Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/20/2020 6:03 pm  #1281

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

1974 Kellogg Cup Playoffs; First Round - Twin Cities

Edina Cake Eaters vs Brooklyn Park Panthers
Those damn Cake Eaters from the west side just keep finding ways to win, dominating the Panthers for 60 minutes on their way to a 4-2 win. Brooklyn Park did have some short bursts of competitiveness, managing to net two in the process, but Edina was just too much, overwhelming the Cats on their way to victory.

Little Canada Canucks vs Coon Rapids Bandits
The Nucks were looking to duplicate their incredible run a year ago now with the benefit of home ice. The Canucks were the better team in the first, leading 1-0 after 20. Little Canada added to their lead in the second, looking well on their way to the second round. Things took a drastic tun in the third with Coon Rapids finding another gear and pushing the pressure on the Canucks, making them make mistakes. This opened up chances which the Bandits were able to bury to tie it up at 2 and force overtime. We went to ot and Little Canada looked stunned and confused as to what just happened, Coon Rapids meanwhile was buzzing and itching to resume play. Before long the Bandits had a 3 on 1 chance where the puck carrier ripped a shot off the goalie's pad almost as a pass to his teammate who buried the rebound to send the Bandits to the second round.

White Bear Lake Braves vs Eau Claire Rubber Kings
The newcomers from 'Sconnie had a date with the champs of their league who they are yet to beat in their short history. The Braves playoff experience was evident as the game went on as White Bear began to pull away. When the final horn rang the scoreboard read 4-2 in favor of WBL, ending the Kings inaugural season.

Osseo Screaming Eagles vs Bloomington Bears
It was a low scoring affair at Osseo Ice Arena as the Bears and Eagles just couldn't seem to find the back of the net to save their lives. This game was by no means an offensive battle, with neither side playing all that great on the attack, but what few chances there were were wasted more often than not. The only goal of the game happened to come as a complete fluke. Bloomington dumped the puck into the Osseo zone and the goalie had gone to the corner to play it but his defenseman said to leave it for him so he skated back to his net. As he was getting to the net, his defenseman passed it through the slot to his d partner, but the pass was off, hitting the goalie's skate and bouncing into the net. This would prove to be the error that cost the Screaming Eagles their season as Bloomington advances with a 1-0 win.

Minneapolis Millers vs Bloomington West Terriers
Upset Alert! The second seeded Minneapolis Millers fell to their former Twin Cities West rivals from Bloomington West. The Terrible Terriers managed to shut down the Millers offensive threats while beating the Miller goalie on multiple occasions five hole to secure the 2-0 upset win.

South St. Paul Mavericks vs Maplewood Retrievers
This was a game many anticipated to be a even, low scoring contest. That is not what happened. South St. Paul took an early lead and kept their foot slammed on the gas for the remainder of the game, scoring 4 more times. Maplewood avoided the shutout on a powerplay with 3 minutes left, losing by a final score of 5-1.

St. Paul Saints vs Golden Valley Chargers
After an even first period, things took a turn on the Chargers when the Saints rattled off 3 unanswered goals in the second. Both teams would score in the third, sending St. Paul to the second round with a 4-1 win.

Richfield Roosters vs Como Sea Lions
An underappreciated team from the West Metro vs a underappreciated team from the Twin Cities. As expected, this one was a toss up. Things were even through two, tied at 1, and both teams scored in the third, sending us to overtime tied 2-2 in Richfield. A few minutes passed before Richfield gained a powerplay. They didn't let it go to waste, peppering the Sea Lion goalie until a rebound was shoveled home before it could be cleared, winning the game for the Cocks.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

4/20/2020 6:54 pm  #1282

Wow, what a game, gg Hibbings. Both the Saints and Redbirds advancing, lets do something this year!

4/21/2020 6:58 pm  #1283

1974 Kellogg Cup Playoffs; First Round - South

Sioux Falls Packers vs Brookings Buffaloes
It was a battle for South Dakota in the first round with Brookings making the trip south to the Slaughterhouse. The Hogs have dominated this rivalry since the Buffs inception, but Brookings still had high hopes of an upset. Those dreams did not come to fruition. The Packers were a much more physical team in this one, winning battles for loose pucks and having it pay off on the scoreboard. The final horn sounded with the Packers in front 4-1, advancing to the second round.

St. Peter Governors vs La Crosse Brewers
Riverside Park filled in for one more playoff push before the Govs move indoors next year. La Crosse came ready to play, switching into their playoff mode which seems to always give them an edge come playoffs. The Brewers came close in the first, but it remained scoreless until a bad turnover gave La Crosse a point blank chance that was buried five hole. St. Peter had a few solid minutes of pressure in the third that never turned into anything and the Brewers netted an empty net goal to secure a 2-0 win on the road.

Sioux City Shockers vs Marshall Pheasants
It was a high flying, high scoring, game in Sioux City as the Shockers welcomed Southwest Association enemies, Marshall. Things opened with an offensive explosion, 3 goals in the first 2 minutes. The Shockers were in the lead and extended it to 3-1 later in the first. Marshall managed to score a pair of quick goals midway through the second, but the Shockers would get back in the lead before the end of the period. Another goal for the Shockers would be the final nail in the coffin, sending Sioux City to the second round with a 5-3 win.

Northfield Outlaws vs Albert Lea Dragoons
The visitors from Albert Lea got on the board first, holding the lead until the Outlaws tied it late in the second. The Drags would pop in a powerplay goal in the third to regain the lead, but an offensive explosion from Northfield would overwhelm the Dragoons, causing them to actually fall behind 3-2. Albert Lea was unable to recover from the surge of the Outlaws, ending their season and sending Northfield to the second round.

Mankato Moose vs Hastings Rivermen
This one was a game of periods, with Mankato winning the first and third and Hastings the second. It was strange how the teams looked like completely different versions of themselves depending on the period. In the end a 2 goal third would be enough to put Mankato over the top, advancing to the second round.

Cottage Grove Yellow Jackets vs Apple Valley Cardinals
It was a South Metro shootout in Cottage Grove as the Jackets and Cards exchanged goal after goal, ending regulation with 4 apiece. We went to overtime and Cottage Grove began to buzz, making passes into dangerous areas. A pass was made to a man right outside the crease with his back to the goal. He caught it and quickly turned and fired a backhander that snuck under the goalie's arm and in, sending the Jackets to the second round with a 5-4 win.

New Ulm Bavarians vs Red Wing Chiefs
Despite what the scoreboard says, this one was a dominant performance from the New Ulm Bavarians. A couple of fluke goals in the third make the score appear closer than it was. In reality the Diamonds out shot the Chiefs 41-17 and buried 4 goals before the third when the team went into a defensive shell. New Ulm advances with a 4-2 win, looking to keep their Super Series streak alive.

Rochester Mustangs vs Burnsville Bucks
Most had anticipated this one to be all Mustangs and they were mostly right, as Rochester was the better team on the night and came out with the win, but Burnsville was much tougher than most gave them credit for. Scoring three on the Mustangs is no small feat, but ultimately their defense was no match for the Stangs who put 5 on the board.

4/22/2020 12:14 am  #1284

Hello everyone! I'm new to posting, but have been following the MAHL all the way back to the sportslogos.net days. Section30, your work is great and I have really enjoyed following along!

A few of my favorite teams:
- I was born in Edina so naturally they are my top team. Love the nickname and really hoping they can finally get that elusive Kellogg Cup this year!
- Dallas is my favorite NHL team, so I've got to root for Roseau. Go Stars!
- Most of my life I've lived in Oklahoma and I went to school at Oklahoma State, so I figured I would cheer for Stillwater.
- I have some family who live near Mason City, so when they got a team I thought I would add them to my list.

4/22/2020 1:17 am  #1285

gingeneer03 wrote:

Hello everyone! I'm new to posting, but have been following the MAHL all the way back to the sportslogos.net days. Section30, your work is great and I have really enjoyed following along!

- I was born in Edina so naturally they are my top team. Love the nickname and really hoping they can finally get that elusive Kellogg Cup this year!
- Most of my life I've lived in Oklahoma and I went to school at Oklahoma State, so I figured I would cheer for Stillwater.
- I have some family who live near Mason City, so when they got a team I thought I would add them to my list.

Thank you that means a lot!

Happy to hear from you, I'm looking forward to getting an actual Cake Eaters thoughts 

Last edited by Section30 (4/22/2020 1:18 am)

4/22/2020 5:55 am  #1286

gingeneer03 wrote:

As a matter of fact, the Cake Eaters almost won the Kellog Cup before they were defeated by the Bavarians (a team which I support).

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

4/22/2020 1:17 pm  #1287

Everyone is talking about these Cake Eaters, but they are all forgetting that the Bandits will take the cake and eat it too!

4/22/2020 1:35 pm  #1288

TourneyEarnie wrote:

Everyone is talking about these Cake Eaters, but they are all forgetting that the Bandits will take the cake and eat it too!

Some big talk from a division who couldn't break top 15 in the rankings. I wouldn't mind seeing it, but I'm not holding my breath.

4/22/2020 5:03 pm  #1289

Only three things certain in this life...death, taxes, and the Brewers beating the Govs in the playoffs!

4/22/2020 6:27 pm  #1290

1974 Kellogg Cup Playoffs; Second Round - North

Bemidji Blue Ox vs St. Cloud Bearcats
Two teams that briefly played against one another in the Northland Hockey League faced off at the Glas to determine who will be headed to the Super Series. Bemidji came ready to play, oozing with confidence and it translated to the game itself. The Babes were the much more physical team, wearing down the Bearcats and burying a pair of goals in the second. The atmosphere was electric in the Fieldhouse with over 2,700 fans voices echoing off the walls. It was all too much for St. Cloud as things began to fall apart and the Ox buried another to extend their lead to 3. The final horn sounded, sending Bemidji to their first Super Series appearance that has been a long time in the coming.

Grand Rapids Moose vs Eveleth Redbirds
These Iron Range rivals were locked in a back and forth affair in Rapids as the Moose and Reds both gave it their all to advance. The score was tied at two as the third began with both teams having held a lead for a short period of time. Grand Rapids was called for tripping, giving Eveleth a much appreciated powerplay chance. While setting up, a Redbird planted himself in front of goal and wouldn't budge. A frustrated Moose defenseman decided to give him a shiver in the side, earning a cross checking penalty and setting up Eveleth with a 5 on 3. Eveleth would not let the chance go to waste, using the extra space to set up a one timer that went untouched into the back of the net to give the Redbirds a 3-2 lead. That would prove to be the final score, sending Eveleth to their first Super Series where they'll look for Cup number 6.

Steinbach Barbarians vs Fargo Titans
Coming off a huge victory over the Giants, Fargo was feeling on top of the world and with good reason. The Titans kept their impressive run of form going in Steinbach as they held an explosive Barbs offense to only one goal and managed to force overtime. Steinbach began overtime very strong, getting a couple chances broken up and some shots on goal. But a whiffed one timer from the point went out of the zone and caused a 2 man race for the loose puck between the defender and a Titan winger. The Titan got an inch and bodied the Barbarian out of the way, scooping up the loose puck and going in on goal with the defenseman right on his heels. Unable to make a move with the pressure, he took a quick shot in the slot that banked off the pipe and in, sending Fargo to the Super Series with their second upset of the playoffs thus far.

Warroad Lakers vs East Grand Forks Pointers
A quick goal from the visitors caught Warroad by surprise, but the Lakers quickly got things figured out and had tied it by the end of the period. Warroad would tack on another pair in the second before the Pointers got back on the board with their second of the game. An empty netter in the final minute would put this one away, keeping Warroad's hopes of repeating alive.

Board footera