Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/01/2020 5:10 am  #681

Re: Torland Hockey League: THL 2.0

Section30 wrote:

You already know I love claret and blue so the Wizards are a huge yes from me.

Sina is definitely interesting, the colors are unique but not overwhelming (at least to me), and the logo has a nice classic feel and it'll be interesting to see how their look evolves over time.

I was a big fan of the red, blue, and yellow for the Rockets, but I'd be lying if I said that this was a downgrade. The navy and red just look so good together with that stripe style and removing the third color really cleans up their whole look.

Thanks man, I had a feeling you'd like the Wizards. Haha.

dvdbubba27 wrote:

Welp, time for a rebuild.

Goodbye, Lauri, and thanks for the memories. You'll always be the captain in our hearts. I can't wait to see #18 in the rafters next to #2, #17, #33, and #45. On a happier note, congratulations to Don Easterling, Shane Galbraith, Paul Kauffman, and Rudy Nichols on going into the Hall of Fame, and extra congratulations to Gary Wiz on not only also going into the Hall of Fame, but on becoming co-owner and general manager of the Alko Wizards. I hope does a good job.

I'm surprised to see Sina get an expansion team, and I wish the Wildcats came back. The expansion teams look nice, though - Sina in particular. Chicken pox references aside, that logo sure looks nice. Let's just hope they don't give Adam O the captain's C. (I hate that guy)

The new Trowburgh third looks solid, but I'm not happy to see Dimitri Ranko leave the Anchors for the Herons. I just wish he'd patch things up with the Anchors' front office. I'm not be biggest fan of the Rockets' new look, though. I think the lack of yellow waters down the look.

I'm sure Section30 will agree with me on this next take: If this turns out to be Geno Pasternak's final season, I sure hope his final regular season game at Yertas Arena is one for the ages. If they hold any sort of post-game ceremony to immediately retire #10 and raise it to the rafters, I won't be surprised.

Also, fire John Morgan Hatch for crying out loud!

​Everyone else in the league was surprised about Sina as well, so it remains to be seen how the team does. Adam O has his detractors but appears to be fully rehabilitated. Adam Bogdanov, former captain of the Killers, will be wearing the C though.

Ranko isn't necessarily leaving on bad terms, the team just couldn't give him what he wanted as they won't be contending soon.

Geno has been notoriously coy about his retirement plans so it's been difficult for people to make plans but for the probable best player in the league, there have definitely been some ideas floating around on how to honor him.

Lastly, Hatch's schtick is wearing thin and there have been rumors that some of the owners would like him gone.

ThisIsFine wrote:

Finally got around to adding your Bancana sig, at the expense of my rickroll. Go Kings!

Thanks, glad you like it!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

11/01/2020 5:27 am  #682

1983 REGULAR SEASON

Willard Division: In what figured to be the weakest division, it was the Rockets and Pioneers who battled for the title. Fort Bevin squeaked ahead by a single point to win it behind clutch play from D Pat Ossola and F Nigel Flood. The Pioneers saw a transcendent performance from defenseman Thomas Nelissen who carried a battered and anemic offense and held down the defensive side of the ice nearly on his own, while logging a record number of minutes on the ice. Nelissen easily won Best Defenseman and also snagged the MVP hardware for his part in dragging the Pioneers into the playoffs. Predictably, the Serpents struggled defensively but the offense with rookie Kedzierski and veterans Oreskovich and Bogdanov showed nice promise. The Whales were actively and unashamedly tanking but still managed 73 points while scoring the 2nd-least total goals. The Anchors were expected to do poorly but showed plenty of willpower with team play and tough defense.

Hatch Division: All the hype was on the Herons and their loaded roster after the addition of free agent F Dimitri Ranko and they did not disappoint as they cruised to the top of the league and the division. Goalie Brendon Ruske picked up where he left off from last year and elevated his game even further, easily winning Best Goalie. F Mozzy Turk found instant chemistry with Ranko as they formed a lethal scoring combo with center Jan Luc Ryba running point. In a tough division all jockeying for the second spot, it was the Swans who edged out the Neptunes and Blazers behind incredible play from goalie Andre Kabbani and forward Jerry Haake. It's an especially disappointing break for Narva. who will miss the playoffs with a 113 points and 9th-best record, but were hoping to make a final run with Kris Kotulak and their veterans. The Blazers had a better team than last year's squad who made the playoffs but with other divisions being more crowded, were also left out. The offense grew behind Eric Jorgensen and Robert Zoppa, however, and D Jan Mikulec's superb play gives Prestonburg hope for the future. The Kodiaks made a furious push late in the season but while the net and defense were solid, the line chemistry was poor with Marc Truong gone and Pascal Brink a shell of his former self. The new Wizards couldn't score worth a lick as expected but showed some moxie late in the season in a respectable showing for an expansion team.

Elam Division: The reigning 3-time champions in Chasonne struggled out of the gate, allowing the Quebel Crusaders to race to the top of the division. Everything finally clicked for Quebel as their patented brand of defense complimented a surging offense behind F Joel Eklund and F Ryan Rutkin. Rookie D Viktor Nurmi solidified the blue line as the Crusaders won their first division title and will make their first playoff appearance. The Heralds, meanwhile, played uninspired hockey outside of typical output from F Gian Guiliano, their 110 points would have left them outside the playoffs in any other division, and will enter the playoffs as the #10 wildcard. The Barbarians couldn't build on their recent success as their offense sputtered behind a litany of injuries. The Saints also had high hopes but poor team chemistry doomed their season yet again. For the first time perhaps in their history, the Kirk Boys looked lost on the ice without Draper, McKnight and Rikhard. They have some talented young players but the roster is a mess as expected and the Captains are experiencing major growing pains.

Rankin Division: In a hotly contested division by six surging teams, it was the Glaciers and Killers who didn't make it through murderer's row. Kurohara had wanted to stay in the Willard but instead got sent to the wood chipper in the Rankin. Alex Kirkland and company held their ground to a respectable effort, as the team devoted themselves to growth and fundamentals. The Glaciers saw their team chemistry plummet with new coaching and roster turnover but somehow managed 26 wins. It was the Kavalos Electrics who shot up the leaderboard as F Leo Stendahl and D Darren Cain led the squad to 40 wins in a brilliant team effort as they took the title in the final week. The feisty Bucks, however, were right on their tails as forward David Suvak cashed in an historic scoring season for Best Forward as the fun-loving team found some real intensity on the boards and behind the blue line. In Geno Pasternak's probable final season, the Falcons played inspired hockey, riding a more defensively stout unit with former Whales goalie Scott Kemper backstopping Malcolm Jackson and Ryan Devlin on the blue line. The Sava Side tied points with Bancana but edged them on more wins. The Kings started slow but gained confidence toward the end of the season to surge into 6th-place overall as Pete Lentini and the Sallee brothers finally get a taste of the THL playoffs. Wiseman and rookie Harmaajarvi were solid in goal as Jeremy Jessa and Filip Korcz held down the blue line.

Playoff Preview

Pioneers vs Kings
Pete Lentini's Kings are favored here but Thomas Nelissen has been carrying the Pioneers all season long. 

Heralds vs Falcons
The champs should never be taken lightly while the Sava Side is determined to give Geno a great last run at another Cup for his legendary career.

Crusaders vs Swans
The Swans are surging but the Crusaders are surging even more. Both teams are young and on a hot pace in what figures to be an intense series.

Rockets vs Bucks
Fort Bevin has some formidable players in Pat Ossola and Nigel Flood but the Bucks are flying high and hitting even harder.

Byes: Trowburgh Herons, Kavalos Electrics

C&C always appreciated
Up next: 1983 Playoffs

11/01/2020 9:33 am  #683

As always, excellent write up on the season!  Few notes as always.

The Sina Serpents and Alko Wizards being bad isn't surprising being expansion teams.  Despite having the worse season though, my gut's telling me that the Wizards might make a quicker rise to playoff contention than the Serpents will despite being in a tougher division.

The Whales tanking is one of the storylines I'll be following closely.  It stinks for the fans, but it's always interesting when teams do this.  If it works out, all the early draft picks the Whales will obtain will help them not only turn things around quickly, but will make them a youthful contender with a wide open window of opportunity for many championships!  If it backfires, the Whales waste many years of their fans' lives and they risk becoming a joke to the league.  The timing is very curious too, since the THL just added 2 new teams to the league, both of whom will likely be worse than the Whales for at least another year or two, meaning they'll be getting those higher draft picks.  It definitely will make this tanking process a tricky one to maneuver around.  Very interested to see how this plays out! 

The Heralds three-peat was awesome to see, but it's looking like that run will end soon.  It seems like motivation was the problem here, which is not a good thing when facing a Yubay Falcons team that IS really motivated and wants to win one more championship for Geno Pasternak before he retires!

The Trowburgh Herons definitely are getting their moneys worth after making some off season moves!  It really does seem like this could finally be their year!  

Prediction: Herons over Bucks in the finals 4 games to 2.  Thinking the Falcons will make it to the final 4 before running into the Herons and I think the Crusaders are just a year away at this point and will fall to the Bucks in the semis.

Can't wait to see how this plays out!

11/01/2020 10:05 am  #684

Let’s go Bucks!

11/01/2020 11:01 am  #685

Dang, tough to see the Glaciers near the bottom. Not surprised to see the Wizards and Serpents at the bottom, expansion teams have a hard time. Hoping that anyone but the Falcons wins it, though the Herons are my team to root for this playoffs.

11/02/2020 11:30 am  #686

Let's go Swans! Tough fight to the finish.

[/url][url=https://ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=190]
www.yorkland.tk <--- Official home of the fictional country of Yorkland

11/04/2020 10:14 pm  #687

Stickman wrote:

The Whales tanking is one of the storylines I'll be following closely.  It stinks for the fans, but it's always interesting when teams do this.  If it works out, all the early draft picks the Whales will obtain will help them not only turn things around quickly, but will make them a youthful contender with a wide open window of opportunity for many championships!  If it backfires, the Whales waste many years of their fans' lives and they risk becoming a joke to the league.  The timing is very curious too, since the THL just added 2 new teams to the league, both of whom will likely be worse than the Whales for at least another year or two, meaning they'll be getting those higher draft picks.  It definitely will make this tanking process a tricky one to maneuver around.  Very interested to see how this plays out!

Very astute observation. This was part of the reason Seymour Duval was so adamant against expansion, which unfortunately cost him his ownership. The expansion teams greatly hinder their ability for the top choice. His son Steve will be the one figuring that situation out in Portarra. There are some really good prospects but with a lottery for the top four picks, it could be a dicey situation.

11/04/2020 10:19 pm  #688

1983 THL PLAYOFFS

Wildcard Round

7 Portarra Pioneers vs 10 Bancana Kings
Portarra greeted the Kings with a 7-0 shutout in Game 1 but Bancana returned with OT wins in Games 2 and 4 to extend the series. Nelissen sent the Pioneers onward with a 3-1 victory in an exciting 5-game series. [PTP wins 3-2]

8 Chasonne Heralds vs 9 Yubay Falcons
A 4-3 OT finish in Game 1 let the Heralds show their mettle but the Falcons proceeded to blitz them with a trio of 5-1 games to take the short series by storm. [YUB wins 3-1]

Quarterfinals

1 Trowburgh Herons vs 9 Yubay Falcons
If this is indeed the final hurrah for Geno Pasternak, the Falcons made it a good one in a brilliant 7-game thriller that shattered TV ratings. Brendon Ruske posted three shutouts and both teams traded big moments and shots. A late OT wrister from Pasternak in Game 3. A 1-0 game on a Mozzy Turk goal in Game 5. Ultimately, the Herons pulled away in Game 7 to take the series. [TRO wins 4-3] 

2 Kavalos Electrics vs 7 Portarra Pioneers
The Pioneers put up a fight with two games going to OT but even a superhuman effort from Thomas Nelissen wasn't enough to keep Leo Stendahl and the fast-paced Electrics at bay for long. [KAV wins 4-1]

3 Quebel Crusaders vs 6 Vensessor Swans
The Crusaders showed their newfound ability to win in the clutch as they weathered a pair of OT games to pull off a somewhat surprising sweep of the Swans who played well but couldn't do enough to stop Quebel. [QUE wins 4-0]

4 Fort Bevin Rockets vs 5 Abrieden Bucks
In a shocking event, a runaway bus crashed into an All-Star player autograph signing tent outside of Lone Prairie Arena before Game 1 which caused multiple injuries to players on both teams, including the Rockets' F Nigel Flood and G Geoff Thatchkin, while the Bucks' F David Suvak, F Ric Rundstrom, and G Vassily Wuopio all sustained major injuries. Game 1 was delayed by several days but none of the injured players would be able to return to the series. Instead, it was the Rockets backup goalie Kenny Ratliff who proceeded to log four-straight shutouts as the decimated Bucks couldn't find the net with Pat Ossola patrolling the ice on the both ends. The series had a somber tone and the Rockets decided to forego their normal postgame celebrations and hold a moment of silence for their injured brothers. [FTB wins 4-0]

After the series, Thatchkin was released from the hospital first, but on strict concussion and brace protocol monitoring for head and neck injuries. Flood sustained a fractured ankle and was put into a light cast and walking boot. Suvak's right leg was fractured in three places and nearly needed to be amputated but doctors were able to save it, though his recovery could be for an extended time period, and may miss the next season. Wuopio stayed in the hospital for two weeks as he sustained extensive trauma to his ribs and internal organs, with doctors having to remove his spleen and a kidney. He is expected to make a full recovery but it's unknown if he'll be ready for next season. Rundstrom remains in ICU as severe trauma to his heart and lungs induced a temporary coma. His vitals are stabilized after multiple surgeries but it's unknown how long it'll take for him to regain his faculties. All the news put a damper on the excitement of the playoffs. 

Semi-Finals

1 Trowburgh Herons vs 4 Fort Bevin Rockets
With Nigel Flood sidelined and Geoff Thatchkin iffy after a scary crash in the quarterfinals, the Rockets have a tall order against the potent Herons. An opening 9-0 salvo from Trowburgh set the tone but the Rockets fought back with a 5-0 victory in Game 3 at the LPA and narrowly lost a 5-6 double OT thriller in Game 4 on a slapshot from Mozzy Turk. Undeterred, Fort Bevin posted a 1-0 shutout in Trowburgh. Game 6 was one for the ages as the teams against went to double overtime after a 5-5 score. This time it was Dimitri Ranko who found a home for the winner to escape past a bruised but proud Rockets squad and send the Herons to their first Cup appearance. [TRO wins 4-2]

2 Kavalos Electrics vs 3 Quebel Crusaders
The Crusaders were confident after dismantling the Swans but they ran straight into a buzzsaw against Kavalos. Quebel had no answers for the overwhelming Electrics attack as G Gregg Steinecke logged two shutouts behind stellar play from D Darren Cain and F Leo Stendahl. The convincing win catapults the Kavs to their first Cup appearance. [KAV wins 4-0]

Up next: The Herons and Electrics will duke it out for the 1983 Marcotte Cup!

C&C appreciated. I separated out the rounds (first time I've ever used artboards in Photoshop!) so hopefully y'all like the new style better this way.

11/04/2020 11:27 pm  #689

How the hell did that bus accident happen, and more importantly, how did no one die?

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

11/04/2020 11:31 pm  #690

Well it was a nice run while it lasted, it'll be tough to see Geno go if this is really his final game

Go Electrics

Board footera