Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/18/2020 11:25 pm  #1

The Continent: A Worldbuilding Exercise

If you plan on creating fictional worlds later on, or if you’re just really bored, I have something for you.

It’s an entire continent.

Similar to AlternateHistoryHub’s YouTube contest, I have a completely blank map of a continent, with 10 islands, 5 lakes, 4 major bays, and (I think) 5 peninsulas. The outline is the only predetermined thing here. Everything else is up to you. You can add geography, history, world geographical placement, and anything else, but more importantly, countries and their states. You can do anything with this. Hell, you can even make a topographical version of this map. The only rule is that you can’t change the basic outline.

This isn’t a contest, there will be no winners. I just want to see what you guys can turn this into. Good Luck!

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

5/19/2020 3:54 am  #2

Re: The Continent: A Worldbuilding Exercise

I bit on this, it was a fun little quick challenge. The thicker outlines made it seem like a small island nation to me so I left the territories vague as far as countries or provinces go. Alteria is just from the "Alt" in our site name and city/area names are Northern European flavored. I didn't spend too much time on it but I kind of like it and may come back to it and refine it more.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

5/19/2020 10:16 am  #3

I wasn’t actually expecting anyone to work with this, so thanks Steelman. Also, how would you rank my amateurish fictional cartography from 1 to 10?

P.S. You control what size it is, so it doesn’t really matter.

Last edited by ThisIsFine (5/19/2020 10:20 am)

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

5/20/2020 10:19 pm  #4

ThisIsFine wrote:

I wasn’t actually expecting anyone to work with this, so thanks Steelman. Also, how would you rank my amateurish fictional cartography from 1 to 10?

P.S. You control what size it is, so it doesn’t really matter.

I think it's pretty good. The general shape feels realistic enough which is why I was inspired, so good job with that. You didn't include rivers (neither did I) but overall you captured all the more iconic pieces of geography. My mountains were randomly generated so they don't follow any real patterns of actual geography. The big lake is probably a little large considering how close it is to the coastline, and most of the lakes are probably too close to the coastlines in general, but otherwise it's a nice little project. Thanks for sharing it!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

Board footera