Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/14/2024 6:50 pm  #981

Re: Torland Hockey League: THL 2.0

squeeb wrote:

First post on here, and I have to give you some props. Your graphic design work is seriously on another level. Top shelf stuff.

Thank you, I appreciate that! Welcome to the series and boards!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

2/14/2024 6:55 pm  #982

Narva Neptunes

About the Team: The Neptunes have one of the league's more interesting and circuitous histories, often a source of materiel in Torland hockey trivia. Formed in 1960 by Bernard Willard, they began as the first iteration of the Kirlow Kodiaks, lasting just a single season and only winning three games at the decrepit Delba Arena before moving to Willard's hometown of Lecayne to become the first iteration of the Saints. They lasted four seasons at the Fountain Center with little success until Willard sold the team and took a position as league commissioner instead. New owner Harlan Durant finalized the purchase in 1965 and moved the team to Narva where he renamed them the Neptunes. They won a pair of championships in the mid-70's. Durant downsized his business ventures in 1981 and sold the team to Tony Blackwood. The Neptunes are known to have a passionate fan base and a boisterous, fast-paced style. The Neptunes are set to join the Elam Division after previously being assigned to the Hatch Division.

Ownership and Management: The team is owned by racing legend Tony Blackwood of Blackwood Motorsports who purchased the team in 1981. Blackwood owns several teams across several leagues and sports and is considered an energetic and active owner, a natural on camera and with the media, and relentless in trying to grow and build his franchises.

The Neptunes are coached by THL legend Byron Peachey who is going into his 25th consecutive season, having held the role since 1968, which is a league record. Peachey led the team to two championships and won Best Coach in 1970, along with four All-Silver awards. Peachey also held GM duties until the league mandate in 1973 when Vern Perreault was installed as the team GM, a role he has continued to hold. Longtime assistant Tom Dobbins has been with the team since 1975, making the Neptunes' staff the most experienced in the league.

City and Arena: The Neptunes play at the popular Crown City Center, an intimate downtown barn that the team has called home since 1965. The fan experience at The Crown has often been considered one of the best in the league, even if the ice conditions can be spotty. Crown City Square is home to tons of local businesses and night clubs which is tied into the local university culture at Robinette. Narva has been a center for higher education, with similarities to Harvard and Yale.

Team Brand and Identity: The Neptunes return the infamous 1981 Dead Ned logo but change their color scheme to a darker nearly-black green, called Deep Sea, and a much brighter cornflower blue with purple hues called Neon Ocean which embraces some early trends of the new decade. Some of the classic Narva elements remain but have been adapted to fit the new jersey template, such as the wide stripes with inset TV numbers, unique jersey number style, and wide double hem stripes. Added are ghost yokes with the away jersey yoke being filled. The collars are in neon. The breezers feature a single wide stripe.

Roster Breakdown

Top Three Players

Alex Kirkland, center, 29
Kevin Kozlosky, right wing, 18 (rookie)
August Goulet, defenseman, 26

Forwards: The squad is now led by former Killers legend and 1984 Finals MVP Alex Kirkland, who signed a 3-year deal as a free agent in the offseason. Kirkland is a masterful center with some of the best hands in the game. He'll line with 1st-Overall draft pick Kevin Kozlosky, who gained fame leading the Torland National Team in the Olympics and will be an immediate starter on the wing along with young rising Norris Locklear. The second line is centered by Mike Mott, a tough 24-year-old with immense talent. Veteran winger Ward Skipper and the versatile Marvin Patrick fill the wings on a potent second unit. Aging team captain Luke Wisniewski, 36, still heads a capable third line with Jeremy Lohmeyer and Allen Luciano. On the fourth line, the only other remaining member of those 70's Cup-winning teams is Andy Fausett, 36, who still has some life left in his legs. Veteran Phil Easley is a tough checking winger along with the developing power forward Kraig Schroeder.

Defensemen: The Neptunes have one of the youngest blue lines in hockey, headed by August Goulet and incoming first round rookie Johnny Kapua for a very talented top pair. A second pair with 22-year-old Romeo Porter, who plays like a seasoned vet, and 20-year-old James Myers shows serious shutdown defense potential. A third pair highlights the excellent work of Narva's prospect pipeline with Shane Francis and Dick McManus, both under 25 and come up through the system to earn their shot.

Goaltenders: The Neptunes have the experienced Elvis Pepper in goal, recently signed from Chasonne. He's a solid league starter at 30 years old and the Neptunes hope he can help stabilize the position. Ken Perler, 29, returns from two seasons down in the minors with more experience to be a backup goaltender with starting capability. Collin Hawks, 27, returns to the system but is a capable spot-starter and backup as well. Jared Slaw is another goalie prospect with potential as a low-level starter.

Three Key Storylines:

• How will the new additions mesh with the rookies? Big free agent signings Kirkland and Pepper signify a willingness to contend from Narva brass but rookie additions in Koslosky and Kapua have a lot to learn very quickly for that to happen.
  • How much longer does Peachey plan to coach? The legend has been coaching in Narva for 25 years but he turns 64 this season, leading some to wonder how much longer he'll be behind the Neptunes bench.
  • How will Blackwood make a splash? The energetic Neptunes' owner Tony Blackwood is used to success and the team has been spotty since he took over in 1981. The feeling is Blackwood is looking for a big coup either via free agency or trade to inject contention into the team.

Future Projection: The Neptunes haven't made the playoffs in several years but big free agent additions, excellent drafting, and a deep farm system bode well for the squad to make a leap soon. A new division in the Elam will be a new challenge but projected weaker division mates might open a path for them.

Marquee Series Sig:

C&C much appreciated! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the new presentation, detailed write-up, new logo and uniforms, anything. Also always happy to answer any questions about teams or Torland!

> In a related Torland matter, visit this thread to see what's happening with the 2024 Torland Presidential Elections and learn how to add your vote!

2/14/2024 7:25 pm  #983

This is the first Narva set I've liked since they came into the league. That neon purple changes what was (in my opinion) a boring and stale brand to one full of life and energy. Not sold on phantom yokes, especially the double phantom on the green set, but on the whole the set is great.

2/14/2024 9:48 pm  #984

weird, I'm not feeling this one anywhere near as much as qcs is. I can see the difference in the colors if I go back and directly compare the two but without doing that I couldn't tell what the difference was. that's not a problem tho I'm just nitpicking what quice said. what I actually don't like about this is all the piping, especially on the home jersey where it's all ghosted. it is very 90s tho, so kudos for realism. I was also never a huge fan of the dead ned logo but it's also perfect, so don't change it. I guess all I'm saying is if a) I was alive in 1992 and b) I lived in torland and c) I already owned a tunes jersey I probably wouldn't buy these, but then again that's 2024 me talking, so who knows anyway keep up the good work and go tuuuuuuuuunes 🔱

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

2/15/2024 7:53 pm  #985

I’m liking all the new looks so far, especially Kurohara (I’m a sucker for black and orange color schemes)

2/16/2024 1:23 pm  #986

I do like the color change, which makes it be with the times, but I have a feeling that they are gonna revert back to the green and light celeste somewhere in the 2000's, though it could make for a perfect retro game jersey or an alternate. It's a neat change for the Neptunes.

That font though, that, looks amazing.

Last edited by GoosetavoMan (2/16/2024 4:02 pm)

Fictional sports league and country fanatic.
If cows were made of grass, would they feed on grass?

2/22/2024 8:54 pm  #987

I had a feeling Narva would garner some drastic responses one way or another! Appreciate all the feedback! Next we head north.

Port Alrene Anchors

About the Team: The Anchors are a founding member of the THL and one of the oldest professional hockey clubs in Torland. The club has existed in various formats since the 1930's but was a premier cornerstone in founding the THL in 1960 under the leadership of Wayne Leyva, who worked closely with founder Rey Marcotte. The Anchors have been a premier team in the league, with their close rivalry with fellow founding members the Portarra Whales being a staple of the league and bringing the most fan interaction league-wide. The Anchors have numerous hall of fame players over the course of their three Marcotte Cup titles (1961, 1966, 1972) and five other Cup appearances. Two league trophies are named after former Anchors players in Gary Wisniewski (Best Forward) and Ferdy Haight (Best Goalie). The Anchors have been a Willard Division member since 1972.

Ownership and Management: The team is owned by Tom Leyva, who took over team operations in 1978 and assumed ownership in 1979 from his father Wayne. Tom's leadership and involvement has been much more passive than his father, leading some fans to question his intentions. A dip in team talent during a rebuilding phase in the 80's has further heightened the frustrations.

General manager Ruben Kidwell was officially hired in 1973 as part of the league mandate but had already been working in the front office for several years, helping engineer the Anchors championship runs in the 70's. He won Best GM in 1978. The Anchors hired Frank Loomis to helm the bench in 1986 and turn the team around. Former Glaciers head coach Wade Rhodes was brought in to assist.

City and Arena: The Anchors play at the iconic Harbor Dome, a gothic brick structure situated on the waterfront in downtown Port Alrene. The venue is small and decidedly outdated, having been constructed in the 1940's, but the Anchors have done a good job of maintaining it and the game day atmosphere is among the best in the league. There are concerns for how much longer it can keep up with modern demands but the history of it will be hard to easily replace.

Team Brand and Identity: The Anchors keep nearly every element from their 1990 set with the PA-Anchor emblem logo and brick and mustard color scheme. The TV numbers are moved from the shoulders to the sleeves and the away jersey now sports a shoulder yoke with a mustard collar as the only minor changes. Both sets feature brick pants with continuous striping in the wide single and two thin double stripe motif featured on the sleeves, mid-hem, and socks. The stripes are inverted on the away with a mustard center and brick outer lines. The bold tall and angular number system features outlines along with the NOBs in a look that pays homage to Port Alrene's rich hockey history.

Roster Breakdown

Top Three Players

Jack Kovak, 33, center
Ed Mackey, 32, defenseman
JoJo Gorka, 27, left wing

Forwards:
 The Anchors have a veteran top unit headed by team captain and hometown boy “Nasty” Jack Kovak, who is still borderline elite at 33 years old. Polish winger JoJo Gorka is a scoring phenom while Clint Komoroski, 28, is a great power forward. The drop-off in talent is drastic though as a second line with veteran centerman Roger Hornick is serviceable but hardly elite with mismatched centers playing wing in Ed Womack and Lionel Horton, both young 22-year-olds. A scrappy third line gives high effort if not much scoring with Dennis Jennings learning center while Jeff Jones and Roby Gregorio bring the speed and forechecking. Rookie David Drace is given the keys to a fourth line with minor league journeymen Wayne Doss and Kenneth Nix.

Defensemen: The blue line for the Anchors is a top-heavy group, headed by a pairing of consummate veteran Ed Mackey and rising young defender Adrian Zientek, 25, who was Best Rookie in '86 and also has won a Blue Collar. A solid second pairing with the Russian shutdown artist Nika Tchaikovski, 25. and the offensively-minded Vinny Lozano, 20, gives the Anchors a lot of flexibility. A couple of young prospects in Donovan Glass and Paul Dursko form a third pair which shows potential if not results.

Goaltenders: The Anchors have historically highly valued the goaltender position and invested a top draft pick into Swedish netminder Felix Engberg, now heading into his third season after developing into a solid starter. The team feels he has All-Star potential and is a franchise cornerstone even if his numbers haven't been elite. The team is rotating between veteran Will Bethel, 33, and Darron Hutchins, 20, as primary backup for Engberg. Both are above average netminders with holes in their games. Longtime steady backup Bo Broadway just turned 34 and seems destined for the minors or retirement.

Three Key Storylines:

• Can Tom Leyva bridge the divide with the fans? The growing discontent from the loyal fans about Leyva's ownership style has begun to impact the bottom line which could cause far-reaching repercussions for the league's oldest team if not dealt with soon.
  • How will Kidwell add more elite talent to a young roster? The Anchors have some solid pieces and lots of young legs but very little elite talent and depth, placing the onus on GM Kidwell to make some moves.
  • Can Frank Loomis make an impact on improving the team into contention? The Anchors hired Loomis and Rhodes to change the trajectory of the team but the results have been mediocre so far, with some unsure if Loomis is the right guy to lead the team.

Future Projection: The Anchors have logged back-to-back playoff appearances showing signs of life from a tough rebuild. The team is young and lacks depth or elite talent but the team hopes to build on small successes and surge back into contention. The future may be soon for the Anchors but lack of depth will cripple their short term ceiling. They'll be on the playoff bubble.

Marquee Series Sig:

C&C much appreciated! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the new presentation, detailed write-up, new logo and uniforms, anything. Also always happy to answer any questions about teams or Torland!

>>> Don't forget! In a related Torland matter, visit this thread to see what's happening with the 2024 Torland Presidential Elections and learn how to add your vote! Still a close race.

2/22/2024 9:51 pm  #988

The Anchors look fantastic! I love the striping and font. Such a great look for them.

2/23/2024 6:22 am  #989

The striping, the striping is what sells it, this makes it one of the best looks from the 1992 rebranding so far, very nice.

Last edited by GoosetavoMan (2/23/2024 6:23 am)

Fictional sports league and country fanatic.
If cows were made of grass, would they feed on grass?

2/23/2024 9:41 am  #990

Anchors looking good! Hopefully they can look good or better when it's time to get on the ice

Board footera