Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/31/2019 10:45 am  #1

READ BEFORE POSTING: Fiction Forum Guidelines

AHS Fiction Forum Guidelines 

Existing team logos for fiction about that existing team is permissible. 
-If the Brooklyn Dodgers that never moved to LA, all Dodgers logos before 1957 could be used unaltered. Any logos after 1957, however, would need to be original logos.  
-If the LA Dodgers in 1999 decided to move back to Brooklyn to become the Brooklyn Dodgers, all logos up to present day could be used unaltered. If any change takes place (adding or subtracting colors, changing fonts, etc.), a new, original logo must be created for use.  

Altering existing images is permitted with credit given to the author of or a link to the original image.
-You must do more than alter the color, size, or position of the image.-You must credit the original image in the post containing the altered image. 
-This includes “free use” images.
 -”Frankenstein” logos will face high levels of scrutiny and are more likely to be flagged. 

Do not include elements in original logos that could be considered offensive.
-This includes caricature logos that are era appropriate. 

Simply simulating a league and reporting the results is not enough for a fictional league. 
-While potentially interesting, there needs to be some character focus in the development of your league. You can have a small cast or one that rivals Game of Thrones and you can focus on the owners, the players, or the equipment managers, but characters need to exist in some form in your narrative.  

Be constructive when offering critique.
-A creator asking for advice on how to better their work is looking for ways to improve. Simply saying that their work is perfect isn’t helpful. Likewise, telling them that their work is terrible and they should give up isn’t helpful and it will also result in disciplinary action.

No Threadjacking 
-We appreciate being appreciated, but unnecessarily bloating topics with unrelated banter only brings a series down and isn't respectful to the creator. Make sure all replies and content is relevant to the topic or series and helps encourage the creator or promote the series. 

Grammar and spelling errors happen.
-But we are still looking to maintain a level of quality on this forum. Please spell-check your work on both your logos and your narrative. If you spot one, let the creator know. If you’re the creator, fix it and move on. If you don’t care, you’re in the wrong place. 

Be sure that your fiction is ready for public view before posting.
-An idea for a league is not enough. You must have at least one season worth of content posted within your first 5 posts unless you are posting team identities first. If that is the case, all team identities must be posted within a week of your first post and the first season posted no more than 5 posts after the last team identity.

Guidelines are enforced in addition to the AHS General Code of Conduct.
Guidelines are subject to update and/or change at the moderation team's discretion.
Any member in violation of the listed guidelines or other actions not listed but deemed harmful is subject to disciplinary action.

Last edited by Balu the Bare (5/31/2019 10:48 am)

Only the written records of his travels survive.

8/29/2019 10:36 pm  #2

Re: READ BEFORE POSTING: Fiction Forum Guidelines

I’m working on an alt fiction set in an alternate universe where the MLB never expanded to Canada and the country created a league in 1963. I was going to use the Blue Jays and Expos logos, with some differences, including:

-A Tweaked modern day Blue Jays cap, some altered uniforms, and the team’s 90s logo with the shadowed bird not existing. Also, a pre-70s Cardinals-style fauxback.

-An Expos pre-1969 fauxback with grey road jerseys, and an imagining of some of their jerseys beyond 2005.

Would this be considered acceptable? Please let me know.

-Patrick

-

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

9/03/2019 9:37 pm  #3

Sorry it took so long to get back to you about this, Patrick.
To answer your question, as you've described your league the Expos would be fine to tweak, but the Blue Jays would not.  The Expos identity, according to mod research, was in the works long before they came into existence, but the Blue Jays weren't introduced into the MLB until 1977. You could still use the name, but any identity for a Toronto Blue Jays team would have to be original works.

If you're able to provide some evidence that the 1977 Blue Jays identity was in the works at (or possibly around) the time of your league's founding OR you're willing to push back your league's start date to 1977 or later the mod team and I will reconsider,  but for now the ruling is: 
Expos yes, Blue Jays no.

Last edited by Balu the Bare (9/03/2019 9:39 pm)

9/03/2019 10:02 pm  #4

I was thinking the Blue jays introduce the logo they had at the time of their real life founding in the 1972 season.

9/04/2019 8:13 am  #5

While a little better, your Blue Jays would still be closer to a decade away from their real life original founding. The point of the rule is that to use the identity it has to essentially be the same team, founding date included. Like I mentioned before, you could move the start date of your league back to the Blue Jay's real life creation if you're dead-set on using a tweaked identity, or wait to introduce them as a team in your league until after their founding, or something along those lines, but as it stands right now any Toronto Blue Jays identity started in 1963 would have to be an original work. 

9/04/2019 6:05 pm  #6

Possible solution:
Team starts out with different name, but becomes Blue Jays in 1978 due to lack of fan interest.
Thoughts?

9/05/2019 11:21 pm  #7

That would be fine.

...no pun intended.

9/06/2019 6:14 pm  #8

Well, that helps a lot. Thanks, Balu. I’ll send you updates as soon as I can!

-Patrick

9/14/2019 11:03 am  #9

I've actually got a question with an idea that I've got for a fictional league.  I've been toying around with the idea of a community based story where the community will choose all the teams cities, names colors, even the league format. I know that's like what an expansion council generally does, but the idea would be to do this from the very beginning of the league's birth. 

Anyway, the point out what I'm asking about is this.  I know the rules say we have to have all team identities announced within the first week of the first post.  Not to mention that we have to start releasing team identities within the first 5 posts.

Could we make a minor exception to that rule given that I would ideally like to give the community some time to discuss which cities, team names, and colors they want in this league?.  I would be requesting a week to allow the community time to select cities, a week for them to vote on team names, and maybe a third week to determine team colors, league name and division/playoff formats. 

I know technically people could just send me PMs to cast votes to abide by the rules, but I feel that the banter and discussions could prove valuable and allow everyone to see where everyone else is coming from with their reasons for their selections. I believe that would better for such a community based league.  

Any thoughts?

9/14/2019 1:00 pm  #10

Stickman wrote:

I've actually got a question with an idea that I've got for a fictional league.  I've been toying around with the idea of a community based story where the community will choose all the teams cities, names colors, even the league format. I know that's like what an expansion council generally does, but the idea would be to do this from the very beginning of the league's birth. 

Anyway, the point out what I'm asking about is this.  I know the rules say we have to have all team identities announced within the first week of the first post.  Not to mention that we have to start releasing team identities within the first 5 posts.

Could we make a minor exception to that rule given that I would ideally like to give the community some time to discuss which cities, team names, and colors they want in this league?.  I would be requesting a week to allow the community time to select cities, a week for them to vote on team names, and maybe a third week to determine team colors, league name and division/playoff formats. 

I know technically people could just send me PMs to cast votes to abide by the rules, but I feel that the banter and discussions could prove valuable and allow everyone to see where everyone else is coming from with their reasons for their selections. I believe that would better for such a community based league.  

Any thoughts?

I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as you do make the concepts.

Board footera