Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/09/2020 5:36 pm  #91

Re: West Coast Elite Hockey League

Go Go Flamingos!

8/09/2020 10:31 pm  #92

Glad to see Vegas on the rise. Sad to see McGorrie on an island with no help.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

8/10/2020 5:45 pm  #93

Might I suggest "In the West play the Best" as tour slogan?

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

8/11/2020 2:48 am  #94

1954/55 WCEHL Finals

The WCEHL, your premiere outlet for late night programming. Is it because the owners are bad at business? Is it because there are better things to watch? Maybe we break the forth wall and flat out say that it might be the fact that our puppet master has a bad schedule. This answer does not matter as long it is a treat for you, my dear reader. 

Nothing happened that could be claimed as more attention grabbing than last year’s scuffle between the Griz and Mingos, but it was becoming more obvious that Arizona and Las Vegas were not favorites of each other. It started when Andress Riekstins of the Arizona Tribe called Anastasio Moran a “pretty boy”. While the Latvian native meant this as a compliment, the scrappy New Yorker took it the opposite way, replying “Oh yea? Well Riekstins is real cute too”! The Tribe player would accept this as a compliment, leaving one player enraged, the other confident, and the media really confused about the interaction.

Game 1
     When action started in Vegas, no one knew what would come of the series. Vegas were heavy favorites, but Arizona always seemed to find a way to get things done. The answer to this game’s story would come early in the first when Moran popped the puck off the glass in his defensive zone while shorthanded. The Tribe defenseman would take the opportunity to finish his check, leaving a rare breakaway chance for a Vegas defenseman. Four minutes had elapsed in the game and Vegas had already earned a penalty and the lead. Arizona would awake a beast in the second period when they found the back of the net. Vegas responded to this equalizer by presenting to the crowd what 3 goals in 2 minutes looked like. The time following this blitz was a good opportunity for fans to reflect or even nap. Nothing happened after the board showed 4-1. The deflated Tribe would have to look to the next game before this game ended, not wanting to face the torment Vegas had brought upon them.

Game 2
     The four-headed monster came to play in game two, creating a high scoring brawl between the teams. The Flamingos would, again, start us early with a pair of quick goals. Arizona seemed uneasy, but an injured Frank Olesen would come to the rescue before the frame closed out. Momentum continued into the second for the Tribe when they tied the game, but Las Vegas found a way to tally two more goals in a 3-minute stretch. Arizona played the reverse card back on Vegas by taking one out of the Flamingo playbook, scoring two of their own in 20 seconds. The act would again be closed by Frank Olesen, who scored his second goal to make the score 5-4 only 27 seconds before the period ended. The Tribe would score two more for fun in the third, concluding a night that resulted in 10 combined points for Arizona’s top four, and a 7-4 win in favor of the Tribe.

Game 3
     Oleson, who was still laboring a broken foot, decided he would be the opening act and closer to Moran’s first period show. His first would come one minute in, Moran would score after, and Oleson regained the spotlight 3 minutes before the period ended to go up 2-1. The remaining periods would mirror each other. When Vegas scored one in the second, Arizona would as well. When Vegas decided to up the goals in the second by scoring two, you bet the Tribe did the same thing. With two minutes remaining in the game, hometown hero Wayne Zimmerman would make the Teepee the loudest it had been since around the same time in last year’s playoffs by scoring the game winning goal. The result would put the Arizona Tribe up 2-1 in the series, giving them the opportunity to reclaim their title in the next game.

Game 4
     Game four would be defined by Edward Gaston’s ability to stand strong in net, facing 47 shots throughout the game. The Las Vegas goalie was not exactly looking like he deserved the rights to his back-to-back WCEHL’s goalie of the year awards in his previous games, but his ability to save all but one shot in a first period where the Flamingos looked miserable would give him back his credibility. Las Vegas would tie the game in the second, but concern hit when Moran was struck in the eye by a deflected puck. This would catch Vegas off guard, giving the Tribe an opportunity to go ahead. Moran would return in the third, steadying his team and leading them to victory with two beautiful passes that ended with Brad Rhodes putting the puck in the back off the net. The story was not over yet, but it was sure to end in Las Vegas.

Game 5  
     Two teams that are very familiar with each other in a game 5 situations meet again. The headlines in Las Vegas read “Redemption”, while Arizona looks to add another tro— oh wait… they never received that trophy. Well, Arizona looks to feel good by claiming their second league title. The biggest news heading into the night was the absence of Flamingo star Anastasio Moran, and Frank Oleson, who has earned the title “Cardiac Kid” from Arizona fans. 
The Neon Nest was lit up 49 seconds into the first period when Las Vegas capitalized on Arizona’s timid start, putting the Tribe at a disadvantage early. Although the Flamingos had a full swing of momentum, nothing would come of it. Arizona would hush the crowd 8 minutes after the Flamingos first goal, returning both teams to anxious and urgent play. The second and third would pass with 40 shots, but nothing to show for either team. This meant we would be heading to a ten-minute overtime.
The puck dropped and hearts stopped in the stands as fans watched both Vegas and Arizona lean on their stars to produce a championship. The Flamingos, who were outshot 37 to 24 in regulation, continued to show signs of struggle defending Arizona’s offense. The time had depleted to 2.5 minutes with no answers, but there was a feeling of dread in the arena as fans watched a Flamingos line get stuck in their own zone for an extended period of time. There was only one minute now, and the Tribe continued to move the puck around the zone to find an opportunity. Finally, a shot was taken at the 30 second mark, whizzing through players and hitting the Vegas goalie’s skate blade, causing the puck to flutter on its side directly next to the net. Arizona captain Joe Benoit would be seen stretching his upper half out of the scrum that took place in front of the net after the shot, grazing the puck with enough force to slide it over the line. The clock read 24 seconds, a number still worn by Arizona youth players to this day to remember the success of Joe Benoit and the 1954/55 Arizona Tribe.

Zamboni would come out on the ice to honor the repeat champions, while the Flamingos put on a sad show that they have grown accustomed to performing once a year. The silent crowd watched as the Tribe pranced around the ice hollering. It was even said that Andress Riekstins could be heard yelling “I’m cute” as he embraced teammates. Joe Benoit would approach Zamboni again, grabbing the magnum that the commissioner brought out for him to congratulate his MVP performance, he would also grab the magnum Zamboni had in his other hand that he brought out for his own enjoyment. Benoit would pour the two on himself, and chuck both on the ice again, concluding another season in style.

8/11/2020 9:37 am  #95

Wooo! 2 in a row man. A.H.T.T. (All Hail The Tribe)

8/14/2020 9:51 am  #96

1955 Owner’s Table
We are back to the less hectic life of the offseason. A time when our league’s owners can gather around and catch up. A happier time. Let’s peek in.

(The shot turns to a meeting room where it seems each owner has the neck of another’s in each hand, like an odd old western standoff.)

Buissen
“This league is rigged I swear of it. My team deserves more wins!”

Dust
“Your team licks salt, Buissen. Would it make you feel better if I told you it’s like golf, lower points are better.”

Buissen
“Wait… Really?”

Dust
“No, you idiot.”

Canton
“Now don’t be a bully, Dust. That’s what mean boys do. Buissen is just trying to express his feelings, but he isn’t use to it. Thank you, Buzz, for being so vulnerable around your friends. We appreciate you.”

(The room quiets, as it often does when Timothy speaks.)

Zamboni
“Listen, our league is constructed of the smartest business minds in America. We have gold, fish, bees, blocks of ice, weapons that cause war, an ice cleaner and… whatever Vegas does. We know a thing or two about monopiles.”

(Everyone in the room gives a whistle, some even say Amen)

Zamboni
“We must admit there is a monopoly in this league with only two teams at the top. We don’t want to do that to each other, right?”

Diggins
“Well, it’s not like the answer to that is just going to waltz in.”

(At that moment the door to the room slams open and an elegant man waltzes in.)

Sgt. Johnson
“Where did you come from?”

The Man
“I hail from the French capital of the world! Montreal.”

Sgt. Johnson
“…and you are?”

The Man
“French.”

Canton
“Pardon sir, your name is French or you are French?”

The Man
“Yes! I am here to, how do you say, ‘own a hockey team’?”

Buissen
“Yes? What do you mean 'how do you say'? You just said it, you bag of bricks. I hate this guy, let’s kick his ass!”

(As the owners prepare to kick French’s ass, Zamboni stops them.)

Zamboni
“Wait, this might be what we are looking for to bring some more balance in this league.”

Dust
“8 teams? That’s a ridiculous id—”

Zamboni
“Shut up, Dust. Mr. French, you’re in. What would you like to register your team as.”

French Friday
“We shall be the Long Beach Earthquakes!”

(Our view gets fuzzy and turns to black, leaving the owners to greet and learn more about the newest member of the WCEHL. Hopefully, he will bring the balance the league desires.)

Here’s a quick look at Long Beach while waiting for the offseason. A lot has happened in the sim, so I am working out the graphics and story to justify it. Who knew that FHM6 could help make the league crazier than it already is. 

Last edited by Thehealthiestscratch (8/14/2020 9:58 am)

8/14/2020 10:05 am  #97

This league is Weird.

But I can't look away...

Last edited by ZO82 (8/14/2020 10:10 am)

8/14/2020 10:37 am  #98

"You're French or your name is?" "Yes."

That cracked me up way more than something that simple should've.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

8/14/2020 10:42 am  #99

Dan O'Mac wrote:

"You're French or your name is?" "Yes."

That cracked me up way more than something that simple should've.

I mean, crazier things have happened. Literally. SO....

But anyways, I love the Long Beach Earthquakes, especially the name. Keep it up, my dude.

CREATOR OF THE CANADIAN PREMIERE HOCKEY LEAGUE
OWNER of the OTTAWA GUARDIANS of the ALTHL

8/14/2020 11:06 am  #100

Are we not gonna mention his name is French Friday? That’s a name and a half!

Good looking Long Beach, as well!

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

Board footera