Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/31/2019 10:41 pm  #11

Re: Simulation Methods/Resources

~Bear wrote:

For baseball leagues, I imagine OOTP would work fairly well. The downside would be the cost (you could buy an earlier version for cheaper), but if you enjoy simulations its fun to play. It also generates player names for you, which is something that for me personally is hard and takes an immense amount of time. 

Yeah, my main issue with OOTP is always too much detail. I really wish there was a stripped down version of it where I can just use it to progress players and generate seasons.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

5/31/2019 10:42 pm  #12

CCLXXXVII wrote:

It's a bit unorthodox, but my idea was that I would give each team in the league a 1-100 rating, and then generate the amount of numbers per games in the season. Any number less than or equal to the rating would count as a win, and anything greater than would count as a loss.

This is a cool idea. Have you done any test runs of this method? Curious how it performed for you.

6/03/2019 10:41 am  #13

Steelman wrote:

Dan O'Mac wrote:

The way I work things for my football league (COMING SOON!) is that each team gets a score between 0 and 100 for offense, defense and special teams. Those are then merged with weighting based on whether the coach is offensive minded, defensive minded or balanced, and always 10% on special teams. So for an offensive minded coach, it's Offense 55%, Defense 35%, Special Teams 10%. Defensive minded coach flips offense and defense scores, and balanced moves those to 45-45-10. Rating numbers have the decimal place then moved one spot to make the rating between 0.0 and 10.0 (important for the simulation).

Off-season, each team's rating for the three will be modified to account for players getting better, worse, player additions and player losses. Much of this is random, however, I'll move the numbers manually if I feel they added or lost something very important. In later seasons, there will also be a separate QB score that will be factored into things, as, much like the NFL, QBs are going to be the most important position.

From there, I simulate the results of each game using an online dice roller, home team gets a d12, away team gets a d10 with their rating added to the roll. Ties broken with a d4 added to each.

I'm very intrigued by this! Are you doing this in Excel to crunch the numbers or just manually? I definitely want to hear more about this.

I use Excel to track results and crunch the numbers for me, and a physical notebook for my initial logo sketches and important people/dates information.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

6/20/2019 7:25 pm  #14

Does anybody know if there is a website or some sort of software where I can enter a set of Standings and it generates a Playoff bracket from it? I've been making alternate histories for the MLB, NBA, NHL and NFL, for part of a much bigger project, which have some teams in other divisions/conferences. I'm not necessarily resimming each whole season, but rather using the same records and just altering the Standings from there. I'm wondering if there is an easier, automatic way to doing it.

Last edited by n00bthtpwnz (6/20/2019 8:30 pm)

6/20/2019 10:38 pm  #15

n00bthtpwnz wrote:

Does anybody know if there is a website or some sort of software where I can enter a set of Standings and it generates a Playoff bracket from it? I've been making alternate histories for the MLB, NBA, NHL and NFL, for part of a much bigger project, which have some teams in other divisions/conferences. I'm not necessarily resimming each whole season, but rather using the same records and just altering the Standings from there. I'm wondering if there is an easier, automatic way to doing it.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I have used this for tourney bracket type of things: https://challonge.com/

I feel like I had something similar awhile back, but can't find it out. Maybe something in relation to March Madness tourney generators might produce something usable?

6/20/2019 11:24 pm  #16

Steelman wrote:

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I have used this for tourney bracket type of things: https://challonge.com/

I feel like I had something similar awhile back, but can't find it out. Maybe something in relation to March Madness tourney generators might produce something usable?

I've used Challonge in the past for other things, but I was looking for something like ESPN's NFL playoff machine, but for all four leagues and instead of just predicting the last couple of weeks, just put in the real life results. Like I originally said, I just wanted to make the process a bit easier. If there is nothing out there and I need to calculate it all by hand, I'm fine with that.

Board footera