Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/03/2020 12:52 am  #1

Playoff Hockey Is Back!

I really thought it was a fascinating first two days of playoff hockey. What do y'all think about the play and games thus far?

Brutal loss for me as a Pens fan. I didn't think Montreal was going to roll over like a lot of people seemed to think but Carey Price had a phenomenal game, especially early for that onslaught in the first period. I saw a lot of fans griping about Matt Murray but I thought he played pretty well. Geno Malkin was non-existent and Conor Sheary had a rough, frustrating game. He's all speed and no control to his game. I don't think he belongs on the top line. John Marino had a hell of a game for a rookie defenseman, kind of an unheralded performance given the result. Jack Johnson continues to make head-scratching decisions. Credit to the Habs for sticking to their game plan. They put a lot of bodies on Crosby. The pundits were lauding the Pens' depth but honestly nobody played particularly well.

I tried to watch as many games as I could this weekend. Just finished Game 1 of the Canucks-Wild series and the Canucks looked plain bad. Minny hustled them all game. Kevin Fiala is who I wish Conor Sheary would model his game after. All of Vancouver's young guns had zero chemistry while the Wild had crisp passing and continuously crashed the zone.

That Kadri rebound with .01 seconds left was absolutely awesome.

Boston better quit pouting about the round robin and get into playoff mode. 

Arizona was my pick in that series. I don't like Nashville. (Love the city, hate the team)

Columbus is a tough team, man. I still think Toronto wins the series but they're gonna give them fits.

I hate the Flames. No idea why, I just do. It carries over into NHL20 where my Be a Pro player has had multiple injuries from Flames players, including Matthew Tkachuk. Intended or accidental, he can suck it. The Jets were my pick to win the series but it probably won't happen without Scheifele and Laine.

I dislike both teams, but it always cool to see veterans play like veterans. Definitely curious to see how G2 plays out between the Oilers and Blackhawks.

Rangers-Hurricanes was a pick 'em for me, but I gave the edge to Carolina. Seems to be holding up so far.

Islanders-Panthers is one of the few games I wasn't able to watch much of but I thought the Islanders' defense would carry the series.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

8/03/2020 9:56 am  #2

Re: Playoff Hockey Is Back!

It was incredible. I am so excited for hockey to start today at 10AM - on a Monday! 

8/03/2020 10:25 am  #3

Let’s just say I turned the Preds game off after they went down 3-0. That was a brutal showing in game 1.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

8/03/2020 10:50 am  #4

The Jets was hard to watch...
Seeing Scheifs go down was heartbreaking (my favourite player).
Then to just watch them slowly fall apart...

Though I enjoyed the other hockey here and there and laughing a bit at the Oilers and the Pens (Sorry Steel)

8/03/2020 2:40 pm  #5

Don't get me started but Boston has looked absolutely horrible in the exhibition against the Jackets and then yesterday against the Flyers. 

8/05/2020 10:11 am  #6

Two things:

- I wish Dallas would stop choking.

- I really like what they’ve done with the arena design, using the empty space that would be covered with fans is a unique idea and it looks pretty cool to boot.

8/05/2020 11:11 am  #7

And the Rangers are out in the qualifiers.
FFS.

(Formerly) Owner of the Quebec Owls of the AtlHL
Now Athletic Director of the Victoria International College Clarets

8/05/2020 10:18 pm  #8

After an early promising start...the Pens wilt and played one of the worst third periods I've seen in awhile. Incredibly disappointing game and effort. 

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

8/07/2020 5:24 pm  #9

OMG the Coyotes have won a playoff series! As a Arizona lifelong resident, I might just get back into hockey for the first time in years!

8/07/2020 10:42 pm  #10

Rugrat wrote:

OMG the Coyotes have won a playoff series! As a Arizona lifelong resident, I might just get back into hockey for the first time in years!

Good series by the ‘Yotes, but good God, the Preds looked like hot garbage. Hynes needs the door to be shown to him. I’m sorry, but the fact he gave Saros the nod all four games is ludacris. Pekka had a much better time against Arizona this year, and doesn’t see any time. I love Juice, but dear lord Hynes made the worst goaltending decisions I’ve ever seen.

Charlotte Racers (2016 AltHL Champions) St. Louis Explorers (2000 & 2011 AltBowl Champions) Minnesota Giants (2000, 2004, 2006 & 2014 AltBA Champions)
"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor. That is a pepper, of course."

Board footera