lineup, giving up only 1 run and an uneventful ending to an intriguing championship. With that, the Bangor Kings became the first Silverian Series champions and the team to beat going into the 1960 offseason. Silverian Series MVP was awarded to Don Beutel most especially for his role in turning around the series in Bangor’s favor. Notable in his lack of star impact during the series was Condors OF Daisuke Hayashi, who hit only .225 with 2 RBIs. Conversation of in-fighting between Stratford teammates and coaches became the consensus as to why the team collapsed mid-series.

Last edited by jxhnhvhn (6/16/2019 11:07 pm)

6/17/2019 1:21 am  #13

Congrats to Bangor! Tough loss for the Condors. Gotta clean up that locker room.

I'd love to see even a crude map of Silvera! Really helps with fictional countries.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

6/18/2019 2:46 pm  #14

Steelman wrote:

Congrats to Bangor! Tough loss for the Condors. Gotta clean up that locker room.

I'd love to see even a crude map of Silvera! Really helps with fictional countries.

6/25/2019 1:06 am  #15

Good to see a map! Hopefully you've got more in store for this league.

What are you using for simulation and/or player tracking?

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

6/26/2019 8:33 pm  #16

In light of his team’s collapse in the Silverian Series, manager Mack Paterson became the scapegoat. #1 pitcher Ricardo Sultana said the problem was that Paterson lost trust in his pitchers. Due to the backlash, Paterson, a North Carolina native, returned home for a valuable opportunity to be the manager for the Class A Charlotte Hornets. Meanwhile, Traders Bay fired their manager after the last game because of the Tigers underachieving. The Tigers surprised SBL fans when they hired Hamstead manager Damon Seaver, who had led the Ranchers to a painfully mediocre 35-35 season. However, they did have a great start to the season, but couldn’t score when most needed. Only one major star changed teams during the SBL’s first offseason, that being St. Patrick Gaels OF, Syd Braxton, who left for the defending champs, Stratford Condors. It seems former Condors hitting coach and now manager Ed McConnell has the Condors set to contend for another Silverian Series title. Silver Point and St. Patrick seemed to improve their depth the most this offseason, with Bangor and Hamstead experiencing the biggest losses.

To answer how I am simulating this. Originally I had planned to use OOTP, but I find this more fun and I have a bit more control. So, what I decided to do was give each team a rating (9-17, which is really odd, but I couldn’t have them be too far part, probably should say 1-8, but for accuracy’s sake) on the talent of their star players, managers, pitchers, catcher, infielders, and outfielders. Each is equal to each other which you could argue doesn’t make sense in real baseball, but that’s how I have it set up. Then, I randomly generate a number 1-100, and the difference between the teams’ total numbers determines what is essentially their percentage to win. So, if one team’s rating is 80 and another’s is 60, then the home series would be 50+20, plus another 5 to account for home field advantage. Away series’ are 10 less percentage points then home series.’ Free Agency was different when I was simulating the first season, but generally I pick how many FA’s will leave a team depending on market size, previous season success, and managing, 1-3 for each team. Then I just pick where they go. International FA will start in one of the first few seasons and each team gets two numbers 1-6 in which they can improve or decline, in other words if they sign an international FA or one of their players’ leave. How good teams were in the first season was determined somewhat randomly with most numbers just being a random 9-17, but I wanted to adjust for market size too.

Last edited by jxhnhvhn (6/27/2019 1:54 pm)

6/26/2019 8:55 pm  #17

I'm loving the backstory you're setting up for this. Huh, you'd think Stratfor wouldn't have collapsed but, stuff happens I suppose.

Posting three times as fast from a lowkey dystopia.

6/27/2019 1:48 pm  #18

So, here's a more detailed city map including the 10 biggest cities of Silver Peninsula and the 5 biggest of each other province. For  any of those interested in population. As of 1960, Silveria has about 3.7 million people in it (The 5.4 million figure in the intro was from 2019 data) with 1.06 million living in Silver Peninsula, 415,000 living in Stratford F.D., 545,000 living in Green Coast, 115,000 living in Highlands, 570,000 living in Riverlands, 470,000 living in Traders Bay, and 525,000 living in Rivers End. I haven't calculated population increases and decreases for cities over time yet, but the cities in order of largest population to smallest are,
Top 5/Big Cities: Stratford, F.D. slightly over Silver Point, SP, Hamstead, RE, Bangor, RL, St. Patrick, GC
Small Cities: Trent, SP, O'Connor, SP, Sherborne, TB, Dudley, TB, Haydon, RL, Brackley, RL, Aldborough, GC, Wells, RE
Big Towns: Portsmouth, SP, Salisbury, TB, Westbury, SP, Derby, TB, Nottingham, SP, Lovell, RL, Woodsborough, HL, Litchfield, SP, New Dublin, GC, Crowland, SP, Wycombe, TB, Barton, SP, Walden, SP, Rothley, GC,
Small Towns: Dover, RL, Hastings, GC, Carlisle, RE, Hutton, HL, Burwell, HL, Cork, RE, Southmont, HL, Bristol, RE, Edingbury, HL

6/27/2019 7:56 pm  #19

1961 Pre-Season Predictions

Stratford Condors
The Condors on the other hand have excelled without former manager Mack Paterson, it seems they have benefitted from having a laidback manager that will let them do their own work. Ed McConnell was quoted saying that the most important thing as a manager is to strike a balance between telling players what to do and letting them decide what to do. With Star addition Syd Braxton I expect the Condors to achieve something they fell just short of last year, a Silverian Series championship.

Bangor Kings
Coming off a great season and a surprising championship, the Kings failed to improve in the offseason. Silverian Series MVP Don Beutel left for Silver Point. However, this shouldn’t be a backbreaker for the Kings as Beutel isn’t widely considered a star. But, losses in the Outfield may come back to haunt the Kings if they are to make the Silverian Series once again. Stratford is known for extra-base hits and if possible could turn singles into doubles and doubles into triples. Expect Bangor to finish first in the East, but lose to the Condors in the Silverian Series.

Silver Point Voyagers
Although the Voyagers improved in their Pitching and Outfielding during the offseason, they failed to address not only their lack of star power, but also their lack of any coherence in the infield. Renowned manager Ken O’Shea blamed the failure on owner Jack Lund, while Lund pointed at his signings as proof he was trying. Either way, the Voyagers haven’t looked much better than last year in Spring Training and I wouldn’t expect more than a .500 record for the Blue-n-Silvers.

St. Patrick Gaels
Other than Traders Bay, many saw St. Patrick Gaels as having the most disappointing season last year. They also lost star OF Syd Braxton in the offseason providing even less hope for this season. Without a spectacular breakthrough, even with additions in the infield and outfield, the Gaels should be lulling themselves to a 30-win year.

Hamstead Ranchers
Manager Damon Seaver left in the offseason, but it shouldn’t be too big a loss as he was considered average at best. To replace him the Ranchers brought in U.S. import Ricky Tibbs, who became the SBL’s first black manager in just its second season. However, Hamstead was the biggest loser of the 1960 Offseason losing most of their pitching depth, something which was crucial to their hot start last season. With a new manager, expect these lesser Ranchers to win a few less games than last year.

Traders Bay Tigers
The Tigers looked like a boy amongst men last season and they shouldn’t stray too far from that this season. Regression to the mean, a new manager, and a young team indicate they’ll be a little bit better this year, but not by much. If prospect Chris Dodge pans out it should be a low-to-mid twenty’s win season in Traders Bay.

7/03/2019 2:07 am  #20

With last year’s Silverian Series being rated as high as an above average football (Association) game within Silveria, the SBL looked to capitalize on the start of its second season with a rematch between Stratford Condors and Bangor Kings at Herald Field in downtown Stratford. Kings’ Lenny Royston pitched a complete game in a 3-1 bout versus new rival Ricardo Sultana. Attendance still lagged behind League 1 teams in the SFL, however TV numbers saw an increase in what many thought was an early season hoax. Bangor Kings swept its first series against Stratford Condors, but struggled afterward, leaving them with a poor record up until about a third of the way through the season. Stratford and Silver Point Voyagers saw the strongest performances in the first few weeks as they battled back and forth for the division lead. But, after Don Beutel’s injury, the Voyagers weren’t the same, and they certainly weren’t as dynamic. St. Patrick got off to a slow start after losing star OF Syd Braxton, but would eventually put together a solid year in which they overachieved their way to the closest second place finish thus far at 4 games. Traders Bay also opened up well, a surprising 7-3 in its first 10. Top prospect Chris Dodge (C) let everyone know quickly that he was not to be messed with. He threw out the highest percentage of runners thus far in SBL history, as well as being top 10 in RBI. Bangor finished its season off well once again, seemingly bringing hope back for everyone besides Condors fans as Stratford looked to be running away with the title. Hamstead Ranchers were the most mediocre team during the 1960-1961 season. Unlike last year, there was no hot start and the maroons could never roll off many wins in a row due to an error-happy infield. The best outfield this side of the Pacific smacked the ball this year, with Stratford Condor Syd Braxton claiming the MVH (hitter). MVP (pitcher) was awarded to Lenny Royston once again. MVF (fielder) and the newly made MVR (rookie) we’re both given to Traders Bay C Chris Dodge. The Silverian Series will see the Stratford Condors and Bangor Kings battle for a championship a second time. Even with a lesser manager than last season, offseason additions have been too great. The Condors will win this one, but make it in 6.

Board footera