Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/13/2020 9:40 pm  #711

Re: History of the National Football Association - 1974-75 Season

Favourite team: Seattle Lumberjacks
Least favourite team: don't really have one
Favourite look: Colorado Cougars (they could use a better logo, but I like how the purple and silver go together)
Least favourite look: Washington Pirates (mostly due to the fact that the striping patterns on the helmet/pants and the jerseys are different)
Memorable players: Eugene Addams (QB - Philadelphia/Minneapolis), Quentin Brookes (RB - New York/Pittsburgh*), Scott Hogg (QB - Washington/Chicago), Burt O'Conner (QB - Minneapolis/Philadelphia)

How many NFA teams have retired numbers, and which numbers have each of those teams retired? (All I know about NFA retired numbers is that #32 and at least two other numbers are retired in New York, and that #16 is retired in Philadelphia.) Also, how big are each of the 20 NFA stadiums?

Inmate of the AHSylum
Athletic Director, Semiahmoo University

11/14/2020 10:44 am  #712

Favorite team: Cleveland, St. Louis
Least favorite team: Chicago, Washington
Favorite look: same as favorite teams
Least favorite look: same as least favorite teams
Which colors are the more important for certain teams? Like to me, Minneapolis has navy, but the white is way more prominent compared to it. Milwaukee has more black, but gold is used as a secondary so as not to confuse it with Chicago or Baltimore. And Washington has those alternate color unis, which makes me wonder if red is more important than white. Sorry, I just like thinking about this. 

11/14/2020 6:16 pm  #713

Stickman wrote:

Really interesting statistics there Pepper, definitely a few surprises, thanks for uploading that!   Yeah, I'd be totally down for an all time win loss record list!

Here it is then!

Washington Pirates: 128-91-7
Chicago Zephyrs: 118-62-6
Philadelphia Hornets: 118-101-7
Boston Gaels: 116-104-5
New York Cannons: 113-100-13
Detroit Bombers: 106-78-7
Los Angeles Tigers: 98-101-11
Minneapolis Blue Ox: 86-58-2
Pittsburgh Ironman: 84-98-8
Cleveland Rangers: 62-81-3
Baltimore Bulldogs: 34-39-1
San Francisco Whales: 33-65-0
Seattle Lumberjacks: 31-65-2
Milwaukee Barbarians: 20-29-1

They're sorted by most amount of wins.

TOUCHDOWN QB EAGLES wrote:

Hell, I missed months of this. Anything good I miss?

Not much has changed for Philly the last couple of seasons. Since their Champions Bowl appearance they've returned to the postseason every year, still led by QB Oscar Washington. They haven't made any huge acquisitions though to push them over the top, which has resulted in two early exits in the postseason. They've fallen behind in a competitive Northeast division and lost a couple important pieces of the o-line to the expansion draft last offseason. They're going to be big buyers this offseason though, and with a revamped free agency system taking hold this summer, hopefully they'll find someone to keep them in the scene for a Champions Bowl.

dvdbubba27 wrote:

Favourite team: Seattle Lumberjacks
Least favourite team: don't really have one
Favourite look: Colorado Cougars (they could use a better logo, but I like how the purple and silver go together)
Least favourite look: Washington Pirates (mostly due to the fact that the striping patterns on the helmet/pants and the jerseys are different)
Memorable players: Eugene Addams (QB - Philadelphia/Minneapolis), Quentin Brookes (RB - New York/Pittsburgh*), Scott Hogg (QB - Washington/Chicago), Burt O'Conner (QB - Minneapolis/Philadelphia)

How many NFA teams have retired numbers, and which numbers have each of those teams retired? (All I know about NFA retired numbers is that #32 and at least two other numbers are retired in New York, and that #16 is retired in Philadelphia.) Also, how big are each of the 20 NFA stadiums?

I'm glad to see the Jacks have a fan! Although it can't be the best of times, the front office has handled the team horribly, hopefully it's only up from here.
Colorado will update their logo soon I'd think. Their current is the last of its kind, and the illustration style will fall out of fashion by the next few years, so I could see a new logo being unveiled relatively soon.
I'm glad to hear you have some favorite characters, I want to try and focus more on some so more of them become memorable. As for the ones you picked, they're probably some of the most dominant offense players in league history, Addams, Hogg, and Brookes, Hogg already being remembered as one of, if not the greatest of all time. The exception is O'Connor, who I think I talked about before, but he wasn't as notable. He had a couple breakout years but he's most remembered for the Addams trade.
The current players that have their numbers retired are: Eugene Addams' 16 for the Hornets, Terrance Gaines' 8 for the Pirates, Wayne Pearson's 10 for the Tigers, Houston Henderson's 16 for the Bombers, Alfred "Alfie" Raschall's 20 for the Zephyrs, Elijah Kingston's 12 for the Gaels, and George Roosevelt's 30, Quentin Brookes' 32, and the number 0 to honor the lives lost in WWII for the Cannons.
The 2 Cannons ones that nobody knows are both pre-NFA retirements. Roosevelt was the first football player, and one of the first professional athletes to have a number retired. He played from 1919-1931 and won 4 of New York's 7 AFA titles from 20-23. He started out with the Cannons, walking onto the team after coming home from WW1. He played there from 1919-1924. He then spent a year with a team called the Detroit Cougars, the next year with the Dayton Braves, and then finished his career with Milwaukee, winning 2 more AFA titles in 28 and 29.
The retired zero is in honor of the fallen soldiers from all American wars but most importantly WWII. The oldest son of then owner George Jones was killed in WWII, and so not long before the founding of the NFA, he retired 0 to honor all fallen soldiers.
The name Cannons actually derives from the army, George Jones himself was a soldier during the Spanish American war and served for a few years after. When his father died he came home and resigned. After becoming interested in the sport he bought the then named New York Football Team, who traveled to play teams around the North Atlantic area and renamed them the Cannons. He would due of illness in 1946, right before the founding of the NFA, and his younger 2 sons Robert Jones and George Jones Jr. would take over ownership and help form the league.

RightGuard wrote:

Favorite team: Cleveland, St. Louis
Least favorite team: Chicago, Washington
Favorite look: same as favorite teams
Least favorite look: same as least favorite teams
Which colors are the more important for certain teams? Like to me, Minneapolis has navy, but the white is way more prominent compared to it. Milwaukee has more black, but gold is used as a secondary so as not to confuse it with Chicago or Baltimore. And Washington has those alternate color unis, which makes me wonder if red is more important than white. Sorry, I just like thinking about this. 

Minneapolis definitely favors white over navy. Their most recent update actually saw them drop the navy pants they had. Right now it's used mostly as a way to avoid the clashing of white and powder blue. Milwaukee is a bit similar, although they'll be making a slight change in the direction you mentioned. Washington doesn't have alternate color uniforms? Their first set of uniforms included a red and blue uniform, but the red was quickly dropped to comply with the league rulings that every team had to have a white uniform. Since then they've kept a white and blue jersey. Although to make up for not having a red one, they're white uniform has red features and no sign of blue while the away uniform does the opposite. It's not really that red or white has more authority or importance in the color scheme, it's more like all three are used equally. You're completely okay though! I'm glad people are interested in this sort of stuff, it's cool to see y'all like my stuff.

11/15/2020 1:08 pm  #714

Part 2 (I know this is a little late but here we go)
Memorable Players:
Scott Hogg (QB Zephyrs)
Eugene Addams (QB Hornets, Blue Ox)
Houston Henderson (QB  Bombers)
Keith Lincoln (QB Tigers)
Stevie Parks (RB Gaels)
Dougie Edmonds (QB Pirates, Blue Ox)

Requests
I would like to see some NFA stadium data.

11/15/2020 6:34 pm  #715

Rugrat wrote:

Part 2 (I know this is a little late but here we go)
Memorable Players:
Scott Hogg (QB Zephyrs)
Eugene Addams (QB Hornets, Blue Ox)
Houston Henderson (QB Bombers)
Keith Lincoln (QB Tigers)
Stevie Parks (RB Gaels)
Dougie Edmonds (QB Pirates, Blue Ox)

Requests
I would like to see some NFA stadium data.

Yeah I'm still working on getting everything organized, life's been a bit busy but I'm still getting it done, I'll have the stadium info up later in the offseason like I said earlier.

11/17/2020 5:07 pm  #716

1968 NFA Offseason

50 Seasons of Football and Honoring the AFA
The first big thing happening this offseason is the preparation for the upcoming season. If the original AFA would’ve stuck around the league would be celebrating 50 seasons. In honor of this, the league decides to have several celebrations.
First, the creation of the NFA Hall of Fame. It will include players from the original AFA and NFA and will nominate a group of players every offseason. The first group of inductees which will include 2 AFA players and 6 NFA players, will be announced below. For any future players to be inducted they will have to be retired for at least a season, and be selected by the Hall of Fame committee.

Second, the league will also have every team wear a patch on the chest of the uniform honoring the “50 years of Football." While the league doesn't technically recognize the 1919 AFA season as it's first, instead choosing the 1946 NFA season, it does include the AFA in its history. The final thing that the league will do in honor of the 50th anniversary, is start a new tradition. The first game of the season will from now on be 1 week before the rest and will honor the history of football. It will be played at a neutral site and will be called the Fall Classic. 2 teams will be selected each season to play in this game and will have a bye the next week. The first ever Fall Classic will be held this season. The two teams selected to play this year are two AFA greats, the Cannons and Gaels. The game will be played at Wilkes Stadium in Philadelphia.
-A post will be made before the season honoring the inaugural HOF class. 

16th Annual NFA Draft:
1st - RB Wendell Granger - Ohio University - Pittsburgh Ironmen
2nd - OT Fred Hatfield - University of New York - Seattle Lumberjacks
3rd - QB Zachary Ingram - Northern Texas University - Houston Explorers
4th - DT Jerry Wolf - Wisconsin State University - Chicago Zephyrs
5th - OT Danny Richardson - Tucson University - Colorado Cougars 

Other Notable Picks:
7th - RB Louis Redding - Florida University - Minneapolis Blue Ox
9th - WR Thomas Carp - Oklahoma Tech University - Texas Roughriders
26th - OT Henry Wilson - Virginia University - Baltimore Bulldogs
30th - LB Matthew Fletcher - Ohio University - Washington Pirates (Via CLE)
32nd - RB Joe Bryant - California State University - Chicago Zephyrs (Via STL)

Roster Changes:
-The first big move of the offseason was Minneapolis shedding an unhappy RB Kent Ross to Philadelphia. It was a 1 for 1 swap for RB Tom Fowler. Ross had voiced concerns with the teams front office and coaching staff over the past season. While he isn’t playing up to what some had hoped, he’s still a younger player with room to grow. Philadelphia definitely upgrades here as Fowler has been injury riddled the past 2 seasons. 
-WR Elijah Wolfstein makes the first free agency signing under the new rules. He signs with San Francisco after spending his first 8 seasons in Minneapolis. SF makes a move to bolster their offense which came up short at many times last season.
-Former Whales LB Aaron Rose becomes another one to use the new free agency rules and signs with Detroit. This is a big pickup for Detroit as Rose was one of the best in his position last season.
-Former Tigers WR James Fredrik signs with Minneapolis. This is in direct response to Wolfstein leaving. It’s a downgrade that they might’ve overpaid for, but most new free agents this year got big checks this summer as many teams are adjusting to the new rules.
-Finally, Minneapolis yet another move and brings in QB Jim Sandusky. Many fans were upset last summer when they brought in Emmonds, wishing they’d just taken a younger QB in the draft. But the front office insists on attempting to stay competitive. They once again didn’t take a QB in the draft either. Instead picking a RB after trading Ross. 

Coaching Changes:
-Baltimore fires Tim King, they’re OC and replaces him with former Ox HC, Emmett Petty.
-Long time OC John Popwalski left Chicago for a HC at Detroit. Detroit fired HC Chester Osborne after back to back postseason disappointments. 

League News:
-The first bit of news is an update on the Bulldogs. While not much has changed, more of Crain’s character has come out. As city officials still haven't shown any sign of giving him the state of the art stadium he demands, he's become harder and harder to compromise with. He's started to become very disliked among the owners and within top league officials. All of this doesn't bode well, with several other teams securing new deals for new stadiums, Bay Stadium is likely to become the smallest stadium in the league, at just under 40,000 seats. The smallest currently is Chiefs Park, the home of the Bombers, the next would be the famous Ironmen Stadium. But, as will be discussed below, both of those won’t even be used by 1969 as both teams have agreed to new groundbreaking stadium deals. The worst thing that could happen is the Bulldogs could be forced out if Crain can't get a stadium deal together, which at the rate things are going between him and the city, isn't out of the question. But the league hasn't shown any inclination to force a decision right now, so the Bulldogs are safe for at least another season. 
-The Dogs weren’t the only team with stadium news. As stated before, Detroit along with Philadelphia and Pittsburgh all inked big deals to build brand new state of the art stadiums in their respective cities. Pittsburgh notably, would be playing in the country's first domed stadium by 1970. The “Steeldome” as it's been called would hold 65,000 people. This would rank it as the 9th biggest in the league. For Detroit, both the Bombers and Chiefs would be moving out of the legendary Chiefs Park and into a beautiful Detroit Stadium, which by the end of the summer had already started being constructed. It should be ready for the 1969 season. It will become the 3rd largest stadium by capacity at the time of its completion, at 70,000 seats. It’ll be just behind Texas’ Metro Stadium and the Tigers’ LA County Stadium. Philadelphia will be moving out of Wilkes Stadium starting in 1969 and moving into a multipurpose stadium with a capacity of 59,000. Wilkes Stadium, which was formerly known as Eastern Pennsylvania University Stadium, has been used as the shared stadium between the Hornets and the university since 1925. The name change came in 1957 after the death of Gerald Wilkes, the President of the University. The new stadium will be named Liberty Stadium, honoring Philadelphia’s history in America.
-Finally, as you may have noticed, this offseason was the first in which the new free agency rules were in place. The first player to sign a new contract with a new team under the new rules was WR Elijah Wolfstein. He had modified his contract to a 1 year deal last offseason and on the same day that the signing period opened, he had signed with San Francisco.  

NFA Top Stars:
Offense:
1.QB Ron Murray - Washington
2.QB Kieth Lincoln - Los Angeles
3.RB Charley Rodgers - Detroit
4.QB Oscar Washington - Philadelphia
5.WR Paul Hudson - Washington
6.RB Sid Snell - San Francisco
7.QB Curtis Mueller - Cleveland
8.RB Elijah Boone - Miami
9.QB William Brown - Milwaukee
10.QB Scott Hogg - Chicago 

Defense:
1.DE Monty Jones - Washington
2.DE Leo Smitts - Cleveland
3.DT Tyree Matthews - New York
4.DE Greg Waterson - New York
5.CB David Potts - Washington
6.CB Jerry Slaughter - Cincinnati
7.LB Aaron Rose - Detroit
8.DT Bob Daniels - Texas
9.DE Ted Brewer - Miami
10.LB Jack Church- Milwaukee 

Preseason Power Rankings:
1.Washington Pirates
2.Los Angeles Tigers
3.Milwaukee Barbarians
4.Miami Stingrays
5.New York Cannons
6.Philadelphia Hornets
7.Detroit Bombers
8.San Francisco Whales
9.Texas Roughriders
10.Cleveland Rangers
11.Boston Gaels
12.Chicago Zephyrs
13.Minneapolis Blue Ox
14.Pittsburgh Ironmen
15.Cincinnati Sabres
16.Colorado Cougars
17.Baltimore Bulldogs
18.Houston Explorers
19.Seattle Lumberjacks
20.St. Louis Kings 

Identity Changes:
The last part of this offseason was that every team was forced to update to the new NFA template. This new template is ahead of its time. It includes a full facemask, shorter sleeves and names on the back of every jersey. The league also lifted its restrictions on uniform combinations, allowing teams that have 2 pairs of pants to wear either one with either jersey. Many teams took this template change as an opportunity to update their looks. Therefore I’ll go division by division revealing each look over the next couple days.

C&C appreciated! How'd your team do this offseason?

11/17/2020 5:27 pm  #717

I'll go ahead and throw up the first division of uniforms. I'll also showcase what the anniversary patch looks like on the uniforms.

First the Northeastern division. The Hornets were the only one who made a big change in their uniforms, Boston on the other hand made a change to their logo, Washington tweaked their home uniform and added an alternate, and New York and Baltimore made small tweaks. 

Philadelphia’s up first, their logos stay unchanged, but their colors are just slightly darkened. Their new uniforms take a new spin on their current uniforms. Yellow is still worn at home and Black on the road but both are now paired with white pants. Each uniform’s striping is also simplified and white is removed from both of them. The helmet is the biggest change however, switching from yellow to black.Boston’s next. Their logo package had been around forever but their uniforms had just recently changed. To balance things out the team refreshed their logos. The new logo is a 4 leafed clover outlined in orange. A new secondary is the same clover with a B in the center. The uniforms stay the same but the helmet logo is updated to represent the changes state above.
Washington made a tweak to their home uniform. Formerly it featured only red accessories but now, as they add a red alternate, blue is added. Grey pants are also brought back in reference to the uniforms worn from 46-53. The new red alternate is a copy of their away uniform, which doesn’t change, but with red instead of blue.The Cannons only made the small tweak of bringing back yellow pants for the home uniform. They also updated the striping on them from 1 red stripe to 2.The Bulldogs only tweak was allowing black pants to be worn at home and white pants to be worn on the road.
Let me know how they look! I know I said the Pirates weren't going to change their uniforms, but I've had this tweak designed and waiting for a while so I decided to go ahead and change them now. The blue and red uniforms will have priority over the white uniform as well, which kinda brings back the era where they only had a red and blue uniform. Also, how's the new template? I know it's is a bit ahead of it's time, but it's only a representation of one of the variety of uniforms a player can have. Much like irl, some players have longer sleeves, some have 2 bar facemasks still, etc etc. 

11/17/2020 5:36 pm  #718

I like the updates so far, Boston and Philly are my favourite looks of this batch.
The template looks really good as well!

As for the offseason, I like the idea of the Fall Classic. I'm always for traditional games and events that happen during the season like Thanksgiving in the NFL, Labour Day Classic in the CFL, and even the Winter Classic in the NHL.

As for Minne, man just rebuild!!! I don't love the sound of plays having issues with the front office, that makes me worried, hopefully, a real bad year makes them rethink their strategy.

11/17/2020 5:38 pm  #719

So far so good with the new uniforms! Can't wait to see what you have in store for the rest of the league. This should be a fun season! Exciting to hear some teams will get new stadiums! Pittsburgh's in particular sounds interesting. This world's Astrodome I guess. Okay Rangers, lets bounce-back in '68 and show the world our title a few years ago was no fluke! 

Last edited by Rugrat (11/17/2020 5:42 pm)

11/17/2020 7:36 pm  #720

Big fan of the updates for the unis, love to see the Pirates have 3 jerseys, bit of a throwback to our old days.

Interesting also to see a Fall Classic begin play this season, wonder if that will become a tradition. 

Board footera