Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/19/2020 4:15 pm  #21

Re: Robin Island Hockey - The KLH (1971 Kurosawa Cup Finals)

I really want to love this because I like neutral color schemes. However the gray offers no contrast. I'd look at something more in the #999999 range, a more classic gray color. I also agree that the singular name, while I don't normally like singular sports nicknames, works much better and sounds much stronger in this instance. I really like the usage of a chest stripe on this set.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

8/19/2020 5:04 pm  #22

Steelman wrote:

I really want to love this because I like neutral color schemes. However the gray offers no contrast. I'd look at something more in the #999999 range, a more classic gray color. I also agree that the singular name, while I don't normally like singular sports nicknames, works much better and sounds much stronger in this instance. I really like the usage of a chest stripe on this set.

Dan O'Mac wrote:

I wouldn't hate the gray being a touch darker, but otherwise, I like this look.

I don't like the "s" at the end of Unions. I'd just go with the singular, as this is the union of the two hockey clubs.

Section30 wrote:

What Dan said lol

The grey looks really light, from the nosebleeds there's no way you could read the numbers. I like the idea and the unique scheme, but it needs to be darker

I also think that Union works better than Unions, just sounds better imo

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I agree that the gray should be darker, that'll be changed soon enough. As for Union vs. Unions, that won't be changing. The inspiration came from the NPB team the Takahashi Unions, the team Victor Starffin played for when he reached 300 wins (the first pitcher to do so in Japan), but my main sticking point is "Unions" is easier to say in Japanese. 「ユニオンズ」vs.「ユニオン」would be the comparison, and the "zu" part on the end of Unions makes it flow better when speaking Japanese. 

The next team:

GEORGEVILLE, CL - In front a packed crowd in the arena, longtime Georgeville hockey owner Jerry Crouch announced the name under which the team would compete in the KLH.

Continuing with Georgeville tradition, the team will be named the Georgeville Peacocks. To outsiders, this may seem strange, but it was the only viable choice for the Georgeville faithful. In the early 1900s, the Georgeville Hockey Club played in the city, and after showboating during a blowout against a team from Vertlac, opposing media called the team "as flamboyant as a peacock". The team took the insult with pride, like the "white elephant" Athletics of the MLB, and it become the official mascot. The logo, however, is brand-new, showcasing a fabulous peacock with his feathers outstretched, with three bold colors: Blue, Royal Blue, and Feather Green. Royal blue is the primary color, and the home jerseys shows this, with royal socks as well. The jerseys feature a unique three-stripe pattern inspired by a peacock: blue is in front, royal in the middle, and green in the back, referencing a peacock itself. The pants are green with the same striping pattern, with any color on that base substituted for white. The home jersey has a blue yoke and the away features a royal one.

The Peacocks will continue to play in Peacocks Center, an 18,500 seat arena located in the heart of Georgeville, their home since 1955. 

About Georgeville:

Georgeville was named after King George V, the king of the United Kingdom (and Canada) at the time, and quickly rose as a lumber processing town and the "hippie" part of Columbia. Plaid and beards are in! Georgeville, like Vertlac, likes baseball, but the local nature of soccer has won the city over.

C&C Appreciated!

8/20/2020 2:08 am  #23

The Peacocks... they're beautiful

It's gonna take a lot for another team to wow me enough, Georgeville is definitely my favorite so far. I absolutely love the background for the name, the logo is a classic for the time, and the colors and jerseys are honestly some of the best hockey jerseys I've seen

8/20/2020 8:07 am  #24

Just catching up on this thread and I'm enjoying it so far! The Peacocks are gorgeous, and you definitely chose a great color scheme for them. 

I love the Union and I'm all in on the gray bandwagon, but I think it could be juuuuuust a little darker maybe? Otherwise, I was going to say that they were my 2nd favorite team just because there's not that many gray-based teams in general. 

And the Explorers are still my favorite. These are my top three teams so far (Explorers, Peacocks, Unions in that order). 

Can't wait to see what you got next! 

8/20/2020 8:52 am  #25

The Peacocks are superb. I can't find anything to nitpick on that.

Thanks for the explanation on Unions vs. Union. Knowing that it's influenced by the Japanese language side makes it make more sense.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

8/20/2020 3:52 pm  #26

The Peacocks are unique and colorful, nice job. My two nitpicks are related to the pants: With the royal blue being the supposed primary, it seems like the green outweighs it, especially with the pants. If green pants are kept, I don't think the wide heavy triple stripes work on the green. Light blue doesn't work on green. I'd remove those stripes for a simpler look that is already super colorful. That's my opinion anyway.

Nice work!

8/20/2020 4:55 pm  #27

Section30 wrote:

The Peacocks... they're beautiful

It's gonna take a lot for another team to wow me enough, Georgeville is definitely my favorite so far. I absolutely love the background for the name, the logo is a classic for the time, and the colors and jerseys are honestly some of the best hockey jerseys I've seen

Thank you! I had come up with the name just randomly, but I later thought about how I could justify it and the idea for a flamboyant Georgeville team struck. Outside of one or two small tweaks, I really don't see myself changing the Peacocks.

RoughRiders9 wrote:

Just catching up on this thread and I'm enjoying it so far! The Peacocks are gorgeous, and you definitely chose a great color scheme for them. 

I love the Union and I'm all in on the gray bandwagon, but I think it could be juuuuuust a little darker maybe? Otherwise, I was going to say that they were my 2nd favorite team just because there's not that many gray-based teams in general. 

And the Explorers are still my favorite. These are my top three teams so far (Explorers, Peacocks, Unions in that order). 

Can't wait to see what you got next! 

Thanks! I agree on the Unions' gray, I'll darken it soon. 

Dan O'Mac wrote:

The Peacocks are superb. I can't find anything to nitpick on that.

Thanks for the explanation on Unions vs. Union. Knowing that it's influenced by the Japanese language side makes it make more sense.

Thank you! As for the Unions, I like to think of my teams as evenly divided between the Japanese and American sides, with Newton, Hokkyo, and Aoishi as the "Japanese" teams and Vertlac, Sol, and Georgeville as the "American" teams.

Steelman wrote:

The Peacocks are unique and colorful, nice job. My two nitpicks are related to the pants: With the royal blue being the supposed primary, it seems like the green outweighs it, especially with the pants. If green pants are kept, I don't think the wide heavy triple stripes work on the green. Light blue doesn't work on green. I'd remove those stripes for a simpler look that is already super colorful. That's my opinion anyway.

Nice work!

Thank you! I can see what you're saying about green being more dominant with the pants, but I personally enjoy the balance between the colors, it came about almost as an accident and feels appropriately slapdash for the era and context. As for the pants, I agree, I'll tweak the striping there. I wanted to keep the "peacock striping" but the light blue and green clash too much for it to work.

Thanks for your feedback, everyone! I'm glad these have been so well-received, I worked hard to make these era-appropriate and well-designed. We're on the final team!

HOKKYO, HK - In a ceremony at the brand-new Hokkyo Arena, KLH founder Masaru Kurosawa announced the brand that his team would compete under.

That's right, the Hokkyo Bullets will begin play in 1968! Hokkyo, home to Robin Island Rail North, is where Japan's new Shinkansen have been tested for use in the island nation, and Kurosawa's fascination with the new technology formed the basis for his team's identity. He chose the American slang for the trains, "bullet trains", as the new name. The logo is a 0 Series Shinkansen in profile, with a powder blue sky above and orange ground below. The colors come from Hokken's flag, a point of pride for the citizens of the province. The jerseys feature striping inspired by the logo, including the massive hem stripes. 

The Bullets will play at Hokkyo Arena, a brand-new 20,000 seat arena in downtown Hokkyo. 

About Hokkyo:

Hokkyō, so named because it's in the north and a capital, is the largest city in Hokken and notably the home of Robin Island hockey. It's also home to RIR North (Robin Island Rail North, the northern division of the national rail service, the others are RIR Aorin, RIR East, RIR Luna Island, RIR Ōyachi, RIR South, and RIR West, based in Aorin-shi, San Juan, Crescent City, Ōyachi-shi, Queenston, and Joestar, respectively). RIR North covers Hokken, Cloudsgate, most of Columbia, and the northern part of Toramoto, building and maintaining bullet train lines and other smaller services as well. Hokkyō is also famous for its fashion, with White Lily being the most famous fashion company in the country.

What do you think? C&C Appreciated!

8/20/2020 5:13 pm  #28

Well... my adopted city won me over

Sorry Peacocks, I love you but the Bullets are just *chefs kiss*

I have a weak spot for powder blue, that with the orange and the classic hockey striping and classic logo have made me a Bullet fan

8/20/2020 5:48 pm  #29

Holy... Yeah, I agree with S30. The Bullets are just gorgeous. They might take top spot depending on what kind of adjustments the Unions make. No critiques. Nice work!

8/20/2020 6:37 pm  #30

Section30 wrote:

Well... my adopted city won me over

Sorry Peacocks, I love you but the Bullets are just *chefs kiss*

I have a weak spot for powder blue, that with the orange and the classic hockey striping and classic logo have made me a Bullet fan

Thank you! If you enjoy this powder blue, I suggest you check out the RIBF thread as well, there's been something major that just happened. 

Steelman wrote:

Holy... Yeah, I agree with S30. The Bullets are just gorgeous. They might take top spot depending on what kind of adjustments the Unions make. No critiques. Nice work!

Thank you so much! You guys have no idea how nice it is to hear these compliments from you two, the masters of hockey design on the boards, lol. I have a genuine hard time picking a favorite of these six, hopefully I can continue the good streak.

If you want to show off your fandom, I've got some sigs as well!

Aoishi

Georgeville

Hokkyo

Newton

Sol

Vertlac

Additionally, if you want, I can create a dual sig for your favorite Robin Island teams, in this style:

Just let me know which teams you want, and I'll get it done as soon as I can! Or, if you have a different style in mind, I can try and make it work as well! 

Board footera