Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/01/2022 6:14 pm  #1

The Backyard Sports Games: Who Would Represent?

If you remember the Backyard Sports games, your childhood was awesome. But what if we brought the Backyard Sports titles to the present year? Who would fill the slate of professionals to become kids? Let’s hear some opinions, I’ll bring my Backyard Hockey opinions, one pro from each team.

ANA: Trevor Zegras (unreal ability, dazzling play style)
ARZ: Phil Kessel (hot dog man has to make it)
BOS: Brad Marchand (people may not like him, but he has a very marketable personality)
BUF: Tage Thompson (no real knowledge on the Sabres tbh, probably for the better)
CGY: Matthew Tkachuk (put both Tkachuk brothers in, would be excellent)
CAR: Andrei Svechnikov (he brought the lacrosse goal into the league, I’d say it’s deserved)
CHI: Marc-Andre Fleury (who doesn’t love Flower?)
CBJ: Patrik Laine (good player, loves his video games, a pretty nice fit)
COL: Cale Makar (need some good defensemen in the game, and a lot of kale jokes to be had)
DAL: Miro Heiskanen (big active energy on defense, I’d like to see him)
DET: Moritz Seider (rookie with an incredible showing, market the young bucks)
EDM: Connor McDavid (sucks I’m limiting to one per team, wish I had Draisaitl as well)
FLA: Sergei Bobrovsky (the number one cop on the force)
LAK: Drew Doughty (veteran playing like he’s in his prime, I’d say yes)
MIN: Kirill Kaprizov (with how explosively good he is, it would be a good pick)
MTL: Carey Price (sometimes a familiar face is a good thing for a video game)
NSH: Roman Josi (bias being a huge Josi stan, fight me)
NJD: PK Subban (slew foots aside, a huge personality of his kind should be here)
NYI: Matt Barzal (I would argue Barzal is the star of a team that doesn’t have a huge star)
NYR: Artemi Panarin (gotta market the fresh bread baybee)
OTT: Brady Tkachuk (gotta get both bros out there)
PHI: Claude Giroux (the team’s star, a stalwart, can’t get much better credentials)
PIT: Sidney Crosby (I want Malkin in too, but the one per team rule strikes)
SJS: Erik Karlsson (that flow and that skill though)
SEA: Jordan Eberle (I’d say probably the best of the Kraken so far, do correct me if I’m wrong)
STL: Ville Husso (another goalie, less psychotic than Binner)
TBL: Nikita Kucherov (one of the most impressive playmakers in the league)
TOR: Austin Matthews (AM34 had to be here somewhere)
VAN: Thatcher Demko (beastly goalie that has basically carried the Canucks as of late)
VGK: Mark Stone (just curious to see who could be the guy after Patches)
WSH: Alex Ovechkin (the most marketable forward in the show IMO)
WPG: Neal Pionk (not just because he’s our GOAT, he’s also good at hockey)

Correct me if I’m wrong or share another sport’s picks!

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

3/02/2022 2:12 pm  #2

Re: The Backyard Sports Games: Who Would Represent?

ProsecutorMilesEdgeworth wrote:

If you remember the Backyard Sports games, your childhood was awesome. But what if we brought the Backyard Sports titles to the present year? Who would fill the slate of professionals to become kids? Let’s hear some opinions, I’ll bring my Backyard Hockey opinions, one pro from each team.

ANA: Trevor Zegras (unreal ability, dazzling play style)
ARZ: Phil Kessel (hot dog man has to make it)
BOS: Brad Marchand (people may not like him, but he has a very marketable personality)
BUF: Tage Thompson (no real knowledge on the Sabres tbh, probably for the better)
CGY: Matthew Tkachuk (put both Tkachuk brothers in, would be excellent)
CAR: Andrei Svechnikov (he brought the lacrosse goal into the league, I’d say it’s deserved)
CHI: Marc-Andre Fleury (who doesn’t love Flower?)
CBJ: Patrik Laine (good player, loves his video games, a pretty nice fit)
COL: Cale Makar (need some good defensemen in the game, and a lot of kale jokes to be had)
DAL: Miro Heiskanen (big active energy on defense, I’d like to see him)
DET: Moritz Seider (rookie with an incredible showing, market the young bucks)
EDM: Connor McDavid (sucks I’m limiting to one per team, wish I had Draisaitl as well)
FLA: Sergei Bobrovsky (the number one cop on the force)
LAK: Drew Doughty (veteran playing like he’s in his prime, I’d say yes)
MIN: Kirill Kaprizov (with how explosively good he is, it would be a good pick)
MTL: Carey Price (sometimes a familiar face is a good thing for a video game)
NSH: Roman Josi (bias being a huge Josi stan, fight me)
NJD: PK Subban (slew foots aside, a huge personality of his kind should be here)
NYI: Matt Barzal (I would argue Barzal is the star of a team that doesn’t have a huge star)
NYR: Artemi Panarin (gotta market the fresh bread baybee)
OTT: Brady Tkachuk (gotta get both bros out there)
PHI: Claude Giroux (the team’s star, a stalwart, can’t get much better credentials)
PIT: Sidney Crosby (I want Malkin in too, but the one per team rule strikes)
SJS: Erik Karlsson (that flow and that skill though)
SEA: Jordan Eberle (I’d say probably the best of the Kraken so far, do correct me if I’m wrong)
STL: Ville Husso (another goalie, less psychotic than Binner)
TBL: Nikita Kucherov (one of the most impressive playmakers in the league)
TOR: Austin Matthews (AM34 had to be here somewhere)
VAN: Thatcher Demko (beastly goalie that has basically carried the Canucks as of late)
VGK: Mark Stone (just curious to see who could be the guy after Patches)
WSH: Alex Ovechkin (the most marketable forward in the show IMO)
WPG: Neal Pionk (not just because he’s our GOAT, he’s also good at hockey)

Correct me if I’m wrong or share another sport’s picks!

Looks pretty good, but there are some that are long stretches. There is absolutely no way Husso is the one for St. Louis. Their best, and most exciting option, would be Jordan Kyrou. Other than that BIG one, here's some adjustments that could be debated;
ARZ: Clayton Keller (He is just younger and better than Phil. I will say that they are interchangeable)
BOS: Charlie McAvoy (Primetime chance to highlight a position that is lacking on this list. Marchand is good, but generally hated everywhere besides BOS)
DAL: Joe Pavelski (I'd agree with Heiskanen in a few years, but I don't think kids get excited by a defenseman that doesn't quite have their name in households nationally. Not his fault because he is young, but I don't think he'd fit in when the goal is to make a game that succeeds outside specific regions)
DET: Dylan Larkin (Same point I've made with BOS and DAL. Seider isn't a name that gets the youth buzzing from coast to coast. Larkin is a much safer offer)
FLA: Jonathan Huberdeau (Don't disagree with you, just giving another option. 75 points in 53 games is hard to ignore)
MTL: IDK (Price just doesn't feel right at the moment. He'd still probably make it. The team is so so bad)
NJD: Jack Hughes? (IDK, it counters the criteria I've set, but there isn't many other options. I think PK's reputation hasn't been the best around the league recently. He'd only work if they added a slew foot button in the game)
SJS: Timo Meier (Maybe mine isn't the right answer, but I know Karlsson is the wrong answer. He is outperformed in his own position by a guy who has just as much star power. If not Timo, then its Burns. The +/- is his advantage, and that's not what the target market really cares about)
WPG: Kyle Connor / Hellebuyck (Pionk is "good", but would they really be looking to put a quiet, solid defenseman in the game? Kyle Conner is dominating right now. If not him, I'd go Hellebuyck based on his season-to-season consistency alone. Sure he's had an off year, but he's still doing better than some other goalies you listed)

3/02/2022 2:44 pm  #3

In hindsight, my St. Louis pick was solely based on the fact that Roman Cechmanek and Andrew Raycroft made Backyard games. I will agree that Kyrou should’ve been my choice, but I was going off revisionist history.

Boston I’d definitely agree, and I thought I was getting too many defensemen on here tbh.
Dallas I knew most of the star power doesn’t have a definite good image (most of it is mixed views), I had Seguin there first, actually.
I figured Seider’s a good guess, although my predictions is it will be between him and Lucas Raymond if they continue to thrive.
NJ I wasn’t looking at league rapport, more of the notoriety of the player. Subban is a player even people not into the NHL could identify.
I think Brent Burns could have some wild hair into his child design, and that would probably be what I’d think would be the right pick.
I’ll give Kyle Connor the nod. I picked Pionk because he’d be popular for his name in the game.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

3/02/2022 5:08 pm  #4

I'll take a crack at the NFL going by divisions

BUF: Josh Allen
MIA: Xavien Howard
NE: Matt Judon
NYJ: Corey Davis?

BAL: Lamar Jackson
CIN: Jamarr Chase
CLE: Nick Chubb
PIT: TJ Watt

HOU: Justin Reid
IND: Jonathon Taylor
JAX: Josh Allen
TEN: Derrick Henry

DEN: Bradley Chubb
KC: Patrick Mahomes
LV: Darren Weller
LAC: Joey Bosa

DAL: Micah Parsons
NYG: Saquon Barkley
PHI: Devonta Smith
WSH: Chase Young

CHI: Khalil Mack
DET: TJ Hockenson
GB: Aaron Rodgers
MIN: Justin Jefferson

ATL: Cordarrelle Patterson
CAR: Christian McCaffery
NO: Marshon Lattimore
TB: Devin White

ARI: Kyler Murray
LAR: Aaron Donald
SF: Deebo Samuel
SEA: DK Metcalf

3/05/2022 9:56 pm  #5

ANA: Trevor Zegras (No other option here lmao)
ARZ: Jakob Chychrun (He's an explosive Dman that I hope is as good I think he is)
BOS: Nick Foligno (Sens again, but I want him to have a last hurrah)
BUF: Tage Thompson (you did better than I did lol)
CGY: Matthew Tkachuk (theres no other option)
CAR: Andrei Svechnikov (Could go with Teuvo but Svechnikov is the better option)
CHI: Marc-Andre Fleury (I love him)
CBJ: Elvis Merzlikins (The dude rocks and I want to honour the Kivi story)
COL: Nazem Kadri (Odd choice, but I've always loved the guy, and he rocks)
DAL: Miro Heiskanen (Again, i cant argue)
DET: Moritz Seider (Could argue, but have no one to argue for)
EDM: Connor McDavid (I want to do someone else...but...)
FLA: Alexsander Barkov (With his hands, he needs to show off
LAK: Anze Kopitar (He needs more time to shine)
MIN: Kevin Fiala (Hes better tham hes goven credit for)
MTL: Carey Price (Wanted to say Suzuki, but need a goalie)
NSH: Tanner Jeannot (Guardians GOAT who seems to be pretty awesome)
NJD: MacKenzie Blackwood (Bitbof a wild card for the hell of it)
NYI: Matt Barzal (I have no other option)
NYR: Mika Zibanajad (He never got his proper respect in Ottawa and by then, it was too late)
OTT: Tim Stützle (I could have picked a half dozen, but I see the succesor to Heatley here)
PHI: Carter Hart (The dude just needs the right mentor as backup to reach his potential)
PIT: Evgeni Malkin (Had to)
SJS: Erik Karlsson (Go Sens Go!)
SEA: Yanni Gourde (Just because)
STL: Jordan Kyrou (If the dude cam beat McDavid, f*uck it)
TBL: Victor Hedman (A beast on defrnce that reminds me of Chara)
TOR: Mitch Marner (His passing is so amazing that we need him out there)
VAN: Elias Petterson (I want to see this guy blossom)
VGK: Mark Stone (Go Sens go!)
WSH: Alex Ovechkin (He's always been one of my favorites)
WPG: Connor Hellebyck (No choice there)

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

Board footera