Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/13/2023 3:26 pm  #21

Re: Unconventional Wπ–Žs𝖉o𝖒

I don't mind the direction but I think my biggest problem right now is how the sax looks, on its own and with the script. I can't decide if it is over simplified, needs thicker outline strokes or needs to lean more towards the "J" part of the idea instead of the sax part. When it is with the script, the chest looks unbalanced. Either the sax needs to be thicker or the script needs to be thinner.Β 

12/15/2023 3:37 pm  #22

Dan O'Mac wrote:

I don't care of the white set at all.

What is this, the Pittsburgh Hammers?

Kidding aside, I'm not a huge fan of the white set either, but I wanted to both keep the spirit of the original jerseys intact and showcase the full-color sax, so that's how it ended up, but it still doesn't work very well. I do think the white helps the color scheme a lot, though, so I do like it from that aspect. Speaking of the sax:

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

I don't mind the direction but I think my biggest problem right now is how the sax looks, on its own and with the script. I can't decide if it is over simplified, needs thicker outline strokes or needs to lean more towards the "J" part of the idea instead of the sax part. When it is with the script, the chest looks unbalanced. Either the sax needs to be thicker or the script needs to be thinner.Β 

I don't know that I agree, but I do see where you're coming from. I think it works better in a three color version (which you can see here, on white, as well as the two more hypothetical examples on the right on yellow and black) than the one-color version I used on the uniforms. I made up a version of the uniforms with a lot more white involved, but decided that it was too much of a departure from the original look.

I did take a shot at beefing up the sax a bit, which you can see here (old on top, new on the bottom):

I thickened up basically everything above the elbow, except for the keys, which have been slightly shrunk to make the neck, the stem of the J, thicker. I do think it's an improvement, so I guess I've come around on this. Let me know if you want to see these on the uniforms (either the ones I've already posted and/or the alternate take I mentioned earlier).

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url]Β ||Β [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

3/18/2024 11:49 pm  #23

We're back! We never left! But also, we're back!

The fine* folks** over at sportslogos.netΒ recently held a uniform redesign contest for the Texans, and I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring. I didn't make the cutΒ for the site, but with the team unveiling a new set of uniforms today, I figured what better time to show mine off?

TBH I'm not quite sure how this fits with the theme of this series - it's not like Houston has a particularly bad set of uniforms, and I don't think I've necessarily fixed anything. That said, it's not that I don't have a point here. When the Texans unveiled their Battle Red alternate helmets this past year, I saw a lot of people praising them for having a unique look. The thing is, they're right - no team with a navy primary jersey wears a red helmet - but the reverse is also true: no team with a navy helmet wears a red primary jersey. Personally, dark helmet/medium jersey/white pants is just about my favorite genre of football uniform, and it's one the Texans already look great in, so I've decided to right that "wrong" and make blue/red/white their primary look.

Quick note about the contest rules: they wanted four jerseys and light blue, neither of which is a thing I would have normally done, so I'm showing you the set I sent into the contest, and then one with what I would've done in a vacuum:

Here's the graphic I sent to the contest. Like the actual uniforms, I went with a bull horn motif on the sleeves, but mine is slightly more abstract. (It also serves as a really nice frame for the Nike swoosh, so I thought there was a chance I was onto something here πŸ˜‚) I also gave them red pants, but not navy ones, because one pair of dark pants is pushing it already. The light blue is used sparingly - outside of the Color Rush jersey, that is - to keep as much of the Texans identity as possible without just reverting to the Oilers (I tried to stay away from that on the fourth as well; longtime readers will note that I don't like the Oilers look anyway). I also added a more Western font, which is just the Toledo Mud Hens/Arizona Thunderbirds font because I didn't want to download a new font for this, sue me

The alternate take is pretty similar, but I think the striping looks a lot better with the white in place of the Luv Ya, especially on red:

Please feed my ego and tell me these jerseys should've won the contest! I'll be back with more NDL stuff by October :​)

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url]Β ||Β [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

Board footera