Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/22/2020 11:05 pm  #1

NASCAR Alcada Series (Hand Drawn)

So I guess I’m gonna try and start a thing here. It’s been in the works for a while, but it’s just been a matter of getting everything to the point that I’m confident enough to start it up. Long story short, I’m working on creating an entire fictional sports universe. So far, just the NASCAR and football league are complete enough to post, with the baseball league and an open-wheel racing series beginning to be worked on. Basketball is also a long-term goal, with hockey and soccer possible, but unlikely due to the fact that my knowledge about those two is very limited. But what may or may not happen down the line doesn’t matter, what matters is what I have ready now, and that is the NASCAR Alcada Series. To start out though, I’m just going to go over some basic background information covering things like where this is, how things will be ran and scored, etc.

Medium:
Since some people will undoubtedly care about this, I feel that I should make it clear from the start that this is hand drawn and I have no intentions of ever moving to a digital form. Personally, I just feel more attatched to the artwork if I do it by hand, and doing illustrations on a computer is just not something I enjoy, so if you don’t want to look at hand drawn, pencil and paper images then I am sorry, but it’s just a personal preference. I understand if you don’t like it, but I also don’t really care and I’m not gonna change soooo…. oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Something to note that I really don’t know how to give a proper heading:
As a result of the previous point, getting work done takes time. That’s just how it is with hand drawn work. So….. I’ve worked ahead. By like a lot. As in even though I haven’t even posted race one of the first season yet, I’m currently doing drawings/have the results for the first quarter of season 3. This means that if you guys don’t like certain aspects of the series, change will take literal years of in-universe time (almost like real NASCAR responding to fan complaints….).

This all takes place in the fictional country of Alcada, a medium sized island/continent/country in the Atlantic Ocean. Why the name Alcada? Because that’s what a random name generator said. The “in-story” origin is that the country was named after a prominent native tribe in the area, the Cadagadi. I have some loose ideas of the history of the country, but nothing too in-depth, plus, this is for the sports history aspect, not the history of the world itself.

Does a new country change anything from our history?
For simplicity’s sake, no. While I won’t make many references to real history, as that isn’t the point of this, just for the sake of keeping things from getting too complicated I won’t change real history. The NFL, MLB, Coke, Walmart, and anything else you can think of still exist in the same way they do in real life, with the same notable people/leaders/celebrities.

When does this take place?
Uhhhh, sometime….. I started the basics of this project in late 2018, with the idea that made it would be starting in 2015, but over the course of this time I have, sometimes intentionally, sometimes unintentionally, drifted off of this. For statistical purposes and to keep those of you who like a set timeline happy, we’ll consider the first season to be in the year 2018, but just a heads up, real-life corporate logos may be slightly off as those were updated as the branding changed in real time.

In-world background on the NASCAR Alcada Series:
Alcada has had a long racing history, dating back into the 50s, but the structure had always been very loose, with multiple sanctioning bodies and several series claiming to be the top stock-car racing series in the country. Over time, several of these series would merge, but even into the modern era, there were still 3 major series claiming the top spot, those being the National Stock Car Association, the Alcada Racing League, and the Aclada Stock Car Racers Association. However, In the middle of last season, NASCAR stepped in, purchasing the ARL and ASCR before negotiating a merger with the NSCA to create one distinct top series in the country. Heading into this season, the formerly three series will now race as one under the NASCAR Alcada Series, with plans to add a separate developmental series the following year, should the resources become available.

Sponsors:
Sponsorship is a mix of real-world companies and several made-up ones. Simple enough.

The cars:
Currently, there are 4 manufacturers represented, those being Chevrolet with the Camaro, Ford with the Mustang, Toyota with the Supra, and Dodge with the Charger. However, after this season, Honda will join as a 5th manufacturer with the Accord, and other manufacturers have been rumored to be interested (Fun fact: in this reality, Pontiac never folded. Do with this information what you will). The design of the cars are based heavily on NASCAR’s current Gen-6 (because I use them as reference pics) with tweaks that make them look closer to their street counterparts. I’m no aerodynamic genius, so what aero package they have is kinda ambiguous. Let’s just say it’s a high horsepower package that allows drivers to showcase their talent with minimal aerodynamic dependency.

Points and determining a champion:
In races 1-20, points are as follows:
-Positions 26-30: 1 point
-Positions 23-25: 2 points
-Positions 21-22: 3 points
-Positions 2-20: 20th gets 4 points and every position increases by 1 point through second (22 points)
-Winner gets 25 points
One bonus point is given for leading a lap, a second bonus point is given to the driver(s) who leads the most laps.
Max points: 27

Races 21-30 Points do NOT reset, but the races have increased points to incentivize performing down the stretch and potentially allow for larger deficits to be overcome. (It’s a bit gimmick-y, but at least it’s not a stupid playoff)
-Positions 26-30: 1 point
-Positions 23-25: 3 points
-Positions 21-22: 5 points
-20th: 6 Points
-19th: 8 points
-Positions 2-18: 18th gets 9 point and every position increases by 2 points through second (41 points)
-Winner gets 45 points
Two bonus points are given for leading a lap, two more bonus points are given to the driver(s) who leads the most laps
Max points: 49

How the results are determined (by me):
First off, I start by breaking things down by track type, and what skills impact those tracks most (i.e. a short track is going to emphasize braking while a superspeedway is more dependent on drafting). Each driver is given a rating on a 1-5 scale for each of the following: drafting, car control, braking, dirt abilities, and road course abilities. In addition to that, each individual team is rated from 1-5 in the following: top speed, acceleration, and aerodynamics. Each track’s required skills are then selected and placed into the formula that is used for the random draw to determine the results.

Tracks:
I’ll list the tracks on the inaugural schedule here with some quick descriptions and a similar real-life counterpart. Other tracks may be added in future schedules and will be described as they join. Disclaimer: all track names were auto generated, any similarities to real life track names are unintentional.

Short tracks:

-Lakeview Speedway. Half a mile with 28-34 degrees progressive banking. Heavily inspired by Bristol

-Yutan Speedway. Just under a mile at nine tenths, 18 degrees of banking in the turns with 12 degrees in the short chutes. Kind of a short track Indy, but way more banking.

-Greenville Motor Speedway. Eight tenths of a mile with asymmetric turns, turns 1-2 have 18 degrees of banking while 3-4 have 24 degrees. A bit of a higher-banked Phoenix with the dogleg stretch being merged into turn 3, I guess?

-Coleman Raceway. 0.54 miles with 14 degree banked turns and a double pit road. Martinsville is the clear inspiration.

-Jackson Bull Ring. A quarter mile bull ring with 14-18 degrees of progressive banking in the turns. Based on all the bull rings throughout the country, and Dodge Raceway Stadium from the old EA NASCAR games.

-Stratford Dirt Track. A 0.6 mile dirt track with 17 degrees of banking.

-Mason Motorplex. A 0.64 mile triangle. Turn 1 has 25 degrees of banking, turn 2 has 23, and turn 3 has 31. Based on a track from the old EA NASCAR games with higher banking.

-Hartford Raceway. A three quarter mile D shaped oval with 24 degrees in the turns and 14 on the front stretch. Richmond/Iowa were the main inspiration, but the straights are a bit shorter/turns are wider

Intermediate tracks:

-Bradson Motor Speedway. A 1.46 mile oval with 20-25 degree progressive banking. Similar to Homestead.

-Martison Raceway. A one mile oval with 26 degrees of banking in the turns and 9 degrees in the straights. Kinda like Dover.

-Lynchport International Raceway. A 2 mile Indianapolis.

-Hartford Motor Speedway. 1.74 miles with 18-22 degrees of banking in the turns and no true straightaways. A hybrid of Chicagoland, Michigan, and Fontana.

-Cormada Speedway. A 1.5 miler with 18-23 degrees of banking.

-Rayleigh Speedway. A 1.3 mile flat quad-oval banked at just 13 degrees in the turns. A Nashville Superspeedway/Charlotte/Atlanta crossover.

-Natford Speedway. 1.5 miles with 27 degrees of banking.

-Norman Valley Raceway. An odd 1.15 mile equilateral triangle with three identical turns banked at 21 degrees.

-Zypher Speedway. 1.44 miles with completely different turn radii, though both sets are still banked at 24 degrees.

-Corvallis Speedway. Essentially a 1.21 mile Loudon.

Superspeedways:

-Winston Superspeedway. A 2.47 mile oval with 35 degrees of banking in the turns. As a “true oval” (without a trioval), the pit lane and pit wall have gradually been shifted further and further into the infield over the years to decrease the risk of a collision with the pit entrance.

-Jackson Superspeedway. A massive 2.91 miles with 34 degrees of banking in the turns. Talladega on steroids.

Road Courses:

-Road Alcada. 1.63 miles, runs counterclockwise.

-Mariana Bay GP Course. 1.33 miles, runs clockwise.

-Brighton Beach Raceway. 1.2 miles, runs counterclockwise.

-St. Lucia Raceway. 2.34 miles, runs clockwise.

Schedule:
Note: Certain track lengths were changed slightly over time when making things official on here. If I have an inconsistency, please point it out so I can correct it. I’ve done my best to catch them, but some may have snuck through.

Lakeview Speedway. 500 Laps/250 Miles
Bradson Motor Speedway. 274 Laps/400 Miles
Lynchport International Raceway. 200 Laps/400 Miles
Winston Superspeedway. 202 Laps/400 Miles
Yutan Speedway. 500 Laps/420 Miles
Greenville Motor Speedway. 400 Laps/316 Miles
Cormada Speedway. 267 Laps/400 Miles
Rayleigh Speedway. 307 Laps/399 Miles
Road Alcada. 100 Laps/163 Miles
Coleman Raceway. 500 Laps/270 Miles
Jackson Superspeedway. 172 Laps/500 Miles
Jackson Bull Ring. 500 Laps/125 Miles
Natford Speedway. 267 Laps/400 Miles
Winston Superspeedway. 162 Laps/400 Miles
Norman Valley Raceway. 260 Laps/299 Miles
Zypher Speedway. 278 Laps/400 Miles
Corvallis Raceway. 290 Laps/350 Miles
Mariana Bay GP Course. 150 Laps/200 Miles
Brighton Beach Raceway. 208 Laps/250 Miles
Stratford Dirt Track. 400 Laps/240 Miles
St Lucia Raceway. 85 Laps/250 Miles
Mason Motorplex. 400 Laps/256 Miles
Hartford Raceway. 400 Laps/308 Miles
Hartfor Motor Speedway. 230 Laps/400 Miles
Martison Raceway. 400 Laps/400 Miles
Coleman Raceway. 500 Laps/270 Miles
Jackson Superspeedway. 137 Laps/400 Miles
Lakeview Speedway. 500 Laps/250 Miles
Bradson Motor Speedway. 342 Laps/500 Miles
Greenville Motor Speedway. 400 Laps/316 Miles

Teams and Drivers:

Disclaimer: All names have been randomly generated. Any name that coincides with a real person/group is unintentional unless stated otherwise.

-Andrews Autosport
One of the older teams in the garage, the Andrews team has been competing in motor racing of various forms since the 1940s. The team has driven Fords for most of their history, minus a handful of their early years when they drove whatever they could get their hands on. Currently, the team fields the number 15 for Darren Cannon, a 35 year old veteran who has been with Andrews for nearly a decade. The team also runs the number 35 car on a part time basis for Kurt Lowe, a twenty year old developmental driver. While the glory days of the Andrews team may be in the past, they still have enough speed to run in the top half of the field and contend for wins when they hit the setup right.
Sponsors include: Maynard Parts on the 15 and Stanley Tools on the 35

-BDR Motorsports
A team put together by 3 businessmen in Troy Bowers, Clark Holman, and Gabe Rowan, BDR has never had much success in their nearly ten year history. Their number 71 Ford runs the full schedule with 28 year old Keller Burns while the 77 runs with the 31 year old Jake Leonard in select events.

-Carlson Motorsports
A team that’s been around since 2000, Carlson Motorsports currently fields the number 00, 10, 16, and 18 Fords. In the 00 is Pete Tucker, a 24 year old in his third season. The 10 features driver Seth Nichols, the veteran of the team at just 28 years old. In the 16 is Tom Johnston, a 26 year old in his second season with the team. And finally, the 18 is piloted by 19 year old rookie William Hayes.
Sponsors include: Busch Beer, Quaker State, 3M, and Allsure.

-Faulk Brothers Racing
Founded in 1997 by Jason and Marty Faulk to kick off their racing careers, FBR has become one of the mainstays of the mid-pack. Currently, FBR is comprised of Jason Faulk in the 20 at age 37, Nick Andrews, son of Andromart founder Kraig Andrews, in the 21 at age 30, and 25 year old Corey Mason in the 22. The team occasionally contends for wins, but does not receive the funding needed from Dodge to contend on a weekly basis, which has pressured them into transitioning to Honda after this next season.
Sponsors include: Morgan Water Heaters, Andromart/Klover Foods/Kline Refrigeration, and Tift Auto Sales

-Floyd Racing
A single, part time number 66 Ford. Drivers consist of Kyle Norton and Peter Miles at ages 42 and 38, respectively.

-Gill Racing
One of the poorer teams in the garage, Gill Racing currently fields the number 31 Toyota full time, with the 13 running part time. Drivers include owner Ross Gill at 42 years old, Drew Moran at 31, and Lance Williams at 27.

-Jordan-Norman Racing
A newer team, yet one of the best, JNR was founded as a partnership between Ty Norman, a long time driver in the ARL, and David Jordan, head of PepsiCo’s Alcada division. The team currently fields Chevrolets numbered 08, 0, and 8 full time, with the number 80 running part time. James Chambers, at age 30, is the elder statesman, having been in his 08 since the team’s founding in 2008. With the team for nearly as long is Tommy Cunningham, a 28 year old in the number 0. The newest member of the full time lineup is to the 8 car with 21 year old rookie driver James Norman, who replaces his father after his retirement. The 80 car is the team’s developmental car, which will run a limited schedule with drivers Natalie Reid and Jordan Nash.
Sponsors include: Mountain Dew, Pepsi, Taco Bell, and Valvoline

-Mansfield Motorsports Group
Founded in 1987, the Mansfield Motorsports Group is one of the more iconic teams in the sport, despite their lack of consistent success. At times they have been able to put together runs at championships, but have never pulled it off and mostly remain a mid-pack team. They currently field Dodges, but have never been too loyal to one manufacturer. In recent years however, the finances have been a struggle, forcing them to just a partial schedule with their number 95 since 2014. Piloting their ride is 31 year old Rick Cross, who’s bounced round with several teams, though never managed to find a quality ride.

-Matsui Racing Group
Another young team, MRG was established by Daisuke Matsui and currently competes in several series across the world, from NASCAR to rally racing to Formula 1. The team embraces its Japanese origins, running Toyotas and featuring several Japanese companies as sponsors. Currently, MRG fields the 01 for driver Jared Tyler, a 31 year old in his second season with the team, and the 52 for driver Stan Gordon, the 27 year old rookie from America attempting to transition in to stock cars after faltering in MRG's Formula 1 program. After starting slow, MRG has quickly risen to be one of the better teams on the tour.
Sponsors include: Sony, Hitachi, and TRD

-McCall Racing
A simple team, McCall Racing fields a single number 17 Dodge part time for the 29 year old team owner Daniel McCall.

-Mike Henderson Racing
Another part time team fielding a single car for the owner, the number 72 Chevrolet has never been able to produce the results in stock cars like the 31 year old Henderson has had in open-wheel series.

-Moorison Racing
Dodge’s factory team, Moorison Racing has been one of the top teams ever since their debut in 2001. The current lineup consists of the numbers 90, 91, and 99 with drivers Caleb Jordan, a 21 year old rookie, Tony Clark, the 46 year old journeyman, and Denny Bryan, the 30 year old who seems to have just started to come into his prime.
Sponsors include: Juul, Snap-On, the Bank of Alcada, and Mike’s Hard Lemonade

-Mueller Motorsports
An odd team, Mueller Motorsports seems to be a backmarker on most weekends, but has managed to contend for wins in seemingly random races. At 28, Ray Kelly currently drives their number 5 Chevrolet, while the 40 year old Thomas Copeland pilots the 9.
Sponsorship includes: Alldsco Trucking and Kennesaw Hardware

-Nance Motorsports
Another odd team, Nance focuses all of their efforts on just one of their Chevrolets, the number 55 of 27 year old Lucas Morris, while using the 45 of Clay Harris, age 39, and occasionally the 65 with various other drivers, to run in the back, just collecting prize money.

-Newman Autosports
A team with plenty of starts over the years, but not a single win to show for it. They are currently a single car operation fielding the number 34 Ford for the lone full-time female driver, 20 year old rookie Taylor Patterson.

-Pratt-Russo Motorsports
Established in 2002 by Michael Pratt and Claire Russo, the PRM Chevrolets (formerly Pontiacs) have put together quite a history at the front of the field. With drivers Johnny Jennings, a 27 year old in his 4th year with the team, and Marshall Thorton, a 37 year old veteran of the sport, PRM hopes to remain a title contender for years to come.
Sponsors include: P&G Products (Tide, Gillette, etc), Mcdonalds, and Phoenix Coating Systems

-Russo Racing
Confusingly, a second team founded by members of the Russo family, Claire Russo’s father-in-law has fielded the number 60 Chevrolet every weekend since 1995. While the teams have that relation, the two are actually entirely separate, even being headquartered on opposite ends of the island. The 60 is not the front of the field contender it once was though, with long time driver Carlton Clark, at age 52, having left his prime long ago.

-Saul Media Racing
Owned by the Saul Media Group, SMR has yet to put together a solid season in their brief history. Their number 40 Toyota with the 33 year old Greg Peterson can often be seen going multiple laps down.

Okay…. so that was a lot. If you managed to read all that and it made sense, then congrats. At the end of the day, this is really just a fun little project I've been doing in my free time over the past few years and I've just decided to post it in case there's a chance that someone else will enjoy it too, so I hope you guys do! The post with the first race should be up soon, I just need to finish typing everything up and converting it into the proper format.

Last edited by Steelman (1/06/2021 3:53 pm)

11/23/2020 1:07 am  #2

Re: NASCAR Alcada Series (Hand Drawn)

Race 1. Lakeview Speedway. 500 Laps, 250 Miles

Results
1. 99, Denny Bryan
2. 16, Tom Johnston
3. 08, James Chambers
4. 52, Stan Gordon
5. 15, Darren Cannon
6. 90, Caleb Jordan
7. 80, Natalie Reid
8. 1, Johnny Jennings
9. 8, James Norman
10. 45, Clay Harris
11. 7, Marshall Thorton
12. 0, Tommy Cunningham
13. 00, Pete Tucker
14. 22, Corey Mason
15. 5, Ray Kelly
16. 60, Carlton Clark
17. 18, William Hayes
18. 71, Keller Burns
19. 47, John Reese
20. 35, Kurt Lowe
21. 40, Greg Peterson
22. 20, Jason Faulk
23. 10, Seth Nichols
24. 01, Jared Tyler
25. 13, Lance Williams
26. 95, Rick Cross
27. 91, Tony Clark
28. 55, Lucas Morris
29. 31, Ross Gill
30. 21, Nick Andrews
DNQ: 9, Thomas Copeland; 34, Taylor Patterson

Lap leaders: D Bryan (107), D Cannon (107), T Johnston (89), J Chambers (84), J Norman (76), C Mason (21), S Nichols (13), W Hayes (3)

Race Summary:
    The inaugural NASCAR Alcada Series would get off to a bit of a rocky start, as after just 16 laps, leader William Hayes would blow a right front tire and bring out a caution after leading just three laps following a pass of his teammate, and polesitter, Seth Nichols. The young driver would unfortunately never recover after a very promising week of practice and struggle on his way to a 17th place finish. After resuming, Darren Cannon would jump out to a big lead, seeming to have the dominant car, but as the daylight faded, his car would fade as well, giving way to a mix of other drivers: Tom Johnston, James Chambers, James Norman, and Denny Bryan. Each would spend a good amount of time out front, but a slow final pitstop would drop Norman from contention and leave the fight for the win up to the trio of Johnston, Chambers, and Bryan. On fresh tires, Chambers had the best car, but only for a few laps before his handling would go away. After inheriting the lead on lap 403, he would hold on for the next 23 laps before giving way to the 16 of Tom Johnston. Johnston would then begin to drive away before beginning to struggle with lap traffic, allowing Denny Bryan, who had worked his way into second, to catch up. A battle would ensue, but Bryan would make the pass and lead the final 37 laps en route to the victory in the inaugural event.

Denny Bryan celebrates his win with a burnout. Sponsor: Snap-On (Scheme 1)

Next up:
The series will head over to the Bradson Motor Speedway for 400 miles around the 1.46 mile oval. Not exactly sure what pace I'm going to be going at, but I'll likely wait a few days before posting. Until then, thanks for stopping by to take a look, hope you enjoyed the first event!

11/23/2020 1:19 am  #3

Hey, no shame in hand-drawn images, especially when they look as good as that first offering. Really nicely done. I don't think we've had a racing series on here so that's super unique. I'm not big into racing myself but I'll look forward to seeing how you present this type of sport. Nice start! (I edited your first post to show the track images)

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

11/23/2020 5:50 am  #4

To echo Steel, I'm personally not a huge racing fan myself, (case in point, it took me a good minute to finally figure out what the additional curves in your race courses were).  However, I definitely wanted to compliment your hand drawn images, as they are REALLY good!   Correct me if I'm wrong, but this might just be the first individual sport we've seen thus far, so that's cool as well!

Definitely interested to see how this plays out!

11/23/2020 10:15 am  #5

I love that you have the Camaro, Mustang, Supra, Charger... and the Honda Accord. I get it's just a shell and in no way a real car, but it's very much a "one of these things is not like the others" feel.

I love your detail, and the art is gorgeous. I'd like to know a bit more about the prominent drivers so I can "latch" onto one.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

11/25/2020 12:47 am  #6

I appreciate the comments everyone! As for some information on the drivers, I took some time to write a bit up real quick:

The Veterans of the Sport:
Overall, the series is heavily based around the younger drivers, as there has been a pipeline of young talent in recent years, but a few of the older guys are still around.

Darren Cannon: The lone black driver in the series, Darren Cannon started his career running with his family’s team in the ARL in 2005 at the age of 22 before getting a deal with Andrews Autosport in the middle of the 2009 season, where he still drives today. Since joining Andrews, Cannon has put together an impressive career, with 34 wins across the three major series and an ARL championship in 2013. He isn’t the flashiest driver in the field, with fans often calling for him to be more aggressive at times, but as a result of his calm demeanor, he is one of the more respected drivers in the garage.

Marshall Thorton: Another former ARL champion, Marshall Thorton won his pair of titles all the way back in 2006 and 2007, which were also his first two years with Pratt-Russo Motorsports after two years with Carlson Motorsports. Despite his championship background however, Thorton has not exactly lived up to expectations since then. With 17 wins in his first 4 years, including a 10 win 2007, Thorton was expected to continue on to be an all time great, but from 2008-2015, he would only get another 6 wins. In the past couple of years he has turned up the pace a bit, getting 2 wins in 2016 and 3 in 2017, but in doing so he became a boom-or-bust driver, often living by the Ricky Bobby mentality of “If ya ain’t first, you’re last.” He’s currently in a contract year, and a good season may just save his career.

Carlton Clark: A legend of the NSCA, Carlton Clark has driven the 60 car for Russo Racing since its inception in 1995. Together, the two have brought home 83 wins, the 1997, 1999, 2000, 2005, and 2008 NSCA championships, and the 2000, 2002, and 2007 ASCRA championships. However, following his final championship at age 42, Clark and the team began to decline. They would continue their winning ways into 2010, but since then, the team has gone winless and even cut back to a partial schedule in 2014. Clark is still well respected and a fan favorite, but it is a well known fact that his prime has been left in the past and it’s now just a matter of when he wishes to retire.

Tony Clark: The younger brother of Carlton, Tony has also been a successful driver, but at 46, he also seems to have lost his winning edge. Tony broke into the top three divisions in 1995, with MaasMotors, a former team in the ARL, before jumping to Russo Racing’s number 50 in 1999. Running on the same team as his brother, he could never match the same results, with Carlton putting up 33 wins and three championships in the time Tony got just 5 wins and a best points finish of 8th, so after just 2 years he would jump ship to the newly founded Moorison Racing, where he would stick for three years and then began bouncing around with several teams before finally returning to Moorison in 2013 where he has lasted ever since. While not a bad driver, he has 37 wins and the 2006 ASCRA championship to his name, Tony has spent the majority of his career in his brother’s shadow, trying to find the best team in the garage so he can match his results, but at this point in his career, he seems to be on his way out the door.

This Year’s Rookies:
While technically everyone is a rookie to the NASCAR Alcada Series, most have driven in the ARL, ASRCA, and NSCA beforehand. To be considered a rookie, a driver must have no more than 15 starts in these three prior to the merger.

James Norman: The 21 year old son of Ty Norman, arguably the greatest driver in the history of the ARL. He inherits the car driven by his father, who won 128 races across the top three divisions from 1996-2017 to go along with the 1998, 1999, 2003, 2008, 2010, 2011, and 2014 ARL championships and the 2008 and 2009 ASCRA championship, so to say he has big shoes to fill is a bit of an understatement. However, his early career in late models, both on pavement and dirt, has shown tons of potential, which prompted his father (along with his co-owner David Jordan) to name him as the heir to the number 8. Many fans seem to be hopping on the bandwagon, but there are also plenty of detractors, calling him a “silver spoon” who didn’t earn his ride. Only time will tell which side proves to be right.

William Hayes: At just 19, Hayes is seen as a big risk. Carlson Motorsports thinks he has the chance to be the next big thing, but most see him as unpolished, overly aggressive, and in general, just not ready for the big leagues. He has little experience in an actual stock car, but the raw ability is undoubtedly there, the question is, can he harness it, or will he prove to be too aggressive for his own good?

Caleb Jordan: (No relation to David Jordan) Another 21 year old, Caleb Jordan has come up the ranks battling with James Norman from an early age and the two are quite close friends. Caleb made 6 starts with Moorison Racing in the ASCRA last season to prepare for this year, with mixed results. At times he ran up front and battled for the win in just his second start, but his first, third, and fourth starts saw him end the days early after getting into the wall on his own. Like William Hayes, the talent is there, but Jordan will need to find the right balance of aggression and keeping the car clean.

Taylor Patterson: The only female driver competing full-time, Patterson’s family also has a racing background. Her uncle, Brian Keller was the 2012 NSCA champion before a crash fractured his ribs and leg would result in him retiring to take a roll as a crew chief. However, her uncle’s injuries did not dissuade her, and Taylor has taken a seat in the number 34 for Newman Autosports. While the equipment isn’t the greatest, she is hoping to use it to showcase her abilities and work into a better ride.

Stan Gordon: One of the more interesting rookies, Gordon spent most of his life preparing for an open-wheel career. Born in America, he would take part in the Matsui Racing Group’s Formula 1 driver development program and even got a ride in F1 for the 2016 and 2017 seasons. But his aggressive driving style would not fly, and he would receive numerous aggressive driving penalties and a pair of suspensions before MRG pulled the plug on his F1 aspirations. However, after spending so much time developing him, MRG decided to move him to their NASCAR team, where they hope his driving will be more acceptable.

The Underdogs:
Some of the guys who have shown potential, but are driving what may be considered sub-par equipment.

Ray Kelly: Kelly has driven for Mueller Motorsports for his entire 4 year career, and is, to date, the only driver to bring them a win. The team typically runs in the middle of the pack or slightly worse, but Kelly has brought them a win and often outperforms what he has been given.

Lucas Morris: While Nance Motorsports isn’t the worst team ever, the results they typically put up are middle of the pack, yet Morris has his 55 competing for wins on a semi-regular basis. Granted, the team has admitted to giving his car the most funding of their full-time cars, but this began after he had started exceeding expectations. The real question here is will he continue building up the team his with, or will he try to find a better ride if one becomes available?

Jake Leonard: He only runs a part time schedule, but Jake Leonard is usually the bright spot for whichever team he drives for, especially on road courses. He hasn't been too picky about where, when, or what he drives, just as long as it has wheels.

The Small-Time Guys:
These drivers are the guys doing it on their own. When the merger happened between the three series, most family-run, driver-owners elected to stay down at the local level, but these guys are pursuing the top level.

Daniel McCall: At 29, McCall has never had an offer enticing enough to abandon the team he and his father started when his career began. He may not have the funding and often has to run with his father’s construction company on the hood of the car, but he always puts the effort in whenever he puts his car on the track.

Mike Henderson: Mike is undoubtedly one of the more talented drivers in the entire country, and has the results to show for it…. in open-wheel. Stock-cars are a different story. While Henderson is one of the most naturally gifted racers out there, he has prioritized his open wheel branch of his team and just runs stock car races as a hobby on off weekends. He could undoubtedly do great things if he put the time and money into it, but as of now, he appears to be more focused on other forms of racing.

Ross Gill: Ross Gill has had a long career in racing, reaching the NSCA in 2007 and putting together a respectable career with a couple of wins. But he never was an elite driver and soon found himself without a ride, but instead of retiring, Gill Racing was established in 2015. In its current state, Gill Racing will likely never do anything big, but Ross has said that his true hopes for the team lie in his son, Brian, who is currently working his way up the ranks. Ross hopes that by the time Brian is ready to make the jump to the top division, he will have saved up enough money to start competing for wins.

Other Notables:
These guys aren’t really able to fit in other categories, but still have some decent backstory to them.

Jason Faulk: The co-founder of Faulk Brothers Racing, Jason is considered a solid, respectable driver with a handful of wins. He isn’t an all-time great, but he usually brings the car home clean and doesn’t make any enemies. He’s one of the more successful owner-drivers, though the success on the track has typically come from others.

Nick Andrews: The main source of money for FBR, Nick Andrews brings his father’s company, Andromart, and several other companies associated with them as sponsors for the team. He isn’t exactly the best driver, and often gets criticized for "buying" a ride, but without him, FBR would likely not be at the level they are today.

Corey Mason: The third driver from FBR, Corey Mason is the youngest on the team and is considered their top prospect, even bringing them a championship in the ASCRA last season. While the team’s equipment isn’t at the level where they regularly compete for wins, Mason is able to use consistency and clean driving to bring the car home towards the front of the pack.

James Chambers: Having been with JNR since 2008, Chambers has brought home some hardware for the team, including the last three championships in the ARL. While he has been successful in recent years though, his first few seasons were rough. Coming up at age 20, Chambers quickly made several enemies, including his own boss at one point, but after some time, he began to calm down and has since become one of the best drivers in the field, though some fans still hold a grudge for his actions when he was younger.

Tommy Cunningham: The final driver at JNR to be listed, Cunningham was their only full-time entrant in the NSCA over the time of the sport being divided, and brought them the championship in 2016.

Johnny Jennings: The 4th year driver has proved to be full of talent. He’s brought home several wins, but after being the most dominant driver in the ARL in 2017, a late season collapse would let the championship slide to James Chambers. Jennings has the talent to be a champion, but he’ll have to learn how to close out a season.

Denny Bryan: At 30 years old, Denny Bryan is coming off back-to-back years that resulted in championships, albeit in different series (the NSCA and ASCRA), and is looking to cement himself as one of the best in the sport. By winning the first race of the season, he’s definitely off to a good start.

Up-and-Comers:
A few drivers are running partial schedule this season in preparation for going full-time in the near future.

Natalie Reid: Competing part time in the JRN number 80, Natalie Reid has been impressing in the late model ranks since she was 15. She’s splitting the car with another driver, but the hope is that she will impress enough to earn a full time ride.

Jordan Nash: The other driver in the JRN number 80, Jordan Nash has used his bumper to make passes more than some drivers do in their entire career, and he hasn’t even turned 21 yet. However, the results speak for themselves, and he’s considered one of the most promising young talents for a reason.

Kurt Lowe: The number one prospect in Ford’s system, Lowe has already signed a contract guaranteeing him a full season in 2019, he just doesn’t know which team it will be for yet. His 2018 will be spent running a partial schedule in the number 35 for Andrews Autosport.

So there’s some background. Not every driver had something mentioned, but these are some of the notables. This actually adds quite a bit of depth to the pre-merger history that I, honestly, hadn’t really put too much thought into. I had a rough history of who was successful in the past and I knew I wanted several series to merge into one, but the actual history of it wasn’t expanded on until… now. You might notice the win totals are pretty high when compared to real-life NASCAR drivers, and that has to do with the way the three previous series ran. Each had between 25-40 races in a season, some worth more than others, and drivers often crossed over, resulting in guys running nearly 60 races in some years. Each series counts towards the drivers’ win totals when looking into the past, but for the purpose of this series, I will only track wins and stats in the post-merger era. So yeah. I hope y’all enjoy this new information, I found it fun to throw together.

11/25/2020 2:03 am  #7

I can defiantly see BMW, Nissan, and Mercedes in NASCAR.

11/25/2020 10:04 am  #8

Stan Gordon sounds like my kind of guy!

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

11/28/2020 1:58 am  #9

Nice to see at least one fanbase is forming! I hope everyone who's with me here in the States had a good Thanksgiving and safe Black Friday (if you chose to do anything for them), and to my non-American friends, I hope you had a good random Thursday and Friday in November. Moving on, we have our second race of the season!

Race 2. Bradson Motor Speedway. 274 Laps, 400 Miles

Results
1. 8, James Norman
2. 90, Caleb Jordan
3. 10, Seth Nichols
4. 91, Tony Clark
5. 15, Darren Cannon
6. 1, Johnny Jennings
7. 16, Tom Johnston
8. 80, Jordan Nash
9. 00, Pete Tucker
10. 01, Jared Tyler
11. 7, Marshall Thorton
12. 18, William Hayes
13. 0, Tommy Cunningham
14. 55, Lucas Morris
15. 20, Jason Faulk
16. 52, Stan Gordon
17. 5, Ray Kelly
18. 65, Jaime Reed
19. 08, James Chambers
20. 99, Denny Bryan
21. 34, Taylor Patterson
22. 77, Jake Leonard
23. 31, Ross Gill
24. 9, Thomas Copeland
25. 22, Corey Mason
26. 40, Greg Peterson
27. 60, Carlton Clark
28. 45, Clay Harris
29. 21, Nick Andrews
30. 71, Keller Burns
DNQ: None

Lap Leaders: J Norman (132), C Jordan (78), D Bryan (33), T Cunningham (22), M Thorton (9)

Race Summary:
    In a race that would wind up shocking many, 21 year old rookie James Norman in just his second start would dominate the day and bring home his first career win. Not only that, but fellow 21 year old rookie Caleb Jordan would be his primary competition. The race would start out with pole sitter and defending race winner Denny Bryan jumping out to an early lead, but after just 33 laps, Norman would move his way up to the top spot after starting in 7th. Bryan would run in the top five for most of the afternoon, but late in the day he would find himself down a cylinder, losing several laps and limping home to a 20th place finish. Meanwhile, Caleb Jordan was working his way from a 19th place starting position, getting stuck around 13th before a caution would come out 61 laps into the race, and while most would pit, the 90 car would stay on the track and inherit the lead. He was able to hold this position for quite some time before eventually giving it back to Norman. The biggest issue of the day would occur on lap 137 when Jordan Nash, making his first start, would get into the side of Corey Mason in a battle for 6th. Mason would cut a tire, spinning and collecting several others, including his teammate, Nick Andrews. Norman and Jordan would continue mixing it up at the front, with Jordan having the better car on the launch, but Norman getting him back a few laps into the run. Tommy Cunningham and Marshall Thorton would make their own strategy calls, with Cunningham staying out long on a run and Thorton attempting to replicate the success Jordan had by staying out under a caution, but neither move would be the correct call, as the 8 and 90 were just that much better than the rest of the field. The race would end on a 44 lap green-flag run, with James Norman pulling away late to win by just over 3 seconds. After the race, runner up Caleb Jordan would come join the celebration in victory lane, joking that he had held back since he “owed [Norman] one after beating him so bad last season,” referring to their late model season, in which he won the title by over a full race’s worth of points.

James Norman rips the high side in the turns on his way to his first career victory. Sponsor: Mountain Dew (Scheme 1)

Points Standings: (Whoops, forgot this last time……)

Starts        Wins        T5        T10
1. James Norman        43       2        1        2        2
2. Caleb Jordan        41     2                1        2
3. Tom Johnston        40    2                2        2
4. Darren Cannon        39    2                2        2
5. Johnny Jennings        34    2                        2
6. Denny Bryan        31    2        1        1        1
7. Stan Gordon        28    2                1        1
9. James Chambers        27    2                1        1
9. Marshall Thorton        27    2
10. Pete Tucker        26    2                        1
11. Seth Nichols        24    2                1        1
11. Tommy Cunningham    24    2        
13. Tony Clark            21    2                1        1
14. William Hayes        20    2
15. Natalie Reid        17    1                        1
18. Jordan Nash        16    1                        1
18. Jared Tyler            16    2                        1
18. Ray Kelly            16    2
19. Clay Harris        15    2                        1
20. Corey Mason        13    2
21. Jason Faulk        12    2
22. Lucas Morris        11    2
23. Carlton Clark        9    2
24. Keller Burns        7    2
25. Jaime Reed        6    1
26. John Reese        5    1
28. Kurt Lowe            4    1
28. Greg Peterson        4    1
31. Jake Leonard        3    1
31. Ross Gill            3    1
31. Taylor Patterson        3    1
33. Lance Williams        2    1
33. Nick Andrews        2    2
34. Thomas Copeland    2    1
35. Rick Cross            1    1

Next Up:
The drivers will take on the Alcadian version of Indianapolis, as the 2-mile Lynchport International Raceway plays host to the 200 lap, 400 mile event. Thanks for looking and stay tuned for more!

11/28/2020 10:31 am  #10

JN8 wrote:

Nice to see at least one fanbase is forming! I hope everyone who's with me here in the States had a good Thanksgiving and safe Black Friday (if you chose to do anything for them), and to my non-American friends, I hope you had a good random Thursday and Friday in November. Moving on, we have our second race of the season!

Race 2. Bradson Motor Speedway. 274 Laps, 400 Miles

Results
1. 8, James Norman
2. 90, Caleb Jordan
3. 10, Seth Nichols
4. 91, Tony Clark
5. 15, Darren Cannon
6. 1, Johnny Jennings
7. 16, Tom Johnston
8. 80, Jordan Nash
9. 00, Pete Tucker
10. 01, Jared Tyler
11. 7, Marshall Thorton
12. 18, William Hayes
13. 0, Tommy Cunningham
14. 55, Lucas Morris
15. 20, Jason Faulk
16. 52, Stan Gordon
17. 5, Ray Kelly
18. 65, Jaime Reed
19. 08, James Chambers
20. 99, Denny Bryan
21. 34, Taylor Patterson
22. 77, Jake Leonard
23. 31, Ross Gill
24. 9, Thomas Copeland
25. 22, Corey Mason
26. 40, Greg Peterson
27. 60, Carlton Clark
28. 45, Clay Harris
29. 21, Nick Andrews
30. 71, Keller Burns
DNQ: None

Lap Leaders: J Norman (132), C Jordan (78), D Bryan (33), T Cunningham (22), M Thorton (9)

Race Summary:
    In a race that would wind up shocking many, 21 year old rookie James Norman in just his second start would dominate the day and bring home his first career win. Not only that, but fellow 21 year old rookie Caleb Jordan would be his primary competition. The race would start out with pole sitter and defending race winner Denny Bryan jumping out to an early lead, but after just 33 laps, Norman would move his way up to the top spot after starting in 7th. Bryan would run in the top five for most of the afternoon, but late in the day he would find himself down a cylinder, losing several laps and limping home to a 20th place finish. Meanwhile, Caleb Jordan was working his way from a 19th place starting position, getting stuck around 13th before a caution would come out 61 laps into the race, and while most would pit, the 90 car would stay on the track and inherit the lead. He was able to hold this position for quite some time before eventually giving it back to Norman. The biggest issue of the day would occur on lap 137 when Jordan Nash, making his first start, would get into the side of Corey Mason in a battle for 6th. Mason would cut a tire, spinning and collecting several others, including his teammate, Nick Andrews. Norman and Jordan would continue mixing it up at the front, with Jordan having the better car on the launch, but Norman getting him back a few laps into the run. Tommy Cunningham and Marshall Thorton would make their own strategy calls, with Cunningham staying out long on a run and Thorton attempting to replicate the success Jordan had by staying out under a caution, but neither move would be the correct call, as the 8 and 90 were just that much better than the rest of the field. The race would end on a 44 lap green-flag run, with James Norman pulling away late to win by just over 3 seconds. After the race, runner up Caleb Jordan would come join the celebration in victory lane, joking that he had held back since he “owed [Norman] one after beating him so bad last season,” referring to their late model season, in which he won the title by over a full race’s worth of points.

James Norman rips the high side in the turns on his way to his first career victory. Sponsor: Mountain Dew (Scheme 1)

Points Standings: (Whoops, forgot this last time……)

Starts        Wins        T5        T10
1. James Norman        43       2        1        2        2
2. Caleb Jordan        41     2                1        2
3. Tom Johnston        40    2                2        2
4. Darren Cannon        39    2                2        2
5. Johnny Jennings        34    2                        2
6. Denny Bryan        31    2        1        1        1
7. Stan Gordon        28    2                1        1
9. James Chambers        27    2                1        1
9. Marshall Thorton        27    2
10. Pete Tucker        26    2                        1
11. Seth Nichols        24    2                1        1
11. Tommy Cunningham    24    2        
13. Tony Clark            21    2                1        1
14. William Hayes        20    2
15. Natalie Reid        17    1                        1
18. Jordan Nash        16    1                        1
18. Jared Tyler            16    2                        1
18. Ray Kelly            16    2
19. Clay Harris        15    2                        1
20. Corey Mason        13    2
21. Jason Faulk        12    2
22. Lucas Morris        11    2
23. Carlton Clark        9    2
24. Keller Burns        7    2
25. Jaime Reed        6    1
26. John Reese        5    1
28. Kurt Lowe            4    1
28. Greg Peterson        4    1
31. Jake Leonard        3    1
31. Ross Gill            3    1
31. Taylor Patterson        3    1
33. Lance Williams        2    1
33. Nick Andrews        2    2
34. Thomas Copeland    2    1
35. Rick Cross            1    1

Next Up:
The drivers will take on the Alcadian version of Indianapolis, as the 2-mile Lynchport International Raceway plays host to the 200 lap, 400 mile event. Thanks for looking and stay tuned for more!

With the toughness in formatting the table at the bottom, and knowing you're hand-drawing everything, I'd put that into an Excel spreadsheet, then use a snipping tool to pull that information out as a graphic to paste in there. That would keep the spacing and formatting a little better.

Board footera