Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/19/2022 3:29 am  #1

World Hockey Association: Redux

World Hockey Association: Redux
An Alternate Reimagining of History by Steelman

[About this Series]

I've long been fascinated by the short-lived World Hockey Association. This series will be a fictional reimagining of how the WHA unfolded and how it could have been more successful if not for major financial troubles and so many teams fluctuating in and out of the league. A few of the nicknames and identities will be borrowed from the real life WHA but it is primarily a fictional series with real life just being a backdrop from which to build a series. Think of it as a starting point with an upstart rival league threatening an NHL that has been stuck in its ways for a long time. I will not be using real life players or people. All people in the series will be fictional except for occasional references to the NHL and national leaders. The main storyline will be about the rival league and its successes and failures as it competes against the NHL.

I will introduce some WHA-inspired storylines but most of this will be fictional and not to be taken literally. I will attempt to follow general trends of sports and the world during the appropriate time periods but I do have my own style and will illustrate why I think teams would do the things they do in my timeline. I will primarily stick to the real-life NHL timeline but I may deviate from reality down the line if it better suits the story. I only bring these points up so you can enjoy the story and not worry about me not being completely factual compared to real life!

[Editor's Note]

I've been flirting with this project for a long time and I've decided to give it a go while I've got so many other projects going on. The THL and PUCH are on temporary hiatus while I figure things out for both series, but by no means is either series dead. I actually have a ton of new stuff for the THL but it requires a full overhaul of all my templates. I still love PUCH (and you'll never believe who won the first championship...) and I'm looking forward to bringing it back soon but for now with my life and work schedule I believe this WHA: Redux series will allow me to continue doing a hockey series while being less time consuming than other projects. I will allow prospect submission in the future and will announce when I've got that set up.

[Series Links and Docs]

WHA Redux Prospects
- WHA Redux Rosters -

[League Introduction]

The story begins in 1972...

Up next: Introducing the WHA backstory

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

10/19/2022 4:17 am  #2

Re: World Hockey Association: Redux

I wonder how would you deal with the surviving teams that jumped ship to the NHL. Would the WHA let it happen or would they staunchly block them?

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

10/19/2022 8:46 am  #3

FC Macbeth wrote:

I wonder how would you deal with the surviving teams that jumped ship to the NHL. Would the WHA let it happen or would they staunchly block them?

That would be a big point. Them jumping and the WHA attempting to survive after that is a neat story, but on the other hand, why would the be left to leave if the league was going to be surviving? Likely that'll be Steel's first big point to work through.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

10/19/2022 12:44 pm  #4

I love a classic alternate reality. This area of NHL history is certainly one of the most interesting ones, and I am pumped to see where this series will go!

10/19/2022 11:17 pm  #5

The WHA does have a few iconic teams in it's ranks so it'll be interesting to see what comes from the league.

10/19/2022 11:20 pm  #6

Now the real question is will Charlotte get a team????

But for real, glad to have you back and I'm looking forward to your take on the WHA. I've always had a soft spot for some of those teams (especially the Stingers) so hopefully they stick around for the long term.

10/20/2022 1:54 am  #7

Excited to see how the league develops, hope that the Nordiques will be a big part of this project.

Last edited by Kingsfan11 (10/20/2022 1:55 am)

10/20/2022 10:39 pm  #8

It would be nice if San Diego can get a team. Even if just for a couple years.

10/20/2022 10:58 pm  #9

NeoPrankster wrote:

IRL, San Diego did have a team in the WHA called the Mariners who played from 1974 to 1977. Heck, Phoenix had a team, the Roadrunners (my dad used to go to games in fact). Hoping Portland could get a team ITTL along with Phoenix. 

10/20/2022 11:05 pm  #10

Rugrat wrote:

NeoPrankster wrote:

IRL, San Diego did have a team in the WHA called the Mariners who played from 1974 to 1977. Heck, Phoenix had a team, the Roadrunners (my dad used to go to games in fact). Hoping Portland could get a team ITTL along with Phoenix. 

Just curious, are you WB18 on the AH forums?

Board footera