Alternate History Sports

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/22/2019 7:27 am  #61

Re: Torland Hockey League: THL 2.0

Just caught up with this series.  Fantastic work so far!  Easily the most detailed series I've seen!  Even beyond the teams, I like how you included a design company in Zeal and the hockey cards are a super cool idea!  

I think the Heralds are going to be my favorite team, as they have my favorite design so far!  Keep up the great work!

7/22/2019 10:47 am  #62

I think a second team in Yubay is a little ahead of itself. I get they have fans but that optimism is crazy when considering it was the first year and 29 points out of a playoff spot!

Think the Heralds do it this time. Still a very large divide from 1st to 4th

Heralds in 6 because of overconfidence maybe? Idk seems like Captains took a step backwards this year.

I’ll also say the other series will be high scoring with the Anchors in 7.

Heralds redemption over Anchors in 6 for the finals.

7/22/2019 4:56 pm  #63

Well, at least Trowburgh/Yubay is not very awful anymore.
*Still waiting for an expansion period so I can vote for San Estas* 

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

7/22/2019 4:59 pm  #64

ThisIsFine wrote:

The option to vote for that expansion will be a lonngggggggggggfgggfgggggggg time my friend. If ever.

7/22/2019 5:11 pm  #65

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

ThisIsFine wrote:

The option to vote for that expansion will be a lonngggggggggggfgggfgggggggg time my friend. If ever.

I know.

Meanwhile, Port Arlene prepares for it’s semifinals matchup with Portarra:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dc/UH-60_2nd_Squadron%2C_2nd_Cavalry_Regiment_%28cropped%29.jpg/300px-UH-60_2nd_Squadron%2C_2nd_Cavalry_Regiment_%28cropped%29.jpg

Inmate and Official Riot Provoker of the AHSylum

7/22/2019 5:54 pm  #66

Stickman wrote:

Just caught up with this series.  Fantastic work so far!  Easily the most detailed series I've seen!  Even beyond the teams, I like how you included a design company in Zeal and the hockey cards are a super cool idea! I think the Heralds are going to be my favorite team, as they have my favorite design so far!  Keep up the great work!

Thanks, Sticks! Appreciate you reading through! The Heralds are a great choice.

Thehealthiestscratch wrote:

I think a second team in Yubay is a little ahead of itself. I get they have fans but that optimism is crazy when considering it was the first year and 29 points out of a playoff spot! Think the Heralds do it this time. Still a very large divide from 1st to 4th

Well Yubay is a little crazy. Money is tough to come by in these early days for these teams so the major cash flow from the Falcons turned some heads. One benefit is there is already a second arena in the city that could house a team. A very significant proposal by a deep-pocketed owner would have to catch the eye of Commissioner Marcotte to make it happen though. We'll see.

I think people were just happy that there wasn't a team with a single digit in the win column. For Yubay, 29 points out seems far but really with 20-24 wins and a few more ties essentially being the baseline for a 4-seed, they're closer to contention than many think. The growth of Geno Pasternak and Von Wentz in goal will be the key.

ThisIsFine wrote:

I think most of the fans feel the same way too. The trend for league wide competition appears to be tending up which is much needed for the league. I can confirm that while the next couple of expansions are pretty much already set, pending certain seasonal criteria, there will be a fan council vote for expansion heading into the late 70's - early 80's which should be fun since the league could go so many directions.

Maybe someday San Estas will turn a Vegas Golden Knights, but don't hold your breath.

AHS Admin. Creator of the THLPUCHWHA: Redux and Retroliga.

7/23/2019 11:59 am  #67

I’ll sign on as a whales fan for now, love the series!

May or may not be a Celtics fan after July 1st

7/24/2019 2:10 am  #68

JG36 wrote:

I’ll sign on as a whales fan for now, love the series!

Good choice! Thank you!

7/24/2019 2:35 am  #69

1962 PLAYOFFS

Semi-Finals

1 Chasonne Heralds vs 4 Kirkenport Captains (CHA wins 4-1)
The Kirk Boys took the Heralds by surprise in Game 1 with bruising play and a nifty game-winner by Byron Peachey. A pair of 3-2 wins by Chasonne took the series right back and the Heralds proceeded to advance in 5 games even though the Captains made it tough on Nat Marchant in goal. Reigning MVP Paul Kauffman was stellar though and kept the Heralds in line.

2 Port Alrene Anchors vs Portarra Whales (PA wins 4-2)
The series was as advertised with the action and momentum switching sides for each game. A 2OT affair in Game 4 was a Pyrrhic victory for the Anchors as Gary Wisniewski suffered a broken collarbone. The Whales could not take advantage as Port Alrene rose to the occasion to ride the wave of extra adrenaline with their captain sidelined and finish off the series. With Gary Wiz's status in doubt for the Cup though, they'll have a tall order to repeat against Chasonne.

1962 Marcotte Cup Championship Finals

1 Chasonne Heralds vs 2 Port Alrene Anchors
The health of Gary Wisniewski was again the big headline, as the star forward has dealt with many injuries over his career. He had a setback just before the series started and was ruled doubtful to return for the remainder of the season which cast a damper on the matchup though the Heralds didn't care, as they were hellbent on revenge.

Game 1: PA 0 @ CHA 3 – The Heralds came out with a blistering pace as they pummeled Ferdy Haight with 3 goals, including two from Paul Kauffman and one by the Swede, Ingmar Frisk.

Game 2: PA 1 @ CHA 3 – The Anchors scored early on a shot by Rory Burkholder but Chasonne roared back with 3 more goals as Lou D'Angelo led the way.

Game 3: CHA 1 @ PA 0 – With all the pressure on Ferdy Haight to keep the Anchors in the series as the offense had stalled, he nearly pulled off a masterpiece until Paul Kauffman punched in a goal in traffic late in the third period for a tough loss for the Anchors.

Game 4: CHA 1 @ PA 0 (OT) – The Heralds, with Port Alrene on the ropes and the Cup nearly in their grasp, went to war in a tough game as both teams seemed to be fighting to the death. With no score heading into overtime, both teams took extra time before the period started to catch their breaths and talk strategy. The series extension bid for Port Alrene fell short however as the Heralds forward Buddy Dupree scored midway through overtime to seal the series and engrave their name on their first Marcotte Cup. Paul Kauffman was awarded the series MVP.

1962 Marcotte Cup Champions: Chasonne Heralds

7/24/2019 10:34 am  #70

At last! what a roller coaster of a final. Third time's the charm.

Board footera