Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/03/2020 5:35 pm  #141

Re: The American Premier League

QCS wrote:

Gritty wrote:

I threw in Queen City just to see people's reactions. Especially cause I know we have QCS and Dr. Pepper as two reps from Cincy and Charlotte. I looked it up there are 30 cities and towns that are called the 'Queen City'.  After doing some research about this commonly used nickname I found it funny that most of the cities are called Queen City for completely different reasons.  

There are so many Queen Cities in the world, but Charlotte has the best claim to it, thank you very much. Being named after a queen is a pretty good reason to be called the Queen City, much more than simply being on a river or a lake

With the addition of Charlotte in MLS, there are 7 cities nicknamed Queen City, I'm prepared for the biggest derby in soccer! (In case you're curious, it's Charlotte, Cincinnati, Seattle, Denver, Montreal, Vancouver, and Toronto.)

There is an article on Wikipedia about the Queen City nickname I suggest you check it out

8/03/2020 5:52 pm  #142

For those who are curious, Buffalo has one of the biggest Polish-American communities in the country. And Legia Warsaw is Poland's most successful club in the Ekstraklasa or Polish Premier League and I thought it'd be a good way to tie in that lineage. 

8/03/2020 6:25 pm  #143

Buffalo Hydro stuck out to me. But FC Buffalo is my second favorite. Buffalo FEELS like a basic name, nothing flashy, like the city they represent.

2x Alt Champion :: AltLB Champion Oklahoma City Bison - 2022 :: AltFL Champion New York Emperors - 2022

8/03/2020 8:28 pm  #144

QCS wrote:

Of course I like my own Club Nickel suggestion

Hey now, you and I are in this together with that Club Nickel name. An elegant collaboration of two like minds! Jk, you get the credit my comment was more a thought about how well shortening the name would work.

8/03/2020 8:46 pm  #145

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

QCS wrote:

Of course I like my own Club Nickel suggestion

Hey now, you and I are in this together with that Club Nickel name. An elegant collaboration of two like minds! Jk, you get the credit my comment was more a thought about how well shortening the name would work.

I suppose we are, just went back and checked my "submission". Still backing Club Nickel, it's very unique and definitely something new for the APL.

8/05/2020 3:10 pm  #146

The Semi Finals! 

8/05/2020 5:48 pm  #147

I didn't know Big Ben was in Minnesota

8/05/2020 5:51 pm  #148

What happened to the Manhattan Meyhem?

8/05/2020 7:30 pm  #149

@ZO82 Ha yes I forgot to switch them out from my London template.

@Rugrat Like a few of the founding teams in the fledgling APL they did not financially survive. I'll eventually post the full history of the league. 

8/06/2020 1:05 am  #150

I absolutely love Nickel City for Buffalo

They own that nickname (unlike sharing it like previously mentioned with Queen City) and I think it just works really well and they could just go by "City" for short similar to Man City

Board footera