Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/24/2019 3:22 am  #21

Re: Torland Hockey League: THL 2.0

Love the cuffs on the whales, real Montreal vibe. Enjoy the business tactic of naming the team to make fans back them because of a hot button topic! Definitely my #1 at the moment... but that isn't very hard in a battle of two.

6/25/2019 12:13 am  #22

Thanks ThisIsFine, ~Bear, Section30, and Thehealthiestscratch!

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

Really happy to see this continue from the boards Steel! Well Torland in general, your baseball concepts were high class, and so far these are too, ill wait till all identities are revealed before making my alliances. Btw, will any cities that had a Star League team get a hockey team? In specific San Ferrio, I was a Tars fan and would be interested in continuing my support for San Ferrio teams! 

Thanks Bella! Hockey isn't real big in the southeast and south in general outside of the far west coast in Torland. However, the city for the next team, Chasonne, was slated to be the next expansion team for the Star League before the things got in the way. There will be another nearby smaller city that was also a TSL expansion city that will have a hockey team eventually, but really hockey is only big in the north and northwestern areas of the country as of yet.  Scratch is a Tars fan also deciding on a new hockey team to root for, so I'll be eager to see who y'all choose.

Addendum; most hockey players who grew up in the non-hockey regions of Torland have either moved to some of the big hockey cities while still in high school or joined independent traveling teams before accepting collegiate scholarships.

Last edited by Steelman (6/25/2019 12:15 am)

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

6/25/2019 12:23 am  #23

Idk if quoting works same as it does on the computer but I bet you’ll see it anyways steel. But speaking of travel puck, I always thought about doing an amateur hockey fictional sim, not juniors but at maybe 14u to 17u levels where there is the bulk of development and where players and scouts will really get the feeling of if the kids hopes of the highest level could be met. It wouldn’t be a super deep dive, more of an overview of all the clubs and the levels in them, but this is still such a big project for the USA I have not figured out where to start. How do you think this idea might transition to a place the size of our beloved Torland?

6/25/2019 12:52 am  #24

CHASONNE HERALDS

- #9 D Paul Kauffman / #22 F Lou D'Angelo

Quick Facts:

• City: Chasonne, Forstana
  • Nickname: Heralds
  • Owner: Claud Elam
  • Head Coach: Stan Massey
  • Home Ice: Song City Forum

About the City:

Chasonne is the music and arts capitol of Torland. Built with shades of Paris in mind, the Song City has long been a center for artistic expression, tolerance and open minds. It has morphed into a thriving, vibrant cityscape but still holds true to its founding ideals as a forum for new ideas and expressions. One of Torland's most liberal hotspots, both artistic and politically, Chasonne (officially pronounced "cha-SOWN" but has dozens of variations depending on what quarter of the city you're from) is an oasis for freethinkers. The city has a strong backbone with an expansive harbor in the naturally deep and spacious Kelso Bay. Aside from the many private schools and high brows pockets of Torland moneymakers who moor their yachts in the harbor, Chasonne is also home to many hippies and gypsies. Migrant work is a strong factor in the community, many factories and businesses employing only seasonal labor to maintain quotas. The city was beautifully designed with lots of ornate buildings and ample marble pillars and has streets laid out to accentuate the natural beauty of Forstana's coastlines but also suffers from poor maintenance and municipal oversight from the constant quarrels between Torland's four major political factions. With a thirst for entertainment though, sports have been a stable enterprise in the city. Heralds owner Claud Elam is a highly successful art dealer who has fingers in dozens of businesses and creative and political expressions. His odd love for hockey is somewhat unexplained but Elam has prided himself on being eccentric and unpredictable and was responsible for constructing the magnificent Song City Forum as a place to host larger forms of entertainment.

About the Identity:

Claud Elam pulled on his love for the Renaissance Era and the Opera House, Chasonne being home to a world-class auditorium and award-winning local symphony orchestra, to build an identity for the team. Deciding against representing more modern music, especially with the recent influx of dozens of recording studios and newer pop and swing music flooding to the area, Elam kept it more regal in choosing the herald as a mascot. Chasonne's Opera House has a brigade of uniformed and finely trained heralds who announce each show, which has become something of an icon similar to the Royal Guards at Buckingham Palace in London with tourists taking pictures as the heralds go about their business as stoically as they can muster. The logo includes a crossed pair of trumpets behind a kingly banner with a stylized 'H' affixed. A Navy-and-Columbia blue combination is a classic Chasonne colorway, but while local advertisements showed a more diverse scheme, the logo and uniforms when presented publicly conspicuously lacked the locally-favored Columbia blue and instead featured a heavy dosage of gold. Fans were somewhat disappointed, but still excited about their team. Standard sleeve striping and a gold collar on both home and away sweaters kept things straightforward over top more detailed striping on the socks.

About the Team:

Over in Kelso Bay, the new owner of the Heralds, Claud Elam set about building his new team. He set his sights on defensive prowess and convinced 18-year-old stud Paul Kauffman to not join his hometown Port Alrene and instead captain the Heralds and have an opportunity to be a franchise cornerstone for a long time. Elam's words resonated and was a huge early coup in the league. Kauffman can play any position and is a supreme talent with a warm, likable personality that will be well-received in Chasonne. Joseph Jarvis will pair with Kauffman to form a formidable defensive unit with plenty of scoring power.

Elam decided to bring in veterans to tend goal, with Nat Marchant starting and Dean McNab able to split time capably. The forward lines were more nondescript, but there is plenty of young talent ready to develop in Lou D'Angelo and Buddy Dupree. Depth is lacking though. Regarded coach Stan Massey will guide the club.

Up Next: Kirkenport Captains

6/25/2019 12:59 am  #25

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

Idk if quoting works same as it does on the computer but I bet you’ll see it anyways steel. But speaking of travel puck, I always thought about doing an amateur hockey fictional sim, not juniors but at maybe 14u to 17u levels where there is the bulk of development and where players and scouts will really get the feeling of if the kids hopes of the highest level could be met. It wouldn’t be a super deep dive, more of an overview of all the clubs and the levels in them, but this is still such a big project for the USA I have not figured out where to start. How do you think this idea might transition to a place the size of our beloved Torland?

I like that idea, Scratch. I was already thinking about having the community name and provide significant input into designs for Torland's independent teams, many of which will eventually become affiliate clubs for the THL, but that's an interesting idea to focus on the teenage development leagues. I'm not sure what you have in mind on the simulation side, but lets discuss this more via PM. Torland is super diverse and larger than it seems, but still small enough to be a good setting for development. If it's a good plan that helps my storyscape, I'd be more than willing to provide as much detail as you need.

Now you got my wheels turnin'!

6/25/2019 1:29 am  #26

Not use to how things work here yet but I think I sent you a PM. Check the box

6/25/2019 7:20 pm  #27

Chassone looks great, I like the name in relation to the city's history.

6/30/2019 5:46 pm  #28

Chasonne looks amazing! I am a musician and lover of classical music. To see two of my passions merged is just perfect. Signed as a fan!

6/30/2019 11:24 pm  #29

KIRKENPORT CAPTAINS

- #2 F Byron Peachey / #45 G Gerry McKnight

Quick Facts:

• City: Kirkenport, Alrene Isles
  • Nickname: Captains
  • Owner: Don Giordano
  • Head Coach: Al Weatherford
  • Home Ice: Kirk Coliseum

About the City:

Kirkenport is a wild place known for their boisterous and rowdy personalities. As a port city and home of Fort McClendon and a large Navy/Air Station, K-Port has a long, rich military history. The city chose "City of Peace" as their motto in attempt to sway tourism but Kirkenport is anything but peaceful. Spread across the narrow isthmus of the Isle of Kirk, the city is proud of how many bars and clubs they have per capita in their city limits. With so many navy ships docking in the port for scheduled leave, there is never a shortage of lively parties and events. The city is also proud of their famous and infamous navy captains, with Grover McClendon being the city's defacto mayor for his service as being one of Torland's all-time most decorated navy captains. Kirkenport has sent the most service members into the military per capita in Torland. They work hard and party even harder. The economy is stable if not booming with the steady presence of the military base being the primary economic driver.  The city is decidedly middle class, with few "rich pomps" in the city. The Kirk Boys generally stick closely together and help each others family's through the lean times, fostering a tight community where brawling with neighbors is basically a way of life, promptly followed by dropping everything to help that same neighbor.

About the Identity:

With Kirkenport's great navy captain history, the name was a straight-forward choice, in deference to the great Grover McClendon. The logo is a modified version of the KC logo the city uses for the Kirk Coliseum, of which Captains owner Don Giordano is a majority owner. Don G is much more a people person than interested in aesthetics, but chose a dark shade of almost-black "midnight" blue in honor of the world-famous Midnight Mile in downtown, a long boulevard with more than a hundred bars and nightclubs where the city curfew was midnight until more recent years. The Midnight Mile is something of a bucket list attraction and typically draws many bachelor parties and graduation celebrations. A bright blue was chosen as the co-primary color, taken from many of the neon signage on the Mile. In what has become something of a Torland tradition, the away whites are in an off-white; originally an accidental issue with Torland fabric dyes but has become a staple feature throughout Torland sports. Northwestern striping is featured throughout the set and the sleeve numbers are positioned up on the shoulders.

About the Team:

The boisterous boys of the Isle of Kirk were certainly enthusiastic about their new club but owner Don Giordano had a tall task outfitting the roster with less talent and resources. He brought in raw but talented Gerry McKnight to tend goal. Just 18-years-old, McKnight is already a polarizing figure who often says abrasive or offensive things. Kirk boys never shy away from abrasive personalities, so Giordano found as many rowdies as he could to fill the roster.

Seeking veterans with plenty of experience, Giordano brought in Byron Peachey and Rob Cass to lead the forward scoring. Fellow vets Herbert Walker and Theron Rafferty won't hesitate to deliver hits. The defensemen are all bruisers, led by Mike Corbitt. He will pair with Edison Hillis. Crankpot but great coach Al Weatherford was tabbed to lead the Captains.

C&C always appreciated!

Up Next: Trowburgh Lions

7/01/2019 4:18 pm  #30

Don Giordano? my favorite colors!

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

Board footera