Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/02/2021 5:55 pm  #1021

Re: History of the National Football Association - 1974-75 Season

Rugrat wrote:

Sad to see Cleveland just barely miss going .500 but oh well, maybe next year. Hopefully Seattle can find a way to stay in their city and turn things around. As for the playoffs, Colorado should be able to take care of business against Boston, but the Gaels should be a force in the near future. Atlanta vs Cincinnati could go either way, but I have to go with the hometown team in this one but it should be close. LA vs Houston will also be close and although the Explorers will make it a game, I just can't see the Tigers losing in this one. Finally, Pittsburgh and Detroit. If the Ironmen choke this one, I don't know what to think about them going forward since Detroit is just getting good again.

Edit: Welcome back DP, these next few seasons should be exciting!

I'm glad your still on board and just as excited as I am!

Stickman wrote:

Welcome back!  

This year seems like an interesting one, lots of potential for quite a few teams to be able to make a run.

Atlanta would be quite a shocker, since they've never really been that good of a team until recently, but I think they might be another year away still.   Still much closer than the Seattle Lumberjacks, who might never make it now if they're possibly going to move soon.  Well, they'd eventually make it, but as a different team in a new city.

Realistically, it'll probably be the Cougars and Tigers competing in "Kitty Bowl II", going Tigers for the win this time!

A rerun of the Kitty Bowl is probably a pretty good prediction. Colorado seems unstoppable right now, and with Pittsburgh and Houston's second half struggles, LA is coming out as the favorite in the bottom of the bracket. Atlanta could certainly make a run, but playing both Cincy and then most likely Colorado seems like a big order for the young team. Pittsburgh were the favorites to win it all early in the season, but now their matchup vs Detroit is looking closer then ever. The Ironmen finished the season really rough and probably don't deserve the 2 seed, while Detroit slowly improved all season. It'll be interesting if the Bombers can indeed pull off the upset. What does Pittsburgh do if they do lose? Surely after 4 years of championship potential and nothing to show for it, something has to change.

The first round will be posted tomorrow!

7/03/2021 9:11 pm  #1022

1973-74 NFA Quarterfinals

1973-74 NFA Quarterfinals - Boston Gaels at Colorado Cougars

This was a matchup we don’t get to see too often; the Cougars vs the Gaels. Unfortunately this game wouldn’t be too memorable. QB Lucky Charming would get off to a good start, but would start to fall apart after an interception in the second quarter. Colorado would pull away in the second half, taking the 10-7 halftime score and running it up to a final score of 30-17. Lloyd Brown would throw 2 touchdowns in the rout of the Gaels. The Cougars now have won their first 4 playoff games. 

1973-74 NFA Quarterfinals - Cincinnati Sabres at Atlanta Bulldogs
This was the closest game of the quarterfinals. Both teams housed impressive offenses that gave the crowd at the new MLK Memorial Stadium a show. Each team would score on their opening drive and would continue to exchange blows. Both QB Roy Frazier and QB Skip Anderson would throw multiple touchdowns in the first half, and wouldn’t turn the ball over once. At halftime, each team was already over 20 points. Atlanta would hold a narrow lead over Cincy, 24-21. The second half would start off with RB Cyrus Duffy breaking through for a season high 61 yard touchdown score for Atlanta. But Cincinnati, now down by 10, wouldn’t just roll over. Cincinnati would go on a 14-0 run to finish out the 3rd quarter. It started out on the subsequent drive when Frazier would march the Sabres down the field and RB Doug Reed would punch it in to make it 31-28. Then, immediately after, LB Hugh Barnes would force the first turnover of the game when he sacked QB Skip Andreson and jarred the ball loose. Cincy would fall on it, and not long later turn it into the lead stealing score. Anderson would be slow getting up however, and what was later diagnosed as just having the wind knocked out of him, despite some suspicion from fans, would cause his play to be obviously affected. Anderson would throw a pick on the Bulldogs first drive of the fourth that essentially sealed the game for Atlanta when Cincinnati would throw another 7 on the scoreboard. The final score would be 42-31. Cincinnati would score on 6 of their 7 drives.

1973-74 NFA Quarterfinals - Houston Explorers at Los Angeles Tigers
This game would be synonymous with the Explorers late season woes. In a completely uncharacteristic performance, Houston would get blown out of the water. The first quarter would be scoreless for both teams, but the floodgates would open with 10 minutes left in the second when QB Patrick James found his target 54 yards for the first score of the game. Houston wouldn’t have any answer, or any defense against the Tiger offense. The Tigers would only tack on another field goal before halftime, but in the second half would extend their lead to 17, then 20, then 27, before finishing it at 30. The final score would be 30-0. It’s the first time since the 1958 Washington Pirates that a team failed to score a single point in a postseason game.

1973-74 NFA Quarterfinals - Detroit Bombers at Pittsburgh Ironmen
Upset alert! In a complete shocker of a game, the Bombers would show up to the Steeldome and upset the 2 seeded Ironmen. In line with how the second half of the season would go for them, the Ironmen offense would fail to show up. They’d fail to reach the end zone in the first half, settling for 2 field goal attempts, only one of which would go through the uprights. Meanwhile the Bombers would quickly score 2 touchdowns in the second quarter to make it 14-3 going into half time. The second half would see a bit more life from Pittsburgh, but the hole was already dug. Detroit, led by QB Paul Knight, would score again on the opening drive of the second half, pushing their lead to 18. The Ironmen would finally see the endzone at the end of the third, when they cut the lead to 11, but that’s the closest it would get. The Bombers defense would keep Pittsburgh from scoring the rest of the game while they’d tack on one more field goal for good luck. The final score would be 24-10. 

C&C Appreciated! How close were your predictions? What are your predictions for the semifinals?

Last edited by MyTeamIsDr.Pepper (7/05/2021 4:13 pm)

7/03/2021 9:31 pm  #1023

Great win by the Tigers. Speaking of which, you have Houston advancing to the semis instead of LA in the playoff bracket.

Last edited by Kingsfan11 (7/03/2021 9:36 pm)

7/04/2021 9:14 am  #1024

Oof, ugly game for the Explorers, getting shut out always hurt!   Great statement game for the Tigers though!

Also a big blow to the Ironmen, as like you said earlier, this is 4 years of a championship worthy team falling well short of the title.   Imagining a coaching change will be forth-coming after this loss.  

Nice game between the Sabres and Bulldogs!  

7/04/2021 7:01 pm  #1025

It is quite rare to see a team be able to maintain an unbeaten record in the playoffs for as long as the Cougars have. Quite impressive. Well, I guess my second team can't lose in the playoffs, while my first team can't win in the playoffs...oh well. Let's go Cougars!

7/05/2021 4:26 pm  #1026

Kingsfan11 wrote:

Great win by the Tigers. Speaking of which, you have Houston advancing to the semis instead of LA in the playoff bracket.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm not sure how that slipped by, I've fixed it in the original post.

Stickman wrote:

Oof, ugly game for the Explorers, getting shut out always hurt!   Great statement game for the Tigers though!

Also a big blow to the Ironmen, as like you said earlier, this is 4 years of a championship worthy team falling well short of the title.   Imagining a coaching change will be forth-coming after this loss.  

Nice game between the Sabres and Bulldogs!  

Yeah that Ironmen loss kind of puts a cherry on top of all the frustrations that's been building the past couple postseasons. A two time MVP, having the number one seed twice, and one of the most talented teams in the league, and they haven't even been to a Champions Bowl, still holding on to that 22 year old drought. Something's gotta change.

Wallflower wrote:

It is quite rare to see a team be able to maintain an unbeaten record in the playoffs for as long as the Cougars have. Quite impressive. Well, I guess my second team can't lose in the playoffs, while my first team can't win in the playoffs...oh well. Let's go Cougars!

Glad to see the postseason success finally bringing some fans to the Mile High City. At this rate they're going to have as many postseason wins as the Ox have losses...lol. Fingers crossed that changes soon though, the Ox are on paper one of the strongest teams in the league. It's shocked me they haven't one a playoff game yet.

Here's the semis!

1973-74 NFA Semifinals - Cincinnati Sabres at Colorado Cougars
After surviving the young and upcoming Bulldogs in a shootout in Atlanta, the Sabres showed up to Colorado and were seemingly all out of gas. This game wouldn’t be near as exciting. Cincinnati came out of the gates sluggish and turned the ball over 3 times in the first half. This resulted in a looming half time score of 24-7 as QB Lloyd Brown had already begun to heat up for the Cougars. The second half would go better for Cincinnati. They’d start to make a dent into the lead and would keep Colorado scoreless in the third quarter. They reached the red zone twice, coming up with 10 points to drop the deficit to only a score. But just as fast as the comeback started, it ended. It felt like you could feel the Sabres motivation pop like a balloon as they watched Colorado storm back down the field on their first drive of the 4th quarter. They’d push their lead back past double digits where it would stay the rest of the afternoon. The Sabres would attempt to get back down the field but would be stopped short twice. The final score was 31-17.

1973-74 NFA Semifinals - Detroit Bombers at Los Angeles Tigers
With Colorado having handled Cincinnati, fans turned to this game looking to see if the Tigers could take down the upset Bombers and be rewarded with a rematch against their division rivals in the Champions Bowl. Fans were delighted when this game ended up being more exciting then the latter. Surprisingly for two offensively talented teams, this game would be low scoring. Neither team would score in the first quarter, and the half time score would be both teams tied at 6, after both missed their extra points, thanks to some wild wind. In fact the wind became an obvious challenge for both teams as it further picked up in the second half. The Tigers would take a narrow 13-6 lead midway through the third when QB Patrick James trotted into the endzone for his first of the game, but it would last long. The Bombers would retaliate with a score of their own, tying the ball game once again. On the following drive Detroit would turn the tables when, aided by the wind, a pass from James came up a bit short for LA, being easily intercepted by a Detroit defender. The Tigers defense would try and minimize the damage, but the Bombers got close enough to where they narrowly stitched 3 more points on the board, taking the lead. Los Angeles would struggle to be able to retaliate, but would finally get their chance thanks to an interception of their own late in the fourth quarter. James would lead them down the field, but the Tigers would be stopped. They were well into field goal range, however they originally lined up to go for it. It was 4th and 3, they could try, but a last second timeout changed their mind and they sent the kicking team on. It was only 30 yards but the wind had steadily grown, and the Bombers had only barely notched in their 10 yarder earlier on. With just over a minute left on the clock the ball was snapped and the kick was up. It looked good at first but started to pull right, it kept pulling right until it was too far. The kick was no good. The Tigers attempted the stop the Bombers before time ran out, but with no timeouts left their attempts were of no use. The cinderella Bombers would advance to their 3rd Champions Bowl, this time a date with the Cougars. The final score was 16-13.

C&C Appreciated! What about this Bombers cinderella run? Will it be enough to take down the heavyweight Cougars? Or do the Cougars have it in them to become just the third team to repeat as Champions Bowl victors? Let me hear your predictions and commentary!

7/05/2021 5:33 pm  #1027

What a run by Detroit. The Champions Bowl should be a good game!

7/05/2021 5:35 pm  #1028

Repeat, or we have ourselves a team that bombed the favorites to be here? Interesting, I hope it’s a good one.

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

7/05/2021 7:22 pm  #1029

It'd be quite the story for the Bombers if they were to win it, although I suspect that the Cougars are going to repeat here.  Let's go with a 31-24 score!

7/06/2021 2:41 pm  #1030

Surprised Detroit has gone this far and as much as I want then to win, I think the Cougars are to much. Colorado wins 28-21

Board footera