Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/03/2019 4:40 pm  #251

Re: Minnesota Amateur Hockey League

I'm more upset that Steinbach was the first one that I saw that I noticed had a toque.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

8/03/2019 5:15 pm  #252

That's a dope new template, looking sharp! I like the new looks so far, minus the white jersey instead of yellow for the Vulcans. That seemed like a signature look for them.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

8/03/2019 5:37 pm  #253

Dan O'Mac wrote:

I'm more upset that Steinbach was the first one that I saw that I noticed had a toque.

Haha, I was waiting to see how long it would take for someone to mention that. Since they didn't really use helmets quite yet I figured that since a lot of teams home rinks are still outdoors that players would probably be wearing hats to keep warm and I thought that it'd be a cool feature in the template.

Steelman wrote:

That's a dope new template, looking sharp! I like the new looks so far, minus the white jersey instead of yellow for the Vulcans. That seemed like a signature look for them.

Thank you! I actually originally was going to keep the Vulcans in yellow but thought it looked way too similar to the new Steinbach jerseys. And I've been planning for them to eventually adopt jerseys based on these since the beginning.

8/03/2019 6:00 pm  #254

The new template looks great! Also, I really like when the old look is compared to the new; it helps me see what has changed. Expansion teams look good, really liking Baudette’s look. Glad to see this back. How long until we get a North Dakota, Iowa, or South Dakota team?

May or may not be a Celtics fan after July 1st

8/03/2019 10:26 pm  #255

JG36 wrote:

The new template looks great! Also, I really like when the old look is compared to the new; it helps me see what has changed. Expansion teams look good, really liking Baudette’s look. Glad to see this back. How long until we get a North Dakota, Iowa, or South Dakota team?

Thank you, I'm glad you like it!

I would expect to see North Dakota with at least one team within the next couple years, teams from Iowa and South Dakota are more likely to start joining in the late 60s/early 70s

8/14/2019 9:55 pm  #256

Sorry for leaving everyone hanging on the return of this series, I was at my cabin for the last week and unable to do anything online.

The 1957/58 season has concluded, here are the stories.

Granite
The Lumberjacks made major improvements in virtually all aspects of their game. This may have been influenced by breakout seasons by a couple rookie stars, center Eli Koemans and goalie Dand Polley who led the team to their first league title. St. Cloud finished right on the Jacks tails though as they fail to remain the sole champions of the Granite Hockey League. The Cyclones moved up to third place this season boasting one of the toughest defensive cores in the MAHL. Alexandria made the jump to the final playoff spot, punching their ticket to their first postseason appearance in team history. Little Falls dropped off quite a bit after suffering a major loss just weeks into the season when their star goalie Ben Nodl was injured in a workplace injury and was forced to retire from the sport. The Storm did better than many expected in their first season, but they still finished in sixth. Sauk Rapids finished in last place in the league, not looking nearly as strong as the other teams in the league.

Iron Range
The defending champions from Hibbing just kept things rolling as they rolled over opponents all year to clinch their 6th league title in the last 7 years. The Redbirds looked pretty strong this year, proving the doubters wrong and confirming that they still should be considered Kellogg Cup threats. Chisholm came out of nowhere this year to take the third spot in the final standings. The Flames began the season red hot, winning 9 of the first 11 but began to fade out a bit as the season rolled on. Grand Rapids on the other hand has been a team on the rise as of late. Despite finishing in fourth place, the Moose should be looked at as more of a 1st or 2nd place team heading into the playoffs. Grand Rapids has been on fire lately, winning their last 8 games to pass the Virginia Royals who just missed the playoffs. Ely had another disappointing year by their standards and inner turmoil is beginning to cause concern for fans. Soudan had a horrible year, players were likely too preoccupied with the rumors of the Soudan Mine closing in the near future looming large.

Lake Superior
The Voyageurs repeated as champions ahead of their heated rivals the Hornets who finished right behind them in second place. Thunder Bay dropped back to third place but look like they could be a dark horse favorite in the playoffs. Superior claims the fourth and final playoff spot. Cloquet finished in fifth place despite looking like a pretty good hockey team, the competition in the Superior League is just too tough that one playoff caliber team has to miss out. The Timberwolves finished in the basement, far and away behind the other teams in the league.

Northland
International Falls claimed their fourth straight league title. Steinbach showed everyone that they meant business despite being newcomers, finishing in second place in their first season. Roseau finished right behind them in third place with their arch rivals hot on their tails in the fourth place spot. Bemidji made a big drop off after finishing in second place last year. Nobody is really sure what happened that caused them to fall so far and there is no real reason, many are declaring last years successful season a fluke. Thief River Falls finished right behind the Ox. Fort Frances finds themselves in unfamiliar territory as they finished this season in second last place in the Northland. Unlike the Barbarians, the Walleye did not have a great start to their franchise finishing in last place in their inaugural year.

Twin Cities
The V's won their 15th Twin Cities League Championship, their 6th in the last 8 years. South St. Paul moved up to second place this year with a MVP caliber season from Anders Johansson. The Millers took the third place spot with the White Bear Lake Braves sliding into the final playoff slot. The Saints just barely miss out on the playoffs, missing by 1 win. Perhaps the biggest story of the season was the fall of the West St. Paul Waves. The Waves had been perennial championship contenders for the last number of years including trips to the Semi Finals in the last two seasons, but this season just didn't go the way they usually did. The team was injury prone all season long and never looked like they were ever 100%. The Twin Cities Vulcans finished behind the Waves, this year was seen as a step in the right direction by a team who has been in the gutter the last few years. Stillwater finished in second to last place and the Bruins finished again in last place.

Valley
The Rochester Mustangs reclaimed the league title for the first time in 5 years. Mankato made major improvements this year and it showed with the Moose taking second place. The "Mighty Mavs" finished in third place this year with Red Wing rounding out the playoff teams. The Robins missed the playoffs for the first time and the La Crosse Brewers and Winona Wildcats followed behind. The Albert Lea Dragoons finished in last place this year, dropping off drastically after being an annual playoff team just a few seasons ago.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

8/15/2019 5:46 pm  #257

The playoff seeding has been decided and here are the brackets for this years playoffs.

Score Predictions:

Minneapolis Millers 3
Fergus Falls Cyclones 2

I think that the Millers are just too physically dominant for the Cyclones, it will be close though.

Rochester Mustangs 4
Red Wing Chiefs 1

In this Valley league match up I expect the League champs to wipe the floor with the Chiefs. The Mustangs look too good right now to fall in the first round.

Mankato Moose 0
Grand Rapids Moose 3

This is the first ever "Battle of the Moose" and I expect it to go in favor of the original Moose from Grand Rapids. GR has been on fire lately and I don't think that Mankato is ready for whats coming despite being the favorite and home team.

South St. Paul Mavericks 2
White Bear Lake Braves 1

I think this game will be a lot closer than most people expect. Despite only winning one game this regular season against the Mavs I think the Braves will play this game tough and could very easily play spoilers, I do still have to go with SSP though.

Austin Mavericks 0
Warroad Lakers 1

I have this game being a defensive battle with the visitors coming out on top with only one goal.

Steinbach Barbarians 5
Alexandria Norsemen 2

The Barbarians have been a force to be reckoned with since they joined the league this fall and I don't expect that to stop now. Alexandria does have one thing playing to their advantage though which could make them a wildcard, neither team has any playoff experience.

Roseau Stars 4
Chisholm Flames 1

The Flames have overachieved early this season which carried them to a playoff appearance, but their recent form has been less than desired and I think the Stars will easily advance.

Thunder Bay Giants 2
Superior Lakers 3 OT

Here is my "big upset" of the first round. I have a strange feeling that the Superior Lakers can knock their league rivals from the north. The Lake Superior League is arguably the most top heavy leagues in the state with 5 playoff caliber teams in the the league. I think that the Lakers are looked at as being not as good as they really are just based off their final standing.

Let me know what you think, what are your predictions?

Comments are appreciated!

Last edited by Section30 (8/15/2019 5:46 pm)

8/16/2019 4:56 pm  #258

The Knockout Round of the playoffs has concluded, here are the summaries.

Minneapolis Millers V. Fergus Falls Cyclones

Minneapolis was just too strong for the Clones as they bulldozed their way to a 3-0 win thanks to a 2 goal night by Kyle Ramsay.

Rochester Mustangs V. Red Wing Chiefs

The Chiefs solid year came to an end by the hands of one of their rivals as Rochester advances, winning the game 2-1.

Mankato Moose V. Grand Rapids Moose

Just like I predicted, the red hot Grand Rapids offence carried their team to the second round, winning the first "Battle of the Moose" in a landslide 6-1 victory to push their winning streak to 9 wins in a row.

South St. Paul Mavericks V. White Bear Lake Braves

The first big upset of the postseason comes at the expense of the Mavericks. White Bear Lake came out hot and never really let SSP back into it as the Braves win 4-2.

Austin Mavericks V. Warroad Lakers

Another successful prediction on my part, the Lakers went down to Austin as the underdogs but shut down the Mavericks offense and claimed a 2-0 victory.

Steinbach Barbarians V. Alexandria Norsemen

Steinbach continues to make a big splash in their first year as they advance to the second round, cutting Alec's first playoff run short.

Roseau Stars V. Chisholm Flames

Chisholm actually came out hard and took an early lead in the game, but the Stars were able to bounce back with 3 unanswered goals to win the game 3-1 and advance.

Thunder Bay Giants V. Superior Lakers

Well my big upset didn't actually come true, but it was a close game. The game was tied at 2 apiece with under two minutes left in the game when Thunder Bay's Staal found Angell behind the Lakers defense, sending him on a breakaway which he was able to capitalize on and clinch the win for his team.

Predictions

Hibbing Greyhounds 4
Minneapolis Millers 2

Duluth Hornets 2
Rochester Mustangs 3 OT

International Falls Ice 1
Grand Rapids Moose 2

St. Cloud Bear Cats 5
White Bear Lake Braves 3

St. Paul Victorias 3
Warroad Lakers 0

Eveleth Redbirds 2 OT
Steinbach Barbarians 1

Duluth Voyageurs 4 OT
Roseau Stars 3

Brainerd Lumberjacks 1
Thunder Bay Giants 3

8/17/2019 1:56 pm  #259

The second round of the playoffs has concluded, here are the summaries.

Hibbing Greyhounds 5
Minneapolis Millers 3

This was a very high paced game from the drop of the puck to the final buzzer. There were very few stoppages allowing for a very fast, back and forth, flowing style of play that worked in the favor of the smaller, but more skilled Greyhounds who were able to get 5 in the back of the net.

Duluth Hornets 0
Rochester Mustangs 2

The hometown Hornets were straight up embarrassed by the champions of the Valley League who no doubt are still upset about not getting home ice despite winning their league. Rochester dominated puck possesion time and just wore down the Duluth defense by cycling in the offensive zone. Once the Hornets defense was gassed they were slow and exploited by Rochester.

International Falls Ice 4 3OT
Grand Rapids Moose 3

The Moose's incredible run was ended at the hands of Willy Mason in the third overtime period. The veteran was on the corner of the crease when a rebound deflected his way, he was able to bat it into the net sending his teammates to food over the boards. 

St. Cloud Bear Cats 3
White Bear Lake Braves 0

Schmidt and his Cats were too much for the Braves who were unable to repeat their magic from last game.

St. Paul Victorias 4
Warroad Lakers 2

Warroad jumped out to a 1-0 lead within the first minute of the game, but after that first minute the game was mostly controlled by the V's. 

Eveleth Redbirds 2
Steinbach Barbarians 1

Eveleth and Steinbach looked very evenly matched throughout the game and if this was a full series I think it definitely would have gone 7 games. The Redbirds just happened to get the upper hand in this meeting, no doubt the incredibly electric fan base they had backing them on their home ice. The 

Duluth Voyageurs 2
Roseau Stars 3 OT

Another very close match up has the Stars on the road facing off against Le Bleus. Duluth strikes first but Roseau answers before the first is over. Le Bleus score again, leading 2-1 after 2. With less than a minute left in the game the Stars decided to pull the goalie and it worked! The Stars tied the game up and forced overtime where they completed the comeback and advance.

Brainerd Lumberjacks 2
Thunder Bay Giants 3

The Lumberjacks came into this game underestimating the Giants because they finished in third. Thunder Bay jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead in the first period and all hope looked lost for the Jacks. Brainerd was able to claw their way back into the game with a couple powerplay goals but it wasn't enough as the Giants advance.

Predictions

Hibbing Greyhounds 3 OT
Rochester Mustangs 2

International Falls Ice 1
St. Cloud Bear Cats 3

St. Paul Victorias 2
Eveleth Redbirds 0

Roseau Stars 4
Thunder Bay Giants 2

8/18/2019 3:53 pm  #260

Just now caught up with this,  WOW!  This is impressive!  Tons of work went into this project, I can tell, very well done!  Keep it up!

My favorite team is the Grand Rapids Moose for the most goofy reason ever.  I live in Michigan, where Grand Rapids is one of our largest cities in the state.  I don't know why, but for some strange reason, I actually thought they were from Michigan instead of Minnesota for a while, lmao!  But yeah they're my team, shame they didn't win this year, but maybe next year!

Board footera