Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/03/2020 9:17 pm  #1

The Ideas Thread

Hey, everyone! This is a thread where you can share ideas for your schools. Whether it's something for a mascot you don't have or just one that couldn't quite make it, feel free to share it here!

9/03/2020 9:37 pm  #2

Re: The Ideas Thread

Ok gang, so our task is to create a university in Virginia themed around Industry. Here’s what I can offer:

*The closest city to the population requirement of 500,000 is Virginia Beach, part of the Hampton Roads Metropolitan Area.
*That area has a large military presence, and in nearby Newport News is a shipyard. That’s an Industry related to the area.
*Colors to compliment the brown could either be blue or teal for water, and grey for ships. those are potential color choices.

I haven’t decided on whether to lean towards navy-themed names, or shipbuilding-themed names. The university name could either be Virginia Atlantic or Virginia Naval.

Any thoughts or other ideas?

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

9/03/2020 9:44 pm  #3

ThisIsFine wrote:

Ok gang, so our task is to create a university in Virginia themed around Industry. Here’s what I can offer:

*The closest city to the population requirement of 500,000 is Virginia Beach, part of the Hampton Roads Metropolitan Area.
*That area has a large military presence, and in nearby Newport News is a shipyard. That’s an Industry related to the area.
*Colors to compliment the brown could either be blue or teal for water, and grey for ships. those are potential color choices.

I haven’t decided on whether to lean towards navy-themed names, or shipbuilding-themed names. The university name could either be Virginia Atlantic or Virginia Naval.

Any thoughts or other ideas?

Brown and teal technically already exists IRL with Coastal Carolina, and brown and gray wouldn't really work--they kinda look muddy when combined. You could go a lighter brown and silver.

As for the name, why not Naval Academy of Virginia (NAV)?

9/03/2020 9:55 pm  #4

CCLXXXVII wrote:

Brown and teal technically already exists IRL with Coastal Carolina, and brown and gray wouldn't really work--they kinda look muddy when combined. You could go a lighter brown and silver.

As for the name, why not Naval Academy of Virginia (NAV)?

I don’t think we’re allowed to go for a lighter brown. We could use metallic grey, and we could use light blue instead of teal. Blue could make a good outline color to keep the brown from blending into the grey.

Also, nice name suggestion, but what about a team name and mascot?

9/03/2020 9:56 pm  #5

I thought our color was maroon...if so, maroon and gray would work.

As for the name, I was thinking the Virginia Maritime Academy (VMA), patterned off the existing schools in Massachusetts and Maine.

My idea for our nickname would be the Ironclads (named after the Civil War Battle of Hampton Roads between the USS Monitor and CSS Virginia, the first naval battle between two ironclad ships-they were so strong, the battle ended in a stalemate).  Imagine the marketing possibilities with that name...Ironclad is a way of life.

Last edited by Burmy87 (9/03/2020 10:09 pm)

9/03/2020 10:00 pm  #6

I checked, and yeah, it looked brown before, but it’s definitely maroon. We can still use blue and grey though.

Also, I think we have a university name standoff between Virginia Atlantic, Naval Academy of Virginia, and Virginia Maritime Academy. My mascot proposal is Shipbuilders.

9/03/2020 10:01 pm  #7

ThisIsFine wrote:

I checked, and yeah, it looked brown before, but it’s definitely maroon. We can still use blue and grey though.

Also, I think we have a university name standoff between Virginia Atlantic, Naval Academy of Virginia, and Virginia Maritime Academy. My mascot proposal is Shipbuilders.

Edited my post above with the Ironclads mascot proposal.

9/03/2020 10:12 pm  #8

Burmy87 wrote:

ThisIsFine wrote:

Edited my post above with the Ironclads mascot proposal.

Extremely Creative. Now we just need Section30 to chip in with his ideas, and we can start nailing things down.

9/03/2020 10:52 pm  #9

Our first project team 4 is to create a Puerto Rico based college with a insect mascot, a city population between 250,000 and 500,000, founded between 1800 and 1850 and we have to import the color green in the logo and uniforms. 

9/03/2020 10:55 pm  #10

A brief research into Colorado's cities leads me to Longmont with a population nearly less than 100,000. As for the college name, it can be just as simple as Longmont College or Longs Peak College. The latter is an interesting one considering the city's name origins because it's also named after railway engineer Stephen Long, who was known for contributing his steam locomotives designs.

For the mascot, I'm going to say 'Locomotives' for the alliteration and the link up with Long's involvement with locomotives. That is if you want to lean into the Transportation imagery.

However, if you want to lean on the Exploration part, I suggest 'Pioneers' or 'Settlers'.

Anyone got ideas with that?

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

Board footera