Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/01/2020 4:19 pm  #111

Re: Escalian Football League

The Angels look good, I like the helmet halo and the color scheme. I also like the Anchors, but I feel like the blue and red could use some separation, an outline on the home numbers for sure and I'd probably make the home nameplate white as well. 

8/01/2020 4:19 pm  #112

Love both of the new looks, the Angels colour scheme I especially like.
The shade of blue is different and used in a unique way in my opinion.
I really dig the jersey design for the Anchors especially the road unis. 

8/01/2020 4:34 pm  #113

About some of the context behind those city names, There’s no way that one single tribe of Native Escalians inhabits such a large Island. I myself have been developing a nation since November of last year, with a fairly diverse range of natives based on numerous Polynesian and North/South American tribes. Are there any specific regional tribes of natives in your country?

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

8/01/2020 10:18 pm  #114

Loving those anchors away jerseys!

8/06/2020 12:51 am  #115

Big fan of the Angels, I think I finally found my team, love the colors and city background.

The Anchors also look good, the red and blue and are a bit of an eye sore where great but there needs to be white between them because there wouldn't be much contrast from a distance.

8/06/2020 12:58 am  #116

Saint Blaise looks awesome. I like the whole set.

For the Anchors, I like the logo. I think a bright blue/red scheme is tough to pull off and it's a bit muddy here. I would also add to the suggestion of adding in white to separate the colors on the home jersey, especially since the away jersey looks great with lots of white.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THL, PUCH, WHA: Redux and Retroliga.

8/06/2020 1:42 pm  #117

ThisIsFine wrote:

About some of the context behind those city names, There’s no way that one single tribe of Native Escalians inhabits such a large Island. I myself have been developing a nation since November of last year, with a fairly diverse range of natives based on numerous Polynesian and North/South American tribes. Are there any specific regional tribes of natives in your country?

You are right that there isn't just one tribe in all of Escalia, but I haven't really fleshed it out much besides the language itself (which I still haven't given a name to it, which is why I used the Native Escalian moniker).

QCS wrote:

The Angels look good, I like the helmet halo and the color scheme. I also like the Anchors, but I feel like the blue and red could use some separation, an outline on the home numbers for sure and I'd probably make the home nameplate white as well.

Section30 wrote:

Big fan of the Angels, I think I finally found my team, love the colors and city background.

The Anchors also look good, the red and blue and are a bit of an eye sore where great but there needs to be white between them because there wouldn't be much contrast from a distance.

Steelman wrote:

Saint Blaise looks awesome. I like the whole set.

For the Anchors, I like the logo. I think a bright blue/red scheme is tough to pull off and it's a bit muddy here. I would also add to the suggestion of adding in white to separate the colors on the home jersey, especially since the away jersey looks great with lots of white.

You would have thought that I would've learned my lesson about this after the Mallards controversy in the AltFL when applying it to the Anchors. Well I guess you would be wrong lol. On second look it does look a bit garrish, so that'll be fixed next offseason when everyone is making changes.

With that out of the way, here's the remainder of the offseason:

1964-65 Offseason Part 2:

1965 Entry Draft
NOTE: For the time being, I’ll stop doing the one-two sentence write-up for the draft picks since those take the longest to write and my freshman year of college is right around the corner for me (Fork 'em Devils!), so for the time being I'll be skipping over the draft picks.

1st - Tallokope City Anchors: RB Drew Abspoel (Tallokope Provincial)
2nd - Saint Blaise Angels: RB Arthur Habisch (Kier University)
3rd - Adelaide Owls: DL Harry Jensen (Great Plains Provincial)
4th - Ashonta Miners: RB Leonard Arts (Great Plains Provincial)
5th - Orcaster Racers: LB Jack Clement (Tallokope University)
6th - Ellesby Mariners: DL Jacob Cody (University of Argil)
7th- Homestead Reapers: RB Gerhardt Derby (Arcanora Tech)
8th - Duvall Dragons: LB Adrian Simmons (University of Huron)
9th - Hadley Gatekeepers: OL Karl Barros (Toukier Provincial)
10th - Augusta Bulls: DL Soren Hendrick (Bristol University)
11th - Kierport Knights: DB William Vacek (Taerrisia Provincial)
12th - Norfolk Lumberjacks: QB Gabriel Albert (Argil Agricultural) 

Coach/Player Movements
Two major defensive players called it quits after the 1964 season. ADL DL Janus Beck, the last of the original Huntsmen defense, hung up his cleats after 11 total years of play, and AUG DT Jesse Wechler called it a career after bouncing around teams for the good part of a decade. After winning the Cup last season, NOR QB Willard Taft retired after playing for 14 seasons, with the Cup win capping off his great career put on the back burner because of teammate Eddy Belmont.

The Owls decided to part ways with their first ever HC Ed Schumacher after a dismal 10-21-1 run over three years after 2 Escalian Cup trips and a victory in the 1st Escalian Cup. They promote DC Jeb Thompson to his spot, who has also been with the team since the start

League News
The Owners Council voted 9-3 that beginning with the 1967 season, the Escalian Cup will be held at a neutral site rather than at the higher seed’s home stadium. The proposal, originally brought up by Racers owner Gardner Hill the previous offseason, finally gained enough traction among the other owners to bring in more revenue to non-playoff teams. The Knights, Lumberjacks, and Gatekeepers were the dissenting votes, as they felt they would lose revenue in this scenario. The voting for the host of the 8th Escalian Cup would happen in the 1965-66 offseason and would be open to all stadiums that have yet to host the Cup as of the 1964 season. 

In uniform news, the Council made two big announcements. The first was that they voted unanimously to require a two-bar facemask for all players. The other was a plan that had been going on for awhile, which was the announcement of Zephyr Athletics to become the uniform supplier for the league beginning next season. Zephyr is a relatively new sportswear company, but have exploded since coming onto the scene in their hometown of Duvall. Their introduction potentially will bring the first major changes for uniforms since the league’s inception, which has excited many fans as a result.  

Power Rankings
Norfolk Lumberjacks
Hadley Gatekeepers
Augusta Bulls
Duvall Dragons
Kierport Knights
Ellesby Mariners
Homestead Reapers
Orcaster Racers
Ashonta Miners
Saint Blaise Angels
Adelaide Owls
Tallokope City Anchors

Founder of the EFL and the AFL

8/06/2020 1:45 pm  #118

Ellesby just hanging out in the middle of the pack. Which hopefully means we're improving!

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

8/10/2020 7:35 am  #119

Saint Blasie Angels: This is a great uniform set!  Claret and blue is certainly proving to be a winning color combination on this website, as every team thats worn it has been almost universally praised!  Real life pro teams need to start considering its use!  The halo on the top of the helmet is a nice touch and will definitely stand out!  Really great job on this one!

Tallokope City Anchors: First of all excellent color scheme!  Reminds me of the old Houston Oilers and thats always a good thing!  I will have to agree with the others that the colors do bleed in a bit with each other.  Utilizing more white will definitely break that up a bit.  Id also suggest reconsidering the shoulder colors a bit.  Nothing against being creative at all but when your logo has a classic timeless feel to it but the jersey has a splashy shoulder color approach,  i personally think its a bit of a jarring constrast. Still i think this team has a ton of aesthetic potential to it!

Finally i have to note it.  I noticed both of these logos are very similar to a couple of Veras' old football league's teams, (the Minnesota Angels had the exact same idea for the halo on the top of the helmet and the Boston Captains had the slanted anchor for its logo).  Thats either a really funny coincident or a nice homage to that league!

8/13/2020 1:13 pm  #120

Stickman wrote:

Saint Blase Angels: This is a great uniform set! Claret and blue is certainly proving to be a winning color combination on this website, as every team thats worn it has been almost universally praised! Real life pro teams need to start considering its use! The halo on the top of the helmet is a nice touch and will definitely stand out! Really great job on this one!

Tallokope City Anchors: First of all excellent color scheme! Reminds me of the old Houston Oilers and thats always a good thing! I will have to agree with the others that the colors do bleed in a bit with each other. Utilizing more white will definitely break that up a bit. Id also suggest reconsidering the shoulder colors a bit. Nothing against being creative at all but when your logo has a classic timeless feel to it but the jersey has a splashy shoulder color approach, i personally think its a bit of a jarring constrast. Still i think this team has a ton of aesthetic potential to it!

Finally i have to note it. I noticed both of these logos are very similar to a couple of Veras' old football league's teams, (the Minnesota Angels had the exact same idea for the halo on the top of the helmet and the Boston Captains had the slanted anchor for its logo). Thats either a really funny coincident or a nice homage to that league!

Regarding the homages, the only intended one was the Angels, as I wanted to include the halo around the helmet since I always loved that aspect of their uniforms. Any relations to the Captains are purely coincidental. 

Anyway, here's the 1965 season, with one or two twists that most people won't see coming!

North Division:
Once again, the Gatekeepers overthrow the Knights and win the North once again. QB Jack Reuter once again had another career year, but another QB in the South forced him to come second in MVP voting, taking home the Most Outstanding Offensive Player for the second year in a row. Kierport, for the first time in league history, missed the playoffs as they fell to a mediocre 6-6. The Knights suffered from injuries to their stars during the midseason stretch, finishing 2-5 after starting 4-1. Taking their place are the Miners, who limped their way to the second playoff spot at 6-5-1 on the legs of Rookie of the Year Leonard Arts. The story this year in the North was mediocrity, as the Racers did slightly better than last year, the Angels did as well as an expansion team would do, and the Mariners fell flat on their faces, reverting back to their old states after a somewhat promising season. 

South Division:
The talk of the league this year was the surprising rise of the Dragons. Harold Bauer, the first ever draft pick, broke through and took home MVP honors as the Dragons soared to an 11-1 record. Augusta and Norfolk had relatively the same year, but the ‘Jacks took the last playoff spot on tiebreakers. Bulls owner Wilfrid Charles protested to the league that they did not get into the playoffs even though they had a better record than the Miners, setting up a proposal for the next Owner’s Council meeting. Homestead still struggled to get a grip in the division, finishing at 6-6 once again. Adelaide had a slightly better season at 4 wins, but still fell to the bottom of the division. Taking up the basement is the expansion Anchors, who met expectations for an expansion team.  

Awards:
Most Valuable Player: QB Harold Bauer (DUV)
Most Valuable Coach: Artur Acterburg (DUV)
Most Outstanding Offensive Player: QB Jack Reuter (HAD) (x2)
Most Outstanding Defensive Player: DT Gideon Skeates (AUG) (x2)
Most Outstanding Rookie: RB Leonard Arts (ASH)

Playoffs Preview:

Ashonta Miners @ Hadley Gatekeepers
On one hand, we have the Gatekeepers, who dominated the North Division in the air with the help of Reuter and the gang. On the other, the Miners shouldn’t even be here. They were almost single-handedly carried by Rookie of the Year Leonard Arts and are only here because Kierport collapsed mid-season due to injuries.
Escalian Sports Magazine Prediction: Not even close. The ‘Keepers blow out the Miners as they advance to their first ever Cup. 30-7 HAD

Norfolk Lumberjacks @ Duvall Dragons
The defending champs come back to the playoffs to see if they can slay the upstart Dragons and make it a repeat. The Dragons have stars on both sides of the ball, Chester von Essen has blossomed into one of the league’s defensive stars, and Bauer is aided by RB Carson Adams who finished second in rushing yards behind Eddy Belmont.
Escalian Sports Magazine Prediction: Even though the ‘Jacks have most past their snake-bitten days, they will come back to haunt them as the Dragons sneak by and go to their first ever Cup. 24-21 DUV

Founder of the EFL and the AFL

Board footera