Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/21/2020 12:40 am  #451

Re: Torland Hockey League: THL 2.0

I honestly never thought the "Pizza Slice" logo would become like a cult classic. That's one of the fun things about running a series with fans of each team, seeing history develop. I've got some ideas cooking for the Glaciers though and we could definitely see the return of the Pizza Slice in some way. The geometric bear was definitely not meant to be a longterm logo but they've been too successful lately to warrant major changes. They were also supposed to be using the polar bear as their mascot which hasn't really translated yet into their look, so the Kodiaks definitely aren't fans.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

5/21/2020 11:43 am  #452

Steelman wrote:

I honestly never thought the "Pizza Slice" logo would become like a cult classic. That's one of the fun things about running a series with fans of each team, seeing history develop. I've got some ideas cooking for the Glaciers though and we could definitely see the return of the Pizza Slice in some way. The geometric bear was definitely not meant to be a longterm logo but they've been too successful lately to warrant major changes. They were also supposed to be using the polar bear as their mascot which hasn't really translated yet into their look, so the Kodiaks definitely aren't fans.

Fortunately the Pizza Slice and Bear logos are pretty close and I think they work together in the same logo set. I'd bet after this era of Glaciers hockey is over, the slice could return as the crest on an alt (unless it's too early for that, I'm not too knowledgeable about eras of hockey jerseys) before being upgraded full-time. The bear could still work as a shoulder patch or alt crest down the line. I think it's awesome that we even have fans with preferred looks and having actual influence on the team, just like real fans would. Keep the good work coming, Steel!

5/23/2020 2:19 am  #453

1978 MARCOTTE CUP CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS

1 Port Alrene Anchors vs 1 Narva Neptunes
The Anchors have a penchant for seemingly random storybook playoff runs, especially when Ferdy Haight is hot in the net. The Neptunes have been pining for a return to the Cup since finally raising it two seasons ago. This will be a rematch of their 1976 meeting in the Cup where Narva won. Port Alrene has been very stout defensively as Paul Kauffman is having a vintage season. Narva has been showing their scoring prowess as Kris Kotulak leads a very potent top line. Both teams are division champions but Port Alrene will hold home ice with a slightly better record. Pundits are split on who they believe is the better team.

Game 1: NAR 1 @ PA 0 (OT) – The game was a raucous affair from the drop, as both teams fed off the energy to battle it out along the boards. With the game still tied after three, Kris Kotulak wasted no time in the extra period to win it with a goal 20 seconds in.

Game 2: NAR 3 @ PA 1 – The Neptunes took control of the series as Kotulak and Luke Wisniewski found homes for three goals in what was otherwise a great game by Ferdy Haight. In the other net though, Bukowski was a brick wall with a half-dozen highlight-reel saves.

Game 3: PA 0 @ NAR 1 – Now in Narva, the Anchors tried to get back into the series but were met with another brilliant game from Ernie Bukowski as Brankovic and Co made life miserable for Dimitri Ranko and the rest of the Anchors forwards struggled. Old grizzled vet Olivar Hagen scored the winner.

Game 4: PA 3 @ NAR 1 – With their backs against the wall, the Anchors finally found some success with backup goalie Darren Semkos starting for Bukowski as Ranko broke out of his slump for two goals. Kauffman scored the other. Kotulak made it interesting late but the Anchors held on to send the series back to Port Alrene.

Game 5: NAR 1 @ PA 0 – While the Anchors tried to turn it into a series, goalie Ernie Bukowski had other ideas, posting the game of his career with save after save. Midway through the third, Gav Brankovic scored to give the Neptunes the lead as Bukowski continued his brilliance. It was a rough and tumble game but the Neptunes held their ground until the final horn. The Neptunes raised their second Marcotte Cup in three years in joy. Several minutes later after being awarded the Series MVP, Bukowski was asked about his performance during a live TV interview. Bukowski paused for a moment and with a sly grin looked directly into the camera and offered a single soundbite for the ages. “Well, Joe, I just fleeced 'em.”

1978 MARCOTTE CUP CHAMPIONS: Narva Neptunes (2)

Up next: Two expansion teams join the THL

5/23/2020 7:07 am  #454

It's nice to see the Neptunes finally have a good run of seasons, after how bad they'd been for so long!  Lots of low scoring games in that series, definitely a great series if you're into the tense atmosphere those games bring!  I've always imagined how mentally tough you have to be as a goalie when in a championship series, there's always pressure to not let goals in while your team is also struggling.  Gotta be hell on the mind, so Bukowski winning the series MVP after that series definitely seems right! Can't wait to see who the expansion teams are!

Last edited by Stickman (5/23/2020 7:10 am)

5/23/2020 9:11 am  #455

Good stuff to the Neptunes, glad to see them doing better. Super excited for the expansion teams, maybe Bancana or something will get a team to try and destabilize the UHA.

5/23/2020 1:41 pm  #456

Congrats to Narva! You did great out there after years of terribleness.

5/25/2020 11:18 am  #457

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Congrats to Narva! I can smell a dynasty here.

Inmate of the AHSylum
Athletic Director, Semiahmoo University

5/25/2020 9:52 pm  #458

Stickman wrote:

It's nice to see the Neptunes finally have a good run of seasons, after how bad they'd been for so long!  Lots of low scoring games in that series, definitely a great series if you're into the tense atmosphere those games bring!  I've always imagined how mentally tough you have to be as a goalie when in a championship series, there's always pressure to not let goals in while your team is also struggling.  Gotta be hell on the mind, so Bukowski winning the series MVP after that series definitely seems right! Can't wait to see who the expansion teams are!

Bukowski is a great story. He's been steadily plugging away since the infamous Fleece draft trade in 1967, which created a vortex of unrealistically high expectations for him. His early struggles turned him into a popular target of ridicule. He's 12 seasons deep now. He sniffed the All-Star game as an alternate in 1971 but it wasn't until after the Neptunes' collectively bad 1974 season that he started to mature into a top-flight goalie. He's 29 now and hitting his prime late which could bode well for stability at the position while the team is focused on championship runs.

You're also perceptive on the scoring, which has been steadily increasing in volume but got real tight during the championship in particular, putting all the emphasis on the goalies. (Deservedly so, as Ferdy Haight is a living legend at this point, and didn't have a bad series by any means)

Good stuff to the Neptunes, glad to see them doing better. Super excited for the expansion teams, maybe Bancana or something will get a team to try and destabilize the UHA.

You're getting warmer.

Rugrat wrote:

Congrats to Narva! You did great out there after years of terribleness.

It's especially sweet to double up on Cups to prove their first one wasn't a fluke. The Neptunes have a good team. Bukowski is 29. Perennial All-Star forward Kris Kotulak is still just 31 with a bevy of young guys under his wing. All-Star defenseman Gav Brankovic is 34 but heads a lethal group on the blue line. The team has plenty of depth and solid coaching with former THL player Byron Peachey at the helm. They definitely feel they have a few more runs left.

dvdbubba27 wrote:

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Congrats to Narva! I can smell a dynasty here.

Hey! Here's an official welcome to the boards and to this series. Who's your favorite team?

5/25/2020 10:11 pm  #459

Steelman wrote:

Stickman wrote:

Bukowski is a great story. He's been steadily plugging away since the infamous Fleece draft trade in 1967, which created a vortex of unrealistically high expectations for him. His early struggles turned him into a popular target of ridicule. He's 12 seasons deep now. He sniffed the All-Star game as an alternate in 1971 but it wasn't until after the Neptunes' collectively bad 1974 season that he started to mature into a top-flight goalie. He's 29 now and hitting his prime late which could bode well for stability at the position while the team is focused on championship runs.

You're also perceptive on the scoring, which has been steadily increasing in volume but got real tight during the championship in particular, putting all the emphasis on the goalies. (Deservedly so, as Ferdy Haight is a living legend at this point, and didn't have a bad series by any means)

I wondered if that was the same guy!  I hadn't had a chance to go back to check!  That really is a great story!

5/25/2020 10:22 pm  #460

I want a Tunes shirt that says "fleeced." I feel like Narva fans would still be bragging about that, even in 2020. Good work as always!

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

Board footera