Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/28/2020 2:09 pm  #1

Potential names for South based league

So I have been thinking starting some sort of league based in the Southern US but i’m drawing a blank for names. Here are the cities I have planned to be in this potential league of mine
Dallas/Fort Worth
Houston
New Orleans
Memphis
Nashville
Birmingham
Atlanta
Miami
If you have any suggestions, just drop em down in the comments

8/28/2020 2:26 pm  #2

Re: Potential names for South based league

Dallas Wranglers
Houston Blastoffs
New Orleans Pirates
Memphis Might
Nashville Countries
Birmingham Pioneers
Atlanta Talons
And Miami Storm
What do you think? And for sport, I think Hockey would be spectacular.

Owner of the Indiana Cardinals (2005 AltBA Champions) the owner of the Memphis Kings, and new owner of the Milwaukee Mallards! #HoosierBirds #KingUp #QuackQuack

8/28/2020 3:35 pm  #3

Well the first question is what sport is it? That can sometimes dictate how naming goes. 

8/28/2020 10:56 pm  #4

What sport? What era? Professional or independent league? Fictional or real? While advertising for ideas can be useful, I'd suggest really honing in on what you're trying to accomplish. Then do some real research. I spent nearly two years developing my Torland world before launching my hockey league. If you're looking for some realism, you gotta put in your own research. It will show in your presentation of the league. Just blasting off random arbitrary names is the wrong way to start preparing a league, in my opinion. Zeroing in on a history helps drive how the league forms and is named, etc. 

I don't mean to be harsh, I've just been doing this a long time and believe the best place to start is with the history and people. Team names and subsequent identities will flow from the research you put into it. That's how I did it with Torland. History and people first, especially with a fictional country. So many team names, especially historical ones were driven by industry and people. Like the Green Bay Packers. Nobody would name a team that nowadays, but because that team started in the 30's and was owned by a packing company, a brand and identity was born that would stand strong until today. And every sport is unique as well. 

Just some thoughts. Take 'em or leave 'em. I see people ask for names all the time but I don't see an equal amount of research being done on why those names should even exist at all. Good luck!

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

8/29/2020 9:29 am  #5

Steelman wrote:

What sport? What era? Professional or independent league? Fictional or real? While advertising for ideas can be useful, I'd suggest really honing in on what you're trying to accomplish. Then do some real research. I spent nearly two years developing my Torland world before launching my hockey league. If you're looking for some realism, you gotta put in your own research. It will show in your presentation of the league. Just blasting off random arbitrary names is the wrong way to start preparing a league, in my opinion. Zeroing in on a history helps drive how the league forms and is named, etc. 

I don't mean to be harsh, I've just been doing this a long time and believe the best place to start is with the history and people. Team names and subsequent identities will flow from the research you put into it. That's how I did it with Torland. History and people first, especially with a fictional country. So many team names, especially historical ones were driven by industry and people. Like the Green Bay Packers. Nobody would name a team that nowadays, but because that team started in the 30's and was owned by a packing company, a brand and identity was born that would stand strong until today. And every sport is unique as well. 

Just some thoughts. Take 'em or leave 'em. I see people ask for names all the time but I don't see an equal amount of research being done on why those names should even exist at all. Good luck!

I was planning this takes place in a world where the NHL never expands outside Canada. So it’s a hockey league. This league will start in 1959. Also I stink at designing logos on a side note.

8/29/2020 10:41 am  #6

Rugrat wrote:

Steelman wrote:

I was planning this takes place in a world where the NHL never expands outside Canada. So it’s a hockey league. This league will start in 1959. Also I stink at designing logos on a side note.

I agree with Steelman in the case of developing your world and your history. Especially if you are going to want to have less or no graphics to draw people in. In fact, the story is what draws people to invest in theses threads.

I mean with your idea which is a great starting point. There are a couple questions to think about when developing a story or a history behind it.
1 - What happened in 1924 that caused the NHL not to add the Boston Bruins?
2 - Have there been attempts of other leagues in the US separate from the NHL between 1924 and 1959?
3 - How did this league come to be in the South?

On the design aspect, I would say there is no harm in giving it a shot, everyone starts somewhere. There projects are often the way to get better at those skills. Of course do what you want with the project just giving my thoughts of how you can develop your ideas. Best of luck. 

8/29/2020 7:47 pm  #7

I made a video discussing the league that I am about to make. To watch the video, click this link 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

8/31/2020 8:40 pm  #8

Rugrat wrote:

Steelman wrote:

Just a heads up that you probably know. You're treading VERY close to the plot of my CPHL. VERY close. Please be careful mate. I like your idea as well, but I don't want an overlap here with explicit intent and communication. I'm not saying don't go for it, but tread lightly please.

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

Board footera