Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/08/2020 11:44 pm  #11

Re: The National Association of Professional Football Clubs

Yes, but probably not until after World War II. During the 20s and 30s things will be so unstable that there will be teams entering and exiting the league every year. Basically, if a team can pay the fee to enter the league, they’re welcome to join.

I like this

5/09/2020 12:33 am  #12

What a treat to have you back Veras!  It's good to hear that you've been doing well. While I would say many of us who are here know the story of the AFA and were they to witness it, meaning you could probably continue where you left off, I'm excited to see this new, alternate history if you will, of the AFA. Just have one question, do you know if my Guardians will still be around? Hopefully not losing to a New York team as much.

5/09/2020 12:35 am  #13

Welcome! I'll start off by saying I always followed the AFA from the start but never had an account on CCSLC. Loved the series, a huge inspiration, and I am glad to hear you're doing better.

Super excited to see where this goes, especially the start. I had considered at times starting in this era with the NAAF, but felt it made more sense to go from post WW2 for the style I was doing. I enjoy the difference this era brings compared to the more modern style so I am invested. 

5/09/2020 2:49 pm  #14

Welcome aboard! I'm very much looking forward to seeing this!

I don't have a favorite team yet, gonna wait until I see logos and uniforms.7.0.1

5/09/2020 3:01 pm  #15

Welcome Abroad! I loved the AFA and my favorite team was probably the Arizona Firebirds (Yeah we sucked most of the time)

5/09/2020 4:53 pm  #16

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

What a treat to have you back Veras! It's good to hear that you've been doing well. While I would say many of us who are here know the story of the AFA and were they to witness it, meaning you could probably continue where you left off, I'm excited to see this new, alternate history if you will, of the AFA. Just have one question, do you know if my Guardians will still be around? Hopefully not losing to a New York team as much.

The 12 founding members of the AFA will all probably appear at some point, and will likely survive.

Funny side note - I just realized that your league is called the National Football Association, which is what I had intended to call this one eventually. I may have to retract my previous statement and call this the AFA after all, lol.

Wallflower wrote:

Welcome! I'll start off by saying I always followed the AFA from the start but never had an account on CCSLC. Loved the series, a huge inspiration, and I am glad to hear you're doing better.

Super excited to see where this goes, especially the start. I had considered at times starting in this era with the NAAF, but felt it made more sense to go from post WW2 for the style I was doing. I enjoy the difference this era brings compared to the more modern style so I am invested. 

It's kind of weird to start here. A lot of teams don't have logos, the uniforms are wacky, and the league membership will change every season. It's going to be very different.

Section30 wrote:

Welcome aboard! I'm very much looking forward to seeing this!

I don't have a favorite team yet, gonna wait until I see logos and uniforms.7.0.1

Well, most teams won't have logos quite yet. It probably won't be a majority until the late 1920s and it won't be universal until the mid-1930s. Uniforms and backstories, though, I have.

Rugrat wrote:

Welcome Abroad! I loved the AFA and my favorite team was probably the Arizona Firebirds (Yeah we sucked most of the time)

That is probably a fair assessment of their history, lol. At least they made one Victory Bowl - that's better than Miami did!

I like this

5/09/2020 4:57 pm  #17

Up first is the Ann Arbor Gladiators.

History: The Gladiators were founded in 1898 by the then 26-year old University of Michigan Antiquities Professor Aldrich Carrington. He had been a center at Princeton during his time as a student there, and wished to continue playing. Virtually all Michigan Wolverines who go pro join the Gladiators.

Leadership: Now 47 years old, Professor Carrington no longer plays football, but he still runs the team. A charismatic and persuasive man, he excels at recruiting talent from all over the country.

Key Players: 27-year old C Thomas McKeen is arguably the best interior lineman in the country, and is particularly effective as a bulldozing blocker in an era in which passing is very limited.

Outlook: Given that they have a virtual monopoly on talent coming out of the powerhouse that is the Michigan Wolverines, an owner who is independently wealthy and willing to pay more than virtually any other team (allowing him to lure in out of state talent as well), and a two decade history of success, the Gladiators are strong contenders to bring home titles, and seem likely to remain in that position for the foreseeable future.

Nickname: Their founder is one of the world's leading experts in Ancient Roman gladiatorial combat.

Uniforms: The team literally wears old Michigan Wolverines jerseys.

I like this

5/09/2020 5:06 pm  #18

I'm glad to hear that the Guardians will most likely be returning. 
You know it's funny that you mention wanting to use the NFA, because I came up with the NFA as a mix of the NFL and AFA. 

Edit: I like the Gladiators look! Definitely era appropriate. Also had a thought, what's going to happen to other leagues like the Dixie League that introduced Houston and New Orleans?

Last edited by MyTeamIsDr.Pepper (5/09/2020 5:08 pm)

5/09/2020 5:11 pm  #19

Welcome Veras and congrats on the new thread! I’m like the majority of people here in that I followed the AFA from start to finish and I’m a huge fan of yours. I’m extremely excited to see where this all goes.

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

5/09/2020 5:29 pm  #20

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

I like the Gladiators look! Definitely era appropriate. Also had a thought, what's going to happen to other leagues like the Dixie League that introduced Houston and New Orleans?

There will be rival leagues, but I’m not going to hold to what I said about them in the AFA thread. I’ll also never track them closely. No designs, no stories, no players, unless it somehow becomes relevant to the main story. So the Krewe, Whales, Destroyers, Hurricanes, and Comets will all likely exist, even if the names of the league(s) are different and/or they don’t come to the NAPFC in the same way.

Captain Mort 3D wrote:

Welcome Veras and congrats on the new thread! I’m like the majority of people here in that I followed the AFA from start to finish and I’m a huge fan of yours. I’m extremely excited to see where this all goes.

I’m glad to hear it! I don’t recognize your username, is it because I just forgot, you have a different one on CCSL, or you were a lurker?

I like this

Board footera