Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/03/2020 11:04 pm  #11

Re: The Ideas Thread

The Virginia Maritime Academy Frigates. That should be the name.

Last edited by GregTheWolf144 (9/03/2020 11:13 pm)

9/03/2020 11:24 pm  #12

Greg’s post made me realize how long of a name Virginia Maritime Academy is. If we choose that, we may have to shorten it to Virginia Maritime.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

9/03/2020 11:27 pm  #13

FC Macbeth wrote:

A brief research into Colorado's cities leads me to Longmont with a population nearly less than 100,000. As for the college name, it can be just as simple as Longmont College or Longs Peak College. The latter is an interesting one considering the city's name origins because it's also named after railway engineer Stephen Long, who was known for contributing his steam locomotives designs.

For the mascot, I'm going to say 'Locomotives' for the alliteration and the link up with Long's involvement with locomotives. That is if you want to lean into the Transportation imagery.

However, if you want to lean on the Exploration part, I suggest 'Pioneers' or 'Settlers'.

Anyone got ideas with that?

I got an idea for possibly placing the campus in Grand Junction. It’s a bit smaller than 100,000 but I like the idea of having the campus not near Denver. And while not completely connected to the city itself, I like the name Railsplitters. I think that falls under transportation. If not then I do like Locomotives, Pioneers, and Settlers. I think using something incorporating the state instead of the city would also work better. Most universities irl are named after the state, so I think I’d be good to go in that direction. But I’m open for discussion of course!

As for the identity, we were given white, which makes me believe this is supposed to be a one color school, similar to BYU or Oklahoma. So I think using maroon, red, or royal blue with white would look really classy. I’d love to hear what the rest of the group has in mind too.

9/03/2020 11:41 pm  #14

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

FC Macbeth wrote:

A brief research into Colorado's cities leads me to Longmont with a population nearly less than 100,000. As for the college name, it can be just as simple as Longmont College or Longs Peak College. The latter is an interesting one considering the city's name origins because it's also named after railway engineer Stephen Long, who was known for contributing his steam locomotives designs.

For the mascot, I'm going to say 'Locomotives' for the alliteration and the link up with Long's involvement with locomotives. That is if you want to lean into the Transportation imagery.

However, if you want to lean on the Exploration part, I suggest 'Pioneers' or 'Settlers'.

I got an idea for possibly placing the campus in Grand Junction. It’s a bit smaller than 100,000 but I like the idea of having the campus not near Denver. And while not completely connected to the city itself, I like the name Railsplitters. I think that falls under transportation. If not then I do like Locomotives, Pioneers, and Settlers. I think using something incorporating the state instead of the city would also work better. Most universities irl are named after the state, so I think I’d be good to go in that direction. But I’m open for discussion of course!

As for the identity, we were given white, which makes me believe this is supposed to be a one color school, similar to BYU or Oklahoma. So I think using maroon, red, or royal blue with white would look really classy. I’d love to hear what the rest of the group has in mind too.

I know I probably shouldn’t be helping other groups, but either Forest Green or Black would look really good with white, IMO.

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

9/03/2020 11:42 pm  #15

MyTeamIsDr.Pepper wrote:

FC Macbeth wrote:

Railsplitter refers to people who cut logs vertically to build fences. It has nothing to do with the Transportation part.

As for the colours, white should be the focal point in what scheme should we use. Would double red suit well to compliment with the white? It could be Maroon or Cardinal with something like Redwood or Light Red combined with white.

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

9/03/2020 11:58 pm  #16

I really like Ironclads for a name and I think that an A&M style color scheme of maroon with an almost gray would fit the name well. As for location I think Virginia Maritime has a good ring to it.

Virginia Maritime Ironclads is a pretty sick name if I do say so myself

9/04/2020 12:24 am  #17

Looking at the feedback, it appears you all like the Virginia Maritime Ironclads brand.

If CCLXXXVII's good with the name, we can go full steam ahead.

9/04/2020 12:40 am  #18

Rugrat wrote:

Our first project team 4 is to create a Puerto Rico based college with a insect mascot, a city population between 250,000 and 500,000, founded between 1800 and 1850 and we have to import the color green in the logo and uniforms. 

I think we are cornered into one city. We also have an insanely unfamiliar task for me personally. Foreign place, foreign mascot and I wish that was green because it would lend support to insect, but it is actually a teal. I laughed when I first randomized this prompt then I realized it was our team and I cursed the gods. Since we have Puerto Rico first I think we get free reign on using “puerto rico” in the college name if we want. I’ll do more research on native insects to make it unique, too. I am certain that teal will be a perfect accent to go with typical, aggressive bug colors. (Black/red/yellow)

9/04/2020 1:02 am  #19

I'm a little confused on how vague Status is for my group. 

9/04/2020 1:36 am  #20

Darknes wrote:

I'm a little confused on how vague Status is for my group. 

Think in terms of title. Simple use could be Kings, Dukes, Generals. NHL example that would be a little more creative is Senators. MLB is Royals. Want an older school feel you could go Seniors or Varsity Blues is a good example from Toronto. A reach on the idea could be Stars. It doesn’t have to be high status though. An example of that could be cadets. Even maybe some pride in there like status found in states such as the Sooners. It could be the highest rank, the lowest rank, the first to something or the last and everything in between. I know it’s a little harder but New York feels like a playground of opportunity (Hats off to the AltFL going with Emperors because that’s prime time). If you have an idea but aren’t 100% sure I’m positive the QCS could help force it to fit in the category.

Last edited by Thehealthiestscratch (9/04/2020 1:40 am)

Board footera