Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/09/2020 6:02 pm  #91

Re: AltHL - Owner Draft and Beyond

The building above is the Wellfields Center, the arena built to replace the aging Martins Coliseum (used since 1979), and to host the Toronto Terriers from the first post-merger AltHL season (2010, I think) and onward. When you first pull up to the building, which is on the site of Scotiabank Center IOT, You will notice that it is essentially a modern stadium in a Victorian-style frame, a design Rick chose to emulate the nearby Hockey Hall of Fame. There are also two marble Jack Russell Terrier dog statues lining the entrance, and a massive screen nearby for fans to watch games outside.

Once you get inside, the stadium’s halls are lined with massive pillars, and stretches of wall are painted with murals by local street artists to create an atmosphere of Victorian charm meets urban culture. The arena capacity is relatively small, about 17,000, but that just makes it easier for the die-hard “Kennel Crew” fanbase to sell out the place. The stands are often covered in red and blue, with fans wearing dog catcher uniforms, face paint, dog collars, dog ears, fake tails, and sometimes even fursuits (“We are kind of popular among Ontario’s furry fandom, for some reason.”, Rick said in a recent interview.) The stadium sponsor is an app Rick’s company owns, Wellfields, which predicts the rise and fall of stocks to help investors make important decisions.

Last edited by ThisIsFine (4/10/2020 1:25 pm)

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

4/09/2020 6:02 pm  #92

JamHeronArk wrote:

Built in the early 1980s as a replacement for the aging Stampede Corral, Calgary Gardens is unique among hockey venues, as it is outdoors. Its multipurpose nature means that it can host almost every conceivable sport. The stadium is filled with burnt orange on game nights, with a surprisingly large percentage of the crowd wearing 10-gallon hats to boot. The western aura is embraced here, where the prairie meets the mountains.

Holy maintenance cost.

Did some digging

According to Ice Rink Events (the main supplier of seasonal ice rinks in North America), the cost to install an 85′ x 200′ ice rink would be in the neighborhood of $850,000, including $150,000 for a refrigeration unit that will ensure quality ice for the players.

Organizers are basically paying several hundred thousand dollars for the first minute of ice, and then 50 cents for each subsequent minute of use.

Based on this, check out these numbers.
6 months (lets just say this is the season)
30 days per (We will call 30 even)
24 hours
60 mins per
.50 a minute

So quick math says 263,000 minutes in 6 months x $0.50 = $131,500

That is just to keep the ice being ice, based on what it takes in the winter. (I’m sure that .50 goes up real quick with every tick above freezing temp)
Compare that to 4,000 a month that you’d see at your local rink.

This also doesn’t include actual maintenance and labor.
Or how many times you plan to melt and start up that bad boy a year. You don’t have to for basketball, but the stadium wouldn’t make sense without football, soccer or baseball which would have problems just trying to cover an ice surface fully frozen for their games.

That would make the melting and freezing again at least happen 9 times a year (Based off Calgary Stampede sharing the stadium)

And here’s the kicker. It’s very unlikely the Wranglers own that stadium. So imagine that rent.

My point? I have none I just thought my useless research shouldn’t go completely useless. Please consider a dome though haha!

Last edited by Thehealthiestscratch (4/09/2020 6:46 pm)

4/09/2020 7:10 pm  #93

The Racers will be taking a home in the Earnhardt Memorial Arena, also known as The Ice Garage. Built in 2008, replacing the old Charlotte Forum, named after the late Dale Earnhardt, it’s known for having eclectic pieces of both hockey and racing memorabilia adorned around the concourse and it’s garage door entrances, including mini banners of retired numbers for fan photos. The signature restaurant is the Three Wide BBQ Pit and Bar, home of The Big One BBQ Sandwich. At ice level, it’s home to the famed “Section 3”. They’re known for coming to each home game dressed in Dale’s black, silver and red, and bring the noise to cheer on the Racers. Alongside the retired number and championship banners sits one different banner, one that holds the only number honored by the team for someone who never stepped foot onto the ice, in his GM Goodwrench colors, number 3 himself. The fan base is known as The Pit Crew, as they give the players the fuel and fire they need to play well for them. A new scoreboard was installed prior to the 2020 season by the same people who put the Bristol Motor Speedway video board up.

Last edited by ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth (4/09/2020 7:13 pm)

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

4/09/2020 7:52 pm  #94

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

JamHeronArk wrote:

Built in the early 1980s as a replacement for the aging Stampede Corral, Calgary Gardens is unique among hockey venues, as it is outdoors. Its multipurpose nature means that it can host almost every conceivable sport. The stadium is filled with burnt orange on game nights, with a surprisingly large percentage of the crowd wearing 10-gallon hats to boot. The western aura is embraced here, where the prairie meets the mountains.

Holy maintenance cost.

Did some digging

According to Ice Rink Events (the main supplier of seasonal ice rinks in North America), the cost to install an 85′ x 200′ ice rink would be in the neighborhood of $850,000, including $150,000 for a refrigeration unit that will ensure quality ice for the players.

Organizers are basically paying several hundred thousand dollars for the first minute of ice, and then 50 cents for each subsequent minute of use.

Based on this, check out these numbers.
6 months (lets just say this is the season)
30 days per (We will call 30 even)
24 hours
60 mins per
.50 a minute

So quick math says 263,000 minutes in 6 months x $0.50 = $131,500

That is just to keep the ice being ice, based on what it takes in the winter. (I’m sure that .50 goes up real quick with every tick above freezing temp)
Compare that to 4,000 a month that you’d see at your local rink.

This also doesn’t include actual maintenance and labor.
Or how many times you plan to melt and start up that bad boy a year. You don’t have to for basketball, but the stadium wouldn’t make sense without football, soccer or baseball which would have problems just trying to cover an ice surface fully frozen for their games.

That would make the melting and freezing again at least happen 9 times a year (Based off Calgary Stampede sharing the stadium)

And here’s the kicker. It’s very unlikely the Wranglers own that stadium. So imagine that rent.

My point? I have none I just thought my useless research shouldn’t go completely useless. Please consider a dome though haha!

Never before have I seen so much time put into proving how unrealistic something is.

4/09/2020 7:59 pm  #95

The Twin Cities Ice Garden or "TC Garden" as it more commonly referred to as is a 19,000 seat arena in downtown Minneapolis that was built in 1974 but has been expanded and renovated numerous times. The Garden has a classic hockey feel, and it is almost collegiate feeling on game days with fans often chanting and drinking throughout. Much like college hockey or European soccer, there is a supporters section of season ticket holders which sits in the 3 sections right behind the boards on the side the Loons shoot on twice per game. The section is made up of the "Loonatics" who are known for their not very Minnesota Nice chants.

The Garden is a party on game days with fans often having one or two too many to drink, making the Garden a very hostile environment for visitors. Games at the TC Garden are known for the singing of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" prior to the team taking the ice for the third, and the arena breaking into a slow clap style "Sieve" chant after every home goal while pointing with their arm at the visiting goalie in a similar way to the tomahawk chop.

As for the decor of the arena, the inside is pretty simple with few frills. It is a fairly standard in the concorse besides the limestone walls which are also seen from inside the arena seperating sections.

Last edited by Section30 (4/09/2020 8:06 pm)

4/09/2020 8:54 pm  #96

ThisIsFine wrote:

Never before have I seen so much time put into proving how unrealistic something is.

I am an accountant by day, this was more a fascinating scenario rather than proving a point. I wanted to see if I could wrap my brain around the numbers and it ended up down a rabbit hole. Just thought I should share my findings just if anyone else had a similar curiosity with numbers like they do with sports design and fiction. I’m all for it!

Hell, I want the Lumberyard to be just as non traditional. More like a basketball game that is testing the waters of college party (a Project X, if you will). Loud, modern rap and house music with so much bass fans can feel it in their bones. This will not be a civilized event, it will be chaos with some hockey in the background!

That being said, here is some music.

Warmups - Just run what any NBA team does for their warmup, but at full volume. Just an ample amount of Drake, Migos, Travis Scott, DaBaby and whatever else fits.

Intro/Skate Out - 50/50 usage of  “Split” by Tiesto or “Bring Em Out” by TI

Goal - That deep San Jose Sharks goal horn paired with their new concept of letting players choose their own goal song. It is their job to get the crowd buzzin so they better choose with some strategy.

Big Moments - “Beat Dat Beat” by DJ Pauly D

Win - “Higher” by Creed

Loss - “Tiny Dancer” by Elton John

And everything in between is just loud party music. The goal is to make someone leave the game confused, asking themselves, “What the hell did I just experience?”

Last edited by Thehealthiestscratch (4/09/2020 8:59 pm)

4/09/2020 9:07 pm  #97

Gonna ask real quick, is there a way that we can access all the logo files of our team? I'm gonna make an arena graphic but I want a high quality logo for the image.

4/09/2020 9:08 pm  #98

4/09/2020 9:51 pm  #99

Anyone else have sponsored arenas?

4/09/2020 10:17 pm  #100

For the Los Angeles Titans, I present to you...

Corporate Bank Arena (no pictures because there are no pictures that exist, that would show what I'm describing.  Also, I'm lazy)

This is a new, state of the art, arena with the most ambitious plan in sports history.   With growing concerns about corporate greed, lack of space in LA, and the effects on the environment by destroying many acres of natural forests to build steel and concrete arenas, (which includes the act of... pay(ing) paradise to put up a parking lot....yes there's a reference there), the city of Los Angeles held a group-think styled meeting with owner Stickman and other Los Angeles based owners to come up with a plan to create one ultimate stadium that could house all major sports in one location.   Despite Stickman's concerns that the cost amount to be able to house 5 different sports in one arena would be too astronomical for the owners to be profitable, (right now, he wishes he had Miles around to help present his case, as Stickman is no linguist), the city would not help him fund the arena until he consented to this arrangement, (and also until he agreed to contribute to multiple social justice plans, which never went public).  To cover the cost of the ambitious stadium, Stickman convinced a buddy of his at Corporate Bank (a national banking institution) to help him fund the arena, (hence the name).

The stadium itself is unique for it's "Roller Floor" technology, which involves a rotating device that can change the flooring of the stadium to accommodate any sport, (from hardwood to grass to the concrete used as a foundation to a ice hockey rink).  The cost was indeed astronomical to both owners and city of LA, but it does work.   It can house 85,000 people, though it usually doesn't fill up unless a team is a contender, (which is a real problem for the Titans, as hockey is already not the most popular sport in L.A.).  However, when a team is good, the fans will come.  Being in L.A. means that celebrities are a fairly common sight.  In 2020, notable sightings included Kitty Purry, The Weekday, and Gentleman Googoo, though many more show up, (when the team is a winner of course).  

A major downside to this stadium style is that the 5 teams have very different identities, (the Titans from hockey, the Grizzlies from football, the Suns from baseball, the Aliens from soccer, and the Grapes from baskeball).   This means that the stadium had to have a very generic look to it so that all 5 teams could look like they belong here.  This resulted in Corporate Bank Arena often being considered the most indistinguishable stadium in North America.  None the less, with 6 bars, countless food vendors (from meat-a-tarian, to vegetarian, to the weird vegan styled.... substances), and many attractions, Corporate Bank Arena is at least a go to place even if the team is bad!

Board footera