Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/03/2020 3:47 pm  #1

best tools to make concepts

I'd really like to work towards doing a huge multi-league "Coalition" simulation. As its something I've roughly worked on my own for years but either not in-depth enough or long enough to share it. However, I don't have any tools, and probably no skills in, in creating jerseys, logos, etc. I know a lot of people use Illustrator but since I dont plan on becoming a graphic designer I'd rather not spend the money on getting that. Are there any other good tools to create logos/uniforms for simulations? I've done several write-ups for leagues previously and feel confident in that skill but unsure if I should approach a project this large without any way of doing designs (I previously attempted a Handball league simulation without concepts, it went alright, but I lost interest quickly due to school). I could try my hand at drawing them, like I did when I was 12, but unsure if thats really the route I intend to go towards. 

Since this is a larger project than the other projects ive attempted (ive attempted a lot more than what ive ever shared), I'd like to get it right this time. Though it will probably take some time. 
I already have roughly 70 years simulated in the soccer league, and im looking to start the OOTP simulation soon (OOTP decided to not work so I have to figure that out). I would like to start with those 2 leagues first since they'd be the easiest for me to start, then branch into other leagues like Football, Hockey, Lacrosse, etc. as the history of the leagues unfold (I have plans regarding those as well)

Runs the highly unsuccessful PSC project featuring the Premier Soccer League and National Baseball Federation

9/03/2020 4:08 pm  #2

Re: best tools to make concepts

I know before I wanted to make the jump to illustrator I used a program called sketch.  It was much cheaper and got the job done. I know for uniforms, Google uniforms that are good with 'PAINT'.  Just a couple of ideas, good luck!

9/03/2020 4:24 pm  #3

I used Inkscape for a while when I was just starting out, It's free and has some similar feel to Illustrator. Paint for uniforms could work too. Best of luck!

9/03/2020 10:19 pm  #4

I’ve used gimp for all my stuff, it can be limiting at times but it’s also free.

9/04/2020 7:57 am  #5

MS Paint and Clip Studio Paint are what I use. Clip Studio does require a drawing tablet, but that's same cheap compared to other programs. Also, some WACOM tablets come with a free download of 3 Clip programs.

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

9/04/2020 8:09 am  #6

I use Inkscape as I needed a free alternative to illustrator. It’s worked really well for me in the 5-6 months I’ve been using it. It takes a bit to get used to, but I Ike it

9/04/2020 9:09 am  #7

I'm gonna go ahead and plug Gravit. It's free, cloud-based, can work with just about any type of vector file, and can be accessed from your browser or as a desktop app. I've used it for just about everything I've ever made.

[url=ahsports.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=23]National Dashball League[/url] || [url=boards.sportslogos.net/topic/119263-r/]US Quadball Redesign[/url]

9/04/2020 9:22 am  #8

ItDoesntMatter wrote:

I'm gonna go ahead and plug Gravit. It's free, cloud-based, can work with just about any type of vector file, and can be accessed from your browser or as a desktop app. I've used it for just about everything I've ever made.

I'd like to second Gravit. I don't use it personally because I enjoy the perks I get from having an Adobe membership, but I have used it in the past and it's an excellent, free, browser-based vector file program.

Board footera