Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/10/2020 5:49 pm  #701

Re: History of the National Football Association - 1974-75 Season

Favorite: Gaels
Least Favorite: Cannons (cuz it's New York) Tigers (Because LA)
Favorite Uniform: Boston and Detroit
Bad Look: Baltimore

11/10/2020 6:47 pm  #702

What's your favorite team?
Boston Gaels because I'm actually part-Irish.

What's your least favorite team?
Los Angeles Tigers. I want a San Diego franchise.

What's your favorite look out of any team of all time?
St. Louis Kings. Even though these guys are a relatively young franchise, they remind me very much of the WLAF Monarchs. And I mean that as a complement.

What's your least favorite look out of any team of any time?
Least favorite has got to be Miami. Hopefully, the 70's will see the Stingrays embrace the pastels of the art deco hotels.

What are some of your most memorable players?
I've only skimmed through this thread, so I haven't really had a chance to know the players.

Finally, do you have any feedback, or is there anything about this league/universe you want to know that I haven't explained?
I would like to see some background on the history of the league's TV coverage. Also, I'd like to know which players and coaches have made the smoothest jump to the broadcast booth.

Here's a disclaimer I would imagine being recited by the play-by-play guys during a slow part of the game:
This telecast is presented under the authority of the National Football Association. It is intended for the private use of our audience. Any retransmission or other use of this telecast, or of the descriptions and accounts of this game without the express written consent of the National Football Association is prohibited.

Last edited by NeoPrankster (11/10/2020 6:50 pm)

11/10/2020 8:33 pm  #703

Favorite Team: I am a fan of the Cleveland Rangers.  Not only do I appreciate the green and blue color scheme, but the winged helmet reminds me of the Philadelphia Eagles, so this team was always going to be #1 in my book.

Least Favorite Team: San Francisco Whales.  While the Washington Pirates' inability to decide on a primary color is a bit goofy, (akin to the Texas Rangers in baseball, seriously are they a blue or red team?) you really can't change them at this point for the reasons you brought up.  They've been way too successful wearing what they wear.  I personally sorta like the strange bicolor approach they take and remind me in a way of the New York Giants.  So for me, my pick are the Whales, who could use a re-model, as they are a bit plain looking right now.  (which you've brought up could happen soon).  

Favorite and Least Favorite Looks All Time, Favorite Player: As a new viewer, I'll stick with the Cleveland Rangers and San Francisco Whales for now.  And I haven't been around long enough to have a favorite player yet.

Feedback about the Universe: I suppose an all-time win-loss record for each team could be fun to see eventually as a one off treat, but really, other than that, I really can't think of too much else to say right now as your story feels pretty thorough.  I enjoyed the full league look with all the current uniforms and wouldn't mind that being a fixture for future seasons but could completely understand why it may not return.  Guess I'm saying I'm liking what I'm seeing here!

11/10/2020 9:55 pm  #704

Favorite Team: Probably the Cleveland Rangers, as I feel their owl mascot is unique, although I have a soft spot for the New York Cannons and Cincinnati Sabres too. 

Least Favorite Team: I thought the Chicago Zephyrs were kind of boring during their dynasty, but other than that, I don't really have a least favorite NFA team. 

Favorite Look: Probably either Cincinnati or St. Louis. 

Least Favorite Look: Baltimore and San Francisco look kind of bland IMO. 

Feedback about the universe: Like NeoPrankster said, I would be interested in the broadcasting aspects of this league being expanded, and do any NFA teams have cheerleaders currently?

11/11/2020 10:11 pm  #705

Stickman wrote:

Favorite Team: I am a fan of the Cleveland Rangers.  Not only do I appreciate the green and blue color scheme, but the winged helmet reminds me of the Philadelphia Eagles, so this team was always going to be #1 in my book.

Least Favorite Team: San Francisco Whales.  While the Washington Pirates' inability to decide on a primary color is a bit goofy, (akin to the Texas Rangers in baseball, seriously are they a blue or red team?) you really can't change them at this point for the reasons you brought up.  They've been way too successful wearing what they wear.  I personally sorta like the strange bicolor approach they take and remind me in a way of the New York Giants.  So for me, my pick are the Whales, who could use a re-model, as they are a bit plain looking right now.  (which you've brought up could happen soon).  

Favorite and Least Favorite Looks All Time, Favorite Player: As a new viewer, I'll stick with the Cleveland Rangers and San Francisco Whales for now.  And I haven't been around long enough to have a favorite player yet.

Feedback about the Universe: I suppose an all-time win-loss record for each team could be fun to see eventually as a one off treat, but really, other than that, I really can't think of too much else to say right now as your story feels pretty thorough.  I enjoyed the full league look with all the current uniforms and wouldn't mind that being a fixture for future seasons but could completely understand why it may not return.  Guess I'm saying I'm liking what I'm seeing here!

I actually got curious when you brought it up, so I went ahead and made a graph showcasing the regular season win percentage of every team. I'll put it in a spoiler. As for the showcasing the new uniforms every year, I've thought about it, I really like what Steel does and it reminds me a lot of Hawkfan's set up with the PHL back on the mothership. For right now I'm gonna stick without it, just because I don't want to overwhelm myself with too much work, and it took me a while to figure out a really easy standings graphic that I'm gonna start posting. If my schedule gets lighter or I start to feel more confident about it, I might take a stab. Also, you'll see every team's uniforms again this offseason, they're all getting put to a new template.

Here are those graphs:

There's a bit to unpack here. First of all, I've only included teams that have played more than 1 season, so the 7 expansion teams aren't included. Next, Milwaukee's history starts in 1964, as they resolved it with the Ironmen to return their history in Pittsburgh to the new incarnation of the Ironmen. Thirdly, I've included the original Bulldogs franchise, who's history wasn't adopted when the Bulldogs were reincarnated in 1962.
Now, onto the actually data. It was really fascinating to see the stark differences between the 3 expansion groups. The first expansion group, Chicago and Detroit, are two of the top 4 highest on this graph, while the second group, Minneapolis and Cleveland, are split, the Ox coming 2nd highest and the Rangers coming in at 4th lowest, and the last expansion group, Seattle and San Francisco coming in at dead last, next to the original Baltimore franchise. Speaking of the original Baltimore franchise. They were historically bad, like I knew they were bad, enough so they folded, but I wasn't expecting such a drop off from the second to last place to them. 
On the flip side, I wasn't expecting Detroit, or especially Minneapolis to be so high. Minneapolis is only 11 years old and they've won 86 games, that's more than the Ironmen, who've played 7 more NFA seasons then them. (Yes I'm accounting for their 3 year absence.) It only makes it worse that they're still winless in the postseason at 0-6. 
Finally, if your curious, the most wins out of any team is Washington, who have 128, 10 more than the second place Zephyrs. If your curious about every team's record I can post that too.

Also, I made a graph for postseason win percentage:

I think there's not as many surprising things here. I thought Washington's 5 Champions Bowl losses would affect them more, but they're still above .500. The Rangers only have 2 appearances but they're 3-1 in those appearances, so as a Rangers fan, I'd feel satisfied. Finally, out of the 4 teams who have made a postseason appearance but haven't won, Minneapolis is the only team with multiple appearances. Not to lay it too hard on Ox fans but that's more appearances than the Barbarians, Bulldogs and most notably, the Rangers and Cannons, who both have rings. Also, I added all teams that have made the postseason at some point, so no defunct Bulldogs and yes to the Stingrays one appearance this past season.

NeoPrankster wrote:

Boston Gaels because I'm actually part-Irish.

Los Angeles Tigers. I want a San Diego franchise.

St. Louis Kings. Even though these guys are a relatively young franchise, they remind me very much of the WLAF Monarchs. And I mean that as a complement.

Least favorite has got to be Miami. Hopefully, the 70's will see the Stingrays embrace the pastels of the art deco hotels.

I've only skimmed through this thread, so I haven't really had a chance to know the players.

Finally, do you have any feedback, or is there anything about this league/universe you want to know that I haven't explained?
I would like to see some background on the history of the league's TV coverage. Also, I'd like to know which players and coaches have made the smoothest jump to the broadcast booth.

Here's a disclaimer I would imagine being recited by the play-by-play guys during a slow part of the game:
This telecast is presented under the authority of the National Football Association. It is intended for the private use of our audience. Any retransmission or other use of this telecast, or of the descriptions and accounts of this game without the express written consent of the National Football Association is prohibited.

Slapshot Kirby wrote:

Favorite Team: Probably the Cleveland Rangers, as I feel their owl mascot is unique, although I have a soft spot for the New York Cannons and Cincinnati Sabres too. 

Least Favorite Team: I thought the Chicago Zephyrs were kind of boring during their dynasty, but other than that, I don't really have a least favorite NFA team. 

Favorite Look: Probably either Cincinnati or St. Louis. 

Least Favorite Look: Baltimore and San Francisco look kind of bland IMO. 

Feedback about the universe: Like NeoPrankster said, I would be interested in the broadcasting aspects of this league being expanded, and do any NFA teams have cheerleaders currently?

The broadcasting history is very similar to the NFL. Teams had local broadcasts up until the league signed a league wide deal in the summer 1957. All but 1 team made the jump that year, the last team being the Gaels, who finished a contract with local networks before signing onto the new deal the next season in 1958. They originally signed a 6 year deal with CBS but have since negotiated another contract for 10 years in 1963. When the SFL was founded in 1964, they reached a short term deal with ABC to air their games, who was frustrated that they couldn't get in on the deal with CBS for the NFA. However, with all the controversy, they had to terminate the contract and although it was overshadowed by other drama in the league, it played a part in the league's downfall. It's assumed that when the current deal the NFA has with CBS expires, they'll try and reach a newer deal and ABC will get a piece of the pie.
As for coaches who've made the switch to the booth, the only notable coach to have retired in general is Bob Urchin. Urchin coached the Ironmen from '39 to '57, winning 2 Champions Bowls, amassing a record of 47-53 record and was a friend to the then owner John Coffee. He would retire in '57 at 56 years old, but came back in 1960 to coach the Lumberjacks for their first 4 years, but retired once again after his contract ended. He went 16-30. Since then he's done some broadcasting, but mostly at a local level, commentating games for the Ironmen on local channels.
Out of the other coaches to have retired, such as Wilson Cursoe and William Towles, who both had more notable careers, haven't dabbled much in broadcasting, both are much older, 73 and 67 respectively, and have enjoyed retirement out of the public eye.

11/11/2020 10:31 pm  #706

Favorite Team: Houston Explorers, Of Course 
Least Favorite Team: Boston Gaels
Favorite Look: MY EXPLORERS!
Least Favorite Look: None. Of. Them.
Memorable Players: I Can't Really Remember

Texans.Astros.Rockets.Lighting. 

11/12/2020 12:55 pm  #707

New York Cannons, because I'm a New Yorker, of course

Philadelphia Hornets and Boston Gaels

New York, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Seattle

Washington, Milwaukee, Miami, and Minneapolis

RB Quentin Brookes. He helped New York to their first NFA Championship in 1953.

Last edited by joho42x (11/20/2020 7:24 am)

11/12/2020 5:45 pm  #708

Really interesting statistics there Pepper, definitely a few surprises, thanks for uploading that!   Yeah, I'd be totally down for an all time win loss record list!

11/13/2020 4:38 pm  #709

Hell, I missed months of this. Anything good I miss?

11/13/2020 6:49 pm  #710

TOUCHDOWN QB EAGLES wrote:

Hell, I missed months of this. Anything good I miss?

Not for the Tigers, no.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

Board footera